ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Board Votes to Allow Athlete Compensation

Gotcha. I know Greg Sankey mentioned the leadership committee still has to address some issues and I thought that was one but I could be wrong.
I think the biggest issues they still have to deal with is how to monitor it and getting the federal government to create some laws to supercede the state laws already in place.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I have no issue with the kids being able to make money. After all, they are the unpaid actors on the stage that make millions for a lot of universities, coaches, and the NCAA itself. But that being said, there is going to be a backside to this deal that the coaches will have to deal with. How is the guard going to react to the fact that he may make practically nothing while the more well known skill players are walking around with flush pockets? And every team will have that one loud mouth that wants to brag about how much he is raking in. Jealousy doesn't go over well in a locker room. And this sets the stage for plenty of that to happen.

I have no issue with the kids being able to make money. After all, they are the unpaid actors on the stage that make millions for a lot of universities, coaches, and the NCAA itself. But that being said, there is going to be a backside to this deal that the coaches will have to deal with. How is the guard going to react to the fact that he may make practically nothing while the more well known skill players are walking around with flush pockets? And every team will have that one loud mouth that wants to brag about how much he is raking in. Jealousy doesn't go over well in a locker room. And this sets the stage for plenty of that to happen.
Eh, you already have major inequality with media exposure. I don't think money will make a difference.

This was inevitable. Public sentiment is on the side of these kids being compensated, in one form or another, beyond a college scholarship, and it's been trending that way for a while. No reason to get bent out of shape over something you have no control over. I'm hopeful they can find a way to make it a win-win for everyone. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Looks like you're still upset @uncboy10 embarrassed you in this thread.

jordanheadline.jpg

Point out this embarrassment.. thanks in advance. You said money will not make a difference.. care to revise that statement? You are aware that this discussion is about money for the players?
It will not make a difference in team chemistry. That was the context. Not sure why you are being so irritable.

You have really hurt this guy, @uncboy10. You need to apologize.

It will not make a difference in team chemistry. That was the context. Not sure why you are being so irritable.

You have really hurt this guy, @uncboy10. You need to apologize.

Waiting on the followup post on the embarrassment. So the lineman busting his butt getting no money will be fine with the running back he is blocking for gets paid?.

Waiting on the followup post on the embarrassment. So the lineman busting his butt getting no money will be fine with the running back he is blocking for gets paid?.
You're assuming he will make no money. He will. But even if he doesn't, no he won't be upset enough to have an impact on chemistry.

You're assuming he will make no money. He will. But even if he doesn't, no he won't be upset enough to have an impact on chemistry.

All five lineman on a team will not get paid.. it will cause issues. To think otherwise is being naive.

All five lineman on a team will not get paid.. it will cause issues. To think otherwise is being naive.

Even if you were right, how is that different than knowing the running back they block for got a free car and a bunch of cash from boosters? At least now they have an opportunity to earn some legit money.

Talk about naive...

Even if you were right, how is that different than knowing the running back they block for got a free car and a bunch of cash from boosters? At least now they have an opportunity to earn some legit money.

Talk about naive...

Legal verse illegal.. a friend of mine could be making a thousand dollars a day selling crack but I dont want a dime of that money. Also you act like every running back was getting a car... if it happened it was rare.

Legal verse illegal.. a friend of mine could be making a thousand dollars a day selling crack but I dont want a dime of that money. Also you act like every running back was getting a car... if it happened it was rare.

Yeah I’d be a lot happier knowing my friend and teammate was legally earning his money. Thanks for proving my point.

If you believe college players getting paid under the table is rare then you are spectacularly naive.

Yeah I’d be a lot happier knowing my friend and teammate was legally earning his money. Thanks for proving my point.

If you believe college players getting paid under the table is rare then you are spectacularly naive.

So we are back to the point of some players getting money while other members of the team get nothing. So you would be fine putting in the work on the OL and not getting any money while the running back and QB were getting paid?

So we are back to the point of some players getting money while other members of the team get nothing. So you would be fine putting in the work on the OL and not getting any money while the running back and QB were getting paid?

Some players already are getting money while others don't get anything. It's always better for the money to be legit. Now the offensive linemen has the option to earn money in ways that don't involve sleazy boosters, like any other student. I don't understand why this is so hard for you.

Reactions: tarheel0910
As to jealousy from O- lineman starting because of skill position stars reaping more then them off the field, I think they have always got less attention then skill positions in the media, public notoriety, Heismann recognition, etc.. I think the QB or star RB getting more perks has been well established since their high school days, and it continues to through the NFL. The star is the star.

That is why it is so common for the star RB's/QB's to buy expensive gifts often for the big fellas doing the dirty work on the line at the end of the season even in the NFL where the lineman are paid well already. This money the college kids will earn is from the players popularity to the general public off the field, (literally their likeness and name) not from the school. I think the linemen are fully accustomed to that "shine" fairly or unfairly falling to the "glamour positions" 9 times out of 10.

Last edited:
As to jealousy from O- lineman starting because of skill position stars reaping more then them off the field, I think they have always got less attention then skill positions in the media, public notoriety, Heismann recognition, etc.. I think the QB or star RB getting more perks has been well established since their high school days, and it continues to through the NFL. The star is the star.

That is why it is so common for the star RB's/QB's to buy expensive gifts often for the big fellas doing the dirty work on the line at the end of the season even in the NFL where the lineman are paid well already. This money the college kids will earn is from the players popularity to the general public off the field, (literally their likeness and name) not from the school. I think the linemen are fully accustomed to that "shine" fairly or unfairly falling to the "glamour positions" 9 times out of 10.
And the star QB can show his appreciation by buying his OL new cars anyway right? That’ll keep them happy.

And the star QB can show his appreciation by buying his OL new cars anyway right? That’ll keep them happy.
or a shot and a beer, guess it's up to him. The attention the QB (or star players in general) gets at the high school dance or anywhere in general has always been different. The envy issues or lack there of among teammates is part of the dynamic of a team.

Last edited:
Some players already are getting money while others don't get anything. It's always better for the money to be legit. Now the offensive linemen has the option to earn money in ways that don't involve sleazy boosters, like any other student. I don't understand why this is so hard for you.

EVERY PLAYER that contributes to the success of the team will NOT get paid. Why is this so hard for you?

or a shot and a beer, guess it's up to him. The attention the QB (or star players in general) gets at the high school dance or anywhere in general has always been different. The envy issues or lack there of among teammates is part of the dynamic of a team.

Attention is one thing.. start talking about money and things change.

EVERY PLAYER that contributes to the success of the team will NOT get paid. Why is this so hard for you?

Every player that contributes to the success of the team isn't getting paid right now. So even if the offensive linemen couldn't earn from their name and likeness (they can), its still better for the players who do make money to do it legitimately.

Every player has equal opportunity to use their name and likeness. The guys who don't use it to earn money still get a scholarship, which you seem to think is already enough. So what are you complaining about?

Every player that contributes to the success of the team isn't getting paid right now. So even if the offensive linemen couldn't earn from their name and likeness (they can), its still better for the players who do make money to do it legitimately.

Every player has equal opportunity to use their name and likeness. The guys who don't use it to earn money still get a scholarship, which you seem to think is already enough. So what are you complaining about?

You are right.. some players getting money while others get nothing will work out great.

Attention is one thing.. start talking about money and things change.
My take is that the money is from outside of the team. They are accustomed to the star college player getting more benefits, heck even in high school, every level. All the way around women, money, 2nd chances, you name it. If the matinee idol QB is getting more endorsement opportunities or followers on social media, which he is cashing in on, that is expected.

How the star players interact with the rest of the team is always a dynamic affecting team chemistry. If a average player or bench player tends to be the jealous type, or the star likes to gloat when on the top of the pile, this has more to do with how it will affect them.

Last edited:
All five lineman on a team will not get paid
100% false lol. Every single player on the the football team can get paid -- it's up to them. If all 85 scholarship players build up enough of a brand to monetize their IG/Snapchat/YouTube channel/Tik Tok/podcast/apparel line/et al, then all 85 players will receive money.

All this NLI thing does is allow players to monetize things they have the ability to monetize. I would encourage you to actually read the releases on his. The NCAA is going to bury endorsements from anyone even resembling a booster in red tape that the school's compliance office will have to maneuver through. Not that much is going to change.

A DIII point guard who creates an app is just as likely to make money while playing in college under this NLI legislation as a free safety for a P5 school.

100% false lol. Every single player on the the football team can get paid -- it's up to them. If all 85 scholarship players build up enough of a brand to monetize their IG/Snapchat/YouTube channel/Tik Tok/podcast/apparel line/et al, then all 85 players will receive money.

All this NLI thing does is allow players to monetize things they have the ability to monetize. I would encourage you to actually read the releases on his. The NCAA is going to bury endorsements from anyone even resembling a booster in red tape that the school's compliance office will have to maneuver through. Not that much is going to change.

A DIII point guard who creates an app is just as likely to make money while playing in college under this NLI legislation as a free safety for a P5 school.
Exactly. To be fair, I don't think a lot of the older generation knows that you can make money off of social media. The thing that immediately comes to mind for them is shoe companies and car dealers. I'd be willing to bet most of the money made through the new rules won't be from either of those sources. It will be social media, camps and autographs.

Gotta say, @uncboy10 has done yeoman's work in this thread. However, I do appreciate that the discussion has remained civil enough to not devolve into useless name-calling.

It's a multi-layered issue and there's not necessarily "one side vs. the other."

For instance: I am young (30), but I'm very opposed to schools ever directly paying college athletes a salary. That should never, ever happen IMO and would kill the (albeit small) competitive balance of P5 football. I'm also very opposed to the all-too-often used logic "the scholarship these kids get is worthless and shouldn't even be considered when talking about compensation." Uhhhh BS. There's countless examples of athletes, even those who only went to college as a means to prepare for the NFL/NBA, who have ultimately leveraged that degree into a successful post-sports career. That free degree, even if it's in a forced easy major like communications, is very valuable.

On the flip side, I'm very against those who don't want these kids to see a dime other their scholarship. For one, I'm not sure that some of the "don't pay them anything" crowd is aware that these players already get paid a stipend. This is above and beyond their scholarship. For instance, UNC divvies the player payments on a monthly basis ("Cost of Attendance" checks). Other schools do it by semester. So... players are already getting paid. So if you are clinging to a worldview that these are truly amateurs other than their scholarships and books... that's wrong.

The Olympic Model, IMO, which is what this NLI is, is the perfect marriage of keeping the schools away from paying players while simultaneously letting athletes make money on their NLI when applicable.

Finally, the argument about how this might impact team chemistry is a worthy discussion, but I also think it's a tad on the straw man side. For one, just check out players' Twitters. A lot of folks try to claim that teammates will be pissed when star players skip bowl games. Maybe some are pissed about it, but the overwhelming majority of teammates always tweet something to the effect of "I appreciate it's a business decision for you! Go get your money!" These teammates aren't suddenly going to hate the star QB or RB for making a few extra bucks. It's no different than how things are now. The role-player WR knows he isn't going to the pros. Does that mean he hates his star QB who is going to the pros? No. Why would that change now?

Exactly. To be fair, I don't think a lot of the older generation knows that you can make money off of social media. The thing that immediately comes to mind for them is shoe companies and car dealers. I'd be willing to bet most of the money made through the new rules won't be from either of those sources. It will be social media, camps and autographs.
IMO, the #1 money-maker from this will be appearance fees. It will be the following, to illustrate it on a UNC-specific level:

It's Saturday, May 1st. The NCAAT is over and workouts for the next season haven't started yet, meaning UNC basketball players aren't doing much other than going to class and chilling. Spring Football has also just ended so UNC football players are recovering from that and aren't doing much other than going to class and chilling. Knowing final exams are getting close and students want to blow off steam, Top of the Hill decides to host a Saturday night party that's pay-to-play. To market the party, TopO contracts with (returning for next season) Johnny Quarterback and (returning for next season) Darius PowerForward to both be present at TopO for the entirety of the party. As such, TopO advertises on Facebook/Twitter/IG and in the DTH about the party and uses PowerForward and Quarterback's name, image, and likeness (but not any UNC or Carolina logos because that's not allowed under this thing) in the ads.

TopO pays each of them X amount of money for the appearance, be it $500, $1,000, $5,000, what have you.

Think of the possibilities for appearance fees in the college town, the nearest big metro, and the hometown of the athlete:
- new car dealership opening? Pay a star athlete an appearance fee to be there...... just like car dealerships already do now with pro athletes
- new Firehouse Subs location opening? Pay Jimmy Wide Receiver $500 to meet and greet with customers
- corporate golf outing? Pay Terry Free Safety $500 to be in a foursome with a prospective customer

I wouldn't get too worked up over this because they still have a lot of questions to answer. For example, if I'm a booster, can I offer a college student athlete $100k to sign autographs at my car dealership over the weekend during the offseason?
I have a dozen questions that can't be answered at this point by anyone here or by the NCAA for that matter. I happen to think they've opened Pandora's Box and will rue the day that they did. But there's nothing to be done except to see how they define the parameters and wait for the repercussions that ensue. Only then will we know how much damage has been done. I'm not going to waste any more energy on trying to guess what is going to happen. Others can knock themselves out.

IMO, the #1 money-maker from this will be appearance fees. It will be the following, to illustrate it on a UNC-specific level:

It's Saturday, May 1st. The NCAAT is over and workouts for the next season haven't started yet, meaning UNC basketball players aren't doing much other than going to class and chilling. Spring Football has also just ended so UNC football players are recovering from that and aren't doing much other than going to class and chilling. Knowing final exams are getting close and students want to blow off steam, Top of the Hill decides to host a Saturday night party that's pay-to-play. To market the party, TopO contracts with (returning for next season) Johnny Quarterback and (returning for next season) Darius PowerForward to both be present at TopO for the entirety of the party. As such, TopO advertises on Facebook/Twitter/IG and in the DTH about the party and uses PowerForward and Quarterback's name, image, and likeness (but not any UNC or Carolina logos because that's not allowed under this thing) in the ads.

TopO pays each of them X amount of money for the appearance, be it $500, $1,000, $5,000, what have you.

Think of the possibilities for appearance fees in the college town, the nearest big metro, and the hometown of the athlete:
- new car dealership opening? Pay a star athlete an appearance fee to be there...... just like car dealerships already do now with pro athletes
- new Firehouse Subs location opening? Pay Jimmy Wide Receiver $500 to meet and greet with customers
- corporate golf outing? Pay Terry Free Safety $500 to be in a foursome with a prospective customer
No doubt there will be some money from that. I still think social media/YouTube is going to be the money makers. I saw an estimate somewhere saying Cole could have easily made six figures off of social media this year. Imagine what Sam could have made. The OL guys we're talking about are going to be getting their money from that type of stuff, because no one shows up to the party to see an OL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT