ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL UNC VS. Michigan State THREAD

Steat

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2006
Can you say 6-0....Then Top 5 when polls come out on Monday....

Indeed. As long as we contain Jackson. I believe we will be able to guard Bridges come Sunday. Either way, I think we win big. Top 5 definitely with a win. How far does Arizona fall, though? My goodness.

MSU will be a very stern test. And Izzo is going to break the "Roy Curse" sooner or later. Let's hope it's later.

They have 5 guys averaging double digits in points and 10 guys averaging double digits in minutes played. Two well balanced, deep teams whose coaches believe it all begins and ends with rebounding. The team that controls the boards has distinct advantage, unless the other team is just shooting lights out.

They may be starting 4 sophs and a freshman, so we have the advantage in experience.

MSU will be a very stern test. And Izzo is going to break the "Roy Curse" sooner or later. Let's hope it's later.

They have 5 guys averaging double digits in points and 10 guys averaging double digits in minutes played. Two well balanced, deep teams whose coaches believe it all begins and ends with rebounding. The team that controls the boards has distinct advantage, unless the other team is just shooting lights out.

They may be starting 4 sophs and a freshman, so we have the advantage in experience.
Once you have a yr in college I believe experience is a wash those sophs endured a tough year for them last yr. They are now grizzled vets

I'm curious how we're going to handle their big men, Ward and Jackson. Obviously their back court is great too, but that's where are best man-on-man defenders are. Would think Theo can slow down Bridges and Berry can keep Winston from repeating his game yesterday.

Izzo held out Bridges against DePaul. Gimpy ankle.

From what I read, he could have played, but Izzo decided to play it safe.

Presumably he'll be back and healthy for our game.

I'm curious how we're going to handle their big men, Ward and Jackson. Obviously their back court is great too, but that's where are best man-on-man defenders are. Would think Theo can slow down Bridges and Berry can keep Winston from repeating his game yesterday.
Yeah, they look like they have one more high quality big man than we are prepared to defend.

Do we play more zone?

Yeah, they look like they have one more high quality big man than we are prepared to defend.

Do we play more zone?
No idea. I leave that to the former coaches here to decide.

I'd guess Maye can play Ward decently. He struggles more with speed than size, and Ward is not overly long. But could Brooks/Manley stay with Jackson? He seems quite a bit quicker than them. And if Maye plays Jackson he is giving up a lot of length.

Good test for the Heels. Win this game and the Heels may be looking at 13-0 going into the ACC season. Bird has no fear. Pinson is ice. Did you see Berry at the press conference after the game yesterday? That kid loves Roy.

Do we play more zone?

Ward isn't any good. I think our post players will be fine. I also believe our guards will play too good of perimeter defense for us to go zone. KW will be chasing Mcquaid while our other guards get up and really pressure Michigan State guards. MSU guards have looked awful from what I've seen. Cassius Winston and Tum Tum are not very good at all. We'll have a major advantage there. If Bridges play, he will be guarded by Theo. The only trouble we may have is playing a small lineup with Theo at the 4 because that will ultimately put him against Jackson and that may be a matchup nightmare inside the paint. If we play like we have been playing we should be fine and win comfortably. If we see what we saw in the first couple of minutes against Arkansas for 20+ minutes against State, we will be in trouble.

Good test for the Heels. Win this game and the Heels may be looking at 13-0 going into the ACC season. Bird has no fear. Pinson is ice. Did you see Berry at the press conference after the game yesterday? That kid loves Roy.

I hope you're right but I think we drop one @ Tennesee.

I'm confident but not cocky because this is a team that can rise to a scary level. I believe we will pressure their perimeter enough to hold down their bigs. We will out rebound them and win by 8-10.

Ha. That's what I said about State after they beat Arizona. And they proceeded to lose 2 straight. I guess I jinxed them.

I thought we'd struggle more than we did against UNI, Bucknell and Arkansas. So I'm feeling pretty optimistic about now.

That said, both Ward and Jackson are excellent players who draw a lot of fouls.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Obviously, this is a good litmus test to see just how good we are right now. On paper, this is a very tough matchup with the strength of their interior lineup.

I hope we go zone and force them to make shots like Duke did.

Ward isn't any good. I think our post players will be fine. I also believe our guards will play too good of perimeter defense for us to go zone. KW will be chasing Mcquaid while our other guards get up and really pressure Michigan State guards. MSU guards have looked awful from what I've seen. Cassius Winston and Tum Tum are not very good at all. We'll have a major advantage there. If Bridges play, he will be guarded by Theo. The only trouble we may have is playing a small lineup with Theo at the 4 because that will ultimately put him against Jackson and that may be a matchup nightmare inside the paint. If we play like we have been playing we should be fine and win comfortably. If we see what we saw in the first couple of minutes against Arkansas for 20+ minutes against State, we will be in trouble.
Yeah. With Theo guarding Bridges - a brutal assignment in its own right - Jackson becomes the nightmare. OTOH, does Jackson defend Luke? Maybe Luke can get him in foul trouble before he gets all our frosh in foul trouble.

If we see what we saw in the first couple of minutes against Arkansas for 20+ minutes against State, we will be in trouble.
This is a good point. Even though we usually have a lead by the end of the first quarter, we have been slow to start in a lot of our contests. We can't afford to let MSU build an early lead.

Looking back at the MSU-Duke game, that game was pretty close until Duke put it away late. Duke built a few good leads, but MSU always clawed back, until the last one.

Checking the numbers, Duke slaughtered them on the offensive boards 25-11.

Combined, Bridges, Jackson and Ward shot 22 of 33 from the field (8 of 15 from deep).

Bridges like Bagley of Duke shoots a ton and he is a tremendous player but gunners normally do not win games for their teams against quality opponents

Gonna be a real test for the yunguns...I look for a barnburner with our Heels coming out on top again .... Heels by 2:cool::cool:

Let's talk MATCHUPS.

Berry vs Winston - ought to be great!

Theo on Bridges?

Bridges on Luke?

Luke on Ward?

Kenny on McQuaid? Or Langford?

Who defends Jaren Jackson for us?

Last edited:
MSU ran with 2 creampuffs and won.

They ran with Duke, and lost.

They played slow games against DePaul and UConn and won.

So . . . willing and able to run, but might rather go at a moderate pace.

We had a slowish game in our opener and have run every game since.

Just love Joel Berry....

Joel Berry II‏Verified account@JoelBerryII
#WhyNot
1f937-1f3fd-200d-2642-fe0f.png

1:18 PM - 26 Nov 2017 from Portland, OR

18 replies218 retweets885 likes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT