ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Kansas game - NCAAT)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and I'll resist the cliche "tale of two halves" thing, because that doesn't get it ---- it was actually a tale of Carolina basketball vs the opposite of that.

Look, like many of you, I told myself we were playing with house money and I wouldn't be upset if we lost tonight, but after that first half?... yeah, not being disappointed was off the table., especially given the manner in which it happened.

- I would be remiss if I didn't start with mentioning the character and toughness of these guys. Mando going 15 and 15 with maybe half his normal elevation, Caleb playing on one leg for much of the second half and Brady fighting thru multiple head-shots. Love in particular missed at least 4 rim finishes he makes easily Saturday, and the jumper wasn't there at all.

- After coming out tentative, we weathered their initial storm, but it was HOW we did it that was key. We did it by locking in on the defense that has become our trademark --- they scored 11 in the first 4:24, and 14 for the entire rest of the half(!) --- and as importantly, we stormed back offensively by rediscovering Carolina basketball, i.e., inside-out, offensive rebounding and TRANSITION.

- Speaking of that, let's be clear: there is a very VERY inaccurate narrative out there about what has driven our late-season run, not to mention network stat guys that have zero clue about how our transition game works. Fact is, we went from down-6 to up-10 in a beautiful stretch that was drven by pushing the rock --- a stretch in which we scored 12 via fast or secondary break. I posted Saturday night that we'd best be ready to run tonight, and when we did?...good things happened. It was also part of a general pattern of aggression from inside-out ball that got them in foul trouble.

So what happened?...

- I told my buddy that every time I've watched KU get in trouble, you can guarantee they're gonna come out in the second half WAY more aggressive, and they're gonna hack the shit out of you and try to get their own transition game going. And sure enough, with a zebra crew that turned a sudden blind eye, off they went. But here's the thing --- we played right into their hands by reverting to our WORST habits, most glaringly TOO DAMN MUCH DRIBBLING by Guards going nowhere, and poor decision-making. Bottom line is, when we stopped running we stopped being aggressive, and again, played right into their hands by no longer punishing their perimter over-plays. Guys, we only had 9 Assists for the game.

- Again, being candid, I've said before that we've pulled rabbits out of the proverbial hat that have rescued us recently when we've reverted to our bad tendencies, but it caught up with us tonight. Walking the ball up and being one-sided is a dangerous approach. How many possessions can we afford to go in which the best shooter on the floor doesn't even touch the ball? We found out tonight. In other words, we outscored them by 15 in a half of mostly Carolina basketball, and they outscored us by 18 in a half with very little of it.

- Finally, before I wrap, I can't overstate the impact of Puff Johnson. Fact is, his hustle and big plays kept us in a game we were about to let get away. And our guys never stopped fighting and thus we found ourselves back in it in crunch-time. Like geez, Martin banking in an awful 3-pt look seemed fatal, but we fought back. And damn, I felt so bad for Brady stumbling trying to get to his spot on the last inbound play, leaving Caleb --- who had no lift left on a bad leg --- heaving a 3.

Anyway, all that's left is to be thankful for not only this exhilarating ride, but the restoration of our brand (something I'll go into more detail in a wrap-up "stuff" post sometime this week... that is, once I'm up to it ;). These guys have so much to be proud of --- I couldn't help thinking of the '77 team that injuries finally caught up with at the end --- and hopefully it'll serve to usher in the next era in the Dean Smith legacy. Congrats guys on some monumental accomplishments and for being credits to the family..... :cool:

Last edited:
Hated to see it. Bacot was a warrior but hurting bad. I think he would have had a MONSTER game if not for the ankle. Caleb toughed out an ankle and Brady took a couple of shots to the noggin.

I was worried at half too. KU missed some shots that looked easy. But we were still right there at the end. Pretty incredible run. I don't remember seeing anything quite like it as far as improvement in such a short time frame.

Just hate losing to a team that will be getting hit hard with sanctions soon. Doesn't seem right.

Thanks for the great season UNC Tar Heels.

I'll say, if anything, this is a great sign for UNC in the future. To be frank, UNC was outmanned tonight. KU simply had better players in a better state to win the game. Why did UNC compete? They played hard and played to their strengths. In the end, KU was simply too much. But why that's reason for optimism is playing to player strengths and playing hard are both coaching hallmarks. KU deserved the win as they were the better team, but UNC is exceptionally well positioned as Davis provided enough to believe he will keep them competing for championships in the future. UNC lost because they didn't have the guns, but they played and fought for a coach that will be with UNC for a long time. UNC fans should enjoy where they got, and be excited for where they will go.

Michael Jordan waiting for UNC inside the locker room
BA87-CF44-D141-4-DC1-ACA7-49-A99594841-E.jpg

Totally kidding! A season for the history books! Really proud of these players and happy for Hubert. Roy knew what he was doing. The future for UNC Basketball is a bright one.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
No loss is fun, and I too hate the term “A good loss”….

But I am still left with such a good feeling about this season, the accomplishments of team and staff, the growth and maturity of the players and the return of the UNC brand after a seemingly meandering couple of years.

it looks like they weren’t able to respond to the slap in the chops at the start of the second, but, like all season, they kept fighting, and that’s all we, as fans, could want.

...and I'll resist the cliche "tale of two halves" thing, because that doesn't get it ---- it was actually a tale of Carolina basketball vs the opposite of that.

Look, like many of you, I told myself we were playing with house money and I wouldn't be upset if we lost tonight, but after that first half?... yeah, not being disappointed was off the table., especially given the manner in which it happened.

- I would be remiss if I didn't start with mentioning the character and toughness of these guys. Mando going 15 and 15 with maybe half his normal elevation, Caleb playing on one leg for much of the second half and Brady fighting thru multiple head-shots. Love in particular missed at least 4 rim finishes he makes easily Saturday, and the jumper wasn't there at all.

- After coming out tentative, we weathered their initial storm, it was HOW we did it that was key. We did it by locking in on the defense that has become our trademark --- they scored 11 in the first 4:24, and 14 for the entire rest of the half(!) --- and as importantly, we stormed back offensively by rediscovering Carolina basketball, i.e., inside-out, offensive rebounding and TRANSITION.

- Speaking of that, let's be clear: there is a very VERY inaccurate narrative out there about what has driven our late-season run, not to mention network stat guys that have zero clue about how our transition game works. Fact is, we went from down-6 to up-10 in a beautiful stretch that was drven by pushing the rock --- a stretch in which we scored 12 via fast or secondary break. I posted Saturday night that we'd best be ready to run tonight, and when we did?...good things happened. It was also part of a general pattern of aggression from inside-out ball that got them in foul trouble.

So what happened?...

- I told my buddy that every time I've watched KU get in trouble, you can guarantee they're gonna come out in the second half WAY more aggressive, and they're gonna hack the shit out of you and try to get their own transition game going. And sure enough, with a zebra crew that turned a sudden blind eye, off they went. But here's the thing --- we played right into their hands by reverting to our WORST habits, most glaringly TOO DAMN MUCH DRIBBLING by Guards going nowhere, and poor decision-making. Bottom line is, when we stopped running we stopped being aggressive, and played right into their hands by no longer punishing their perimter over-plays. Guys, we only had 9 Assists for the game.

- Again, being candid, I've said before that we've pulled rabbits out of the proverbial hat that have rescued us recently when we've reverted to our bad tendencies, but it caught up with us tonight. Walking the ball up and being one-sided is a dangerous approach. How many possessions can we afford to go in which the best shooter on the floor doesn't even touch the ball? We found out tonight. In other words, we outscored them by 15 in a half of mostly Carolina basketball, and they outscored us by 18 in a half with very little of it.

- Finally, before I wrap, I can't overstate the impact of Puff Johnson. Fact is, his hustle and big plays kept us in a game we were about to let get away. And our guys never stopped fighting and thus we found ourselves back in it in crunch-time. Like geez, Martin banking in an awful 3-pt look seemed fatal, but we fought back. And damn, I felt so bad for Brady stumbling trying to get to his spot on the last inbound play, leaving Caleb --- who had no lift left on a bad leg --- heaving a 3.

Anyway, all that's left is to be thankful for not only this exhilerating ride, but the restoration of our brand (something I'll go into more detail in a wrap-up "stuff" post sometime this week... that is, once I'm up to it ;). These guys have so much to be proud of --- I couldn't help thinking of the '77 team that injuries finally caught up with at the end --- and hopefully it'll serve to usher in the next era in the Dean Smith legacy. Congrats guys on some monumental accomplishments and for being credits to the family..... :cool:
Well said Gary. It’s tough to swallow after a big halftime lead. Seeing that 33 make big shots after two elbows to Manek’s face was infuriating. I agree that they came out in the second half with defensive energy and up tempo, and we didn’t respond with what got us the lead in the first place. So proud of our players and our staff. The toughness and guts that they exhibited was inspiring. I wish that we had been 100 percent-but injuries are part of the game. It was a fun ride and I look forward to the future of this wonderful program! Thanks for putting the games into perspective. Go Tar Heels!

blaming the refs is a loser mentality but my issue with that game and college refs in general is they seem to ride the momentum of the game too much. kansas was always going to make a run, but while they were some of the calls were absolutely atrocious and you could tell were the refs riding the wave of kansas's run. manek getting called for a block when he seemed to be waiting in the line for eternity, bacot getting called for an AND1 while he was getting out of the way, and RJ getting hacked, and then jumped on while he has the ball on the floor and it gets called a tie up were some egregious ones that stuck out for me.

Reactions: RP12 and gary-7
Gary, thanks so much for your post game Quick Stuffs all season. I looked forward to reading
your analysis as a coach and fan of our program. Our team's championship trajectory this
month has been exhilarating for Tar Heel nation. Our exuberance over spoiling Ratface's coronation
gave way to reality. We only play six/seven guys; if one or two is hobbled, that is tough to
overcome. NO fan of our program will forget this season and after a few weeks the lingering hurt of this
loss will ease. Hubert certainly showed us his ability as coach; he's got our program back
on solid ground again.
To our players: You gave us everything you had last night and we are so proud of you for that.
Thank you.

I thought it was sort of simple. We got a pretty good UNC in the first half, and then the UNC that frustrated everyone until the last month, or so, in the second half. First off, thought it was obvious that they totally lost focus at halftime. And little things proved it. Caleb just getting the ball swiped as he casually dribbled into the front court. Leaky being unaware as he went to pass the ball in not realizing that Kansas was pressing hard and fell over the end line. I thunk they thought they would come out, bury a couple quick threes, stretch the lead to 20 and have a party to the finish line. They sort of forgot about Bacot for the first 10 minutes of the half. So while UNC went dead on the offensive end, Self made a great decision that changed the game. Everybody knows Caleb plays matador defense on his best day. Kansas pulled their center to the foul line and put #2 down low and fed him over and over as Caleb watched helplessly. That was the driving factor in getting it to a 6 pt game and then the Kansas crowd was going wild, UNC now mentally dealing with blowing a big lead, then Leaky gets his 4th foul. And with the bench so thin, I also thought it became evident in the 2nd half that UNC was gassed. Now they did find enough of a second wind to tie it back up when down six. To be honest, I was a bit surprised that Hubert didn't call timeout about two minutes into the second half and read the riot act, but he adopts the Dean/Roy style of letting them play through it and saving the timeouts. Was it frustrating to watch such a meltdown? Yes. But I have got to tell the truth. After Saturday, it didn't bother me nearly as bad as Villinova hitting that shot in 16. Saturday was better than any trophy for me personally.

Being K's last season (in theory) I said that I would be happy with the season as long as K doesn't win the championship. Well, it got so much better than just that. What a great run to the finals! It's disappointing that we didn't win it all ... but I have no complaints whatsoever. Go Heels !!!

Being K's last season (in theory) I said that I would be happy with the season as long as K doesn't win the championship. Well, it got so much better than just that. What a great run to the finals! It's disappointing that we didn't win it all ... but I have no complaints whatsoever. Go Heels !!!
Bingo! My sentiments exactly. To send Coach 401K out the way we did, priceless!

I thought it was sort of simple. We got a pretty good UNC in the first half, and then the UNC that frustrated everyone until the last month, or so, in the second half. First off, thought it was obvious that they totally lost focus at halftime. And little things proved it. Caleb just getting the ball swiped as he casually dribbled into the front court. Leaky being unaware as he went to pass the ball in not realizing that Kansas was pressing hard and fell over the end line. I thunk they thought they would come out, bury a couple quick threes, stretch the lead to 20 and have a party to the finish line. They sort of forgot about Bacot for the first 10 minutes of the half. So while UNC went dead on the offensive end, Self made a great decision that changed the game. Everybody knows Caleb plays matador defense on his best day. Kansas pulled their center to the foul line and put #2 down low and fed him over and over as Caleb watched helplessly. That was the driving factor in getting it to a 6 pt game and then the Kansas crowd was going wild, UNC now mentally dealing with blowing a big lead, then Leaky gets his 4th foul. And with the bench so thin, I also thought it became evident in the 2nd half that UNC was gassed. Now they did find enough of a second wind to tie it back up when down six. To be honest, I was a bit surprised that Hubert didn't call timeout about two minutes into the second half and read the riot act, but he adopts the Dean/Roy style of letting them play through it and saving the timeouts. Was it frustrating to watch such a meltdown? Yes. But I have got to tell the truth. After Saturday, it didn't bother me nearly as bad as Villinova hitting that shot in 16. Saturday was better than any trophy for me personally.
I think you’re spot on. We stopped playing Carolina basketball for much of the second half, and it did us in. Lackadaisical passes, poor shot selection, hero ball, not getting the fast break points we got in the first half, etc… This isn’t the first time Mr. Hyde reared his head this season, far from it. But he was seen much less in recent games and I was hoping he’d died.

But the thing that killed us was our atrocious shooting. When Bacot, Love, and Davis shoot a combined 13-54, we aren’t going to win. I give Bacot credit for playing like a warrior and toughing it out. If healthy, we win. But good grief, 13-54?

In the end, I’m very proud of the players and the staff for giving us a magical ride. The growth I saw in Hubert and the players was impressive, and bodes well for the future. Preseason, I said a S16 berth would make me happy. They gave us more, so much more.

I think our defense wasn't as good as the score indicated a halftime. Kansas missed like 8 make-able layups in the first half. Despite the score, I thought Kansas got fairly good shots despite not running good offense. It's why I was pretty nervous despite the margin.

It seems to happen when big time programs face a big halftime deficit, they throw the first punch in the second half. And while I expect it to happen, I wish teams that are in the lead would have a better counter to that. We just ran our offense while KU was increasing the pressure. I'm no coach, but I'm guessing you can backdoor, do some slip screens to counter the additional pressure.

RJ/Love/Bacot went 13/54 FG and 1/13 from 3, yet I think we win if we got the defensive rebound on McCormack's put-back that gave KU the lead for good. Hell of an effort. That kind of offensive inefficiency by RJ/Love/Bacot would've resulted in a 40 point loss earlier this season to a team like Kansas.

I think our defense wasn't as good as the score indicated a halftime. Kansas missed like 8 make-able layups in the first half. Despite the score, I thought Kansas got fairly good shots despite not running good offense. It's why I was pretty nervous despite the margin.

It seems to happen when big time programs face a big halftime deficit, they throw the first punch in the second half. And while I expect it to happen, I wish teams that are in the lead would have a better counter to that. We just ran our offense while KU was increasing the pressure. I'm no coach, but I'm guessing you can backdoor, do some slip screens to counter the additional pressure.

RJ/Love/Bacot went 13/54 FG and 1/13 from 3, yet I think we win if we got the defensive rebound on McCormack's put-back that gave KU the lead for good. Hell of an effort. That kind of offensive inefficiency by RJ/Love/Bacot would've resulted in a 40 point loss earlier this season to a team like Kansas.
Can’t argue with much of that. I really wish Hubert would have called a quick TO when they cut our lead to 10 right after the half. Run a couple of set plays for someone. That spurt by them to start the second half won the game for them. We play even ball with them for the first 8 minutes of the second half and we’re likely cutting down the nets.

Can’t argue with much of that. I really wish Hubert would have called a quick TO when they cut our lead to 10 right after the half. Run a couple of set plays for someone. That spurt by them to start the second half won the game for them. We play even ball with them for the first 8 minutes of the second half and we’re likely cutting down the nets.
Yea, seems like that's a Carolina/Roy tradition that will live on, lol.

I would've called TO before Caleb took the hero 3 for the tie with like 15 seconds left. Mainly because the entire planet knew Caleb was going to try for the hero 3. It wasn't a great shot and I think we could've gotten something better. At the same time, we didn't do much against KU's set defense all game. Most of our damage came off second chance points and the free throw line. So six on one, half a dozen on the other. Maybe you need to be ok with riding the Caleb Love experience through the end. It got you that far, maybe lightning strikes for the Nth time.

The other counter is Bill Self called two timeouts in the first half and it didn't do a whole lot to the scoreboard.

One thing I hope improves... It seems to be like the opposition scored on EVERY out of timeout set against our defense, lol. Maybe go zone on those special situations. There are so many timeouts/media timeouts in college basketball. I think that's an area we need to get better.

blaming the refs is a loser mentality but my issue with that game and college refs in general is they seem to ride the momentum of the game too much. kansas was always going to make a run, but while they were some of the calls were absolutely atrocious and you could tell were the refs riding the wave of kansas's run. manek getting called for a block when he seemed to be waiting in the line for eternity, bacot getting called for an AND1 while he was getting out of the way, and RJ getting hacked, and then jumped on while he has the ball on the floor and it gets called a tie up were some egregious ones that stuck out for me.
"Riding the wave" is actually a very good way of putting it, and human nature being as it is, it does indeed happen. There is a tendency to reward the aggressor, and the worst thing we could've done was to lose our own offensive aggression that had garnered some calls in he first half.

Yeah, Sjung is right - we were really fortunate to have been up 15 at halftime. They missed some bunnies and some FTs, that we would have figured they'd make. We played batter than them in the first half but not 15 points better. maybe only 6-8 points better.

The story of the game is 10/41 from RJ and Love. That's not good enough in the title game. And Caleb's heroics couldn't save us this time.

Was a hell of a ride and if these guys are pissed about it and decide to come back, we could very well find ourselves back in this game next April. Go Heels.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO THE PLAYERS AND THAT COACHING STAFF FOR A THRILLING SEASON THAT WILL BE TALKED ABOUT FOR THE NEXT 20YEARS!

😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😍

While I sure as heck wanted them to pull this out, I knew Kansas was going to make their second half run and for many that is the story line of this game. But for kansas to have to make such a huge run just to tie the game tells you how hard this team fought. We lost by 3 to the number 1 team in the country, no shame in that. It took Bacot coming in to this game with a sprained ankle and his re-injuring it to the extent he couldn't walk. It took our closer, Caleb, spraining his ankle taking away his ability to to push off that wheel, really effected what we have watched that kid do all season. It took 2 serious head shots to Brady, Puff being hammered so hard that he doubled up on the court throwing up. Yet with all that against them this team still found a way to have the ball at the end and a shot at a tie game and it just didn't fall. No shame in that what so ever, nothing today but proud of those kids and their coaches!

This team was not even supposed to be in that game last night, they were written off at several different points thru this season, treated as an after thought, disparaged. But those kids showed we fans the heart of champions, I respect that, I respect what they did achieve this season, that for me is how this season is defined, those kids are winners and I will always see them as winners.

Kansas, ah the single story line I have read so many times today is about the amazing Kansas come back from being down 15 at the half. Well that did happen, what also happened is that this beat up UNC team took what Kansas thru at them in that first half and went in to the half with that 15pt lead. And even when Kansas did get the game back to a tie, it looked like Knasas was about to blow us out and one more time this team stood up and fought. Down by 1, about 50sec left in the game and the already hobbled Bacot tries to drive and of all things a loose floor board caused him to re=sprain that ankle, like this team needed any more crazy obstacles to over come. Hobbled as he was Bacot still scored 15 and pulled down 15 boards having to deal with McCormick and Lightfoot all game, don't tell me that kid is not a champion. Brady Manek nearly knocked out, he was hit MUCH harder than that guy was for Baylor when they tossed Brady, he still steps up moments later and nails 2 treys, don't tell me that kid is not a champion, all these kids are champions in my book. NO, they are not the 2023 NCAAT winners but in my book, every one of them are champions!

The only really bad call I saw was that Harris fouled RJ Davis by hitting his dribbling arm from behind when RJ lost the ball on the side for a turnover once. Other than that, I can't say I had too many complaints with the refs. Arguably a goaltending call here and there was missed though. Manek I think was in the restricted area when he would have drawn a charge otherwise.

We really had to have a lot go wrong to lose last night and it happens.

I pointed out on the main board that if the 3s are falling from our big 3, we are unbeatable, but we agreed earlier in the season if they weren't that we could get blown out by 20 to midmajors.

However, we have progressed so much on defense that this no longer was the case. The biggest improvement this season was not on offensive end but defensive. Regularly the perimeter players were getting blown by into the lane causing Leaky and others have to help which causes defensive breakdowns across the board. You cannot overstate the growth of Davis and Love on the defensive end at staying in front of their player and stopping the penetration or only allowing it into the baseline purposely.

This changed our team from one with defensive breakdowns to stout and allowed Leaky to stay more on his defender to shut him down and limited our fouls and open 3 pointers against us.

This is why a bad shooting night didn't turn into a blowout and we still were in it with a chance to win at the end.

Amazing growth. Now we wait to see who leaves. Would love to see them all say they are coming back minus Manek (who i think is irreplaceable and concerns me) for a championship. But, unfortunately I don't think that is going to happen.

As usual, very nicely summarized Gary.

Believe me, I know the emotions of most are at low tide currently and that's certainly understandable given the results of the game. Man....., what would you have given for Bacot, Manek, Caleb & Puff at 100% for the entirety of this game? It would have had a completely different conclusion. That's the what ifs and any of us can play that game.

Let's give that Kansas team it's due, they also played their asses off to get back into the game and come out the winner, so..., a tip of the hat to our cousins. However, the scum of a coach Bill Self can go to hell, the cheating bastard, who, I hope gets what is coming to him and his cronies very soon.

It's extremely difficult to win a NC, just ask all of the other top 20 or so teams who did not make the final game. One thing though is crystal clear...., we have the right man in charge of this program. Let it be known to all, that Hubert was not my personal choice, as I wanted Wes Miller to get the job. However, I was determined to support 100% whomever did get the position and it turned out to be Hubert Davis. I was DEAD wrong on my personal choice and freely admit, and own it, and am damn glad I was wrong in my personal preference.

While some saw the talent within this team, I dare say that no one foresaw what this team would become in the last month and a half. I cannot recall, even with DES or Roy Williams, a team that had such a metamorphosis during a season as did this year's team. It was a beautiful thing to watch don't you think?

I had the good fortune to speak with several of the Kansas players parents, media, and NCAA officials, who had extremely high praise for this team and for Hubert and his staff, and mind you, this was at the half and not after the game. They have damn well earned it.

Now we wait to see who leaves and who returns. In the discussions I have had with some higher up the information ladder than myself, we could lose up to 4. Leaky is probably 70/30 on playing another year. Don't look for Garcia to return, perhaps both he and Walton will wind up at Minnesota, although it's just a rumbling, don't know at all for sure. I suspect we will lose both Bacot and Love, although the powers that be are going to look real hard at the NIL money that can be had next year, so these 2 are not written in stone I would think. Ant Harris has some academic work to do or he will be gone to another program and that situation will have to be rectified soon if Hubert wants to pursue more transfers.

The GG Jackson sweepstakes may conclude as early as tomorrow or at least by the week's end I have been advised. So, take that with a grain of salt, as I am not close to this one. Also, I might mention: the basketball office has been deluged with parents, high school & AAU coaches, and players at other schools inquiring about any scholarship openings we might have. Hubert and the staff have told all, that no movements will be made until all on the current roster have either left the program or are returning, so that they will know how many vacancies will be available. We will have a need to fill a hole or 2, so, here's to hoping we have the room to get some help. I personally do not believe there will ever be another Brady Manek. Man....what a blessing it was to have him here this season, and He will always be a Tar Heel to me and not a Sooner. Would have loved having him here 5years.

There's the old saying...." There's no rest for the wicked and the righteous don't need it", so, what I'm saying, is that recruiting starts this week guys and Hubert and staff will be busy on the recruiting trail

Last edited:

Believe me, I know the emotions of most are at low tide currently and that's certainly understandable given the results of the game. Man....., what would you have given for Bacot, Manek, Caleb & Puff at 100% for the entirety of this game? It would have had a completely different conclusion. That's the what ifs and any of us can play that game.

Let's give that Kansas team it's due, they also played their asses off to get back into the game and come out the winner, so..., a tip of the hat to our cousins. However, the scum of a coach Bill Self can go to hell, the cheating bastard, who, I hope gets what is coming to him and his cronies very soon.

It's extremely difficult to win a NC, just ask all of the other top 20 or so teams who did not make the final game. One thing though is crystal clear...., we have the right man in charge of this program. Let it be known to all, that Hubert was not my personal choice, as I wanted Wes Miller to get the job. However, I was determined to support 100% whomever did get the position and it turned out to be Hubert Davis. I was DEAD wrong on my personal choice and freely admit, and own it, and am damn glad I was wrong in my personal preference.

While some saw the talent within this team, I dare say that no one foresaw what this team would become in the last month and a half. I cannot recall, even with DES or Roy Williams, a team that had such a metamorphosis during a season as did this year's team. It was a beautiful thing to watch don't you think?

I had the good fortune to speak with several of the Kansas players parents, media, and NCAA officials, who had extremely high praise for this team and for Hubert and his staff, and mind you, this was at the half and not after the game. They have damn well earned it.

Now we wait to see who leaves and who returns. In the discussions I have had with some higher up the information ladder than myself, we could lose up to 4. Leaky is probably 70/30 on playing another year. Don't look for Garcia to return, perhaps both he and Walton will wind up at Minnesota, although it's just a rumbling, don't know at all for sure. I suspect we will lose both Bacot and Love, although the powers that be are going to look real hard at the NIL money that can be had next year, so these 2 are not written in stone I would think. Ant Harris has some academic work to do or he will be gone to another program and that situation will have to be rectified soon if Hubert wants to pursue more transfers.

The GG Jackson sweepstakes may conclude as early as tomorrow or at least by the week's end I have been advised. So, take that with a grain of salt, as I am not close to this one. Also, I might mention: the basketball office has been deluged with parents, high school & AAU coaches, and players at other schools inquiring about any scholarship openings we might have. Hubert and the staff have told all, that no movements will be made until all on the current roster have either left the program or are returning, so that they will know how many vacancies will be available. We will have a need to fill a hole or 2, so, here's to hoping we have the room to get some help. I personally do not believe there will ever be another Brady Manek. Man....what blessing it was to have him here this season, and He will always be a Tar Heel to me and not a Sooner. Would have loved having him here 5years.

There's the old saying...." There's no rest for the wicked and the righteous don't need it", so, what I'm saying, is that recruiting starts this week guys and Hubert and staff will be busy on the recruiting trail
Thanks 75 for all your contributions this year…. And for all the updates from as close as you are to the program.

Thanks 75 for all your contributions this year…. And for all the updates from as close as you are to the program.
You are of course, welcome. There are more than a few posters in our community who have some great insight(s), while I don't claim to be one of those, I have been around for a good while and have stayed at a Holiday Inn a time or two.

Last edited:
I'll say, if anything, this is a great sign for UNC in the future. To be frank, UNC was outmanned tonight. KU simply had better players in a better state to win the game. Why did UNC compete? They played hard and played to their strengths. In the end, KU was simply too much. But why that's reason for optimism is playing to player strengths and playing hard are both coaching hallmarks. KU deserved the win as they were the better team, but UNC is exceptionally well positioned as Davis provided enough to believe he will keep them competing for championships in the future. UNC lost because they didn't have the guns, but they played and fought for a coach that will be with UNC for a long time. UNC fans should enjoy where they got, and be excited for where they will go.
This! We also had 4 games (Baylor, UCLA, dook, KU) that came down to 1-2 shots. Essentially winning all four is like four coin tosses, or 1/16 chances. I'm pretty thankful we hit the first three deep Love threes to win it, even if the fourth won missed (I don't think Love actually made a deep 3 against Baylor late but you get the picture). We got an incredible run out of it and tons of momentum for next year.

The GG Jackson sweepstakes may conclude as early as tomorrow or at least by the week's end I have been advised. So, take that with a grain of salt, as I am not close to this one. Also, I might mention: the basketball office has been deluged with parents, high school & AAU coaches, and players at other schools inquiring about any scholarship openings we might have. Hubert and the staff have told all, that no movements will be made until all on the current roster have either left the program or are returning, so that they will know how many vacancies will be available. We will have a need to fill a hole or 2, so, here's to hoping we have the room to get some help. I personally do not believe there will ever be another Brady Manek. Man....what a blessing it was to have him here this season, and He will always be a Tar Heel to me and not a Sooner. Would have loved having him here 5years.

Bacot is currently projected to go either late 2nd round or undrafted. What have you heard that leads you to believe he would prefer to spend next year in the G-League instead of UNC? I was under the impression he was an honor roll student who had been accepted into the business school, and that his NIL opportunities were more lucrative than the money he would make in the G-League next year. Are you hearing he's just done with school regardless of what his draft stock is?

Reactions: gauchoheel
Thanks to G-7, 75, and D for the thorough and complete breakdowns of our games this season. I know it took quite some time and the efforts were very much appreciated!

This is a special team and the growth they showed all season is unbelievable! They have heart, skill, togetherness, and have become the perfect embodiment of the Carolina Way! That magical and unprecedented run to the Champ Game will go down in Tar Heel Lore and I will always look up at that FF banner and smile! Hubs is the perfect choice for UNC and I would not take any coach now working over him!

Tar Heels are in great hands and the future is very bright!

It is Good to be the King again!

Barkley and Kenny called this one at the half. Barkley pointed out that KU was trying to play us like they played Nova - pushing the ball inside to McCormack over and over and he got dominated. They adjusted in the 2nd and we didn't. Kenny said if we protect the ball, we win...and we had turnover after turnover after turnover. Add Bacot being totally gassed, Manek rarely seeing the ball in a position to shoot, and Love and RJ being solidly ❄️frozen...it came down to Puff playing his heart out to keep us in the game. Get a rebound at the right time, have a floor that doesn't buckle...it came down to a few inches.

Bacot is currently projected to go either late 2nd round or undrafted. What have you heard that leads you to believe he would prefer to spend next year in the G-League instead of UNC? I was under the impression he was an honor roll student who had been accepted into the business school, and that his NIL opportunities were more lucrative than the money he would make in the G-League next year. Are you hearing he's just done with school regardless of what his draft stock is?
No one but Armando knows what he will ultimately decide regarding his playing future. One would have to realize that although he is bummed up currently and could not possibly go through the NBA workouts at this time, there is the last 6 games of the NCAAT there for the review by scouts. And yes, if the right sponsor were to take on Armando, he could realize a great deal more money in an NIL deal coupled with what he already has secured this season than what he would earn in the G-League I am told. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

This very scenario could also apply to Caleb Love as well. It just depends on several factors.

This season was an absolute roller coaster, and so were a few games. Hubert did a fantastic job of getting them to play their best basketball when it mattered the most. Holding a lead against a good is hard, holding it when other factors are causing some adversity makes it even more difficult. A whole lot of positive things to build on but also some areas that really need to be addressed moving forward.

It is rare to see UNC in the FF as Cinderella. Hard to believe 6 weeks ago they were on the outside and called soft by Capel after getting humiliated by Pitt. While the peaks and valleys were interesting I hope to see UNC back to being a mainstay in the top 10.

How can anyone watch this season and that game and still say Hubs didn't make adjustments????? How do you adjust to 3 starters being injured; 2 mainstays not being available; foul issues; a key reserve getting knocked out; Peeps trying to hit shots with bad ankles and blurry vision; and facing the best team in the nation who is making ridiculous shots against good D? Once we figure out how to adjust to this, UNC will never lose another game! Have at it!

Reactions: FlaTarHeel

This the most hurtful part other than the final score, seeing that dirt bag winning a title.
The NCAA truly is a joke by allowing guys like that to be the face of the college game.

I am really bummed and pissed right now

I thought there were two plays that would come back to haunt us, the banked 3 and the bad goal tend call. I think the ref thought there was no way Manek could of got that on the way up. The refs seemed to call an even game except the Kansas spurt. LIke some one mentioned above the refs seemed to get caught up in Kansas’ comeback. Someone please tell me how Harris has 0 fouls with that “sticky” D he played all night. I’ve never seen a player swipe down so much and never get called.

First half when Kansas made their run UNC looked calm and stuck to their game plan. I felt we would be fine and we were. Second half they didn’t look calm and went back to our old dribble the ball too much. But if someone told before the game the guards would shoot 10-41 and Bacot doesn’t make a shot in the second (pretty sure he didn’t), leaky didn’t play much due to foul trouble, I would tell you we probably loose by 20. Even with the bad offensive night, if Bacot is healthy we win that game. I didn’t think we had a chance before the game due to the Bacot injury. But once we got up 15 I thought we had this. Didn’t know we would go away from Manek though.

Oh well great season. Bacot is awesome especially after hearing he couldn’t jump 30min before the game. After a couple minutes of playing he just seemed like he said F it let’s go and just went after it. When UNC makes the tourney there have only been two times I thought we had no chance to win it all. Last year and this year. Don’t know what Hubert did but like Roy said he didn’t feel like he was the man for the job anymore. I think he knew HD could handle these kids better…. And HD did! Unless recruits only follow $$$, if you watched this tournament how could you not want to play for HD. Even dumbass Dan Dakich praised how much he liked HD and his staff how they made everything about the players and not about them.

• Love
Reactions: gary-7 and TPFKAPFS
There was a clear foul on Harris they missed that led to a turnover for us. He swings behind Davis and hits his dribbling arm from behind, causing Davis to lose the ball near the sideline on the offensive end that they ended up recovering.

Wasn't terribly called but missed calls were made.

"Riding the wave" is actually a very good way of putting it, and human nature being as it is, it does indeed happen. There is a tendency to reward the aggressor, and the worst thing we could've done was to lose our own offensive aggression that had garnered some calls in he first half.
Gary I have heard that if Leaky Black returns for a fifth season his scholarship would not count against the 13 scholarship limit, is this correct

Gary I have heard that if Leaky Black returns for a fifth season his scholarship would not count against the 13 scholarship limit, is this correct
No, that's incorrect, his scholarship if he returns, will count against the 13 limit

Reactions: gary-7
No, that's incorrect, his scholarship if he returns, will count against the 13 limit
I've read multiple articles that state if a 4 year senior comes back for his 5th year due to the extra year from covid, it does not count against the schools scholarship limit (if they come back to the same school). It does count to the school if a player transfers in for their covid year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT