ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Kansas game - NCAAT)...

There was a clear foul on Harris they missed that led to a turnover for us. He swings behind Davis and hits his dribbling arm from behind, causing Davis to lose the ball near the sideline on the offensive end that they ended up recovering.

Wasn't terribly called but missed calls were made.
I don't know of any game that has ever been called perfectly, though. There are missed calls going both ways. I think in the end the players on the court decided this one, which is all that can be asked.

I don't know of any game that has ever been called perfectly, though. There are missed calls going both ways. I think in the end the players on the court decided this one, which is all that can be asked.
...or maybe the COURT itself decided this one.

Seriously though, as I said in the OP, while the zebras certainly abetted KU's 2nd-half aggression, had any one of three things gone our way --- Mando not being bitten by the floor, Caleb not spraining is ankle, or (most importantly) us not reverting to bad habits --- we more than likely take it home.

...or maybe the COURT itself decided this one.

Seriously though, as I said in the OP, while the zebras certainly abetted KU's 2nd-half aggression, had any one of three things gone our way --- Mando not being bitten by the floor, Caleb not spraining is ankle, or (most importantly) us not reverting to bad habits --- we more than likely take it home.
Haha, a bit of KU Harry Potter magic.

Don't disagree with your point, but the reverse is also true. Look at the free throw disparity in the first half when UNC was going on its run. I think it was something like 18-4 in favor of UNC. And KU disappeared in the first half like they did in many games this year (reverting to bad habits). They make even half of their layups, and they win the game by 15.

The floor thing is purely bad luck. I find it odd if that is how it is designed. I need to learn more on it to know. I watched it a number of times and it's impossible to tell if Mando rolled because of the floor, or as Gottleib said the floor behaved as intended, and Mando just went too aggressive given his weakened state. It's too easy to Zapruder film it, which I feel like I did. "If you look here, the floor goes down, and his ankle goes forward and to the right...forward and to the right."

In the end, I feel like the players decided the game. Every loss allows for, "if only..." reviews but in the end KU was better than UNC on that night. A few breaks for UNC, and they win it. A few breaks for KU, and they win by more.

If given the question 3 months ago: would you take beating Duke at Duke for K's final game, knocking them out of the tournament, and making it to the finals, every single UNC fan would say yes. I hate those types of analysis, because it ignores how things developed, but it is valuable in recognizing that it's too easy to get caught up in the "what if..." game and forget the season, on the whole, should be viewed as a massive win. Davis is a win, the program is in good hands, and the season was a resounding success.

Haha, a bit of KU Harry Potter magic.

Don't disagree with your point, but the reverse is also true. Look at the free throw disparity in the first half when UNC was going on its run. I think it was something like 18-4 in favor of UNC. And KU disappeared in the first half like they did in many games this year (reverting to bad habits). They make even half of their layups, and they win the game by 15.

The floor thing is purely bad luck. I find it odd if that is how it is designed. I need to learn more on it to know. I watched it a number of times and it's impossible to tell if Mando rolled because of the floor, or as Gottleib said the floor behaved as intended, and Mando just went too aggressive given his weakened state. It's too easy to Zapruder film it, which I feel like I did. "If you look here, the floor goes down, and his ankle goes forward and to the right...forward and to the right."
For the record though, that first-half FT disparity was 100% earned, and those were not just "missed layups", as some have inferred --- we were playing some damn good defense and challenging everything. That has an effect.

Our self-inflicted stuff in the second came from getting away from the transition and inside-out attack that had garnered us a 15-pt lead, and instead reverting to dribbling as a default and one-sided offense.

I've read multiple articles that state if a 4 year senior comes back for his 5th year due to the extra year from covid, it does not count against the schools scholarship limit (if they come back to the same school). It does count to the school if a player transfers in for their covid year.
That was only for this past season. The NCAA would need to pass legislation for that to occur again next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT