ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: How Much Time Would You Give Hubert?

If it were up to me, I'd give Hubert ____________ to turn it around.

• As much time as he needs. No limit.

• More than 5 years, total (3+ more years).

• 5 years total (3 more).

• 4 years total (2 more)

• 3 years total (1 more)

• 2 years total (no more). I've seen enough.

• Pull the plug right now.

• I don't feel comfortable voting on this. Just show me the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Don't be so quick to dismiss it. The lure of easy money has a very strong appeal and could easily detract/distract a young adult away from the betterment of the team to the betterment of the individual and both encourage and reward self-promotion and individual achievements. jmo
Well, these guys will soon find out that you can't be fat and happy when they lose that money. I guess it's possible that we just happened to recruit all the players that can't handle it. Maybe it would be a good idea to have someone in place who could keep it from happening. Look at the top 10 in every sport to find them.

I'm not blameing NIL but i do wonder how we handle it. When i was in school NIL would have changed my life and perhaps made things too easy. Perhaps we aren't doing enough to make sure our players stay hungry. We've played like a very soft team all year. No physical or mental toughness has been displayed this year.

this team is not inspired to play tough gritty defense. is that a failure of the coaching staff, or kids who won't buy in? or both? also, this team plays playground style on offense with little passing and moving without the ball, which is sad considering the motion offense was perfected, if not invented, at unc. basically these kids are trying to shoot their way out of a slump, which is a mistake. bear down on defense, drive to the basket, and work the ball for good shots, and most of all: STOP STANDING AROUND.
I have a little trouble knowing if people are just standing around, or if they are going to the spots the coaches tell them to go to.

That's probably more true for standing around on offense, but some on D, as well.

The other part of bad D is asking players to do what they may not be good at on D. Not everybody can be an in-your-grill defender. Not everyone can anticipate passes or block shots. Yet maybe they can be good defenders in other ways.

Are we asking our guys to defend in ways they actually CAN defend?

Reactions: JimmyinVA
There are differences between states and it's up to the school to figure that out, but blaming NIL is just trying to find a boogie man. And I know I'll get some pushback for saying it, but it's mostly an older generation thing. You got to do it the way it was or it's wrong.
I find myself in an awkward position on NIL. I have been a long time advocate that the players should share some of the fruits of their labor, but I'm not a fan of this Wild West solution.

It's the new reality. They don't need me to approve. Maybe they need to handle it better, but I don't know if that's the case. How would you find out?

Maybe it would be a good idea to have someone in place who could keep it from happening.
I think they do. It's called a coaching staff and the easiest way to curb that individual play is to provide some pine time to think about it. So far that has not happened and it's fairly obvious.. at least to some.

But in all fairness that stupid 4 out offense lends itself to individualistic play. No excuse on the defensive side though.

I find myself in an awkward position on NIL. I have been a long time advocate that the players should share some of the fruits of their labor, but I'm not a fan of this Wild West solution.

It's the new reality. They don't need me to approve. Maybe they need to handle it better, but I don't know if that's the case. How would you find out?
The NCAA should have definitely put some guardrails in place, but as always they screwed it up. But people keeping looking at these star players who are getting these big deals and act like it's the norm. The vast majority of these things go to other players in other sports that don't get attention. The swimmer who appears in a magazine or the field hockey player who can have a summer camp. The average player is making enough to get a nice used car.

this team is not inspired to play tough gritty defense. is that a failure of the coaching staff, or kids who won't buy in? or both? also, this team plays playground style on offense with little passing and moving without the ball, which is sad considering the motion offense was perfected, if not invented, at unc. basically these kids are trying to shoot their way out of a slump, which is a mistake. bear down on defense, drive to the basket, and work the ball for good shots, and most of all: STOP STANDING AROUND.
It makes my eyes bleed, we come down on an offensive set, of course walking the ball up because oh my we wouldn't want to run a actual fast break, we go in to this half court offense. Where my eyes bleed is I watch Nance camp out a couple steps past the 3py arch while the ball gets stuck on the opposite end of the court away from Nance, he just stands there, his defender creeps in toward the paint ready to give back side help, Nance still stands right there, ball goes up and he does a great job of watching it fly toward the basket, yet he stands right there.

Now this is called a spread offense, the purpose is to spread out the defense so that guys can play one on one rather than have to deal with as many double teams. However for that to have any chance at working those guys that are camped out outside the 3pt arch have to be knock down shooters, else their defenders will cheat off to double someone else and not really worry if the ball swings back to Leaky or Nance because they actually want Leaky or Nance to shoot it from distance. The end effect is rather than spreading the defense we spread our offense while our main 3 scorers are covered close & hard and in the case of Bacot, double and triple teamed. IN essence we are trying to run our offense 3 on 5.

Now I would ask anyone, how can you say none of our players have improved when they are having to play offense 3 on 5? Last season we were able to play offense most of the time 4 on 5 and Leaky was not taking as many treys (invited to take treys). Leaky's shooting has improved but he just is not the guy we need to see pumping treys. I want to see constant movement, I don't want to see standing around with no purpose. I want to see ball movement, player movement, less dribble, and more screens and pop to position. That is how you attack out of a spread look having weak outside shooting. WE are having to settle for contested long jumpers because guys are not moving so the defense is not being forced to move, the shot clock ticks down and we end up having to take that contested long jumper that we fuss at Caleb for taking.

But in all fairness that stupid 4 out offense lends itself to individualistic play. No excuse on the defensive side though.
On the defensive end, unfortunately we do have some guys that need their offense to be going well before they really hunker down on defense, Caleb is the poster child for this but to an extent the others as well. We play decent defense for the first 20 seconds of the shot clock but the last 10 of the shot clock we fall apart, many times because someone took a un-needed risk.

Now very clearly, we don't just do a bad job of handling the high screens that rub off our guy defending the drives, we do a historic bad job of it. Did ya watch how the NC St players handled it when Bacot set that same high screen to rub a defender off RJ or Caleb? They hedged really deep, they diverted our ball handler at least 3 steps out, stoned the drive. When did you last see our big man defending the high screen actually divert the ball handler 3 steps back?

So without hedging the ball handler off his track of driving the lane we either try to give off side help and supposed to rotate in to the passing lanes, poor communication and what looks like a lack of awareness leaves those passing lanes open for easy kick back for spot up treys if the driver does not have clear path to the rim. Realizing that this was not working well we tried this drop coverage nonsense but to think Bacot is going to be able to handle a ball hander that is already looking to drive is a no go from the jump, most especially trying to defend the high score because Bacot basically ends up blocking off our chaser and has to switch off to the big man that set the high screen? The drop coverage forces Bacot to switch to the ball handler and our chasing guard to switch off to a big man looking to **** down the paint? LOL

And don't even get me started on how we defend a big man backing our defenders down in the lane...

It makes my eyes bleed, we come down on an offensive set, of course walking the ball up because oh my we wouldn't want to run a actual fast break, we go in to this half court offense. Where my eyes bleed is I watch Nance camp out a couple steps past the 3py arch while the ball gets stuck on the opposite end of the court away from Nance, he just stands there, his defender creeps in toward the paint ready to give back side help, Nance still stands right there, ball goes up and he does a great job of watching it fly toward the basket, yet he stands right there.

Now this is called a spread offense, the purpose is to spread out the defense so that guys can play one on one rather than have to deal with as many double teams. However for that to have any chance at working those guys that are camped out outside the 3pt arch have to be knock down shooters, else their defenders will cheat off to double someone else and not really worry if the ball swings back to Leaky or Nance because they actually want Leaky or Nance to shoot it from distance. The end effect is rather than spreading the defense we spread our offense while our main 3 scorers are covered close & hard and in the case of Bacot, double and triple teamed. IN essence we are trying to run our offense 3 on 5.

Now I would ask anyone, how can you say none of our players have improved when they are having to play offense 3 on 5? Last season we were able to play offense most of the time 4 on 5 and Leaky was not taking as many treys (invited to take treys). Leaky's shooting has improved but he just is not the guy we need to see pumping treys. I want to see constant movement, I don't want to see standing around with no purpose. I want to see ball movement, player movement, less dribble, and more screens and pop to position. That is how you attack out of a spread look having weak outside shooting. WE are having to settle for contested long jumpers because guys are not moving so the defense is not being forced to move, the shot clock ticks down and we end up having to take that contested long jumper that we fuss at Caleb for taking.
One of 2 main reasons Cam got a lot better his last year was he was healthy. The other was that he started moving without the ball instead of being almost entirely a spot up shooter.

It helped that he played with Justin Jackson, who moved without the ball better than most players we've had. In fact, I can hardly recall any conversations about moving without the ball before JJ.

It seems to me like we've moved away from that. Even Brady, who certainly spotted up a lot last year (and was successful at it) would keep them honest by diving through the lane or toward the baseline from time to time. And that worked, too, because RJ (and sometimes Caleb) would look for him when he did that.

Why don't we use Pete that way? I commented after a previous game that when I watched Pete he would sometimes be wide open at one of his spots and rarely got the ball. Then when he was being closely guarded they'd feed him. How does that make sense?

I have to see Hubert for a season after Love and Black are gone to truly judge. Love's play is hugely destructive to winning basketball most of the time, and it's very tough for a player like Leaky to work when you don't have enough shooting elsewhere on the floor, which we do not. With Nance's back issue, we're basically getting negative offensive contributions from the 2/3/4 - that's untenable. Yes, Hubert could bench those guys but very few coaches would have the gumption to do that - I'm not going to judge him harshly because he hasn't made those moves, so few others would.

Hubert's hoping Nance's back improves and Love catches a hot streak, and that's what a huge majority of coaches would do with the hand he's been dealt. It's not what I'd like, but I get it. I'll wait to see what Hubert's team looks like with a new 2/3/4 before I pass total judgement on his coaching. For now it's mixed, but he and I will both hope we can get hot again at the right time and salvage something out of this season.

You have to see if Hubert can bounce back from this season. He's the type of individual thats gonna work tirelessly to fix this. Lets hope he's able to push the right buttons and make the adjustments needed.
No doubt he will work hard. But I am still reminded of the motto of a company I used to work for: "a successful supervisor is not measured by his efforts but by the results he obtains."

at what point do people realize that Hubert was the lead recruiter for most all of these guys that we have now. The notion that things will drastically change with "his guys" is a pipe dream. Hubert has shown that he can't coach his way out of a paper bag. Hell we are 16-11 and he's still saying publicly that nothing is broken, we just need to play harder, while anybody with a pulse can clearly see we got problems with personnel, system, shot selection, etc.

Reactions: al would
at what point do people realize that Hubert was the lead recruiter for most all of these guys that we have now. The notion that things will drastically change with "his guys" is a pipe dream. Hubert has shown that he can't coach his way out of a paper bag. Hell we are 16-11 and he's still saying publicly that nothing is broken, we just need to play harder, while anybody with a pulse can clearly see we got problems with personnel, system, shot selection, etc.
GoN, Hubert was recruiting kids to play in Roy's system, not his own system.

What I see from Hubert so far is a guy that has some really interesting ideas that he thinks can really help us win more games, I truely believe he believes is the best path. I may not agree with his decisions all the time but I do trust his motivation, I trust that he believe he is doing what has to be done.

Problem is a brand new coach has to have the time to figure out not just what he wants his system to be but to as well figure out what actually works. EVERY first time head coach has to learn on the job, they don't know if their initial ideas will or can work. Hubert is going thru OJT right now.

What I see from Hubert so far is a guy that has some really interesting ideas that he thinks can really help us win more games, I truely believe he believes is the best path. I may not agree with his decisions all the time but I do trust his motivation, I trust that he believe he is doing what has to be done.

Problem is a brand new coach has to have the time to figure out not just what he wants his system to be but to as well figure out what actually works. EVERY first time head coach has to learn on the job, they don't know if their initial ideas will or can work. Hubert is going thru OJT right now.
100% agree with this, which is why he needed to spend time as a head coach at another school before coming here. UNC isn't a place where you should figure things out. Let's just hope he can reevaluate things over the summer and be ready next year.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
100% agree with this, which is why he needed to spend time as a head coach at another school before coming here. UNC isn't a place where you should figure things out. Let's just hope he can reevaluate things over the summer and be ready next year.
Exactly. Every 1st time HC just work some kinks in what he wants to do and how to to it. Beter for UNC ion those are worked at SoCon orMVC or even Pac school.

Reactions: RoseHeel
Hubert was recruiting kids to play in Roy's system, not his own system.
So a head coach is doing all he can by going an entire season, with plain pathetic results, by game planning for a team he knows has little to no realistic chance of achieving and producing under that game plan, yet refuses to change anything about it either with planning or personnel yet is still doing his job as a HC ??? Lemme do some quality control checks on my last order from https://rogueshop.com and cogitate on that one for a spell cause that could require some creative justification thought :) .

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
I agree with DSouth's explanation, and yours. I'm not sure why they took a chance on a guy that has never been a head coach. However, the whole thing is out of my wheelhouse. I don't know the man, I don't know his potential or abilities. I don't know them because, mostly, I dunno jack-squat about basketball on the level that we're discussing.

The ONLY thing I really don't get is the "Must Be A Former UNC Player"-thing. To me, that's kneecapping yourself somewhere along the line. Steve Robinson would help immeasurably , while he gets his sea legs.

Reactions: tarheel0910

This is spot on Dsouthr. It is like when u go to a new job. Nobody fairly expects you to be as successful as the employees that have had time there when you are just beginning the job.

Imagine how impatient and fed up the fans would be this season if there had been no tournament magic last season, not to mention the dookie wins at the end. They'd be wanting Davis fired right now.

Was going to vote 4-0 but not a chance watching them tonight against ND…wrong thread kinda like this team

I trust that he believe he is doing what has to be done.
Fair enough, Hubert's not phoning it in, and he has good intentions. But can't you say that about nearly every coach?

And is that really good enough?

I mean he's not a player. He's the coach.

Sometimes you have a player who simply isn't that good. You can still appreciate him and even play him (some) if you think he really tries, and if playing him doesn't hurt the team. But unless the rest of the team sucks, trying hard and good intentions alone aren't enough to make him a starter.

Like most here, I'm willing to give Hubert more time for his good intentions to translate in to Carolina excellence. I thought he was a good hire, although that was partly because I didn't have any better idea who to hire. But I have to say that I'm disappointed - now that last year's super finish looks like a fluke, and more a product of having Brady Manuk than any coaching prowess

• Sad
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I don't understand why peeps can speculate all they want as long as the speculation is negative. Peeps echo the idea that players are getting worse, even though they are not, but totally reject anything like NIL that might be negatively impacting their performance! Just because Kansas has a few players who get top tier money doesn't mean they are in the same position as UNC. We have more players on the top tier AND more importantly, they are individuals who will be impacted differently due to their personalities! NIL is an aspect of what is changing in basketball but it isn't everything. There is also a need for growth on our staff, but that is expected by any with even a casual knowledge of the profession! Peeps are now even trying to downplay Hubs' recruiting by saying the ridiculous phrase that anyone with a pulse could recruit here! If you were awake, you know Hubs has totally elevated UNC's cachet and is recruiting better than we have in 10 years!

Last year was a fluke???? This means that there is nothing the coach can do that will ever be positive. When they win it is the players like Manek, but if they lose it is the coach.....we are better than this! MANEK sucked for half the season-so he developed himself????? The whole team sucked for much of the season before, so they created their own new system??? When he gets a recruit it is because of it being UNC, but when he doesn't it is because he doesn't know how to play the game! Why even have coaches????? I am sorry since I used to have a hard rule to never go directly at peeps, I apologize for that WWJD, but I cannot stomach how much we try to eat our own lately. The good news is I will become more productive at work since I will soon have to let this negativity go!

Last edited:
Last year was a fluke???? This means that there is nothing the coach can do that will ever be positive. When they win it is the players like Manek, but if they lose it is the coach.....we are better than this! MANEK sucked for half the season-so he developed himself?????
I threw "fluke" out there because it's starting to dawn on me that Hubert may not be the new Denny Crum. He may not be a coach who takes losses early but has his guy peak at the right time.

Admittedly, there's still time for a miraculous finish. In which case I'll go back to thinking that. Not that I like losing early on, you understand, but if it gives us great stretch runs, I'll adapt.

As for Manek, I don't think anyone is saying that Manek developed himself. I absolutely give Hubert credit for bringing Brady to that level of excellence. But if the only guys Hubert can coach to excellence are named Brady Manek, we're in trouble.

I love how positive you are and most of the time I'm there with you. But for me, there's no more slack I can cut.

And yes, I put this mostly on Hubert. With a few exceptions, I think our guys could and should be coachable into Carolina excellence. A few are already close. But unless a miracle happens, I frankly don't think we'll see it this season. So . . . I'm unhappy that our players - not just us fans - aren't getting what they should be getting out of being part of UNC's basketball heritage.

I recognize the point you are trying to make, but I'd also argue that is further supports the fact that Hubert is greatly underperforming. He's in year 2, with average at best overall results, and has played almost 2 full seasons with the same personnel. He was the lead recruiter for many of these kids, and has had a front row seat to their growth and development, strengths and weaknesses in practice and in games. The lack of adjustments and continued focus on "staying the course" despite miserable results is mind boggling to me. I think that's what is most frustrating is that he has continued down the same path and getting similar results, yet never changing course. That's not a good look for him and for our program.

• Love
Reactions: Carolinadude23

so spot on! SO SPOT ON!!!!!

Oh well looking at the poll results ole Hubert's gonna be here at least another 2 years!! Fudge, what am I gonna do the next 2 basketball seasons then?? wake me up in 2026 then! You'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT