ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

I think we can all agree that Bill Pullman had the best speech as president.
toss-up
giphy.gif

mtg with the maga hat on, which i thought was against the rules, very classy…a true american her-whore.

Last edited:
I didn't watch Biden or Trump's speech, but I'll summarize it for those of you who didn't watch it.

Biden: I've done a great job getting us past the cluster**** of Trump. We would do more if the Republicans worked with us, but they are being mean. I call on them to work with us on issues.

Trump: Everything he said is a lie. I'll do a great job getting us past the cluster**** of Biden. We could do more if the democrats worked with us, but they are being mean. I call on them to work with us on issues.

I didn't watch Biden or Trump's speech, but I'll summarize it for those of you who didn't watch it.

Biden: I've done a great job getting us past the cluster**** of Trump. We would do more if the Republicans worked with us, but they are being mean. I call on them to work with us on issues.

Trump: Everything he said is a lie. I'll do a great job getting us past the cluster**** of Biden. We could do more if the democrats worked with us, but they are being mean. I call on them to work with us on issues.
I didn't watch either, but I'm guessing that's probably fairly accurate. Which, of course, is not the purpose. It's supposed to be a "state" of the union versus a campaign/political speech. I think they should just stop with the "speech" altogether. Constitutionally, there is no requirement to do one in person and it is done, technically, at the invite of Congress. Jefferson submitted it in writing and everyone did it like that until Woodrow Wilson (which should tell us everything we need to know) restarted the practice of oral speeches. The general populace doesn't care anyhow, unless something zany happens.

I didn't watch either, but I'm guessing that's probably fairly accurate. Which, of course, is not the purpose. It's supposed to be a "state" of the union versus a campaign/political speech. I think they should just stop with the "speech" altogether. Constitutionally, there is no requirement to do one in person and it is done, technically, at the invite of Congress. Jefferson submitted it in writing and everyone did it like that until Woodrow Wilson (which should tell us everything we need to know) restarted the practice of oral speeches. The general populace doesn't care anyhow, unless something zany happens.

No surprise, Dems are calling it a homerun (maybe just because Biden didn't get lost coming to the podium) and Repubs are calling it a disgrace. I watched the first 5-10 minutes and I saw Biden looking better than normal but the TDS was evident as he referenced Trump a few times before I got bored with it.

I wonder if Biden ALSO played the victim card regarding investigations and charges against him.

I gotta say I was quite impressed with Biden being able to go an hour while staying relatively sharp and lucid. I imagine they had him pumped full of some good stuff - the come down today is probably brutal.

He certainly accomplished his goal of going on there and delivering a strong campaign speech in front of Congress. I do wish we got an actual state of the union at the State of the Union speech, but that's obviously a lost cause at this point from both parties.

not having watched but seeing the comments here, would it be an accurate assessment to say that Biden basically used the SOTU address as a campaign speech, in which he tried to convey that Trump would be even worse than he is?

One snippet I did see on the TV this morning was Biden playing up the border security bill and how effective it would be compared to what is in place now. The looming question that had to immediately come to everyone's mind is, why the F did you wait until now to get this incredibly effective legislation in place? The next question is, why the F didn't you mention the dem lard attached to it?

I gotta say I was quite impressed with Biden being able to go an hour while staying relatively sharp and lucid. I imagine they had him pumped full of some good stuff - the come down today is probably brutal.
I had wondered about this myself, so I checked. Yesterday, his to do list was receive the briefing at 9:00 AM and give his speech at 9:00 PM. Today, he leaves the WH at 1:40 PM, gives a campaign speech at a middle school in Philly at 5:00 PM and then it's off to Delaware.

Previously, I used to think that anyone who wanted to be president was nuts because I couldn't imagine the demands and schedules they keep. Biden might be changing my mind.

He certainly accomplished his goal of going on there and delivering a strong campaign speech in front of Congress. I do wish we got an actual state of the union at the State of the Union speech, but that's obviously a lost cause at this point from both parties.

Agree with most of that. The extra heavy dosage of Adderall seemed to work and keep him at least from not falling down and drooling on himself. With that said, the content of the speech was pretty trash. Like you said, it was less a SOTU and more of a campaign speech. The TDS was ever present with Biden referencing Trump continuously and of course the Dem buzzwords of "democracy at stake" and other such garbage was a big part of it. I didn't watch but about 10 minutes. Seems to be getting the reviews I expected - Dems loved it, republicans hated it. What else is new.

It won't save him though. Trump has huge momentum, especially with voters of color. And that will be the difference. At least right now. I acknowledge that a lot could change before November. I anticipate another war or virus or something before then so we'll see.

The looming question that had to immediately come to everyone's mind is, why the F did you wait until now to get this incredibly effective legislation in place?
Before you get too hypocritical you need to also ask the looming question of why are Trump and the Republicans turning their backs on the deal they've been asking for all that time.

Before you get too hypocritical you need to also ask the looming question of why are Trump and the Republicans turning their backs on the deal they've been asking for during that time.
Because, despite the label and the constant drumbeat, the bill sucks. The fact that you have fully swallowed the WH, media, and D claims that it helps is not the same as a "deal they've been asking for". It will only make things worse (unless the goal is to process more and more) and funds other things completely unrelated to OUR border. Further, it doesn't represent anything from an actual overhaul of immigration policy standpoint.

It would literally make matters worse and provide cover for those wanting to fund other wars. Joe can invoke the existing law that literally allows him to close the border and he could reinstitute many of the EO's that were in place. That would be another win for orange/lose for joe and this isn't about changing things at the border. But you probably already knew that.

Because, despite the label and the constant drumbeat, the bill sucks.
So you're suggesting the Republicans who helped draw up the bill are reneging on their hard work because they now realize their effort sucks? That's quite an endorsement.

Before you get too hypocritical you need to also ask the looming question of why are Trump and the Republicans turning their backs on the deal they've been asking for all that time.

learn to read, numbnuts...

The next question is, why the F didn't you mention the dem lard attached to it?

That's why, numbnuts.

With that said, the content of the speech was pretty trash. Like you said, it was less a SOTU and more of a campaign speech. The TDS was ever present with Biden referencing Trump continuously and of course the Dem buzzwords of "democracy at stake" and other such garbage was a big part of it.
I completely agree, but I think it was effective because most voters don't care about content/policy, they consume the fiery 10 second soundbites, and check to see if he dozed off during the speech or not. The average voter is quite dumb, and half of them are dumber than that - they're unfortunately not able to even properly analyze/comprehend what would be a good policy and what wouldn't.
It won't save him though. Trump has huge momentum, especially with voters of color. And that will be the difference. At least right now. I acknowledge that a lot could change before November. I anticipate another war or virus or something before then so we'll see.
I think you could hold the election today, in November, or this time next year - and the results would be effectively identical. There may be a very small amount of votes that are up in the air, but I imagine everyone already knows who they're voting for and aren't likely to be swayed, despite what they may say. The only thing that would change that is the black swan type event you alluded to like a large scale war or virus or whatever.

Reactions: blazers

Because Trump doesn't want Biden taking credit for fixing a problem that he himself caused. Duh. Plus, the Dems literally f*ck everything up they touch. So why would any sane person have the confidence this admin will enforce new laws and policies when they haven't enforced current laws and policies that have led to the current disaster?

I reckon another few million will get across before January. But hopefully Trump signs some significant EOs the first day he's in office.

i don’t have time to comment all day like you do, but i did finally read those opinions…i’m sure they’re tee’d up in your bookmarks for these moments, so i do appreciate that.

saw nothing on obama fanning flames, stoking fires, or not having the desire for improved race relations.

lol you sound exactly like the anti-george w bush crowd in the early 2000’s…they blamed him for everything that went wrong in their own life…sorry it’s been so tough on you.

giphy.gif

maybe you have an opinion on the women’s basketball team and their god awful play from week to week?…is this an indictment on banghart or deja?

tenor.gif

Reactions: nctransplant
Because Trump doesn't want Biden taking credit for fixing a problem that he himself caused.
You got the Trump doesn't want Biden taking credit part correct, but the Trump administration had issues at the border well before the current one.

Last edited:
oh OK, wow, that's really revealing...."(unintelligible) six years now...".

For context, Biden was explaining that the repubs finally able to draw up a great deal in terms of what they'd been wanting for eons. They weren't having to compromise instead they were taking concessions. Republic Lankford knew that, and his sad face "that's true" says it all -- the Conservatives were losing a good thing due to Maga.

lol. Whatever you need to tell yourself.
Relative to prior presidents, despite his rhetoric, Trump wasn't effective. Illegal crossing didn't change. Legal border stuff only changed when a global pandemic hit. If you are judging by numbers you'd want to go to back Obama's admin.

For context, Biden was explaining that the repubs finally able to draw up a great deal in terms of what they'd been wanting for eons. They weren't having to compromise instead they were taking concessions. Republic Lankford knew that, and his sad face "that's true" says it all -- the Conservatives were losing a good thing due to Maga.

You say this like it’s a bad thing.

MAGA owns the Republican Party now. It took a while but thankfully we finally got there.

Relative to prior presidents, despite his rhetoric, Trump wasn't effective. Illegal crossing didn't change. Legal border stuff only changed when a global pandemic hit. If you are judging by numbers you'd want to go to back Obama's admin.

False

Someone needs to add-up all the primary votes for Nikki Haley. Those are all votes that Trump will not be getting. Except all the black people, of course.

and that's why we want Trump. The repubs that supported the bill were caving to the usual dem tactic of sneaking fat in with a bill that they know will put the opposition in a can't win position...help pass the bill and give the dems the fat they want, or oppose the bill and have the dems make them out to be against (fill in the blank, in this case border security).

*The 180 bil. 'Border Security' Bill has only 20 bil for the border and the other 100 bil. is for various foreign aid. I wonder who decided to call it the 'Border Security' Bill.

Trump says fvck that, we'll get what's right when we are in control and able to bypass dem deception.

*ETA and that isn't the only reason the deal smells...

Bad Bill

Last edited:
dude, you've been shot down on this so many times it's a wonder you can still post. Try a different tune for our sake if not for yours.

Reactions: Archer2
@blazers would you explain this please? I should know better than to ask, but sometimes I just can't get enough of your rhetoric.

They weren't having to compromise instead they were taking concessions.

I know what the words mean, I just don't know how you mean them here. You know, the who what when and where of it.

I don't come to this side of the site but for very rare occasions. I watch EVERY SOTU speech no matter who the president may be. Last night's was especially hard to endure, sorry but I am not real in to a guy hyped up on some speed ball concoction lie to me for a hour. Just some of the things I noted from last night:

1) Biden notes Jill Biden and the camera pans to Jill as she begins to stand she gives the whole world a beaver shot? Go back and watch it! But know, if you do you will have to live with that sight, I had to look away!

2) I lost count of how many times Biden coughed but it had to near double digits. Now I thought all liberals had one hard un-breakable rule for coughing, that you cough in to your elbow, not your hand? Ole Joe then proceeds after the speech to shake every person in that room that he could with that very same hand? I have not seen a single person mention that, why?

3) That border bill Biden is so proud of? Now forget the things in that bill that Biden does not love to talk about, let's just look for this at what he does love to talk about. He wants to add more border security, OK, I can sorta live with that. Next he wants to add a lot more judges to hear the asylum appeals that are now like 5yrs out? Why are they so far out, because every single day more and more come across our boarder, you do nothing to whack down that back log if you are brining in more people than you are making a decision on every day. But what happens when you shut the border down, when you put back in place a remain in Mexico policy that was put in place by executive order, that was shut down by executive order, why are we (biden) saying we need congress, we don't.

So if we shut down the border by executive order we can focus on the legit asylum clams, we would be reducing the back long as opposed to the daily addition to it. What happens with those new judges and admin folks and guards once we have all that caught back up? Why do we need to in the first place when we have our military that can have the judges in place that are already on our pay roll, security already on our pay roll, admin folks, you guessed it, already on our pay roll? Even more, why are these folks and most are un-vetted, allowed to stay in this country once they performed an illegal act, they should be turned away NOW and have to wait for their asylum claims before a judge date while remaining OUTSIDE our country? Combine our military with ICE and round up every single person that is not here legally and send them outside of our borders, come in either the legal way or not at all. We have allowed, this so called president and encouraged an invasion in to this country and we have no idea what they are up to. It took less than 20 to pull off 9/11, we have just allowed thousands, millions of military aged men and we don't know what they are up to? THAT IS INSANE!

3) It is not Biden's age that concerns me, I could care less how old he is, I care about what his mental state is. You can be 50 and have mental issues and you can be 90 and in a solid mental state. You put Biden side by side Trump and let them both talk and you see very quickly one is in control of his faculties in Trump, no matter if you like what he says or not and one is simply not in control mentally in ole Joe from Scranton.

4) So let me see if I understand this, Biden wants to raise the min corp tax to 21% and at the same time bring back jobs that companies took outside this country to countries that have a better corp tax structure? That makes zero sense.

5) In that campaign speech biden gave last night, did he not just use a government platform to give a campaign speech yet do so paid by the tax payers? I thought that was illegal? Is that not a illegal campaign contribution? LOL It was a 100% democratic 1 sided speech, no olive branch for the other side at all.

6) Oh, ok, got cha, how many Snickers bars you get in a bag, how many Doritos now come in a bag is way more important than the stuff families in this country feel every day. Like the prices at that grocery store, the prices at the gas pumps, the price of buying a new home or refinancing the one you have? Those are not as important as how damn many Snickers bars come in a bag? You kidding me?

7) Biden crows about how many jobs he has added since becoming president and the media lets him get away with that every time, even the GOP lets him get away with saying that? Has everyone forgot that covid basically shut our country down for an extended period. Business had to close their doors, we lost millions of jobs during that time. But everyone knew that once that covid passed this country would open back up and we have but how many of those old jobs never came back? Of course when business opened back up jobs that had been stalled during covid were going to come back. Biden wants to take sole responsibility for every single job that came back, that was going to come back no matter what a president would do? But what about the thousands if not millions of jobs that DID NOT COME BACK? Biden has cost us jobs not provided them.

8) But it is good to see that maybe fences do actually work, that big one they put up at the capital seemed to work just fine last night, hey, maybe we could try that at our border? LOL

So much more but few will even read this much so I am going to end this one.

and that's why we want Trump. The repubs that supported the bill were caving to the usual dem tactic of sneaking fat in with a bill that they know will put the opposition in a can't win position...help pass the bill and give the dems the fat they want, or oppose the bill and have the dems make them out to be against (fill in the blank, in this case border security).

*The 180 bil. 'Border Security' Bill has only 20 bil for the border and the other 100 bil. is for various foreign aid. I wonder who decided to call it the 'Border Security' Bill.

Trump says fvck that, we'll get what's right when we are in control and able to bypass dem deception.

*ETA and that isn't the only reason the deal smells...

Bad Bill
First of all, the bill isn't earmarked at $180 billion. It's $118 billion. And it breaks down like this:

$60 billion in military aid for Ukraine
$14.1 billion in aid for Israel
$4.83 billion in aid for the Indo-Pacific region
$10 billion in humanitarian assistance for Ukraine, Israel, Gaza, among other places
$2.3 billion in refugee assistance inside the U.S.
$20.2 billion for improvements to U.S. border security
$2.72 billion for domestic uranium enrichment

I don't see any "dem lard" in there. Maybe you can point it out.

Second of all, Nolan Rappaport?
🤣
And you're calling me a numbnuts?!?!

First of all, the bill isn't earmarked at $180 billion. It's $118 billion. And it breaks down like this:

$60 billion in military aid for Ukraine
$14.1 billion in aid for Israel
$4.83 billion in aid for the Indo-Pacific region
$10 billion in humanitarian assistance for Ukraine, Israel, Gaza, among other places
$2.3 billion in refugee assistance inside the U.S.
$20.2 billion for improvements to U.S. border security
$2.72 billion for domestic uranium enrichment

I don't see any "dem lard" in there. Maybe you can point it out.

Second of all, Nolan Rappaport?
🤣
And you're calling me a numbnuts?!?!
How can anyone call this a "Border Security Bill" when over half of it is Ukraine aid? Strip it down to the $20.2B for improvements to U.S. border security, and then it's legitimate.

Reactions: Archer2
How can anyone call this a "Border Security Bill" when over half of it is Ukraine aid? Strip it down to the $20.2B for improvements to U.S. border security, and then it's legitimate.
Welcome to American two-party legislation. I would wager that EVERY BILL that is ever passed looks like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT