ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

That's funny. Guess all those campaign stops and rallies in those places that aren't swing states and towns in rural areas don't really happen. And you think it would improve with the elimination of the EC? Get a life and stop lying through your blue teeth. You only want a system, any system that improves your party's chances.
People are actually shocked that Trump went to CA. Media is asking: WHY? The attention outside of swing states just isn't there. You think we'd be asking Kamala about Fracking if Pennsylvania wasn't a swing state?

Too late. He kinda admits it. The internet has trumped the town hall. And again, at present you can focus on the mass media for swing-states only. In NC i'm seeing continuous mailers and commercials... i bet Wyoming gets zero.
Except you are wrong. They still do all that stuff. They are distributed over the internet, but all that stuff is still done. Why else did KH have that cringy video at a Sheetz? And they do the mass media buys where it's needed - places like NC. I was in PA last week and it was crazy. But I still see all that stuff here in MD as that's power of the internet. Wyoming doesn't get the same because they are decided and it would be no different with or without media buys. But you can believe they still see it. They have internet, no thanks to Joe and Kamala.
Rural issues outside of swing states don't matter though. Wyoming might have a specific need which is Rural, but it is going to be ignored unless that same matter is important to a swing state. Why are we talking about Fracking? Cuz Pennsylvania.
But that's a rural issue that impacts PA and their overall economy. How many fracking jobs are based in Philly and Pissburg? And rural issues tend to be universal. Fracking is important to PA, but coal mining/use and oil drilling, pipelines, refineries, etc. are issues elsewhere.
Small states are an afterthought, even the rural ones. NH is probably the only "swing" state, even though it has such a small number of EC votes it barely fits in this category. And states extremely rural are typically not swing states, so also an afterthought.

Some urban places are very Dem, but not all. Phoenix (Maricopa county) is the 5th biggest city, 48% of the county went for Trump.
You can pick all the exceptions to the rule that you want, but there are the rules for a reason. Most "urban places are very Dem".
I kinda agree. But at the same time his explanation could be restated as "currently, election integrity issues are only targeted or questioned at swing states". All the shenanigans focus on AZ and GA...
So the problem should be exploded? Others, like PA has issues as well. Whoever wins, wins. But it should be beyond question. No one should support anything that allows election integrity to be questioned.

Also, isn't important that the major cities in the country get SOME attention?

Of the top 25 largest cities in the US, only 5 are in a swing state: Charlotte, Phoenix, Philly, Las Vegas, Detroit. -- the rest DON'T MATTER, despite their impact on GDP.

Extend it to top 39 and you only add a few more cities: Tuscon, Albuquerque, Milwaukee, Atlanta.

So of the 39 largest cities in the US, only 9 get attention.
And of those 30 remaining cities, the ones that don't get attention, how have they reliably (or the states in which they reside) voted? Let's see that breakdown.

People are actually shocked that Trump went to CA. Media is asking: WHY? The attention outside of swing states just isn't there. You think we'd be asking Kamala about Fracking if Pennsylvania wasn't a swing state?
I agree that both of them have concentrated in the swings, but you really think that rural and less populated areas would get MORE attention with a popular contest system? I think you are kidding yourself.

Montana's 600,000 were the difference in the Bush v Gore super tight race. They would matter more without the EC than they do now. So yes, they're get more attention.
Don't be disingenuous. You can't take an election done with a system that was entirely based on the EC format and then claim that proves a tiny, almost irrelevant, population base would get attention. EVERYTHING would be different and they'd spend time and money like they always do - where it matters given the rules of the system at the time. Why spend resources on 600,000 votes when you could be somewhere getting 6,000,000?

I agree with the theoretical stance that one vote in Wyoming or Montana would matter just as much as a vote in Cali or NY, but they aren't sitting down having supper with all 330 million of us (approx 150 mil voters, I think). They are always gonna go with maximizing results with limited resources. Campaigns are limited by two things: time and money. Why would they do a 50 mil ad buy in Montana instead of somewhere that can produce results?

Props on the linked video explaining the electoral college. Some here should watch it - more than once - even though it's far, far longer than their attention spans. I'm not at all surprised it's from Hillsdale. I am surprised you linked it coming from there. Again, kudos.

However, I'm not sure your take aways/conclusions are consistent with the content. The professor lays out two important lists, the benefits of having the EC and what would happen without it.

Benefits of the Electoral College

Safeguards against "Tyranny of the Majority"
Fosters Truly Nationwide Campaigns
Encourages Moderation Amongst Candidates

Effects of Abolishing the Electoral College

Politics: From "Retail" to "Wholesale"
The Decline of "Rural Issues"
Greater Potential for Election Integrity Concerns

As such, I stand by my earlier comments on the topic. Now, we could debate the transformation of the system over the decades into how it is applied by the states and the individual political parties and whether we should morph it to eliminate winner take all, etc., but that's an entirely different discussion. Regarding your other questions about applying an EC style system to other offices or jurisdictions, that might not be a bad thing. The devil is in the details of course. You are spot on about one thing, however, "Too late now."
The most glaring detail that was ignored by the guy in the video was the 3/5's clause. Slave owners wanted their slaves to count as part of the population, but they couldn't vote. So... They settled on 3/5 of a person. I wonder why Virginia had so many presidents in the first 50 years.

The most glaring detail that was ignored by the guy in the video was the 3/5's clause. Slave owners wanted their slaves to count as part of the population, but they couldn't vote. So... They settled on 3/5 of a person. I wonder why Virginia had so many presidents in the first 50 years.
Yes, agreed. America has had many things in it's history over which it can't be proud given historical perspective and the evolutions of society that have occurred over the many, many decades. They also didn't have indoor plumbing back then as things change (unless you are in SF apparently). None of which has anything to do with the idea of mob rule, which was the actual topic. Your 3/5 complaint has not been an issue since the ratification of the 14th Amendment in 1868, over 150 years ago. You can make the pitch that it really wasn't "fixed" until the Voting Rights Act in 1965, but that's still almost six decades ago. It is a fascinating topic of history, just not the one your original video was addressing, so no actual need to include it.

Yes, agreed. America has had many things in it's history over which it can't be proud given historical perspective and the evolutions of society that have occurred over the many, many decades. They also didn't have indoor plumbing back then as things change (unless you are in SF apparently). None of which has anything to do with the idea of mob rule, which was the actual topic. Your 3/5 complaint has not been an issue since the ratification of the 14th Amendment in 1868, over 150 years ago. You can make the pitch that it really wasn't "fixed" until the Voting Rights Act in 1965, but that's still almost six decades ago. It is a fascinating topic of history, just not the one your original video was addressing, so no actual need to include it.
Exactly... So, we don't need that antiquated, archaic process anymore.

Hardly. The issues that it addresses will always exist regardless of whether there are 1K or 1B voting. We can agree to disagree and all is well my man.
Like I argued with bluetoe... in NO OTHER election process is it needed or used or even considered. Governors, mayors, sheriffs, any executive office. Republicans still manage to win those elections despite the "unfairness of urban voting populations" or tyranny of the majority. They'll have to adapt and reform their presidential platform, that's all.

And, eventually, they will find away around it.

Wait. So, you think these people are different from the rest of the larger subset of states who aren't so clueless about issues, candidates and parties that they do already know how they want to vote?
I think it's a bad idea to predicate our choice of leaders on the actions of an unrepresentative sample of voters from a small number of states.

That this small sample is also arguably the stupidest among us makes it even worse.

All that said, I'm glad that Pennsylvania is a battleground state. It's not small. It's not rural. It's not "right to work." It's not an evangelical stronghold. And it's fairly diverse. Which means the issues of most of America can't be totally ignored.

While not political, some will find this video about Pennsylvania interesting.

No... You can't call "any area" a state. Counties exist in states in the same way that states exist in the country.

I guess all the governors are Democrats because all of the big cities and their larger populations wind up electing them. That's not the case at all. And, they don't need any electoral college to attain the diversity.
really? You're a state. See, I just did it...and it's as meaningless as it is when you say a county is a state. Counties are not like states in the sense that States are States, but I'm fine with whatever fantasy you want to create about that, silly as it might be. Counties and States compare only in that they are designated geopolitical entities with borders separating them from adjacent geopolitical entities. Counties have their own administrative systems but they don't make their own laws. The biggest difference is that counties are created to administratively carry out what the State requires while existing States created a Union wherein the cooperative coalition was a collective advantage in world existence to each member. Each state was free to make its own laws as long as those laws did not counter the Constitution and Federal power. Basically, a State operated as a separate entity with its own powers. A county does not.

"And, they don't need any electoral college to attain the diversity."

The EC does not exist to attain or deny diversity. The EC exists to represent the states and shun the dangers of a simple majority in national elections. The problem with a popular vote was well considered in the video you provided. A state, being sovereign, can institute whatever selection structure it cares to for selecting its electors, but those electors act on the popular vote within the State. What's the problem?.

Just for S&G, imagine if States had an EC as well, with each county selecting its own electors. You might end up seeing less overdevelopment and a return to the perfect balance of rural and urban population that North Carolina was once lauded for having, instead of the ever-increasing urbanization and disparity of population and wealth that exists today between city and country......and the ongoing degradation of what has made NC the coolest State in the Union.

Winner take all is an example of Tyranny of the Majority. 6 million republicans in CA are losing their voice because the Majority is squashing their vote. Plus there are other much more impactful protections against "Tyranny of the majority" built into our gov.
that's tyranny of the majority within a State, indicating that it's the State that is being represented. And the arguments for the States to be represented in a national election have already been well made.

This is about a national election. What 'much more impactful protections against "Tyranny of the majority" ' exist that pertain to a national election.

Cute but awry argument you present. You seem to forget that while repub votes are discarded in Cali., dem votes are similarly discarded elsewhere. The votes lost or gained in any particular State don't tell the story you want to tell.

really? You're a state. See, I just did it...and it's as meaningless as it is when you say a county is a state. Counties are not like states in the sense that States are States, but I'm fine with whatever fantasy you want to create about that, silly as it might be. Counties and States compare only in that they are designated geopolitical entities with borders separating them from adjacent geopolitical entities. Counties have their own administrative systems but they don't make their own laws. The biggest difference is that counties are created to administratively carry out what the State requires while existing States created a Union wherein the cooperative coalition was a collective advantage in world existence to each member. Each state was free to make its own laws as long as those laws did not counter the Constitution and Federal power. Basically, a State operated as a separate entity with its own powers. A county does not.

"And, they don't need any electoral college to attain the diversity."

The EC does not exist to attain or deny diversity. The EC exists to represent the states and shun the dangers of a simple majority in national elections. The problem with a popular vote was well considered in the video you provided. A state, being sovereign, can institute whatever selection structure it cares to for selecting its electors, but those electors act on the popular vote within the State. What's the problem?.

Just for S&G, imagine if States had an EC as well, with each county selecting its own electors. You might end up seeing less overdevelopment and a return to the perfect balance of rural and urban population that North Carolina was once lauded for having, instead of the ever-increasing urbanization and disparity of population and wealth that exists today between city and country......and the ongoing degradation of what has made NC the coolest State in the Union.
Counties, like states, make their own laws. They can't be in direct violation to a state law... or a national law. But, they do make their own laws. Same with states... they cannot (or aren't supposed to) make laws that violate federal/national laws.

Thanks for admitting the EC isn't necessary. Much appreciated. Imagine IF the states would have it, it would be great... but, they don't. Guess what? That's the whole point. Like I said initially, wherever the money/wealth goes, that's where the governance will be, sooner or later.

Good idea.

Who knew you were so strongly in favor of democracy?
I knew and anyone else with a brain knows. I am strongly in favor of democracy. I'm in favor of the form of democracy we have, and not a mob rule sort that the simple-minded whine like children about not having whenever they are afraid of not getting their way.

That being said, thinking people know that any democratic structure itself is often antithetical to good rule. Democracy isn't about good rule as much as it's about freedom and fairness. I agree with whoever said that the best rule is a really good dictator. Catching a really good one is the problem there. I think it was long-ago Poland that asked someone from another country to step in and become their dictator in order to overstep the sort of factional, self-defeating political warfare we encounter. And that ended up being a good thing for them, kind of like hiring the best executive you can from outside to run your company. But we choose our measure of freedom over having the best rule, and we reject pure mob rule democracy in order to keep that measure of freedom and avoid the worst kind of rule.

Counties, like states, make their own laws. They can't be in direct violation to a state law... or a national law. But, they do make their own laws. Same with states... they cannot (or aren't supposed to) make laws that violate federal/national laws.

Thanks for admitting the EC isn't necessary. Much appreciated. Imagine IF the states would have it, it would be great... but, they don't. Guess what? That's the whole point. Like I said initially, wherever the money/wealth goes, that's where the governance will be, sooner or later.
no, they don't make their own laws as States do, which of course is what I was suggesting. They make by-laws and rules and regulations.

I would like it if you C&P'd where I said an EC isn't necessary, although of course it is not. It isn't necessary to have an election every four years. It isn't necessary to have a democracy. What is or isn't necessary is beside the point. The point being not what is necessary but what is best considering our kind of confederacy..

I always shake my head when you dwell on the fact that money talks and bullshit walks. Why don't you just go outside at night and yell at the moon for waxing and waning? Because all you're doing is yelling at human nature, and yelling at it isn't going to change it. The best we can do is channel the best traits to our best advantage, and keep the worst traits under control. Which is exactly why we have an EC. instead of the mob.

And of those 30 remaining cities, the ones that don't get attention, how have they reliably (or the states in which they reside) voted? Let's see that breakdown.
Well a bunch are in TX, Fl, OH and TN are up there if you are looking for large cities in red-controlled states that are mostly ignored.

that's tyranny of the majority within a State, indicating that it's the State that is being represented. And the arguments for the States to be represented in a national election have already been well made.

This is about a national election. What 'much more impactful protections against "Tyranny of the majority" ' exist that pertain to a national election.
See above from WWJD
Cute but awry argument you present. You seem to forget that while repub votes are discarded in Cali., dem votes are similarly discarded elsewhere. The votes lost or gained in any particular State don't tell the story you want to tell.
Don't the millions of Texan and FL voters deserve a voice just like all those Californians?

Don't be disingenuous. You can't take an election done with a system that was entirely based on the EC format and then claim that proves a tiny, almost irrelevant, population base would get attention. EVERYTHING would be different and they'd spend time and money like they always do - where it matters given the rules of the system at the time. Why spend resources on 600,000 votes when you could be somewhere getting 6,000,000?

I agree with the theoretical stance that one vote in Wyoming or Montana would matter just as much as a vote in Cali or NY, but they aren't sitting down having supper with all 330 million of us (approx 150 mil voters, I think). They are always gonna go with maximizing results with limited resources. Campaigns are limited by two things: time and money. Why would they do a 50 mil ad buy in Montana instead of somewhere that can produce results?
Sure, they might maximize, but right now they're are maximizing in just ten states (more like 7 actually). What about the other 40 - 43?

Last edited:
I agree that both of them have concentrated in the swings, but you really think that rural and less populated areas would get MORE attention with a popular contest system?
It can't get any less. Currently rural/less populated areas EVEN in SWING States get less attention for the exact reasons you are mentioning "why spend X time in the sticks instead of population centers of that state". Every vote counts, so at least they'd be slightly less ignored.

Don't be Noir and act so stupidly. The video addressed it and so did I with my comments about a separate discussion for the winner take all implementation. So, nice try. You only want the Tyranny of the Majority to get worse. Ever heard the expression about throwing out the baby with the bath water?

That's funny. Guess all those campaign stops and rallies in those places that aren't swing states and towns in rural areas don't really happen. And you think it would improve with the elimination of the EC? Get a life and stop lying through your blue teeth. You only want a system, any system that improves your party's chances.

Ah, now I get it. You dispute everything he claims, except when you agree with him. There is absolutely nothing moderate about who the D's cater to and their agenda. You always seem to push the Q and Proud Boy agenda and falsely attach it as an attack on orange. Stuff like Charlottesville, which you STILL have not admitted was a lie repeated by yourself. You need to look in a mirror about the divisiveness and stop using words like Hitler, bloodbath, dictator, etc.
How does a majority vote favor either party?

Why else did KH have that cringy video at a Sheetz?
That sheetz was in swing state.
And they do the mass media buys where it's needed - places like NC.
A swing state
But I still see all that stuff here in MD as that's power of the internet.
You are making my point about information being "everywhere" in the digital age vs localized, walk-up townhalls.
Wyoming doesn't get the same because they are decided and it would be no different with or without media buys.
"Are decided" as much as you could say all of CA "is decided" despite 6 million wanting the opposite. You are forcing a "decision" on a ton of people who don't want to be treated politically as a block.

Last edited:
you really think that rural and less populated areas would get MORE attention with a popular contest system?
The 8th least populated state is Nevada, stuck tween nebraska and kansas. It is getting a ton of attention, why? - SWING. New Mexico is 5th the way in case you think sparse states can't be blue.

Last edited:
Blueballs said:

"Counties have their own administrative systems but they don't make their own laws."

Try getting a drink in a dry county and you will see.
I remember that too well after 1978 in NC. My dad hated living in Nash County because he couldn't buy a mixed drink!

I'm not yelling. I'm just stating fact.
and stating it and stating it and stating it IN COMPLAINT...just like I said. And yes, you are in effect yelling at it, which of course was what I meant. I mean after all, anyone can see you weren't using all caps. Har har. Either way, fighting human nature as if human nature is a choice we make is beyond cluelessness. Complaining about what we inherently are is ridiculous.

Blueballs said:

"Counties have their own administrative systems but they don't make their own laws."

Try getting a drink in a dry county and you will see.
some of my earlier drinking-age years were in a dry county. I saw all I needed to see of that. The control of alcoholic beverages was done by way of by-laws that I referred to, and therefor your intended point doesn't counter what I said and so trying to make it was pointless. Like most of the points you try to make.

Fortunately, work-arounds abounded, and for the most part those work-arounds existed by breaking actual laws, not just local by-laws. For the lesser part, one could join the Moose Lodge or the American Legion and actually and legally order mixed drinks, which by law was verboten across the State at the time. Otherwise it was BYOB to a private club, in an area where that was allowed according to local by-laws..

As I posited here once, arguments usually come down to semantics. And the mindless are the ones who depend on semantics to further their viewpoints instead of arguing the actual point at hand. The mindless also try to regain some measure of self-esteem by resorting to childish nicknames for those who routinely show them up. That only makes them look more foolish, and they can't see it. Can you see it? Didn't think so.

some of my earlier drinking-age years were in a dry county. I saw all I needed to see of that. The control of alcoholic beverages was done by way of by-laws that I referred to, and therefor your intended point doesn't counter what I said and so trying to make it was pointless. Like most of the points you try to make.

Fortunately, work-arounds abounded, and for the most part those work-arounds existed by breaking actual laws, not just local by-laws. For the lesser part, one could join the Moose Lodge or the American Legion and actually and legally order mixed drinks, which by law was verboten across the State at the time. Otherwise it was BYOB to a private club, in an area where that was allowed according to local by-laws..

As I posited here once, arguments usually come down to semantics. And the mindless are the ones who depend on semantics to further their viewpoints instead of arguing the actual point at hand. The mindless also try to regain some measure of self-esteem by resorting to childish nicknames for those who routinely show them up. That only makes them look more foolish, and they can't see it. Can you see it? Didn't think so.
OK, in other words you don't know what you're talking about and you are full of shit.

• Love
Reactions: strummingram
See above from WWJD

Don't the millions of Texan and FL voters deserve a voice just like all those Californians?
did some law get created that bans them from voting? Excuse me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that they vote their voice just like everyone else, and their vote has an effect just as everyone else's vote does. What's your actual point?

So far as WWJD's post, what I got out of it was a VERY interesting rundown of Pennsylvania (Sweden? Really? Who knew.), the revelation that the narrator likes to cook, and the point being missed by WWJD; which is that the majority isn't being ignored, it's just not being allowed to override the freedoms of the individual....not the individual citizen nor the individual State. That's what makes America unique and great and I for one don't stupidly want to change what makes us great.

In case you don't believe Fox News

lol, whenever I want to link something counter to whatever idiocy the libs offer, I stay away from Fox because of the automatic rejection it encounters and because it's sweeter to have it come from something they can't dismiss, like PBS or MSD&C. ...or the horse's mouth like you just did. Love it.

But that's a rural issue that impacts PA and their overall economy. How many fracking jobs are based in Philly and Pissburg? And rural issues tend to be universal. Fracking is important to PA, but coal mining/use and oil drilling, pipelines, refineries, etc. are issues elsewhere.
You missed my point entirely. I said "Rural issues outside of swing states don't matter though. Wyoming might have a specific need which is Rural, but it is going to be ignored unless that same matter is important to a swing state. Why are we talking about Fracking? Cuz Pennsylvania."

So the argument isn't about fracking. Fracking is just an example of one "rural" issue. The point is that if fracking wasn't a swing issue in a swing state like PA we wouldn't be talking about it at all, despite it being meaningful in so many other states, whether large, small, rural, urban or otherwise.

The issue could've been maple syrup harvesting. No pres gives two shits about maple syrup harvesting cuz Vermont only has 3 EC votes.

"Decline of Rural Issues" is not an applicable argument because it is moot unless that specific issue occurs in swing state. You could have incredibly painful RURAL issues, but if those aren't occurring swing states, then they're going to get ignored.

It’s the only take needed. I’m not trying to win some argument with some, liberal Gen Z, queer. I don’t give a fu*k what you think. I’m not trying to change your mind. In fact, I like that you’re trying to convince yourself that he’s behind. Because it’s going to be more fun for me when he wins and I get to tell you to eat shit.

Ok I get it, critical thinking isn't your thing.

I have to ask, did you mom really not like you or something? You seem very angry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT