ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue has an offensive coordinator... for basketball

gauchoheel

Hall of Famer
Jul 29, 2016

Thought this was an interesting piece, especially these parts:

“I just felt like I was making some decisions through subbing, through battling with officials, in play calling, to where they were kind of play calls out of emotion, if I’m framing that the best way,” Painter says. “And I just said, ‘You know what, I have to take a step back and get over myself a little bit here and do what’s best for our program, even though no one was really doing this like we are.’ I felt like I had to do that, and that was what was best for our program."

And here:

"Purdue’s playbook of nearly 150 plays is built on program-specific vernacular, memorized in the offseason and digested on the fly in games. The first word is the position players align in, with subsequent ones being specific actions in the play. Thompson has a call sheet with him on the bench to work through just as a football coordinator would and communicates the calls by writing them on a small whiteboard he flashes to his team as it runs up the floor for offensive possessions. Generally Purdue will go into a game with 20 to 25 calls it likes against the defense based on advanced scouting, but the entire playbook is open, if necessary, based on adjustments made by the defense. In all, Painter says 95% of the decisions get made before the game, then get installed in game seamlessly to avoid making “emotional” decisions."

Worth a read. It's been interesting to see the contrast from Roy to Hubert. Seems like Hubert calls out a lot more set plays now instead of Roy's read based motion than offense, especially in the 2nd half and end of games.

So this reads to me like the Purdue head coach does not think that he can make rational side line decisions in a game? I doubt he communicated that when he interviewed for the job...LOL

One of my home town, but a few years after my high school time, and he played at a private school (a rival opponent), not the city school I was connected with at the time, before he went on to have a very solid carreer at Purdue as a player, Brandon Brantley, is on the staff. (We got the better of them by the way in some great games although he always played great against us).

Painter is very much hands on, and is a old school personality, but they are very much sabermetric inclined as well, they have specific areas that the staff is delegated to be lead man to report to him pre game prep wise.

One of my home town, but a few years after my high school time, and he played at a private school (a rival opponent), not the city school I was connected with at the time, before he went on to have a very solid carreer at Purdue as a player, Brandon Brantley, is on the staff. (We got the better of them by the way in some great games although he always played great against us).

Painter is very much hands on, and is a old school personality, but they are very much sabermetric inclined as well, they have specific areas that the staff is delegated to be lead man to report to him pre game prep wise.
That was an extremely deep team that Brantley played on at Purdue. The year after Big Dog Robinson. They still had Cuonzo Martin, Justin Jennings and a slew of good guards. Painter was on that team too, I believe. I always like Brantley as a player.

Reactions: dtodd4475
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT