ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA tournament - dook or Mich St. as overall number one seed not impossible

Bubspub88

Hall of Famer
Jun 2, 2006
I was reading some things about upcoming NCAA tourny, yes I'm optimistic the Heels get in despite last night. The replacement issue could make some things interesting. Each team must have 7 straight negative testing days among the players/coaches. If a team has to pull out before games start on Thursday their slot is filled by one of first four out - right now that's Minnesota, Stanford, Richmond and Mich St, with dook, GT, Ole Miss and Utah St. next four out. There is no reseeding so if Gonzaga were to have to pull out right now Minnesota would take their spot as number one overall seed.

Once the tourny actually tips there is no replacing and the covid-impacted team would have to forfeit. Our game against dook takes on added importance, a dook win and they could jump into "first four out" and still backdoor into tournament. Tourny gonna be very interesting with a more attention paid from Selection Sunday to when games finally tip. Teams like Baylor or FSU that have already had covid breaks may be smart to skip conf tournaments if allowed.

If things fall a certain way we could also see UNC/dook in the ncaa tournament in a 2nd or 3rd round game. Could be a crazy March Madness this year.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I have felt for a good bit that these last few games for us are about seeding in both tourneys. I think last night hurt a lot in the ACC tourney, but had minimal impact on the Dance! Beating puke is key for both; year long bragging rights; and could help ensure those bastages don't make the Dance!

Let's ride this roller coaster to the top this weekend!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT