ADVERTISEMENT

Manley vs Bradley

It’s not my intent to be overly negative. Just realistic. At this juncture, I would just advise caution. I think Manley, Brooks and Huffman will grow a lot this year simply because they’re being thrown into the fire at such a young age. But if Roy had been able to get carter, Bamba, PJ, Knox or any of the other top rated guys, would they have come to Carolina? No.

This isn’t to disparage any of our guys. I’m very pleased with what I’ve seen so far. But in terms of ranking, it’s not the standard we are used to. Roy did not choose any of them over the 5 star or high 4 star bigs.

To reiterate, we need to be cautious here. Two games are not an solid indication of a season, and our young bigs haven’t faced anyone from a P5 conference yet.

I don't disagree at all, just feel like most of us were extremely concerned with our freshman front court kids coming in to the season. While I totally agree that concern was and is well placed, I do think our kids have exceeded the limited expectations most had for them.

I don't disagree at all, just feel like most of us were extremely concerned with our freshman front court kids coming in to the season. While I totally agree that concern was and is well placed, I do think our kids have exceeded the limited expectations most had for them.

I also concur with what you said. Manley has a great touch and will no doubt develop more moves in the post. Brooks has the highest ceiling and I sense a great amount of toughness from Huffman. But I think some are elevating them too quickly is all I’m trying to say.

I’m hoping Roy can pull in Gaffney, or even James Wiseman for 2019. The former being the more likely to come to us.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Some of y’all really dislike TB because he went OAD. Had he came back y’all would be riding his jock on how he the best acc big.
Yep. That's how I feel. Well, I don't "dislike" him, but I do like him less than I would had he returned.

I mean he helped us win games and a championship. So of course I like him. But he also left us in a jam. And some things were said.

When it comes to OADs, he's way behind Brandan and Marvin in my heart.

Yep. That's how I feel. Well, I don't "dislike" him, but I do like him less than I would had he returned.

I mean he helped us win games and a championship. So of course I like him. But he also left us in a jam. And some things were said.

When it comes to OADs, he's way behind Brandan and Marvin in my heart.

Even though he was the only 5 star(besides Felton) to Trust Roy and commit to UNC doing the NCAA scandal when no other recruit wouldn't? Commit to a team that had Meeks and Hicks in front of him.

Interesting

Even though he was the only 5 star(besides Felton) to Trust Roy and commit to UNC doing the NCAA scandal when no other recruit wouldn't? Commit to a team that had Meeks and Hicks in front of him.

Interesting
He wasn't a 5-star then. I give Felton credit for that faith.

I was certainly happy when Tony committed, but that doesn't change the disappointment that he bolted when we really needed him.

I am not the least bit disappointed that he bolted! I do think he should have stayed though. I am disappointed that he chose to imply that Roy or UNC did not use him properly while he was here. That was uncalled for and wildly inaccurate! Every big kid wants to be a stretch this or that now and PGs want to shoot all the time! I don't see anything wrong with telling some of them (TB) that this isn't their actual skill set and others (LM) go ahead and shoot youngster! I think the world has room for Jason Kidds AND Russ Westbrooks too!

As I tell the students at my school: Sometimes love looks a whole lot like punishment, son!

Manley has already exceeded my expectations for his offensive development as a freshmen; his shooting touch is soft, his offensive rebounding impressive, he already has a nice go-to post move, and his stroke at the foul line looks phenomenal. There is still a lot to work on defensively, but I think he graded out pretty well even there against Bucknell.

That said, I remember the 2005-2006 season when UNC played against Illinois early in the year, and Marcus Ginyard had a sensational ending to the game as a freshman, including a fadeaway three pointer from the corner; his efforts almost earned us a comeback win against a stout opponent, and optimism for his potential was sky high. In fact, I visited a forum where several UNC posters at the time pointed out similarities between Marcus Ginyard and Michael Jordan, and talked about how dominant of a force he could be based on his offensive outburst. Needless to say, the potential never did come to fruition, and Ginyard was soundly criticized in 2010 for not being a strong enough leader and offensive threat during that tumultuous season. The lesson for me was to exercise caution in reading too much into a very young player’s career.

I’m glad most of the posts on here have been sensible in their optimism, and I hope it stays that way. Manley is already a fan favorite of mine, and I am really looking forward to his development.

Manley has exceeded most of your expectations, but not me. I was one of the few posters on this board that said this kid would shine. I said the kid had Jamison type moves around the basket and was ridiculed for it. It's early in his career, but if the kid stays healthy, he will be on an NBA roster in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT