ADVERTISEMENT

NIL - Portal - Transfers - Departures - NIL

kid has a nice size social media following...
Hmm. Makes me think there should be some sort of combination of social media, NIL and Go Fund Me.

I could see fans pledging to pay some money if the player commits to the school the fan supports.

Ditto every year for returning or transferring players.

At the end of each fundraising cycle, the player could see how much he'd get - right away - if he commits to different schools. Assuming the kid and the schools have mutual interest, that could steer decisions.

Top-ranked HS kids and transfers could rake it in.

Hmm. Makes me think there should be some sort of combination of social media, NIL and Go Fund Me.

I could see fans pledging to pay some money if the player commits to the school the fan supports.

At the end of each fundraising cycle, the player could see how much he'd get - right away - if he commits to different schools. Assuming the kid and the schools have mutual interest, that could steer decisions.

If a player knows how to use social media correctly, he could go to directional state college of nowhere and still make big money.

I think this is already the case via collectives?

The whole "NIL value" thing on TOS seems misleading to me. Don't think it actually equals how much they are making in NIL each year.

I think this is already the case via collectives?

The whole "NIL value" thing on TOS seems misleading to me. Don't think it actually equals how much they are making in NIL each year.
Yeah, it seems more like the futures market or a betting value. Maybe someone here is a subscriber and could give us a peek behind the curtain? Don't need the gory details, just a sense of how they come up with that number.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Changes are coming. Plus, the NCAA has more than twice as many people looking at the landscape right now as a this time a year ago. Schools will be punished.
To counter that, this lawsuit is out there. It's getting crazy.

Hunter Dickinson reveals how much NIL money he received at Michigan​

Hunter Dickinson is no longer a Michigan Wolverine, and we know that NIL certainly played a role in his decision to leave. In the most recent episode of the Roundball Barstool Sports podcast, Dickinson gave a little more insight into how much NIL money he received while at Michigan last season.

“At Michigan, I got less than six figures,” Dickinson said. “I got less than six figures for the year.”

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Forgive my ignorance here, but why do we always talk as if NIL deals have to end when a player leaves?
forgive my even greater ignorance on this subject, and forgive me for not seeing if the answer to following question isn't in the several dozen posts after yours that I overlooked; but wouldn't a large portion of NIL deals involve local entities whose main interest is in gaining and retaining UNC talent? If so, I imagine their interest wanes after that talent is gone. But as I said, I really have no idea what I'm even talking about here.

That is my read as well. Local and regional companies for most peeps with a few like Bacot scoring national companies or social media boosts. I fully expect National or Social Media based NIL to travel with the stars but the local companies may simply switch to peeps who are staying in their footprint! Bacot is so diversified it won't make that much difference to him but some others stand to lose substantially if they lose local support without replacing it on their new team!

forgive my even greater ignorance on this subject, and forgive me for not seeing if the answer to following question isn't in the several dozen posts after yours that I overlooked; but wouldn't a large portion of NIL deals involve local entities whose main interest is in gaining and retaining UNC talent? If so, I imagine their interest wanes after that talent is gone. But as I said, I really have no idea what I'm even talking about here.
Correct, most of these deals are local/regional. Especially the non football/basketball, which make up the overwhelming majority of these deals.

How do small schools compete in the NIL world?

Take a school like Monmouth, for example. Do the portal and NIL make it more likely for schools like that to lose their best players - and, conversely make it harder to find replacements?

Correct, most of these deals are local/regional. Especially the non football/basketball, which make up the overwhelming majority of these deals.
More than that, they are based on wanting the player's skills on the team for athletic reasons (talking about the big money football/basketball deals), and not based on actual marketing ROI.

More than that, they are based on wanting the player's skills on the team for athletic reasons (talking about the big money football/basketball deals), and not based on actual marketing ROI.
I'm not sure you can separate those two things.

I'm not sure you can separate those two things.
How's that? There are many alumni/fans paying for these deals with no expectation they'll get the money back. It's similar to donating to an athletic department; you don't do it so you can get a financial ROI, you do it so your teams can perform better.

How's that? There are many alumni/fans paying for these deals with no expectation they'll get the money back. It's similar to donating to an athletic department; you don't do it so you can get a financial ROI, you do it so your teams can perform better.
The player with the better skill would still have the better ROI, or the lesser loss if that makes sense. It's almost like a start up business. You always lose money to start with, but the hope is you make it back over time through wins. But you're looking at the ROI as a dollar amount. The ROI in these situations are championships. If they get a championship, then the donors get back the money the way that they wanted.

The player with the better skill would still have the better ROI, or the lesser loss if that makes sense. It's almost like a start up business. You always lose money to start with, but the hope is you make it back over time through wins. But you're looking at the ROI as a dollar amount. The ROI in these situations are championships. If they get a championship, then the donors get back the money the way that they wanted.
Yes that was my point. It's an athletic investment, not a financial/marketing investment. They aren't investing $100k in hopes of getting $200k back in a few years.

How do small schools compete in the NIL world?

Take a school like Monmouth, for example. Do the portal and NIL make it more likely for schools like that to lose their best players - and, conversely make it harder to find replacements?
Yes but this is partially offset by kids not getting playing time at larger schools and transferring for PT. Probably not an even trade but does work both ways in part at least.

I think the small schools will live with the peeps who either develop slower, have lesser skill or athleticism, or have some off the court issues that prevent high profile schools from accepting them just like the always have! They will never compete with the bluebloods, but they will continue to have an occasional perfect storm like FGC, Butler, or San Diego St! A booster giving money could be because he really cares for the success of the program, but he also knows he or his company will get increased marketability and cachet if they are attached to a winner! A local, regional, or national company will attach itself to the star/team with the best chance to drive customers toward them! Different reasons for investing, but both expect to gain from the success of the school/individual!

I just hope the system develops along the lines of principle instead of trying to manipulate and shape a desired result. Things might not be what we want in the first case, but the latter approach always seems to create more problems than it solves.

Sounds like Jarin Stevenson could be visiting soon.
If he were to commit and reclassify, how would he fit in our current lineup (with and without Cadeau)? Would he start ahead of Withers or Ingram, or simply get a lot of minutes in a Marvin Williams capacity?

Woud any of our guys feel recruited over? And, if so, what can they do about it? For example, could guys we got from the portal go back to the portal?

If he were to commit and reclassify, how would he fit in our current lineup (with and without Cadeau)? Would he start ahead of Withers or Ingram, or simply get a lot of minutes in a Marvin Williams capacity?

Woud any of our guys feel recruited over? And, if so, what can they do about it? For example, could guys we got from the portal go back to the portal?
JMHO do not foresee him committing and reclassifying with Withers and Ingram already in place. Kids reclassify to play, and be starters, not to come off the bench. Pretty sure Jarin and his father has already sorted this out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT