ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

I'm all for personal liberties and freedoms - but not when those freedoms can fvck me over. So ya, not vaccinating your kids should be criminal. IDGAF if you're anti-vax or an illegal that doesn't have access to vaccines - either way I don't want you anywhere near me if you're gonna give me measles.

I'm all for personal liberties and freedoms - but not when those freedoms can fvck me over. So ya, not vaccinating your kids should be criminal. IDGAF if you're anti-vax or an illegal that doesn't have access to vaccines - either way I don't want you anywhere near me if you're gonna give me measles.

Shouldn't you be protected from measles if you've been vaccinated?

But we are a nation of laws. If your negligence harms me you have taken my liberties.

Should it be mandatory to get the flu shot? What about people abstaining due to religion? Do we send them to reeducation camps like the Chinese? What happens to the separation of church and state at that point?

And again, if you've been immunized, why are you worried about catching the disease? Does the immunization not work? And if it doesn't work, then why are we so worried about getting it?

How are you giving measles to people who have been immunized?

Defending anti-vaxxers is a bold move. Here you go:

One of the classic myths or misconceptions that anti-vax folks use to justify starting outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases is saying that their intentionally unvaccinated kids pose no risk to the rest of us because we have all had our vaccines.

They typically think that it is only their own unvaccinated children and themselves who will be at risk for vaccine-preventable diseases, which they often think are not dangerous, another classic anti-vax myth. Unfortunately, as the increasing number of outbreaks of measles in the United States are showing, neither anti-vax myth is true.

In fact, as we continue to hit new records, we are seeing:

• Infants who are too young to be vaccinated get caught up in the outbreaks as they are exposed at a doctor's office or hospital, where the person with measles is seeking care.
  • People with immune system problems getting needlessly exposed to measles, as happened in Pittsburgh, when a college student with measles possibly exposed about 100 cancer patients.
  • People develop severe complications of measles, such as the healthcare provider who reportedly developed measles encephalitis during the large measles outbreak in Fort Worth.

We are also learning how much it costs to contain a measles outbreak.

In 2011, there were 107 confirmed measles infections in the United States. To contain the outbreaks, local and state health departments had to spend between $2.7 and $5.3 million, according to a study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

So who is put at risk when someone chooses to not get vaccinated?

pertussis (whooping cough) when infants don't begin to have any protection until they get their third dose of the DTaP vaccine when they are six months old. In the California pertussis outbreak of 2010, 10 infants died, nine of whom were less than two months old.

And we see this with measles too, since children don't get their first dose of the MMR vaccine until they are twelve months old and aren't fully protected until they get the second dose, at age four years. (Keep in mind that young children should get their MMR doses earlier if they will be traveling out of the United States.)

Vaccine-preventable diseases that younger children can be at risk for until they are old enough to get their vaccines. Among

• Influenza vaccination is scheduled so that the first dose is given at age six months with a second dose delivered a month later.
  • Chickenpox, like measles, is scheduled so that children get their first vaccine dose at 12 months and the second dose at age four years. The second dose can be given as early as three months after the first dose though, especially if your child was recently exposed to chicken pox.

Younger children are also at risk for polio, rubella, and mumps until they are old enough to be vaccinated. Considering that there are about 4,000,000 births a year in the United States, that puts a lot of infants at risk for measles, pertussis, and other vaccine-preventable diseases.

For measles, as kids aren't fully protected until they get their second dose of the MMR vaccine when they are about four-years-old, that means an additional 12,000,000 toddlers and preschoolers are potentially at risk.

Again, I'm not anti-vax, but the problem hardly seems bad enough to go trampling on the liberties of others. After 15 months the kid is safe from the measles? So, why are so many adults in this thread freaking out over getting the disease? Look, if I ever have kids, they're getting vaccinated, end of story. That being said, I'm not willing to force my beliefs on other people. Liberty isn't always pretty, but it's necessary for a free society.

Again, I'm not anti-vax, but the problem hardly seems bad enough to go trampling on the liberties of others. After 15 months the kid is safe from the measles? So, why are so many adults in this thread freaking out over getting the disease? Look, if I ever have kids, they're getting vaccinated, end of story. That being said, I'm not willing to force my beliefs on other people. Liberty isn't always pretty, but it's necessary for a free society.

It isn't a belief, it's science and common sense. From previous conversations with you, I know you lack understanding in both. I'm out, not having an argument as dumb as whether or not someone should vax their children.

Reactions: uncboy10
It isn't a belief, it's science and common sense. From previous conversations with you, I know you lack understanding in both. I'm out, not having an argument as dumb as whether or not someone should vax their children.

Of course, it's a belief. And once again, I'm not arguing whether someone should or shouldn't get vaccinated. I've stated multiple times already that I believe in vaccinations. However, you're right to leave the conversation because you obviously can't have a mature discussion about the issue. You're unable to see the other side of the argument, and you have this narcissistic attitude that everyone should believe what you want to believe. That isn't 'Muerican values, buddy.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
-Thomas Jefferson

This is real real real real dumb.
This is actually helpful. It shows the contrast between the leadership.

Washington was humble enough to NEVER have named anything after himself. And, his legacy was so strong that the country NAMED ITS CAPITOL "Washington." There are cities, towns and even a state named for him. All of those would probably have embarrassed him if he'd lived to see it.

Trump, on the other hand, names them for himself while he's here. It's probably the best way to have anything with his name on it after he's gone.

Washington was humble enough to NEVER have named anything after himself. And, his legacy was so strong that the country NAMED ITS CAPITOL "Washington." There are cities, towns and even a state named for him. All of those would probably have embarrassed him if he'd lived to see it.

Trump, on the other hand, names them for himself while he's here. It's probably the best way to have anything with his name on it after he's gone.

Extremely accurate.

Trump is a narcissist? Wow, I didn't see that one coming.

Of course, it's a belief. And once again, I'm not arguing whether someone should or shouldn't get vaccinated. I've stated multiple times already that I believe in vaccinations. However, you're right to leave the conversation because you obviously can't have a mature discussion about the issue. You're unable to see the other side of the argument, and you have this narcissistic attitude that everyone should believe what you want to believe. That isn't 'Muerican values, buddy.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
-Thomas Jefferson

American values include not killing an infant because an idiot parent doesn't believe in modern medicine.

Mature discussion is not always intelligent discussion. I feel you lack the ability to have the latter so I excuse myself from arguing with you. So have a good day.

American values include not killing an infant because an idiot parent doesn't believe in modern medicine.

Mature discussion is not always intelligent discussion. I feel you lack the ability to have the latter so I excuse myself from arguing with you. So have a good day.

I wonder how many infants die of the flu every year, as opposed to those that die of the measles? Shit happens, dude. Don't go all Simpsons on us...

iu

From what I can tell, it's one of the things you have in common with, and appreciate about him.

His form of narcissism is like Stage 5/Advanced Narcissism.

I just picture you selling papers on the side of the road yelling, "Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Trump is a narcissist! News at 11!

Like nobody realized he was a narcissist before he even decided to run for president. Also, it isn't like he's the only one who believes this. Past presidents have put their names on buildings. They obviously think the same way he does.

I just picture you selling papers on the side of the road yelling, "Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Trump is a narcissist! News at 11!

Like nobody realized he was a narcissist before he even decided to run for president. Also, it isn't like he's the only one who believes this. Past presidents have put their names on buildings. They obviously think the same way he does.
Well, now, that's solved. If someone else did the same fvcked-up behavior BEFORE, there's nothing wrong with continuing in their footsteps! I'm not sure other presidents put their names on buildings. They may have had a building named for them and they accepted the gesture. But, I don't think they named it for themselves. And, if they did? It was not their best moment.

I think many people DID realize he was a pathological narcissist. I've personally never understood his appeal at all, going back 35+ years. I thought he was a douchebag when Robin Leach talked about him! To me, personally, there was nothing admirable about him, his behavior, or his attitude. I think the one thing that I can see as a sensible decision is he abstains from alcohol. But, if having a drink would quell his narcissism, I'd offer him a drink.

Well we won"t have to worry about Trump much longer because of Ole Bobby Three Sticks, amirite? Tick Tock

They're already crying because there's going to be redacted parts due to things like protecting the identities of innocent people who were swept up in the investigation.

Hell, they can't even pull it together long enough to pass a budget. Their complete dysfunction is fun to watch.

Reactions: nctransplant
Well, now, that's solved. If someone else did the same fvcked-up behavior BEFORE, there's nothing wrong with continuing in their footsteps! I'm not sure other presidents put their names on buildings. They may have had a building named for them and they accepted the gesture. But, I don't think they named it for themselves. And, if they did? It was not their best moment.

I think many people DID realize he was a pathological narcissist. I've personally never understood his appeal at all, going back 35+ years. I thought he was a douchebag when Robin Leach talked about him! To me, personally, there was nothing admirable about him, his behavior, or his attitude. I think the one thing that I can see as a sensible decision is he abstains from alcohol. But, if having a drink would quell his narcissism, I'd offer him a drink.

Nobody is saying that it's great to be a narcissist. People like me are just laughing because it obviously doesn't mean anything. Watching people get outraged now, over stuff that has been happening for decades, is just pure entertainment.

Nobody is saying that it's great to be a narcissist. People like me are just laughing because it obviously doesn't mean anything. Watching people get outraged now, over stuff that has been happening for decades, is just pure entertainment.
Oh, I got it... lol

I have a full understanding of "people like you."

Yeah, people know all about “people like you”

Focusing on the narcissism is a convenient way to ignore the stupidity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT