ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Wake game)...

If this were any other player that was not making jump shots and some of those misses be really bad and at the free throw line was not good, what would your initial reaction be? Would it maybe be that this kid does not look like a natural shooter? Would you explore why that kid was not a natural jump shooter or just conclude that I don't want Leaky taking jump shots or I don't want Seth taking jump shots? Now of course you can play with mechanics, put up a thousand or so jumpers every day in the off season and improve it some some but you are not going to turn Seth for example in to Donald Williams or Wayne Ellington, you just aren't. It isn't all about mechanics or Reggie Miller would have never played in the NBA, how the heck did that ugly jump shot every work? LOL

I expect a LOT of work on that jumper during the off season, I expect to see his motion radically change and I think he will be better jump shooter next season but I am not looking for him to be a great jump shooter, that isn't his game. Again, just my opinion...
Don't get me wrong. He will never live up to anything close to expectations if he doesn't learn how to shoot. His shot is plain awful right now. But if he fixes that and makes it a strength, he is golden.

Reactions: UNC-75
one thing nobody has mentioned about the blowout win last night was the weak guard play by Wake especially in the second half. Sallis got his but he took a ton of shots and he seemed scared when hounded by Trimble.,Miller did not do much better and he and team barely had any assists for the entire game…

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
EC is a baller for sure. Before the season started I looked for some hs shooting stats. Very few are available and I wondered how his shot was. While I know his confidence could have been affected, there shouldn’t be any affect if very little from the free throw line. Say what you want to ,but he’s struggling something fierce with his shot. Hope he gets it figured out because we are a whole different breed if and when he does.

Reactions: UNC-75 and TPFKAPFS
CONFIDENCE. It has clearly gotten into his head now.

As many of you know, I've probably seen more of his HS/AAU games than most and shooting was never a problem. There were a couple of mechanical things to tighten up but no big issues at all. If you remember, at the Late Night scrimmage he came out of the gate and popped a 3 like nothing. THAT is what I saw in HS. He was a PG who could get his shot pretty much whenever he wanted it, and shot a decent pct when he did.

Somewhere along the line here, doubt has set in. I still trace it back (at least partially) to not starting him from game-1. For a kid like that who is used to being handed the ball and the keys, that in itself can be a confidence set-back. Another possible factor is that being around older teammates who are frighteningly consistent in practice can make one question one's own accumen by comparison, and maybe become "afraid of missing" and thus, start steering and overthinking.

Any of y'all who've ever coached (or maybe it's happened to you)) have likely been around a player who got the yips for whatever reason. We REALLY need to get this corrected before it turns into a Steve Sax thing. In addition to the obvious --- reps and coaching in the gym --- at some point when it's appropriate in a game, Hubert needs to tell Eliot to start firing and not be afraid of failing til he can see it fall in the arena.
This is exactly the case in my opinion. My Son experienced yips as a baseball pitcher and SS. He is normally a very accurate thrower of the baseball, but the yips can be unrelenting. I don't know if EC has the yips, but he DEFINITELY has a confidence problem on jumpshots. Gary listed a lot of believable reasons and it has to be frustrating fir the kid. He was a very solid jump shooter before this recent predicament.
I watched the Carolina bench after Cadeau shot that one jumper hard off the glass without even grazing the rim. Lebo just leaned back in his chair with his hands behind his head, he seems like he feels helpless too. This is probably not something EC will fix this season, like Trimble, this will need to be fixed this Summer.
And he is not going anywhere until he puts this behind him.

This is exactly the case in my opinion. My Son experienced yips as a baseball pitcher and SS. He is normally a very accurate thrower of the baseball, but the yips can be unrelenting. I don't know if EC has the yips, but he DEFINITELY has a confidence problem on jumpshots. Gary listed a lot of believable reasons and it has to be frustrating fir the kid. He was a very solid jump shooter before this recent predicament.
I watched the Carolina bench after Cadeau shot that one jumper hard off the glass without even grazing the rim. Lebo just leaned back in his chair with his hands behind his head, he seems like he feels helpless too. This is probably not something EC will fix this season, like Trimble, this will need to be fixed this Summer.
And he is not going anywhere until he puts this behind him.
Yeah... I saw that as well... I feel Jeff's pain, and think about it: On our own staff we have two of the best shooters in UNC history (and also throw in Marcus and hell, Pat won the damn McD AA 3-point contest). These guys can flat coach up shooting, but again, this is in EC's head right about now.

The things I bitched about last season and early this year have been addressed and made whole big time. With a few exceptions beginning around the OK game UNC has found the good old TEAM DEFENSIVE game I have missed for awhile now. And along with the defensive EFFORT the UNC transition game has "magically" re-appeared and there is no fng doubt EC has made a world of difference in that area and we're not in February yet.

Another thing that has made a uge difference is the actual use of (and actually having) some QUALITY bench players. Jwit just continues to do the things that compliment this team so well both ways and Seth continues to impress me with both his shot, defense and overall basketball IQ improvement. Jwash continues to improve even though it seems he's still a bit unsure at times about what he's supposed to be doing but he's learning to trust his body a bit more and hopefully continues to hit the weight room.

One of the brighter sides of this improvement is that we are learning we no longer need to depend on Bacot to score inside because others are doing those things that UNC has traditionally done so well. Off the ball movement .. driving the lane to hit the runners and finding those open lanes for the 10 footers .. good stuff.

And I'll give the biggest kudos to Coach Davis for making all this happen. I know I ragged on him last season, maybe deserved .. maybe not, but I've also said more than once that I'd like to see some of the legacy players he was left with move on so he could build or have the team he want's .. and it appears he has made and is still moving in that direction and I give him all the credit in the world for bringing back what us old folk remember as Carolina basketball. GO HEELS !!!

While none of us knows for sure what is going on in his head. I CAN tell you this --- the competition has little-to-nothing to do with it. For one thing, he was quite often head-to-head against equally or more talented opponents in HS/AAU than he usually sees in college, and never had an issue. And when you're short-arming WIDE-OPEN 10 footers it doesn't matter if your opponent is the Lakers or a middle school team.

And wtf are you even going off about with all that "opinions" and "band-wagons" and "cakes" junk? That has ZERO to do with anything I posted. I simply offered some analysis and educated speculation as to the source of a pretty glaring issue.
👀🙄🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Archer2
The things I bitched about last season and early this year have been addressed and made whole big time. With a few exceptions beginning around the OK game UNC has found the good old TEAM DEFENSIVE game I have missed for awhile now. And along with the defensive EFFORT the UNC transition game has "magically" re-appeared and there is no fng doubt EC has made a world of difference in that area and we're not in February yet.

Another thing that has made a uge difference is the actual use of (and actually having) some QUALITY bench players. Jwit just continues to do the things that compliment this team so well both ways and Seth continues to impress me with both his shot, defense and overall basketball IQ improvement. Jwash continues to improve even though it seems he's still a bit unsure at times about what he's supposed to be doing but he's learning to trust his body a bit more and hopefully continues to hit the weight room.

One of the brighter sides of this improvement is that we are learning we no longer need to depend on Bacot to score inside because others are doing those things that UNC has traditionally done so well. Off the ball movement .. driving the lane to hit the runners and finding those open lanes for the 10 footers .. good stuff.

And I'll give the biggest kudos to Coach Davis for making all this happen. I know I ragged on him last season, maybe deserved .. maybe not, but I've also said more than once that I'd like to see some of the legacy players he was left with move on so he could build or have the team he want's .. and it appears he has made and is still moving in that direction and I give him all the credit in the world for bringing back what us old folk remember as Carolina basketball. GO HEELS !!!
Yeah, I agree, it amazes me that Hubert had such a bad season last year as a coach yet so far this season he not only is the leading candidate for ACC COY but I would suggest should be NCAA coach of the year. While I may not agree with everything, his decisions make really good sense and they just didn't last season. If there were a trophy for most improved coach, it should have Hubert's picture on it!

Yeah, I agree, it amazes me that Hubert had such a bad season last year as a coach yet so far this season he not only is the leading candidate for ACC COY but I would suggest should be NCAA coach of the year. While I may not agree with everything, his decisions make really good sense and they just didn't last season. If there were a trophy for most improved coach, it should have Hubert's picture on it!
you forgot to tell everybody that this was just your opinion and that it's not right or wrong because it's just your opinion. Or maybe since you didn't state that to begin with we're supposed to assume that you're stating facts? Or maybe they're facts because they're your opinions. See how that works.

Reactions: gary-7
Stoked for the win streak!

It seems like EC is releasing his jump shot a bit late and when he is on the way down.

I am confident that he will gain more confidence with more PT. Seeing all these layups go in the basket can’t hurt either!

Go Heels

• Love
Well, that makes about as much sense as your first response, but at least it's shorter, so there's that.
LOL, typical gary, don't agree with him and he is compelled to retort to being petty. Funny, has me laughing hard, watch he MUST have the final word, wait and see! LOL Sorry gary, so sorry that I communicate at a level beyond your ability to comprehend, oh please forgive me, oh please do...LOL

you forgot to tell everybody that this was just your opinion and that it's not right or wrong because it's just your opinion. Or maybe since you didn't state that to begin with we're supposed to assume that you're stating facts? Or maybe they're facts because they're your opinions. See how that works.
Well then let me clearly state for the record that what I said was 100% my opinion! WE happy now? LOL

As a matter of fact, I see some folks with the same message under their screen name that shows up in every post. I saw one guy has a poster on ignore and it shows on every post. I not only would be glad to add just that type of disclaimer for everyone of my posts that I speak to MY OPINION AND that my opinions should not be taken as fact! I do NOT elevate or offer my opinions as unquestionable fact or of any more value to any other poster on this site.

Reactions: Archer2
Don't get me wrong. He will never live up to anything close to expectations if he doesn't learn how to shoot. His shot is plain awful right now. But if he fixes that and makes it a strength, he is golden.
I honestly don't think it is going to be fixable to the level it becomes a strength, it can for sure get better and needs to but from what I see it is something he just has not ever really worked on (my opinion). I see that a lot with kids, they got away for so long because they are just more gifted that others but each step you rise to you have to really work on those skill things and if you don't start till college it is hard to take a weakness and make it a strength. Jordan was able to take his weakness as a shooter and turn it in to his strength but that was Jordan and Jordans don't fall off trees.

Cool, thanks gobbler, you inspired me to add this disclaimer to every post I make! I appreciate that!

LOL, typical gary, don't agree with him and he is compelled to retort to being petty. Funny, has me laughing hard, watch he MUST have the final word, wait and see! LOL Sorry gary, so sorry that I communicate at a level beyond your ability to comprehend, oh please forgive me, oh please do...LOL
No, Dave, this is not about me. It is about you having arguments with yourself about shit nobody else was even imagining but you.

If you can't make a simple statement of your view on something without projecting all manner of your imagined motivations onto me, then please do everyone a favor and don't respond to me, and I will gladly reciprocate.

No, Dave, this is not about me. It is about you having arguments with yourself about shit nobody else was even imagining but you.

If you can't make a simple statement of your view on something without projecting all manner of your imagined motivations onto me, then please do everyone a favor and don't respond to me, and I will gladly reciprocate.
Dave, you did have 4 consecutive posts in this thread without anyone replying in between. Who you debating Dawg?🤔

I'd rather not talk too far out of school, but nutshell, it involved the transfer portal and the whole thing is superfluous at this point as it worked out for the best for both programs. But, apparentlly it got heated at the time, so....
Fair enough

Reactions: gary-7
I was actually talking about this with a co-worker yesterday. UNC defense is sneaky good. I saw one stat where they are rated 3rd in defensive efficiency since 12/1, a stretch with only Charles Southern as a cream puff. It is not Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell or the old UNLV man to man intense pressure of the early 90's just a different style. UNC does not have a generational shot blocker and aside from Trimble not really a true lockdown defender.

They are simply playing smart, positional defense and trusting teammates to be in the right place. That discipline will travel as we have seen already. I cannot remember the last time I said "when the efficiency on offense matches the defense, look out" about UNC but it's true this year.

EC is clearly trying to aim his shots! He just needs to relax, shoot in rhythm and take whatever happens! No matter why he it is happening, he has to just let the shots happen naturally and ensure his follow through is more consistent. Since he is taking extra time to aim, he is also shooting after he starts to come down so they are always short! Luckily for us and him he has way more tools in his arsenal and he is demoralizing peeps driving to score/dish and on D! (credit the dude earlier that mentioned him shooting on the way down too, it was one of those late view thingys)

Last edited:
EC is clearly trying to aim his shots! He just needs to relax, shoot in rhythm and take whatever happens!
It's mental with him right now, like it was with Withers.
EC is on pace to lead us back to the Final Four with or without the 3-ball ✍️

Who can stay in front of Elliot Cadeau on defense? “Not a soul in this world,” #UNC teammate Harrison Ingram says.

EC's free throw percentage has to come up. 60 percent, It's hard to chalk that up to youth.

Offensively I have high hopes on his potential, as mentioned before his shots seemed aimed. To me his shot likes better off the dribble, his spot up 3 doesn't look good at all.

He is getting better finishing at the rim, and that is been getting him bye for now, but RJ is going to cool off, and we are going to need a few of ECs shots to fall.

Dave, you did have 4 consecutive posts in this thread without anyone replying in between. Who you debating Dawg?🤔
I was replying to other posts? I did do my look at this last game in 2 separate posts because I wanted to talk about team before individual players and knew I was going to get a bit more long winded than is even my norm. I was just really excited over this win against Wake, was to me maybe our most impressive win so far this season.

Reactions: tarwhiz
I don't know you guys, but I like to hear what you both have to say, gary-7 and DSouthr!
Appreciated and agreed --- and yes, our friend David is a venerable Heel, a valued poster and knows the game.
I suspect I speak for many when I say that I like to see him post his takes... albeit minus the digressions into anticipated arguments and/or projections as to the motivations of others.

I like to hear what both have to say too, but sometimes I don't have time a work to read it all, lol. I used to be polarizing like these two, but lately I can't seem to offend like I used to, lol! I'll try to be better!
puke sux and UNC rules!

I too like to read both Gary’s and Dave’s takes…. And many others on here.

Mind you, for some of Dave’s I have to spread out the read to both sides of the alarm clock!

• Haha
There is also some leftover tension between staffs over some off-season things...
Please elaborate if you can. Never mind I saw your earlier post. Must have been over Hunter Sallis, given how much his mom loves Hubert. My guess.

Last edited:
I was replying to other posts? I did do my look at this last game in 2 separate posts because I wanted to talk about team before individual players and knew I was going to get a bit more long winded than is even my norm. I was just Put p1really excited over this win against Wake, was to me maybe our most impressive win so far 38this season.

Please elaborate if you can. Never mind I saw your earlier post. Must have been over Hunter Sallis, given how much his mom loves Hubert. My guess.
You could be right, but my best guess would be Wake trying to poach JWash or Trimble. No chance at Bacot or Davis, and Carolina pretty much invited everyone else to leave. We had no rights to Sallis, so I don't think Hubert would get upset over that. I don't even recall Carolina having any clear interest in Huntter this off-season.

You could be right, but my best guess would be Wake trying to poach JWash or Trimble. No chance at Bacot or Davis, and Carolina pretty much invited everyone else to leave. We had no rights to Sallis, so I don't think Hubert would get upset over that. I don't even recall Carolina having any clear interest in Huntter this off-season.
Good point and probably right. That would piss HD off for sure.

As I said guys, it is just some leftover coach-drama from butting heads this summer over something that worked out for the best for everyone involved. Stuff like this happens all the time.

Right now, it's best left lay and message board speculation (none of which is on target) is not productive. I probably shouldn't have even alluded to it in the first place --- so my bad. Circle back after the season's over and I can probably clarify then.

All I have heard and it was just whispers, was that there may have been some communication with Styles during the season that was not appropriate. But that was un-confirmed and the whispers ceased. Those whispers were aimed at 2 big 4 ACC programs and one of them was not duke. I dismissed it to nothing more than gossip or chatter.

All I have heard and it was just whispers, was that there may have been some communication with Styles during the season that was not appropriate. But that was un-confirmed and the whispers ceased. Those whispers were aimed at 2 big 4 ACC programs and one of them was not duke. I dismissed it to nothing more than gossip or chatter.
Yeah, I heard State was snooping Styles, didn't know bout Wake. Doesn't matter to me. I like our team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT