ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats is the future

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Rich football schools are going to buy up all the best basketball coaches. Basketball is impotent before football, meaning football schools will own basketball over basketball schools.

All the clowns on here talk about how much trash is is but he out coached the shit out of Hubert tonight.
Hubert didn’t make RJ, who is a reliable long range shooter, miss 9 threes and make none. That’s not the coach. That’s the players altogether. He wasn't out coached, his team was outplayed. This isn’t new. I’ve seen superior Dean and Roy teams crap the floor before also. Oats has issues that I’m so glad our HC doesn’t, starting with morals. No one predicted us to win the ACC with that record, come on now…
Let’s give thanks to winning the Reg Season ACC title and see what Coach gets in the portal.

Hubert didn’t make RJ, who is a reliable long range shooter, miss 9 threes and make none. That’s not the coach. That’s the players altogether. He wasn't out coached, his team was outplayed. This isn’t new. I’ve seen superior Dean and Roy teams crap the floor before also. Oats has issues that I’m so glad our HC doesn’t, starting with morals. No one predicted us to win the ACC with that record, come on now…
Let’s give thanks to winning the Reg Season ACC title and see what Coach gets in the portal.
Hubert grew alot as a coach this year and it looks like were going to be in the mix every year going forward but he took a step back tonight

Sitting your 5* PG and your best athlete for a make a wish kid in a Sweet 16 game was coaching malpractice

Unless there is foul trouble or injury there is NO reason Withers should ever even be on the floor with a minute to play in the Sweet 16!

His line up was shit all night!

Unless there is foul trouble or injury there is NO reason Withers should ever even be on the floor with a minute to play in the Sweet 16!

His line up was shit all night!
It amazing that I used to think the same way. It’s all good you do you. I stopped thinking along those lines when I hit 60. Suddenly I still cared but realized no matter what I thought, I wasn’t the coach, and the final score was the final score, and none of it was a life or death situation. Dean many times made me feel the same so I feel your pain, believe me, but the good thing is you woke up this morning and it’s a new day. Some people didn’t. That’s the serious part of life. Some players crap the bed at times, we don’t know why. While some people don’t know what a basketball is.
Hug your wife and kids today, tell them you love em. That’s what’s important brother. Yesterday’s gone, tomorrow’s not here, so we try to live for today the best we can. I can almost promise you one day you will look back and realize it wasn’t that big of a deal, about many things. God Bless, and enjoy your new day. 👍🏻

It amazing that I used to think the same way. It’s all good you do you. I stopped thinking along those lines when I hit 60. Suddenly I still cared but realized no matter what I thought, I wasn’t the coach, and the final score was the final score, and none of it was a life or death situation. Dean many times made me feel the same so I feel your pain, believe me, but the good thing is you woke up this morning and it’s a new day. Some people didn’t. That’s the serious part of life. Some players crap the bed at times, we don’t know why. While some people don’t know what a basketball is.
Hug your wife and kids today, tell them you love em. That’s what’s important brother. Yesterday’s gone, tomorrow’s not here, so we try to live for today the best we can. I can almost promise you one day you will look back and realize it wasn’t that big of a deal, about many things. God Bless, and enjoy your new day. 👍🏻
AND SUNDAYS COMING!

Hubert grew alot as a coach this year and it looks like were going to be in the mix every year going forward but he took a step back tonight

Sitting your 5* PG and your best athlete for a make a wish kid in a Sweet 16 game was coaching malpractice
I seem to remember very well talking to my mother about Dean Smith being the worst coach ever several times, starting in the 1960’s. She would always tell me Dean wasn’t on the floor playing, and we weren’t on the bench coaching so learn to love Carolina or be miserable half the time come tournament time. She tried to get me to understand that we weren’t going to win the ACC or NCAA every year we played. There would be mistakes, there would be choices made she didn’t agree with. In the end it was just a game.
I lost her this past August at 85 years young and up until the end she was always asking how were her Tar Heels doing. That’s a real loss I’m still dealing with.
Through my many years, and many tears after losing big games I finally realized she was right. But that dang Bruce Buckley still gets to me while seeing O’Koren sitting at the scorers table just makes me want to…….
Well see what I mean? As much as I remember it today, it was yesterday and that will always be, just a couple plays that didn’t work. Dean was the GOAT. Let’s give Coach some time. He will make us all proud, then piss everyone off when the team loses again. Don’t linger on the bad, celebrate the good. 👍🏻

Last edited:

I think you guys overvalue 5* and look at what you wanna see.

RJ Davis had 7 assists last night.
Cadeau had 1.

The end of half surge came with Cadeau on the bench. The beginning of 2nd half stagnation that had exactly 1 point in 4 and a half minutes and evaporated our lead was with Cadeau in. In that time period, Cadeau had a turnover, a missed layup, and 2 missed threes. I believe there was also 1 or 2 times he had the ball wide open or down by the goal and passed out of it.

Cadeau, Trimble, and Washington had the worst D Rating on our team last night per sportsreference.

I don't see this better flow that supposedly happened with Cadeau on the court. Him hitting a couple 3s early mitigated the 5 on 4 defense they were playing, but once that stopped the offense was dead with him in. He couldn't make the defense pay for it in any way, and his shots became increasingly more and more off as the game went on. Being a liability at the line, being a non factor on offense to the point the other team ignores you and wants you to shoot, and having one of our worst d ratings last night, and just a singular assist the entire game... I don't see what people wanted here.

RJ had an off night so we lost. We knew this was what likely would be the nail in our coffin if it happened. If he doesn't, we win by 20. Just how basketball goes sometimes.

Nate oats built a historical UNC team in Alabama with a fast-paced offense and a skilled big man. If Hubert is eventually let go, Oats should be high on the list as his replacement.
He looks awesome right now. But before this season, his record at Alabama during the tournament.

2021: Loses as a #2 seed to #11 seed UCLA (S16)
2022: Loses as a #6 seed to #11 seed Notre Dame (1st round)
2023: Loses as a #1 seed to #5 seed San Diego State (S16)

So this was the first time he beat a team seeded higher than them. Depending on what happens against Clemson, this could be the first time he doesn't lose to a team seeded lower than them.

I think Nate Oats is a good coach. I agree with his system of 3s, layups, and free throws. However, that style has a lot of variance in the NCAA Tournament because you just need to have 1 bad shooting game from losing to a much worse team. He doesn't really value throwing the ball inside to a big guy and that formula has proven to have a much higher floor in the NCAA Tournament. It's because big guys are far less likely to have a 4/20 shooting game.

A little bit of recency bias going on here. But I do think he's a good coach.

Reactions: dtodd4475
...Don’t linger on the bad, celebrate the good. 👍🏻
this was a very good carolina team, won the acc, sweet 16. everybody said all year that bama was lights out on offense but didn't play defense. well, in this game they decided to play defense, plus they had a key transfer who stepped up, just as manek did for carolina a couple years ago.

He looks awesome right now. But before this season, his record at Alabama during the tournament.

2021: Loses as a #2 seed to #11 seed UCLA (S16)
2022: Loses as a #6 seed to #11 seed Notre Dame (1st round)
2023: Loses as a #1 seed to #5 seed San Diego State (S16)
A little bit of recency bias going on here. But I do think he's a good coach.

Oats is only in his 5th year and just signed 2 McDonald’s players coming to Alabama this summer. I don’t think they are going away. To make the final four in your fifth year as head coach at a football school is quite an accomplishment.

@keysersosay#1 and @RP12 - besides playing Brandon Miller instead of sitting him, and as far as I know, he was not found guilty of anything, what other controversies would keep you away from oats? The counter argument is that he showed faith and loyalty in a young player.
Also, I don’t like Danny Hurley… But cannot deny the tremendous team he has built a UConn.
neither Alabama or Connecticut get the level of talent recruited at North Carolina and Duke.
I may be missing something, but what ethical issues do either of those coaches present that would prevent a program like North Carolina ever pursuing them?
(that said, I am a Hubert Davis fan and don’t want him to go anywhere.)

Reactions: JimmyinVA

Cadeau had 1.

The end of half surge came with Cadeau on the bench. The beginning of 2nd half stagnation that had exactly 1 point in 4 and a half minutes and evaporated our lead was with Cadeau in. In that time period, Cadeau had a turnover, a missed layup, and 2 missed threes. I believe there was also 1 or 2 times he had the ball wide open or down by the goal and passed out of it.

Cadeau, Trimble, and Washington had the worst D Rating on our team last night per sportsreference.

I don't see this better flow that supposedly happened with Cadeau on the court. Him hitting a couple 3s early mitigated the 5 on 4 defense they were playing, but once that stopped the offense was dead with him in. He couldn't make the defense pay for it in any way, and his shots became increasingly more and more off as the game went on. Being a liability at the line, being a non factor on offense to the point the other team ignores you and wants you to shoot, and having one of our worst d ratings last night, and just a singular assist the entire game... I don't see what people wanted here.

RJ had an off night so we lost. We knew this was what likely would be the nail in our coffin if it happened. If he doesn't, we win by 20. Just how basketball goes sometimes.
☝️This post speaking Facts!! Preach brother Preach!!

So all you bankers, cartoonists, uber drivers, doctors, walmartcashiers, speech therapist, lawyers, janitors, ihop managers, winndixe shoppers, telemarketers, business owners, airline pilots, music teachers, golddiggers, golfers, hunters, tobacco farmers, dope dealers, politicians, musicians, peewee Herman, and all you other spoil biitchzz in between, STOP ACTING like you’re the ACC Coach of the Year!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: gberry78
Oats is only in his 5th year and just signed 2 McDonald’s players coming to Alabama this summer. I don’t think they are going away. To make the final four in your fifth year as head coach at a football school is quite an accomplishment.

@keysersosay#1 and @RP12 - besides playing Brandon Miller instead of sitting him, and as far as I know, he was not found guilty of anything, what other controversies would keep you away from oats? The counter argument is that he showed faith and loyalty in a young player.
Also, I don’t like Danny Hurley… But cannot deny the tremendous team he has built a UConn.
neither Alabama or Connecticut get the level of talent recruited at North Carolina and Duke.
I may be missing something, but what ethical issues do either of those coaches present that would prevent a program like North Carolina ever pursuing them?
(that said, I am a Hubert Davis fan and don’t want him to go anywhere.)

Nate Oats is as crooked as a dog’s hind leg. He looks and talks like a used car salesman and just seems overly douchey. And I haven’t even touched on the shooting situation. If I’m a parent, no thanks.

The SEC has more resources than any other league. Color me unimpressed. Especially considering he didn’t do anything to beat us. We shit the bed. He watched it happen.

Hurley is a first class prick.

GJ-fncobwAAqtlm

There’s more than one way to do it but this is a really efficient shot chart from Alabama against Clemson.

GKAh3arXEAASt4W

This was UConn’s against Illinois.

Cadeau had 1.

EC was our PG for a team that won 29 games, won the ACC regular season and earned a one seed. You don't try to experiment in the second half of a S16 game that you are leading at halftime. Go with what got you there. Hubert had a brain fart. He still had an overall great season, though.

EC was our PG for a team that won 29 games, won the ACC regular season and earned a one seed. You don't try to experiment in the second half of a S16 game that you are leading at halftime. Go with what got you there. Hubert had a brain fart. He still had an overall great season, though.
That needed to be highlighted.

@WoadBlue enjoys it whenever UNC loses at any sport but football. He delights in rubbing salt into the wound afterwards. He’s a jerk.
Is your defining stupidity getting lessened somehow? Youn used two assert that I loved the football team losing.

At least for football, have you figured out that it is the losing that guarantees that people will comment ions how and why and proffer suggestions for improvement?

GJ-fncobwAAqtlm

There’s more than one way to do it but this is a really efficient shot chart from Alabama against Clemson.

GKAh3arXEAASt4W

This was UConn’s against Illinois.
Great post and pics. Yes - Oats and Alabama and I guess Hurley and UConn have honed in on a strategy of maximizing points per possession and efg% - which I think started from DES - but it says most efficient places to score in this order are
1) ft line
2) layups / dunks
3) 3 pt fgs

and almost any 2 pt jump shot especially 15+ feet is not a desired, productive shot. This makes sense unless you have guys with great midrange games - but then why not have them shoot from 3 instead?

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel0910
I disagree with your statements because they just aren't really factually correct as you stated them. Cadeau was not our starting point guard the entire season. He did eventually take over. So that part is incorrect.

We did not experiment when up at halftime. Cadeau played less than half of the 1st half. He started the second half with us in the lead and when that lead completely fizzled away, including from errors of his own, he was sent back to the bench.

The narrative could easily be that Hubert tried everything he could to keep Cadeau on the floor and for us to still win, relenting to benching him only when we couldn't take the lead with him.

It's very easy to assess blame and scapegoat a reason. Make sure your numbers and times and etc also back up your assertion.

You could be right with your assessment Cadeau should have played more, but not with the reasoning you provided.

Our offense scored at a higher rate with Cadeau on the bench. Cadeau was one of the worst defenders according to defense rating that game. He was left unguarded from 12 feet essentially the entire game on offense allowing an extra defender on every possession. 40% is a good percentage from three, but it's not really a good percentage from a completely unguarded shooter. Nor did it seem like it would have continued as the last 3 misses got further and further off until literally an airball. (The misses weren't close misses).

This is what happened in the game. This is why Hubert made the decision he did. At 4 minutes 30 seconds into the 2nd half. And also in the 1st half before our scoring surge.

I disagree with your statements because they just aren't really factually correct as you stated them. Cadeau was not our starting point guard the entire season. He did eventually take over. So that part is incorrect.
Well, if you read my post, I never said anything about starting, so my suggestion is to...

Make sure your numbers and times and etc also back up your assertion

Our offense scored at a higher rate with Cadeau on the bench.
Yes, but context is a good thing to use. A good chunk of those points in the second half were from FT, which had very little to do with EC being on the bench. Bottom line, I've never heard of a coach pulling their starting PG, which puts more pressure on your best player (who was already struggling) in that situation. Not sure why anyone would disagree to be honest. It's perfectly ok to say Hubert just made a mistake.

Reactions: RP12
Rich football schools are going to buy up all the best basketball coaches. Basketball is impotent before football, meaning football schools will own basketball over basketball schools.
Spoken by a guy that cares NOTHING for UNC basketball, in fact seems to be jealous about the success of UNC basketball. To love the UNC football program does not require that you allow your jealousy of UNC basketball success to tarnish your view of the basketball program. Most of us very actively LOVE UNC football, we want nothing more than UNC football to see a similar level of success as the basketball program, that is absolutely my position.

But this Word guy love to tag a guy like me, that does love UNC basketball and has his whole life as Basketball firsters, yeah, he has his own little cute tag on every one of you that LOVE UNC basketball, as if we can't love BOTH but gravitate more to the basketball program because we simply do not like losing big time games and that is what UNC football has given us, heart break and little more. I LOVE UNC football, I do not like knowing that every season will end up in heart break. We may lose to a team like Bama in basketball but we can always look up and see banners that prove UNC seasons do not always end up in hear break, that some seasons UNC basketball ends up as the best of the best and I wish that were true of our football program.

Reactions: Heelicious
Well, if you read my post, I never said anything about starting, so my suggestion is to...

Yes, but context is a good thing to use. A good chunk of those points in the second half were from FT, which had very little to do with EC being on the bench. Bottom line, I've never heard of a coach pulling their starting PG, which puts more pressure on your best player (who was already struggling) in that situation. Not sure why anyone would disagree to be honest. It's perfectly ok to say Hubert just made a mistake.
Noticed your tag line for all your posts, "You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy". Words from a wonderful young woman that went by the name of Night Bird, before she succumbed to cancer. Respect for that!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT