ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Board Votes to Allow Athlete Compensation

I'm afraid they've opened up Pandora's Box and there's no putting the lid back on once it's been taken off.
i share your concern. maybe i'm wrong but star players making big money while still in school could be a distraction and poison for team chemistry. i like the dean smith philosophy where role players are just as important to team success. the playmakers setting up the scorer, setting screens, the blockers clearing a path and protecting the QB --- where's their cash?

i share your concern. maybe i'm wrong but star players making big money while still in school could be a distraction and poison for team chemistry. i like the dean smith philosophy where role players are just as important to team success. the playmakers setting up the scorer, setting screens, the blockers clearing a path and protecting the QB --- where's their cash?
Social media influencer, YouTube, basketball camps, etc.

ETA: Life isn't fair though, so the money won't be equal. The downfall of living in a capitalist society. Excessive media attention for one player on a team doesn't seem to be a problem for team chemistry though.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
5 star QB from Missouri... offers from Alabama, Missouri, Texas, Tennessee..

Where does he stand to make the most money going to college? Does Missouri have a chance? NOPE

If kids are able to make their own money it diminishes the influence of the under the table payments the top level recruits are getting from dirty coaches and boosters. Especially for the lower to lower middle class kids who need the money.

If kids are able to make their own money it diminishes the influence of the under the table payments the top level recruits are getting from dirty coaches and boosters. Especially for the lower to lower middle class kids who need the money.

If you need money that bad then dont go to college and get a job like the ones do that are not athletic enough to get a scholarship. There are actually poor kids that can't run a 4.3 or throw a ball in a hoop.

If you need money that bad then dont go to college and get a job like the ones do that are not athletic enough to get a scholarship. There are actually poor kids that can't run a 4.3 or throw a ball in a hoop.

Why do that when they can just make money on their name and likeness?

Honestly, watching the old timers pitch a hissy fit over these kids getting paid for their own property is one of the best parts about this.

Honestly, watching the old timers pitch a hissy fit over these kids getting paid for their own property is one of the best parts about this.

The "old timers" are the ones with common sense and see this will be a disaster. I noticed you didnt comment on my Missouri example... because you have no argument.

College is designed for students to get a degree so they can get a job after college to make money.

The "old timers" are the ones with common sense and see this will be a disaster. I noticed you didnt comment on my Missouri example... because you have no argument.

College is designed for students to get a degree so they can get a job after college to make money.

Your example didn’t even make sense. How many five star QB’s choose Missouri over Alabama now? Spoiler: not very many.

Every time you resort to the “old timers” thing, you lose your credibility. Quit pigeonholing people and argue the merits of your case. When I have access to a laptop, I will tell you why I think this poses more questions than we have answers for.

Well Blaine Gabbert is one.. but you missed the point anyway.

Okay so you named literally one. It’s not much of a secret that Bama runs a dirty program and pays players. Players can make money on their name and likeness at literally any school. You think Lamar Jackson would have had to go to bama to make money?

Reactions: tarheel0910
Every time you resort to the “old timers” thing, you lose your credibility. Quit pigeonholing people and argue the merits of your case. When I have access to a laptop, I will tell you why I think this poses more questions than we have answers for.

Every time? Lol

Okay so you named literally one. It’s not much of a secret that Bama runs a dirty program and pays players. Players can make money on their name and likeness at literally any school. You think Lamar Jackson would have had to go to bama to make money?

Like I said.. you missed the point. So you are ok with a player picking a school based on where he can get the best endorsement deal? So a 5 star running back is down to Georgia, FSU and LSU.. he picks based on who pays more and you are ok with that?

Like I said.. you missed the point. So you are ok with a player picking a school based on where he can get the best endorsement deal? So a 5 star running back is down to Georgia, FSU and LSU.. he picks based on who pays more and you are ok with that?

Players are already picking based on which school pays more, except now it’s all under the table. These endorsement deals can have nothing to do with the university or conference. They made that clear in the article.

Why should players not have the right to earn income on their property? They own their name and likeness. The NCAA has no right to prevent them from selling it.

Players are already picking based on which school pays more, except now it’s all under the table. These endorsement deals can have nothing to do with the university or conference. They made that clear in the article.

Why should players not have the right to earn income on their property? They own their name and likeness. The NCAA has no right to prevent them from selling it.

Athens Chevrolet in Athens GA, Gerry Lane Chevrolet in Baton Rouge La, and Dale Earnhardt Jr Chevrolet in Tallahassee would be bidding on the 5 star running back.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Athens Chevrolet in Athens GA, Gerry Lane Chevrolet in Baton Rouge La, and Dale Earnhardt Jr Chevrolet in Tallahassee would be bidding on the 5 star running back.

There are car dealerships around chapel hill too. You know who else owns a car dealership? Nick Saban. Maybe you should look into how many bama players have been given expensive cars during their time there.

Can you explain to me how this is worse than boosters and coaches giving players illegitimate cash under the table? Or renting an expensive house in a local gated neighborhood to a player’s parents for practically nothing?

This is legitimate, taxable income with enforceable contracts. That protects players and gives them the ability to make some money at any virtually any school.

There are car dealerships around chapel hill too. You know who else owns a car dealership? Nick Saban. Maybe you should look into how many bama players have been given expensive cars during their time there.

Can you explain to me how this is worse than boosters and coaches giving players illegitimate cash under the table? Or renting an expensive house in a local gated neighborhood to a player’s parents for practically nothing?

This is legitimate, taxable income with enforceable contracts. That protects players and gives them the ability to make some money at any virtually any school.

Difference is before it was against the rules and if caught the school was punished. Somewhat kept things in check. Now it will be a free for all. What will happen is the gap between the top 8 in football and the rest will widen. Schools in the 10-20 range will be stuck there. Schools outside the top 30 have no chance.

Sure there are car dealerships in Chapel Hill.. just like in Winston Salem.. just like in Greenville.. but they dont have the market like a Bama, LSU, Georgia can provide.

Difference is before it was against the rules and if caught the school was punished. Somewhat kept things in check. Now it will be a free for all. What will happen is the gap between the top 8 in football and the rest will widen. Schools in the 10-20 range will be stuck there. Schools outside the top 30 have no chance.

Sure there are car dealerships in Chapel Hill.. just like in Winston Salem.. just like in Greenville.. but they dont have the market like a Bama, LSU, Georgia can provide.

It hasn’t kept things in check at all. It’s gotten progressively worse over time with no evidence of slowing down. The NCAA has virtually no way of tracking that cash or preventing it from exchanging hands.

You’re also ignoring the fact that there are more high profile players to compete with for endorsements or jersey sales at UGA or Bama. Or UNC if you’re a basketball player. I see no evidence that this would widen the gap. If anything I can see it driving high profile players to different programs because they don’t have to take the booster cash from the blue bloods that would pay them under the table. Why jeopardize your career by taking dirty money when you can probably make even more with legit endorsement deals. A great player also isn’t going to just get endorsements from local businesses. They can market themselves on a global scale and develop their brand and business savvy while they’re playing college ball. If I’m Sam Howell then I know a huge chunk of football jersey’s that UNC sells are going to have my name on the back. That’s probably not the case at Bama or UGA.

You can argue against it all you want. But it’s coming one way or the other. College athletics has become a massive industry, and the only people not getting a piece of the pie are the athletes that put asses in the seats. Acting like colleges are generous for letting them go to school for free while they generate millions in income for the universities is naive.

The gap can't really get any wider in football. The rosters of the top 4 or 5 programs are pretty much completely saturated with 4 and 5 star talent.

Last edited:
It hasn’t kept things in check at all. It’s gotten progressively worse over time with no evidence of slowing down. The NCAA has virtually no way of tracking that cash or preventing it from exchanging hands.

You’re also ignoring the fact that there are more high profile players to compete with for endorsements or jersey sales at UGA or Bama. Or UNC if you’re a basketball player. I see no evidence that this would widen the gap. If anything I can see it driving high profile players to different programs because they don’t have to take the booster cash from the blue bloods that would pay them under the table. Why jeopardize your career by taking dirty money when you can probably make even more with legit endorsement deals. A great player also isn’t going to just get endorsements from local businesses. They can market themselves on a global scale and develop their brand and business savvy while they’re playing college ball. If I’m Sam Howell then I know a huge chunk of football jersey’s that UNC sells are going to have my name on the back. That’s probably not the case at Bama or UGA.

You can argue against it all you want. But it’s coming one way or the other. College athletics has become a massive industry, and the only people not getting a piece of the pie are the athletes that put asses in the seats. Acting like colleges are generous for letting them go to school for free while they generate millions in income for the universities is naive.

You seem to overlook the fact that alot of students that are not "stars" are on scholarship because of the football and basketball money. Also the football/basketball money funds other sports. So it is generous for a college to give scholarships to so many that dont bring in money to the University.

You seem to overlook the fact that alot of students that are not "stars" are on scholarship because of the football and basketball money. Also the football/basketball money funds other sports. So it is generous for a college to give scholarships to so many that dont bring in money to the University.

You're making my point for me. These players generate enough revenue to pay for other people to go to school, and for other sports to stay afloat, but they shouldn't be allowed to make a little money from endorsements or jersey sales? That's crazy.

Also don't forget that these players are basically endorsing brands anyways. Nike and the Jordan brand endorse UNC so that spectators see the players on the court wearing their gear. And they don't get compensated for that either. They're making money for everyone but themselves.

You're making my point for me. These players generate enough revenue to pay for other people to go to school, and for other sports to stay afloat, but they shouldn't be allowed to make a little money from endorsements or jersey sales? That's crazy.

Also don't forget that these players are basically endorsing brands anyways. Nike and the Jordan brand endorse UNC so that spectators see the players on the court wearing their gear. And they don't get compensated for that either. They're making money for everyone but themselves.

College provides alot to these players. Scholarship is worth a large amount of money. The players have access to the best training and the ability to display their skills in front of professional scouts. They also have an opportunity to get a college degree at no out of pocket cost. A full four year ride could be several hundred thousand dollars. People brush over this like it's nothing.The university gets money from the games to pay for expenses... chartered flights/hotels/salaries for coaches.. etc.

College provides alot to these players. Scholarship is worth a large amount of money. The players have access to the best training and the ability to display their skills in front of professional scouts. They also have an opportunity to get a college degree at no out of pocket cost. A full four year ride could be several hundred thousand dollars. People brush over this like it's nothing.The university gets money from the games to pay for expenses... chartered flights/hotels/salaries for coaches.. etc.

Those costs to the university pale in comparison to the benefits that top level athletes provide back to the university. They can train and display their skills in developmental leagues or Europe. And more and more athletes will continue to go in that direction if they can't earn income from their name and likeness in college.

So the players who generate the revenue that pay for scholarships and training in non revenue sports should get the same benefits as the scholarship athletes in those non revenue sports? If a top level basketball player or football player brings in huge sums of money, why shouldn't they be compensated more than a lacrosse or soccer player?

Between the endorsement deals that universities have, ticket sales, tv deals, and merchandise they are making huge amounts of profit after paying for those expenses.

Those costs to the university pale in comparison to the benefits that top level athletes provide back to the university. They can train and display their skills in developmental leagues or Europe. And more and more athletes will continue to go in that direction if they can't earn income from their name and likeness in college.

So the players who generate the revenue that pay for scholarships and training in non revenue sports should get the same benefits as the scholarship athletes in those non revenue sports? If a top level basketball player or football player brings in huge sums of money, why shouldn't they be compensated more than a lacrosse or soccer player?

Between the endorsement deals that universities have, ticket sales, tv deals, and merchandise they are making huge amounts of profit after paying for those expenses.

2017-18 UNC athletic dept brought in 104 million and paid out 102 million for a profit of 2 million. Last year Ohio State lost money on the athletic dept. Lot of schools actually lose money on athletics. Not the huge amount of profit that you believe.

2017-18 UNC athletic dept brought in 104 million and paid out 102 million for a profit of 2 million. Last year Ohio State lost money on the athletic dept. Lot of schools actually lose money on athletics. Not the huge amount of profit that you believe.

That's after paying out huge salaries for multiple coaching staffs, and includes the programs that take huge losses. I would presume that the football and basketball program on their own are quite profitable. And UNC is also in the process of doing some pretty large scale facility upgrades.

Either way, the players can't be paid from the university. So even if the athletic dept breaks even or takes a loss, the top level players are still effectively subsidizing the other scholarships and generating massive amounts of revenue and notoriety for the university. After Clemson started winning national championships in football, the applications for the university shot up. As a result they have upped the academic standards for acceptance, and have done massive upgrades and expansion to the campus' academic faciliities.

I think we've both said our piece. At the end of the day the NCAA has no right to block players from selling their own property.

I wouldn't get too worked up over this because they still have a lot of questions to answer. For example, if I'm a booster, can I offer a college student athlete $100k to sign autographs at my car dealership over the weekend during the offseason?

I wouldn't get too worked up over this because they still have a lot of questions to answer. For example, if I'm a booster, can I offer a college student athlete $100k to sign autographs at my car dealership over the weekend during the offseason?
They've already said the money can't come from boosters. I would think that includes your hypothetical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT