ADVERTISEMENT

NFL playoffs thread

gteeitup

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2001
Columbia, SC
shoulda started this earlier as i usually do...off my game a bit.

congrats panthers...tre boston, another close-out pick, amazing...i think you can beat the seahawks...hopefully my cowboys beat detroit down and we get green bay.

watching james hurst work vs the steelers...he looks pretty good, but james harrison is a pro's pro so we'll see.

Panthers D sets the record for least yards allowed in an NFL playoff game! I know Arizona is down to 3rd string QB, but holding a playoff team to 77 yards in this day and age is unreal.

Steelers and Ravens in another typical slugfest... I love it.

Survive and Advance...same philosophy used in March for UNC Basketball.

Carolina is playing with house money at this point. They have a real chance to win if the D keeps playing at this level and the offense manages the clock and keeps running the football...and they do SOMETHING to stop the specials teams from choking (missed FG, muffed punt...nearly twice, give up 50 yd return to Ginn Jr).

At the end of the day, cap space is about to free up when D.Williams comes off the books and there are a TON of rookies playing significant roles. The Panthers are in a prime spot to be in this position annually for quite some time.

Somewhere, GSD needs a moment to compose himself. I can only imagine he has maxed out two credit cards purchasing all the Andrew Luck memorabilia he can find
tongue.r191677.gif

Yeah, that was brutal officiating. I'm not into conspiracy nonsense but that picked up flag on a pretty easy and obvious call was shady. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite like that.

Refs had to make up for the non roughing the punter call on Detroit right after they Penalized Dallas on the exact same play on Detroit's punt.

The refs were terrible all around.

Although.

Suck on it. The deadskins suck. Americas team wins.....
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Wow i have NEVER seen a flag picked up in a playoff game like that. And as if that werent bad enough bryant is out on the field with his helmet off complaining and no call! I dont like either team much but dayum that win was gift wrapped by the refs for the cowboys. Green bay is gonna KICK THEIR ASSES.

still gotta make a play...

you guys can't be serious...the tight end also grabbed hitchens' facemask during his route but that didn't get called...this happens in every game, every weekend...officials were poor all game, all weekend, for everybody.

kiss my ass!

Originally posted by gteeitup:
still gotta make a play...

you guys can't be serious...the tight end also grabbed hitchens' facemask during his route but that didn't get called...this happens in every game, every weekend...officials were poor all game, all weekend, for everybody.

kiss my ass!
Nah, I've never seen the correct call made and announced and then changed. That most certainly does not happen every week. Bad calls definitely happen all the time though. As a Dolphins fan who has to watch them play the Patriots twice a year I certainly am down with that. I have nothing against the Cowboys though. I actually really like Romo and am glad to see him do well as I think he gets a bad rap from people.

Originally posted by Louigi:
Refs had to make up for the non roughing the punter call on Detroit right after they Penalized Dallas on the exact same play on Detroit's punt.

Although.

Dallas got penalized on the Detroit punt because they didn't give the Detroit punter a chance to land down on his punting foot. I never did see Dallas's punt in question.

Agreed though on the refs. That PI call that ends up being a no call was bad.

And sadly, I was rooting for Dallas because I think the Seahawks have a better shot of beating the Panthers than the Lions. And the Panthers don't have Suh either.

Originally posted by SkyR#1fanCapCoug:

Although.

Dallas got penalized on the Detroit punt because they didn't give the Detroit punter a chance to land down on his punting foot. I never did see Dallas's punt in question.

Agreed though on the refs. That PI call that ends up being a no call was bad.

And sadly, I was rooting for Dallas because I think the Seahawks have a better shot of beating the Panthers than the Lions. And the Panthers don't have Suh either.
It was almost identical. Crowd boo-ed and announces briefly remarked on double-standard. Those two (roughing/non-roughing) punt calls essentially set Detroit up for 2 scores. Much more meaningful than the non-PI call. So, the narrative the PI call made the difference in the game is false.

Much like the roughing the snapper call in the UNC/Notre Dame game that nobody talks about or remembers except us UNC fans.

As predicted, the media is focusing on the non PI call and the Cowboys haters eat it up and increase the media ratings. It is like printing gold for the sports media.

That said, one could argue the PI flag should not be picked up and most would agree. Although, nobody has commented on the fact the Detroit receiver pushed off to get open, BEFORE, he was face guarded. Chicken/egg...

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
Somewhere, GSD needs a moment to compose himself. I can only imagine he has maxed out two credit cards purchasing all the Andrew Luck memorabilia he can find
indeed-harry-potter.gif

As far as the no call on the PI, I actually did not think it was PI. Now, the flag was thrown, so they should have stood by the call. But IMO, that's was just a little hand-fighting and what the game used to allow. I hate all these rules that favor the offensive players these days.

I didn't see the punt in question either. I was listening to that part on the radio and the announcers said they thought he got pushed into him and the contact would have just been 5 anyway. That doesn't make them right though.

The lion player was blocked into the punter. Even if they had called it the penalty would only be running into the kicker not roughing.

Whatever u think of the pi call, picking up the flag after announcing the penalty is horrible officiating and it did change the course of the game.

I just watched Chris Carter break down the "PI Play" on Mike and Mike. Mike and Mike were railing against the call. Then Chris Carter beautifully broke down why it was not pass interference and changed both the Mike's minds.

1) Faceguarding is not illegal in the NFL, like it is in college. Also, "faceguarding" is only illegal in NFL only when the hands are actually put in front of the face. That did not happen here. The defender put his hands straight up as to signal to officials, "I am not touching the receiver"
2) The ball was underthrown and the defender has just as much right to the space as the receiver. CC said the defender played correctly because it was man to man coverage. CC said the receiver should have made a play for the ball (stop and leap forward) instead of just backpedaling with his arms out, then the PI could have been called.
3) All acknowledged the receiver tugged on (pushed off, in my words) defenders jersey about 7 yards out, which is also illegal and could have been called.

also, keep in mind, the back judge threw the flag...he's the furthest away on that play...the line judge, who was right there, conferred with the other officials and they picked it up.

and flags are picked up every weekend...also, for conspiracy theorists out there, if the nfl truly wanted the cowboys to win, don't you think the suh suspension would've been upheld?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I don't think that at all. I just thought it was a bad call. I disagree that his hands were not on the guy though. His left hand was pretty clearly pushing him before the ball got there. It is a call that is made almost every time when there is contact as there was. If they wouldn't have called it then the story wouldn't be such a big deal. Calling it, announcing it, and then changing their minds after getting bitched at by a bunch of Cowboys is a terrible image though. Technically, it should have probably been holding on the defense first, then a facemask on the offense, then PI on the defense, then a penalty on Dez (I know all of those would not have been called of course). ESPN has a pretty entertaining article on all the things that went into that one play. As a Dolphins fan, it just seems like something that would happen when we play the Patriots, which may be why it irks me. :)

This post was edited on 1/5 10:31 AM by coryfly

I just watched Chris Carter break down the "PI Play" on Mike and Mike. Mike and Mike were railing against the call. Then Chris Carter beautifully broke down why it was not pass interference and changed both the Mike's minds.

1) Faceguarding is not illegal in the NFL, like it is in college. Also, "faceguarding" is only illegal in NFL only when the hands are actually put in front of the face. That did not happen here. The defender put his hands straight up as to signal to officials, "I am not touching the receiver"
2) The ball was underthrown and the defender has just as much right to the space as the receiver. CC said the defender played correctly because it was man to man coverage. CC said the receiver should have made a play for the ball (stop and leap forward) instead of just backpedaling with his arms out, then the PI could have been called.
3) All acknowledged the receiver tugged on (pushed off, in my words) defenders jersey about 7 yards out, which is also illegal and could have been called.
1. You're seriously going to say the defender put his hands up without touching the receiver? Come on.

2. Balls are underthrown all the time in the NFL. Hell, a lot of QB's do it on purpose when the defender isn't look at the ball. Why? Because they know they will get the PI call.

3. Wait, so the receiver, not the defender, tugged on the jersey? Because from all the replays I've seen I see Pettigrews jersey in the defenders hand.

Look, that was a huge blown call. I'm not going to sit here and say that's the reason the Lions lost though. But for Cowboys fans to sit there and say that it was the correct call is nonsense.

Originally posted by coryfly:
I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I don't think that at all. I just thought it was a bad call. I disagree that his hands were not on the guy though. His left hand was pretty clearly pushing him before the ball got there. It is a call that is made almost every time when there is contact as there was. If they wouldn't have called it then the story wouldn't be such a big deal. Calling it, announcing it, and then changing their minds after getting bitched at by a bunch of Cowboys is a terrible image though. Technically, it should have probably been holding on the defense first, then a facemask on the offense, then PI on the defense, then a penalty on Dez (I know all of those would not have been called of course). ESPN has a pretty entertaining article on all the things that went into that one play. As a Dolphins fan, it just seems like something that would happen when we play the Patriots, which may be why it irks me. :)

As you can see, Pettigrew pushed off first AND the ball was underthrown. So, offensive PI could have been called too. As Chris Carter said, "It was a football play". Actually Pettigrew had a hold of Hitchens collar (horsecollar), the replay below starts after Pettirgrew let go, but you can see him still pushing.
dalpi.0.gif

As for Dez Bryant, Chris Carter addressed that as well.

It should not have been a penalty. Dez is an offensive player. He was not part of the defense on the field. Sideline players, coaches, etc, go on the edge of field at play breaks all the time without their helmets. That is not a penalty, unless a warning is issued first and subsequent offense. How if Hitchens would have removed his helmet, different story.

You can also see Hithens signaling about the horsecollar that occured.
dezappears.0.gif

This post was edited on 1/5 12:01 PM by Louigi

Looks like your clip isn't showing the hold?? Also, here's the rule regarding Bryant. It's most definitely a penalty and every analyst and former ref has said as much.....geeeez...

Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1(j) prohibits "removal of a helmet by a player in the field of play or the end zone during a celebration or demonstration or during a confrontation with a game official or any other player."

B6jCP7oCYAAqQ1C.jpg

This post was edited on 1/5 12:11 PM by Detroit Heel

Pathetic! ... reminds me of dook getting all the calls at H.I.S.
And remember how much Romo & Garrett just love them some dookies. Coach K is behind this, I'm sure of it.

it's not a penalty on bryant...the rule provided above is loosely known as "the emmitt smith rule"...that rule is for players on the field during a play...it's completely subjective when officials call penalties on a coach or player from the sideline.

i have a good friend that is an official and he's told me before that they do everything possible to prevent unsportsmanlike conduct flags on players and coaches...in fact, the "sideline warning" infraction is always given as a warning before a penalty is called.

next time you watch any game, especially the nfl, check the side judge to see if he warns receivers before a play so they aren't committing a procedure infraction...i see receivers ask officials all the time if they are lined up correctly.

Originally posted by Detroit Heel:
Looks like your clip isn't showing the hold?? Also, here's the rule regarding Bryant. It's most definitely a penalty and every analyst and former ref has said as much.....geeeez...

Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1(j) prohibits "removal of a helmet by a player in the field of play or the end zone during a celebration or demonstration or during a confrontation with a game official or any other player."

B6jCP7oCYAAqQ1C.jpg

1) Your clip does not show the horsecollar that occurred prior to the jersey grab.
2) Every Analyst, except Chris Carter. A retired HOF Wide Reciever, geez...
3) A player "in the field of play" does not mean a sideline player, hence that rule does not apply. FAIL.

B6jCP7oCYAAqQ1C.jpg

1) Your clip does not show the horsecollar that occurred prior to the jersey grab.
3) A player "in the field of play" does not mean a sideline player, hence that rule does not apply. FAIL.
1. You keep talking about this horse collar but never once did I see Pettigrew grab the back-inside of his shoulder pads. Do you have video of this? I'd love to see it.

2. Ok, so every analyst and former ref has said it's a penalty and ONE WR says it's not. Ok, you got me there.

3.Fail? I think not. Why don't you do me a favor and watch this interview with a FORMER NFL ref.

Click me

B6jCP7oCYAAqQ1C.jpg

1. You keep talking about this horse collar but never once did I see Pettigrew grab the back-inside of his shoulder pads. Do you have video of this? I'd love to see it.

2. Ok, so every analyst and former ref has said it's a penalty and ONE WR says it's not. Ok, you got me there.

3.Fail? I think not. Why don't you do me a favor and watch this interview with a FORMER NFL ref.
Ding-Ding-Ding . . . . we has us a winner, folks.

2 very clear penalties and neither one is called, both are valid and it's plain for all to see.

Originally posted by coryfly:

As you can see, Pettigrew pushed off first AND the ball was underthrown. So, offensive PI could have been called too. As Chris Carter said, "It was a football play". Actually Pettigrew had a hold of Hitchens collar (horsecollar), the replay below starts after Pettirgrew let go, but you can see him still pushing.

No, Pettigrew did not push off. He had his hand on him but just having your hand on a guy is never called. Perhaps he was pushing off before that, which very well may be the case. If you want to get technical, the defender grabbed Pettigrew's shirt first, before anything else happened. So if we really want to get technical, the most obvious call was holding on the defense.
dalpi.0.gif

There was no pass interference.

But there was most certainly a hold before.

But IMO, this is just two football players engaging in football. Frankly, I'm glad there was no call. We need to get football back to football and not the offensive airshow it is today.

The holding is obvious. He got him a big ol' handful of jersey and tried to carry it home with him.

Then he interfered with the receiver's arms before the ball arrived and ran through him without ever turning to make a play on the ball.

I don't see how anyone can claim with a straight face that this was a legit no-call, regardless of the whole unusual picking-up-of-the-flag thing.

Bad calls happen in every game, but let's agree to call a spade a spade.

Originally posted by JuleZ '02 HEEL:
The holding is obvious. He got him a big ol' handful of jersey and tried to carry it home with him.

Then he interfered with the receiver's arms before the ball arrived and ran through him without ever turning to make a play on the ball.

I don't see how anyone can claim with a straight face that this was a legit no-call, regardless of the whole unusual picking-up-of-the-flag thing.

Well I acknowledge there was definitely a hold that occurred. But I disagree about PI. I've looked at it over and over and to me, it looks as if the significant contact happens at the same moment the ball is there. There was contact before but it looked like two guys handfighting - which used to be a big part of players running their routes. They used to expect to have to get a little physical. After all, this is football. As far as not turning his head, he doesn't need to if there's no contact (no faceguarding rule).

But I agree that once the flag was thrown, they should have stood by the call. What's surprising to me is that neither ref saw the hold. It's hard to not see a hold when the jersey is being pulled like that.

But the call should have been for defensive holding - 5 yards and automatic 1st down.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

Well I acknowledge there was definitely a hold that occurred. But I disagree about PI. I've looked at it over and over and to me, it looks as if the significant contact happens at the same moment the ball is there. There was contact before but it looked like two guys handfighting - which used to be a big part of players running their routes. They used to expect to have to get a little physical. After all, this is football. As far as not turning his head, he doesn't need to if there's no contact (no faceguarding rule).

But I agree that once the flag was thrown, they should have stood by the call. What's surprising to me is that neither ref saw the hold. It's hard to not see a hold when the jersey is being pulled like that.

But the call should have been for defensive holding - 5 yards and automatic 1st down.

And another 15 yards for Dez Bryant grandstanding on the field complaining to the hometown refs about a legitimate call.

Originally posted by BillyL:

And another 15 yards for Dez Bryant grandstanding on the field complaining to the hometown refs about a legitimate call.
I won't even get into that. The NFL (and all sports leagues) have let the players run amok.

Hmmm! Maybe you Deadskins should take note,they might start winning.
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by dgheel57:

Hmmm! Maybe you Deadskins should take note,they might start winning.
laugh.r191677.gif
What is it exactly that I'm suppose to take note of . . ?

Scoreboard is all that matters. Missed calls happens and it's part of the game. foreskins fans and the other Dallas haters will get another chance to fail next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT