ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shared this with my Family & Friends........

mikeirbyusa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
ALL of you are my "Carolina Family" so I wanted to share with you also...................................

And the
battle rages on…………………………..

As most of
you know I've battled Cancer/MDS for the past 7+ years. I've been on different
drugs-chemo for the past 5 years. Each has worked for 2 years or so then it
quits. I'm starting a new one Monday which at this time looks like the last one
that will help me. Had to have a dual
port put in today for it. We went and talked to the Bone Marrow Replacement
team Thursday, Fran, my Sister Donna and me. Donna, we are hoping will be a
match. She was tested Thursday and we should know in about three weeks. When we
end up going the transplant route Fran and I are going to need some help. Along
with your prayers we dearly covet we will also need finical help! We found out
after the transplant I will have to stay in Durham for about 90 days. Have to
go to the Bone Marrow Clinic daily and be closely monitored. It has come down
to having this done or my time on this old Earth is coming to a close. But I do
know, If I go or if I stay, I'm a WINNER either way! My Lord and savior Jesus
Christ has promised me a place with him and that's good enough for me.
Naturally I'd love to stick around here a while longer and pester Fran and
David and Sandy and all the grandkids. But that won't happen without the
transplant. That's where y'all come in. They are going to set up an account to
help pay the bills, I'll get back with you later on that but the Apartment they
want me to stay in is $2800 a month and my insurance pays ZERO of that. Did I
mention I NEED HELP! $2800 X 3
months=$8400! Once the account is set up, as you can see every penny will
help! More to come later, not big on
airing my health issues to everyone but I'm learning, we ain't on no island
down here. God speed to all and keep
those Prayers coming!

So sorry to hear this. What if I could find you an apartment near dook that would be MUCH cheaper....is that allowed or are they requiring you to stay in the place you mentioned??

Thought about the same thing Scott. I will find out, left there in shock and didn't think to ask! But they do highly recommend staying there since security-sanitation MUST be a high priority. But I will ask.

So sorry to hear this, Mike. I will be thinking of you and your family and praying that all goes well.

Mike, so sorry to hear about what you have been and are going through. This brought a tear to my eye even though I don't know you, other than this site. I loved the line about being a winner either way. Regardless of who knows you here ,it is a comfort to know that you are known by the One who matters, Jesus.

I pray you do find that match and healing can come your way.

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:
Thought about the same thing Scott. I will find out, left there in shock and didn't think to ask! But they do highly recommend staying there since security-sanitation MUST be a high priority. But I will ask.
Yeah I figured the sanitation issue is a big priority. I have a few good rental property connections in the dook vicinity, that's why I mentioned it. Not sure I could find a place that would work but I'm sure happy to ask.

Once you're in town full time, I'll come by and see you ... I'm nearby and will be happy to run errands for you, visit and give you rides if necessary. I'll also have my awesome wife fix you a homemade meal every now and then - she's an excellent cook.

Thank you Scott! That kind of help will be invaluable! Going to be a long drawn out thing but I will keep everybody posted.

Mike, I am not sure, but they may require someone to clean and wipe down the unit daily, which may be included in the expense. Since it is a short term rental, the apartment owner is going to charge more since there will time when the unit can not be rented.
I am a multiple myeloma patient for 11 years and I have had two stem cell transplants at UNC,using my own stem cells. The recovery time is less. Duke does most of their transplants as out patient. My hospital stays were 16 and 17 days. Since I live close to CH, I was allowed to recover from home.
Duke will probably provide a social worker who may be able to assist with financial and housing options. You may want to contact thr LLS about their co-pay assistance program to see if you qualify. I don't think this will help with housing though
Good luck and I would be glad to discuss the transplant process wit you.

Thank you ERHS, shoot me an e-mail when you have time. mikeirbyusa@aol.com

Mike, I didn't know. I'm praying for you . I'll email you soon.

We need a "like" button.
cool.r191677.gif

Didn't know of this Mike. Prayers are with you and your family. We will contribute when the account is set up. God has plans for us that we don't understand but your faith will get you through this. I know you have the faith, my God give you the strength as well.

So sorry to hear this Mike. I am about an hour away from Derm, so I won't be much help day to day, but I can and will pray for you and help any other way I can. The Carolina family is big and I have no doubt will step up to help you out.

Jon

Mike I dont know you but on UNC sites as I read alot of what you post.I feel for you as my cousin is going thru what you r going thru right now.She will b require to stay in one too at Duke because she lives 2 hrs from Duke.Yes they do clean the place every day from what I hear. She does not know right now if she will go the transplant route.Hope she does.Insure should be covering all the cost but they dont cover any of it.

You can count on help from myself, Mikey . . I know of the many trips you have made to Duke Medical Center, and always thought you were in the very best care possible. Cancer is always a battle, but, one you don't have to endure by yourself . . I'll send you an email. Hang in there buddy . .

I love ya, brother Mikey . .

- Billy

Prayers to you Mike. Set up one of those go fund me pages and please let us help you financially during this time.

Mike, prayers with you. As soon as the account is set up please let us know.

Lord be with you as he always has been.

I'm going to make it a point to reach out to some of the Duke and Kentucky posters as I believe many will like to contribute. Rivalries pales when one of us wearing either shade of blue is in need.

Best I can figure that's a little less than $92 per night. One of those nights is on me. Just for fun I'll challenge anybody that saw the '82 Championship game to match. Post an address for us to send it to please. If this is not ok, message me an address so that I can send mine.

Wonderful gesture Gobbler! Any and all help/prayers GREATLY appreciateed by this old Taar Heel.

Mike I am so sorry to hear this! May God, The Great Physician, wrap His loving arms around you and take this evil disease from your body!!!

Originally posted by gobblercalls:
Best I can figure that's a little less than $92 per night. One of those nights is on me. Just for fun I'll challenge anybody that saw the '82 Championship game to match. Post an address for us to send it to please. If this is not ok, message me an address so that I can send mine.
I didn't see it live but I have watched it several times and have already brainwashed my son (3 years old) with who Michael Jordan is from watching that game. I was actually born in 1982 so I hope that counts :)

Count me in Mike.

Count me in. Let us know where/when to send. Prayers are with you Mike.

Originally posted by trollbaby:

Got you my prayers Mike! Have you contacted the Caring House? It's like a Ronald McDonald House for adults battling cancer.

http://caringhouse.org/
Man wish that would work, but for a Bone Marrow Transplant SOLITUDE is critical!

Mikey, man you know, we would likely not recognize each other if we passed on the street but none the less I do consider you a very very valued friend, no less than anyone I know real life and hang out with, in some cases even more. That is the weird thing about these message boards, you make friends from all the back & forth discussions, friends that you would not recognize on the street but friends none the less. I honestly did not know you were in this struggle, heck of a freind I am to not really know the extent of this, I do feel bad about that, no less than you would if you knew I had a similar struggle.

There are not many I run in to, in this real world or in this virtual world that I think as much of as I do you, maybe a guy like JC I would feel similar about but ya darn sure on a short list of people I have ultimate respect for. My business SUCKS right now, I can't do as much for you as I really want, I will darn sure do what I can and I know I didn't have to tell you that, I know you already knew what I think of you as a man, as a freind, and how I value my friends.

Mike any time you need a buddy to talk to, I am as close as a phone call and my friends consider me their personal threrepist, I listen, I offer what I have to offer and for some reason my freinds seem to think what I offer them is very helpful. Yes, I understand you have financial concerns, I can help that only as much as I can but what you are going thru financial concerns are not the most difficult things to handle, throw enough $$$ at finiancial problems and they go away but emotional concerns, especially those a man has are things that a man just has to have a friend for, a person that cares, a person willing to listen, and yeah, a man sometimes feels like he needs to cry and can only do so with a trusted friend. Mike, if you need me to jump in my truck and drive to where you are at any time day or night, you tell me, if you need to call me and just talk, you call me. You let me be a friend Mike Irby and I will do just that.

Now to EVERONE ELSE....GUys, you read what Mike wrote, I want to make sure each and every one of you understand how hard it was for a man like Mike Irby, a proud man, a proud Christian man, a good man, to write how hard this is in him financially. NO MAN finds it easy to ask for help and especially financial help to do so means this good man had no other avenue available to him. I could care less what sports team you love, this ain't about any of that nonsense, this is about a good man that dramitcally needs help. YOu can hate MIke because he banned you from this site if you want but that is petty nonsense, we are now talking real life, we are now talking about a man that NEEDS YOUR HELP> The ONLY question I want you to search your soul for an answer to is are you willing to help a good man, are you willing to pay something VERY important forward and maybe one day have it re-paid back to you 100 times fold.

Like me, hate me, like Mike or hate Mike, I don't care people, I beg you, I am down on my knees beggin EVERONE that reads this to send what ever you can for no other reason than to help a good man. I can't promise you anything in return for it, I would if i could. BUt folks we are still celebrating the life of another good man, Dean Smith and Dean lived by one creed, do the right thing for no other reason than becausae it is the right thing to do. I myself am a very proud man but this proud man is BEGGING< down on my knees BEGGING EACH AND EVERY PERSON THAT READS THIS TO PLEASE HELP IN ANY WAY YOU CAN, PLEASE HELP MY FRIEND MIKE IRBY. This much I know about MIke Irby, if it were any one of you Mike would not hesitate be you a Duke fan, a Ky fan, a NC State fan no matter who you are a fan of, Mike Irby would do EVERYTHING IN HIS POWER TO HELP YOU NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURT. MIke would be the first to do a lot for you, can you see it in your heart to at least do a little for him.

God, PLEASE give me the words to touch the hearts of those that read this, I am on my knees crying like a baby begging, I David am begging...

I`m so sorry to hear this Mike and I too never had a clue. I can promise you I will pray nightly for you and contribute what I can when the account gets set up. Glad to hear your faith is strong. We never know what plan God has for us. Sounds as if you have a great support group.

Count me in! Sending you healing love and light. May gods grace shine on you and your family.

Mikey has been fighting this thing for a long time and only a few of us knew of his struggle. I'm glad he has finally come forward and asked for a little help because Lord knows we all need it at one point or another.

I've known this good, good man for quite a while now and I can tell you this; Mike Irby is as fine of a man as there is among us. I know some of you don't believe in a God or a hereafter...but Mikey does and he lives his life as the Bible tells us we should. He is a minister and has given of himself to help others...now it's our turn to help him.

No one is keeping score here...I challenge everyone who reads this to simply give what you can, and remember our friend when you hit your knees. There is not a single person out there that Mikey wouldn't do the same for.

--Jim

Brother Dave & Brother Jim, THANK YOU for all the kind words, shame I can't always live up to them!

Dave, don't you dare beat yourself up for not knowing, hide it from most for several years.

We truly are TAR HEEL FAMILY and I'm going to lean on y'all for strength-encouragement quite a bit in the days ahead. Couple that with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and I can't lose.

THANK YOU ALL from the bottom of my heart!

Hey Mike...it must have been five years ago already but I know we shared a couple emails when this battle began for you. If there's one thing you've proved it's that you're a fighter. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and friends as you continue this brave fight and BEAT this awful disease.

May God's strength continue to preside over you as you take this next leg of the battle....all my best!!!

DJ

And as expected many Duke posters have offered to help. Thanks to all of you. Rivalries are rivalries playing games with our emotions and minds, but cancer is cancer. Great respect for those willing to put aside a rivalry and help out one in need.

First, I want to thank Heelbent for all the time and trouble he went through to allow me to post in this thread.
As I said in the thread on DI, I don't really have much to add, but I did want to come to Mike's home base and show my respect for him by posting in his thread.

I got your email, Mike, and thank you for the kind words. As you said before and most of your fellow Tar Heel friends echoed...life trumps all else. The rivalry is fun, and furious, and many times bitter...but it's still just basketball, and in the scheme of things doesn't amount to a hill of beans (my best Bogart :). I think most of us have more in common than we think, other than our stubborn desire to see our own shade of blue triumph.

You know you're in my prayers, Mike, and we all know that God doesn't care what jersey we wear or pull for.
Take care, may God bless you (and your family), and heal you of this terrible disease.

Mike, I am so sorry to hear about what you're having to go through. I am thankful to hear that your hope and faith is in Jesus Christ regardless of the situation. Just know that you'll be in my prayers. God speed healing to you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT