ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Memphis exhibition)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and Hoo Boy, did we need that!

Folks, this was EXACTLY the sort of team we needed to go up against --- experienced, athletic and physical to the edge of dirty --- and it exposed pretty much everything we need to tighten up.

So... let's start with those cringe-worthy things:
- REBOUNDING!!! We know it needs to be a TEAM effort and we need to BLOCK OUT and SNATCH the rock like we mean it and hold onto it thru grabbing hands.

- In general, tonight showed we need to be STRONG with the ball. We ain't always gonna get the calls.

- NERVES: The newcomers were running on butterflies. Ian and Drake looked like they were on skates, and Cade was rushing everything.

- And oh Dear Lord --- the missed FTs! That needs to get corrected ASAP. Can't be relying on RJ's 90% to cover our butts.

- Team defense --- all five guys moving and seeing man-and-ball --- spotty as hell in the first half.

OK... now the encouraging stuff:
- Hubert must've ripped the guys at halftime with the same things I was saying out loud to the TV ;) We came out and forced a shot-clock violation which set the tone for better all-around effort --- did better cleaning the glass --- much better at help with more active feet and hands.

- GET THE DAMN BALL TO JWASH!!! We made a better effort at that in the 2nd half, with Hubert calling plays to get him looks and it paid off. Big fella was efficient and love that 3-ball stroke. He also more than held his own on the defensive end vs a physical opponent.

- Cade finally got one to drop, but it's getting to be time to bring that deadly practice stroke to game conditions. BTW, I LOVE that Hubert was giving him hell for passing up looks.

- Hello Seth Trimble! No more of that tentative hanging in the air. Young fella is using that freaky athleticism now. Too bad this wasn't a real game with that scoring outburst --- 33 by my count and MADE ALL OF HIS FTs!

- And once again, welcome to the Cadeau Show! Our elite PG made a couple of loose passes late and missed some FTs, but Lordy, he is an absolute pleasure to watch for this ol' coach and PG. I mean, he just ain't right with what he sees and the no-looks from anywhere. I kept stats and did so after recording the game so I could double-check, and counted properly, EC had 15 dimes (not 13), plus 8 blown, 5 coach's assists leading to FTs --- vs 4 TOs --- then throw in 5 boards, 4 steals and 3 caused TOs. He was also 2/3 from deep, but was still passing up some looks. Interestingly, Hubert called a play for him to take his first one. Another good coaching move.

- Speaking of coaching, I liked the balance of set plays vs Freelance along side our improved transition emphasis

- Finally, the rotations (sans RJ and Claude) were as expected with various combiinations, "big" and "small", and I love how we moved and shared the rock. That needs to continue when RJ comes back.

Anyway, that was just what the doctor ordered with myriad teaching points for coming practices --- especially the urgency of rebounding as a team and being strong with the ball. Plus, it was nice to get the "win"... :cool:

Reactions: viking131
Thanks Gary, I have been looking forward to you take on things….
I only watched a short clip of highlights so I’ll take your word for it on the “areas to work on”
Very glad to see a confident and aggressive Seth, and yes, the highlights made EX look like a savant.
Looking forward to tuning in to watch entire games!

Thanks, G7. Coaches (😉 and ex-coaches) love to scramble up a win over a quality opponent
while leaving coachable pointers on game film. Hubert and staff have PLENTY to share with
these guys over the next few weeks before the real deal begins, and as my old buddy
All-State SC PG point guard DCM, aka Cool Breeze, always told me: You play like you practice!
Coach ‘em up, Staff! GDTBATH ⛹🏾‍♂️🏀👍🏾👏🏾

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT