ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Louisville game)...

Houston's net rating is +30.6
Tennessee's net rating is +28.1
UCLA's net rating is +27.5
Alabama's net rating is +26.9
Purdue's net rating is +25.8

That is a huge difference in the quality of the teams. That doesn't mean we can't beat the best teams. We almost beat Alabama. But in totality, we're not close. And the difference probably isn't playing "Carolina basketball" a little bit more.
Nobody said it was a "reality" yet, but that it is possible for it to happen.
As for that net junk? Talk about a whole lotta nothing...

I don't understand how it's a reality that this team has shown it can be the best team in the country. To me, it's a very broad statement to say we can be as good as anyone if we continue to get better. That's the reality for like 30 teams in the country.

I also think things like "playing Carolina basketball" is playing the results. Weird that when we win or play well, it's mainly because we play "Carolina basketball" and when we don't play well it's because we don't play "Carolina basketball."

Everything based on reality indicates that this team is a mile away from the top teams in the country.

Our net rating is +18.2

Houston's net rating is +30.6
Tennessee's net rating is +28.1
UCLA's net rating is +27.5
Alabama's net rating is +26.9
Purdue's net rating is +25.8

That is a huge difference in the quality of the teams. That doesn't mean we can't beat the best teams. We almost beat Alabama. But in totality, we're not close. And the difference probably isn't playing "Carolina basketball" a little bit more.
LOL, well OK then...LOL

That fine, quote all the season stats you want, but as i found on stock projections current earnings do not prove future success. Meaning, what has happened happened, we al realize that so far this season UNC has under achieved projections, means how we are playing so far is way below our real ceiling and the ceiling now is HIGHER than it was last season.

No, this team has not peaked, it hasn't even come close to that. I think we are a couple injuries healing and a player that is typically a really good open shot maker hitting makeable shots, now from the beginning of a slow peak, now that our bench has stepped up.

On a diff note, did anyone take in the facial expressions and body language of Caleb’s parents? Wow, they are just as unhappy and ready for something to give way with his game. Hard to watch your kids struggle.

Fair enough. It could go either way, but the potential IS at least there... we'll just have to wait and see what actually happens
I agree but I also don't ever get to high after a win to a 2-15 team regardless of how we look!

I agree but I also don't ever get to high after a win to a 2-15 team regardless of how we look!
Yeah, so exactly who is getting "high" here?...
Last time I looked the only thing I and some others are doing is analyzing a team that is a work-in-progress --- one, however, that fortunately happens to have the personnel to reach a very high ceiling.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
You can disagree with it. I don't know how it means nothing though.
GMAB.

It's not about "disagreeing". All that stuff just represents a pecking order if they were seeding teams now from the season SO FAR.

It means ZERO as to how the rest of the season will unfold... well, that is unless you WANT it to, which I'm starting believe you do.

"Carolina Basketball" is not even a real thing. It's some tribal BS that's about as real as saying "The American Way." Playing as a team isn't exclusive to any specific team, it refers to ALL teams... when they play AS a team.
You and I are about to get called fake fans, but I agree!
Every team says “we want to play (insert our team name) basketball”. It typically covers what?
- We want to play up tempo (because no coach would promote playing slow, unless maybe Tony Bennett)
- We want to play physically
- We want to play smart
- We want to play disciplined
- We want to rebound
- We want to play tenacious defense
- We want to play unselfishly
- We want to play together

I’m probably missing a few. But if that’s the definition of Carolina Basketball, I hope we play Carolina Basketball.

On an aside I do think pointing to the assister is a cool tradition.

GMAB.

It's not about "disagreeing". All that stuff just represents a pecking order if they were seeding teams now from the season SO FAR.

It means ZERO as to how the rest of the season will unfold... well, that is unless you WANT it to, which I'm starting believe you do.
Yes, I agree you can’t predict the future.

But I do think it’s a good indicator on what you are at the moment. And IMO that’s a better indicator on you’re going to do in the future rather than everyone’s individual opinions based on their perception of their reality.

Reactions: strummingram
Every team says “we want to play (insert our team name) basketball”. It typically covers what?
- We want to play up tempo (because no coach would promote playing slow, unless maybe Tony Bennett)
- We want to play smart
- We want to rebound

I’m probably missing a few. But if that’s the definition of Carolina Basketball, I hope we play Carolina Basketball.

I agree, but as I said before I can't help but give pause from thinking we are on the road to recovery ofter beating a 2-15 team!

I actually gathered more justification of us improving from the way we competed against Virginia without Bacot on the road in a loss!

I feel this is a capable team, but by no means a better then everyone else by double digits if both teams play their "A" game roster, as was thrown out there.

We can go with anyone, and in a 1 and done tourney setting that is what it's about. A team like Kansas who has every role established has much more room for error, they are impressive to me, but no juggernaut.

Houston and Bama are more talented and a handful as well for anyone to matchup with. UCLA can be very very good, but so was Zona until lately, they have hit a rough patch, we will see how they adjust. Purdue is good, but I'm not buying into them as much. Small margin for error how they play.

We can go with any of them in a one and done, the NCAA tournament is not about the best team winning, in a best of 5 or 7 series you get that.

If we stay healthy going into the tournament we are a tough matchup and also a very "gettable" opponent for just about all tournament level teams . I personally think we will be a handful come tourney time.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Yes, I agree you can’t predict the future.

But I do think it’s a good indicator on what you are at the moment. And IMO that’s a better indicator on you’re going to do in the future rather than everyone’s individual opinions based on their perception of their reality.
How'd that work out last season?

- We want to play smart
- We want to rebound

Welp, that may have taken false equivalencies to a new level. Of course there are generic things all programs/coaches want to do, but I still find it puzzling how some here haven't yet grasped the archetype that Carolina basketball was and is.

This is the exact point that everyone who disagrees with you is making too. We can beat basically anyone on a given day. I'm just saying there's no indication we'll be anywhere near the best team in the country unless every team better than us is going to get worse and injured. That doesn't mean we can't win games in March.

UNC got really hot at just the right time and the ball bounced in their favor a LOT. People fail to realize how spontaneous this sport can be, as well as how calculated. This idea that if you follow some unique formula... "The Carolina Way... then fortune favors your outcome. It doesn't. There are so many little factors that come into play. I will say that there is an element that is required to repeat those kinds of performances. And, UNC's basketball program manages to do that somewhat frequently.

But, there are quite a few basketball programs that manage the same thing. If you compare them all, I'd say Kansas has been just as successful overall, and more consistently, over the last 15-20 years. They don't always win the final game, or maybe even make it to the final game in the tournament, but they're absolutely in the running every, single, year. They rarely, if ever, have a down season.

This is the exact point that everyone who disagrees with you is making too. We can beat basically anyone on a given day. I'm just saying there's no indication we'll be anywhere near the best team in the country unless every team better than us is going to get worse and injured. That doesn't mean we can't win games in March.
No, it is not. Literally none of the usual doubters on here gave us any chance of doing anything this time last season, but once Brady found hs niche and the staff schemed around the lack of a PG, our starting five at least proved to be WAY better than any of y'all would ever have acknowledged.

THIS season, the team has more real potential, due to the obvious factors of experience and way more depth. The key is utilizing all that properly. The staff had a self-inflicted setback with the unfortunate offensive experiment, and fact is, our underachievement in "Net" and such thus far can be laid almost directly on that strategic faux pas.

Now we're recovering and moving past that, and those of us who do actual analysis here (as opposed to being stuck in preheld narratives) are simply pointing out progress when it happens, as well as where we can POTENTIALLY be, IF we continue that progress --- nothing more, nothing less.

Well... potential rarely gets a lot of banners or allows you to compete after you lose.

Wow, this thread has rally jumped off in to crazy land!

We have a poster that says Carolina Basketball does not exist, II guess the Earth is flat to? LOL

Have a poster telling us that teams do not win nattys that had potential? I didn't realize a team EVER won a natty that didn't have the potential to win it, they just realized more of their potential than other teams.

They are going to call me a bad fan if I say this? Ah geez, are they gonna be calling you bad names? LOL Guys, I think most of you are over the age of consent, while some clearly struggle to act as if they are grown ups. It has been my experience that fandom is rarely questioned unless someone is suspected of trolling, that in fact they are fans of a rival program just looking to upset UNC fans.

I will tell you right now, I could not hide my UNC fandom even if I tried simply because I prefer not to try to swim in a sewer. But we have had trolls come here and some have hidden the fact of what they are pretty well, but they always slip up and expose themselves. Strum, shelby, I don't question your being a UNC fan at all, I do think we come from very different generations. My generation, we respect things that are bigger than we are, we said a prayer and the Pledge before classes started in school, belief was/is important to us. WE carry that belief to our favored sports teams, we gravitated to teams that we felt reflected our own values, our values are the essence of the Carolina Way. It isn't some made up phony copy cat of some other program that those others feel the need to advertise all over the place, it is ours, it is special to us and it simply does not change over time. Unfortunately, my generation did a piss poor job of teaching the value of faith and belief, shameful but true...

I think it is sad that these younger folks don't understand that some things are more important than just your self, that some things, like a statue or a banner with stars and stripes on it is sacred to some, that deserves at least a degree of respect from all. You see things like statues and banners are symbols of pride, of honoring the that came before you, of remembering and honoring. To quick are we now days to afix a negative label to statues and banners and with zero care for what anyone else thinks, you can't sleep until it is destroyed, really sad...

Well... potential rarely gets a lot of banners or allows you to compete after you lose.
Honestly, that is just silly, given that literally EVERY team to win championships started out at some point with POTENTIAL. That's what we're talking about here, after all. Let it go.

Last edited:
Wow, this thread has rally jumped off in to crazy land! We have a poster that says Carolina Basketball does not exist, II guess the Earth is flat to? LOL
Have a poster telling us that teams do not win nattys that had potential? I didn't realize a team EVER won a natty that didn't have the potential to win it, they just realized more of their potential than other teams.
^^^

"Carolina Basketball" is not even a real thing. It's some tribal BS that's about as real as saying "The American Way." Playing as a team isn't exclusive to any specific team, it refers to ALL teams... when they play AS a team.

This is just a really bad take. It’s hard to believe you’re a Tar Heel fan & are able to say “Carolina Basketball” is not a real thing.

Reactions: gary-7
This is just a really bad take. It’s hard to believe you’re a Tar Heel fan & are able to say “Carolina Basketball” is not a real thing.
"Hard to believe" is what I specialize in, a lot of the time.

Every team, when they're playing at their best, are always going to say "Now we're playing ____________ basketball." And, fill in the blank with whatever team they are.

I give credit to Dean Smith for starting the "pointing to your passer" or assist man.

I always pull for UNC, no matter what. But, I'm not so tribal that I believe there's some special voodoo magic that is unique and is exclusively "Carolina" basketball. When Carolina is playing basketball... at any time... THAT is Carolina Basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: gteeitup
Honestly, that is just silly, gven that literally EVERY team to win championships started out at some point with POTENTIAL. That's what we're talking about here, after all. Let it go.
Yeah... and, then they took it BEYOND just potential. Me let it go??? Look in the mirror.

"... and, this was about gary's inability to let it go..."

^^^^
You were a pretty good poster around here, now you are just trolling, what the heck happened?

^^^^
You were a pretty good poster around here, now you are just trolling, what the heck happened?
Dude... do you think I need your approval? I don't even want it. I was "pretty good" as long as I said what you wanted to hear, or you agreed with me? Sorry! Life throws balls and strikes. Sometimes people agree, sometimes they don't. Me being a "good poster" has not one little thing to do with how you judge what I choose to say/share.

There's no measuring device for a person's level of being a faithful fan. I have a tattoo of the Strutting Ram on my arm. That's at least a measure of my resolve and committment to the school and institution. That's there for life!

^^^^
Yeah, I put him on ignore for the first time yesterday, and I have not even had any real dialogue with him. I just got tired of reading his shit.

No, it is not. Literally none of the usual doubters on here gave us any chance of doing anything this time last season, but once Brady found hs niche and the staff schemed around the lack of a PG, our starting five at least proved to be WAY better than any of y'all would ever have acknowledged.

THIS season, the team has more real potential, due to the obvious factors of experience and way more depth. The key is utilizing all that properly. The staff had a self-inflicted setback with the unfortunate offensive experiment, and fact is, our underachievement in "Net" and such thus far can be laid almost directly on that strategic faux pas.

Now we're recovering and moving past that, and those of us who do actual analysis here (as opposed to being stuck in preheld narratives) are simply pointing out progress when it happens, as well as where we can POTENTIALLY be, IF we continue that progress --- nothing more, nothing less.
I can't speak about anyone else. I don't really remember. I remember I consistently said last year that if Caleb was great in March, we could beat basically everybody. I'm guessing you're looping me into the usual doubters, but I was on "the right side" if you want to call that. But not important...

I actually think it's interesting to debate... Would you rather have just Brady Manek or Nance and Washington on this year's team? I'm pretty sure I'd rather have Manek.

And I'm confused about what is a "pre-held narrative" vs "actual analysis." Earlier in the season when RJ wasn't shooting the ball, I said he's more likely to shoot well the rest of the season than Caleb is because RJ's been a much more consistent shooter in his career. Is that a "pre-held narrative" because I'm taking his previous statistics and predicting how he'll perform based on them? Or is that "actual analysis" because I said something positive about RJ?

I don't think many people disagree with you that if this team plays their A game and maybe catches a couple of breaks, they can beat basically anyone. What I disagree with is that objective measurements of this team are worth nothing vs your actual analysis.

I can't speak about anyone else. I don't really remember. I remember I consistently said last year that if Caleb was great in March, we could beat basically everybody. I'm guessing you're looping me into the usual doubters, but I was on "the right side" if you want to call that. But not important...

I actually think it's interesting to debate... Would you rather have just Brady Manek or Nance and Washington on this year's team? I'm pretty sure I'd rather have Manek.

And I'm confused about what is a "pre-held narrative" vs "actual analysis." Earlier in the season when RJ wasn't shooting the ball, I said he's more likely to shoot well the rest of the season than Caleb is because RJ's been a much more consistent shooter in his career. Is that a "pre-held narrative" because I'm taking his previous statistics and predicting how he'll perform based on them? Or is that "actual analysis" because I said something positive about RJ?

I don't think many people disagree with you that if this team plays their A game and maybe catches a couple of breaks, they can beat basically anyone. What I disagree with is that objective measurements of this team are worth nothing vs your actual analysis.
Again... It's really quite simple, and I've already laid it out ad nauseum as to why those "objective measurements" of the past have little to do with the team as it stands today. Alas, that continues to escape those with the pre-held narrative thing. In a nutshell, we have functionally been in a whole new season since the holidays, (fortunately) playing with a whole different systemic approach than the nonsense we started with.

Yeah, I put him on ignore for the first time yesterday, and I have not even had any real dialogue with him. I just got tired of reading his shit.
Imagine a world where you are so sheltered you have to hit an ignore button on a message board because you can take time simply not read what a poster might write much less engage in a conversation to debate topics. Isn't that the point of a message board?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT