ADVERTISEMENT

Office spaces

gunslingerdick

Hall of Famer
Feb 16, 2006
Let's talk about your office. Sorry Billy, you can excuse your retired ass from this thread.
tongue.r191677.gif

My office is decent size - maybe 12' x 15'. I have a pocket door, which is cool. I have one larger than average window.

I have two desk in my office. One is a big, nice wooden desk that I work on - where my desk calendar is, my computer, my phone, all that stuff. The other desk is much smaller and just gets sh*t thrown on it that I no longer want on my real desk but I can't bring myself to throw it away or file it appropriately.

I have two corkboards that are mostly filled with pictures of my family or other personal stuff like letters that were written to me or maybe some motivational crap.

I have a framed version of the Rudyard Kipling poem "If" that's probably 50 years old and hung in my dad's office when I was a kid. I have a quilt hanging on one wall. It's pretty awesome. A friend of mine made a quilt from old promotional t-shirts my organization has used throughout the years. I have two leather chairs for guest. A bookshelf that has a bunch of books I've never read and probably won't ever read. A signed football from Romeo Crennel (he did some promotional stuff for my org several years ago). I have a picture of me and former Kansas City Chief linebacker Bobby Bell. I have a couple of lame trophies that I won in charity golf tournaments (Captain's Choice formats, of course). I have a couple of drawings done by my dad that hang on my walls. And of course I have my degree and other certifications hanging.

My office building is an old split foyer home built in the mid-60s. It was converted to an office in the late 80s. About 10 years ago, we won a grant award to make about $40,000 worth of upgrades but there's still plenty that could be done. We have drop ceilings with those terrible lights. Most of the walls inside are beige with white trim.

The office sits on a very large lot - roughly an acre. We have a huge parking lot - really much bigger than we need but a lot of the property is nice green space too. It's not landscaped to perfection but it looks pretty nice. I don't contract out our landscaping because that's just so costly. So I take care of it throughout the spring and summer. I kind of like doing it anyway. And I always have high school kids that need court ordered community service hours knocking on my door so I let them do it from time to time.

What's yours like?

My work environment is mobile so we don't have any set office space. We have "honeycomb" seating for 6 people typically and recently our desks have been switched to allow to stand or sit down if we want. Not a bad work environment, I really like the desks that move up and down.

Your autographed football, your golf trophies, the DIY landscaping. Just sounded like you might throw your arm out. But seriously, you realize most office workers don't have private offices, right? The majority work in cubicle farms.

This post was edited on 2/27 8:27 PM by Raising Heel

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
But seriously, you realize most office workers don't have private offices, right? The majority work in cubicle farms.
What is this?...9 to 5? Where's Doralee?

Just sayin'.

With the new job I took about 18 months ago, I got my own office for the first time in my life. It's a huge perk. Probably about 12 x 10 with a door, so I can shut out the rest of the world when I need to focus or want some privacy. I have one floor-to-ceiling window, about 4 feet wide, that provides me with a view of uptown Charlotte. When we switch from daylight savings in the fall I get to see the city all lit up around the time I usually leave for the day. Pretty cool.

I have an L-shaped wood desk, a couple credenzas, and a bookshelf with next to nothing on it except a collection of toys/gadgets that I've collected or been given over my career (it all started with an Oompa Loompa but that's another story). There's some generic corporate art on one wall but I also brought in a piece of personal framed art -- from an old calendar with Latin American paintings -- to put on the other wall. Couple chairs, whiteboard, corkboard, some personal photos, etc.

I love my job and having an office is one of the reasons why. I'm grateful every day, because I know what it's like to show up in an office full of almost 100 cubicles and feel like you're just part of the rat race. There's a special place in hell for the guy that came up with the cubicle.

I have offices in multiple locations on the coast on N. FL. So my car is also an office. The view is the Altlantic Ocean on A1A.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Louigi:
I have offices in multiple locations on the coast on N. FL. So my car is also an office. The view is the Altlantic Ocean on A1A.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I was hanging out on the A1A almost two months ago, in the Deerfield beach area.

Originally posted by CrazyHeel:

Here's one of mine. 4500 horses
Okay, Crazy Hell . . . . I'm curious now, so tell me more . . please.

yup. I mostly work out of Greenville NC. The track goes right by there stadium, nice eye candy on games days. I have went by there on game day waving an NC flag, kids threw beer at me. but over all its a good job. We're low on man power and they will hire just about anyone with military background so if you know a vet down on there luck tell them to check out the railroad.
This post was edited on 3/5 1:56 PM by CrazyHeel

Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT