ADVERTISEMENT

Multiple reports claiming Calipari is going to Arkansas

Leaving voluntarily? Pushed? Jumped before they lynched him?

Even my son, a most casual college hoops observer, says he can’t believe how poorly Calimari has performed with all the talent he’s had.

Okay, you’re the AD, who do you hire at Kentucky? Names I think you have to ask who will probably say no: Danny Hurley & Jay Wright. Then in no order guys I’d go after: Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl, Nate Oats, Rick Pitino!, this is going to be fun. Who’s your guy?

Okay, you’re the AD, who do you hire at Kentucky? Names I think you have to ask who will probably say no: Danny Hurley & Jay Wright. Then in no order guys I’d go after: Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl, Nate Oats, Rick Pitino!, this is going to be fun. Who’s your guy?
Only name you left out was Scott Drew, which is who Jeff Goodman thinks will get the job.

Billy Donovan would be a strong pick. Bulls fans haven't ever seemed to like him. This could be his chance to get out before getting fired.

Even my son, a most casual college hoops observer, says he can’t believe how poorly Calimari has performed with all the talent he’s had.
UK fans have been chasing him around with pitchforks for a a few years now. Apparently he's close friends with one of Arkansas' billionaire boosters. His wife is originally from the Ozarks.

top five basketball budgets are??

oates, hurley, or drew would be my guess as the top 3 candidates.
Probably hard to figure out how much NIL boosters are putting up for each basketball program on any given year. But the NIL money Arkansas boosters have put up is staggering.

I'd be surprised if Hurley and his wife, two lifelong Northeasterners, would move to Kentucky. Especially with the success he's having at UConn. But UK has to at least try with Hurley and Jay Wright. After that it's gotta be Donovan, Drew, and Oates.

Could be a lot of recruits decommiting and players entering the portal in the coming days.

Reactions: Heelicious
Probably hard to figure out how much NIL boosters are putting up for each basketball program on any given year. But the NIL money Arkansas boosters have put up is staggering.

I'd be surprised if Hurley and his wife, two lifelong Northeasterners, would move to Kentucky. Especially with the success he's having at UConn. But UK has to at least try with Hurley and Jay Wright. After that it's gotta be Donovan, Drew, and Oates.

Could be a lot of recruits decommiting and players entering the portal in the coming days.
agree…hard to imagine leaving uconn for that job, especially now…it’s becoming a destination job quite honestly and he probably feels zero pressure as opposed to kentucky and a handful of others.

top five basketball budgets are??

oates, hurley, or drew would be my guess as the top 3 candidates.
I dont think hurleys going anywhere. He fits in perfect as a bona fide life long northeast ahole and proud of it. I don’t think he’d mix well with the uk program or fan base if things went even a bit sideways which they are bound to do at any program, cyclically.

Reactions: tarheels0015
How close was UNC to getting Boogie Fland during his recruitment?
He seemed to be a heavy Carolina lean until Cadeau committed in December '22 and then Ian Jackson committed a month later. That seemed to change the tide of his recruitment.

Uconn to Kentucky is a lateral move IMO. Outside of a huge pay increase Hurley isn't going. Oats on the other hand is probably going to be the guy unless Bama uses some of that football money to get serious about basketball.

Seems like we should be very interested if it looks like RJ is leaving.

I disagree. That’s less minutes for Drake, Ian and Seth. I’m willing to sacrifice their minutes for RJ to return but not for Boogie Fland. If he wants to come and possibly play the Paxson Wojcik role, fine. Otherwise, his presence hurts development of better players already on the roster.

Gonna be hilarious when this fanbase thats even more delusional than dallas cowboys fans realize none of the players theyve had the last 15 years cares about Kentucky and just wanted to play for Coach Cal

He’s had a rough last few years but how quickly they forget that they were on their way to Indiana level irrelevance and Cal came in and almost immediately made them the top dog. Theres no guarantee that just because youre an elite program that youll stay elite after a legendary coach leaves. Indiana, UCLA have never really gotten back (at least consistently) and Louisville and Nova have had a really hard time too

Gonna be hilarious when this fanbase thats even more delusional than dallas cowboys fans realize none of the players theyve had the last 15 years cares about Kentucky and just wanted to play for Coach Cal

He’s had a rough last few years but how quickly they forget that they were on their way to Indiana level irrelevance and Cal came in and almost immediately made them the top dog. Theres no guarantee that just because youre an elite program that youll stay elite after a legendary coach leaves. Indiana, UCLA have never really gotten back (at least consistently) and Louisville and Nova have had a really hard time too
Absolutely! Great post, including Indiana - after Knight left, nothing more than once per decade on average flash of above mediocrity

Donovan, Wright, Pearl, Oats and Drew are the main names thrown around. I’m not sure if Donovan is over the NBA gig, but he will likely be a top candidate if he’s willing to talk with them. I can’t see their AD wanting Oats based on the vast difference between them in character and ethics.

Cal wins.
uk thinks they’ll pull some awesome coach, but what if they don’t?
Jay Wright has already said no.
Billy Donavan? Probably not.
Cal strolls into a better situation, pressure and financial. Brings his 2024 class to Arkansas…
uk just out there holding their dick…lol

Cal wins.
Cal strolls into a better situation, pressure and financial. Brings his 2024 class to Arkansas…
They’ll get a good coach, it just may be the 4th or 5th guy down the list. A blueblood like uk should swing for the fences first before dropping to the next tier. A guy like Pearl would crawl to Lexington if they want him. Drew is a solid option as well given his relationship with the AD.

Reactions: Occy64
Sometimes your dog gets old and you gotta do what you gotta do.

I'll hate on Calipari for 100 other reasons.
Come on man. I'm not dissing on anybody who's got an old good boy who can't make the rounds anymore. You know that's not what's happening here. Look at that contraption. I'll hate on Calipari for any reason and this was barely a playful dig in the first place.

He would have been on the HiotSeat at UK next year. So he is wise to get out. And sometimes busy just need too move, to change settings, in order to refresh. He might get back to winning league titles at Arkansas.

Who will UK get? That's the big question.

They’ll get a good coach, it just may be the 4th or 5th guy down the list. A blueblood like uk should swing for the fences first before dropping to the next tier. A guy like Pearl would crawl to Lexington if they want him. Drew is a solid option as well given his relationship with the AD.
Pearl or a 215 year old Rick. I'm sure I'm wrong, but gut tells me this is worse for uk than they ever thought.

Cal wins.
Kentucky has won a lot of games without Cal as its head coach. Kentucky has won a lot of National Championships without Cal as its head coach.

I don't know where this "Kentucky is screwed without Calipari" stuff is coming from. They don't need to find someone who can bring peace to the middle east.

Kentucky has won a lot of games without Cal as its head coach. Kentucky has won a lot of National Championships without Cal as its head coach.

I don't know where this "Kentucky is screwed without Calipari" stuff is coming from. They don't need to find someone who can bring peace to the middle east.
I do hope they find another Eddie Sutton or Billy Gillespie.

I will point out that every college job Calipari has left was eventually penalized by the NCAA for infractions that happened under his watch. Hopefully UK gets some of that too.

Reactions: Occy64 and heelbent
I have to assume Cal will drag as many kids he recruited along with him to Arkansas.

He’s probably already been in talks with those kids as soon as he announced he was leaving.
I have to assume Cal was in contact with those kids long before he announced he was leaving

My comment wasn't to suggest uk is "screwed without Calipari". Rather, in the current moment, I think Cal was the winner of the situation. Time will tell who the long term winner is...

Go to Rupp Rafters and check out the thread about them tracking the Plane…It’s supposed to be in NYC now and they are going to offer Danny Boy 12 million a year…

Go to Rupp Rafters and check out the thread about them tracking the Plane…It’s supposed to be in NYC now and they are going to offer Danny Boy 12 million a year…
SEC schools can offer that type money. They’re the cash cow league. Does he love UConn enough to leave $5mil on the table?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT