ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Wake game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and rolly-polly got hisself out-coached (more on that below)...

Arright... some mofo snuck into the Dome and put a lid on on our basket, but once we opened the seal it wasn't long before game over. But here's the thing --- I could see that coming because we were out-scheming them and playing as good a brand o' D as we've seen, even when our shots weren't falling.

- Let's start there: I hate Forbes' dribble-drive-iso ball, but it can be tedious to defend with their fire-power and FT prowess --- you MUST play full-possessions with your FEET and not bail them out with reaches! To our guys' credit, we didn't give in or let up. Other than being able to pick on RJ early with Sallis' size advantage, NOTHING came easy for them. While we were missing good looks, Wake struggled to even GET looks.

- Again, great team defensive effort and we really cleaned up our rotations from Saturday. Individually, Mando has become SO damn good defensively in his old age, and EC flat did a number on his PG counterparts all night.

- We finally broke it open with defense and TEMPO. In that 2nd half ass-kicking when we hung 52 on em, 26 of those came in transition (!)... I also liked that we made an effort to play up-tempo in the second even when EC was out, which previously hasn't been the case. In general though, some of those second-half Secondaries were sick :).

- Controlled the boards vs a long team.

- Credit to the zebras for not biting on Wake's constant attempts to beg fouls by initiating contact on their shots. Other than two AWFUL calls (one on Cadeau and one on RJ) that gave Wake unearned FTs, the crew was solid.

- a VERY deceptive stat shows us with only 8 Assists, but (other than EC once again getting shorted by at least 2) the reason was the coaching thing I started with. I mentioned yesterday that we put in a play or two for each opponent that we've scouted and then hammer it. Tonight it was the high angled flair-screen into a 2-man game from the top. As you saw, Wake does NOT defend that worth a crap and Forbes didn't adjust as EC and RJ consistently got down-hill and our "little guys" were making layups. By my count we ran that action 16 times and got a bucket or FTs from it 11 (and could've been more with some finishes). Plus, RJ just ate em up on the mid-range floater that was there whenever he wanted it on the way to his career high.

- the other sweet coaching adjustment was getting the rock to Ingram for the RIGHT isos --- whenever he had redhead-boy on him it was taking candy from a baby --- while not forcing vs a taller defender.

- Finally, i love how this team never seems to let bad stretches get them into hang-dogging or forcing shots (like um, last season). These guys seems to realize that if we keep doing what we've been practicing, success will come.

Anyway, got past another Cormac ankle scare and stepped up to blow out a definite NCAA team. Now let's get rested and ready to rock again Saturday!...
:cool:

Last edited:
What a team. This team is UNC basketball. It can strike you faster than a cobra and before you know what has hit you you go from tied to down 15. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this basketball team. Coach Davis DESERVES a ton of credit for this turnaround and this team genuinely loves playing with each other. AND everyone concerned about BACOT, please stop. This team is NOT the same team as the past 3-4 years. Bacot does not have to score 18 a game for the team to be in it. Have you noticed all the other things that BACOT is doing incredibly well. Setting 'physical ass screens', clearing the lane for the drivers and defending as good as I have seen him. This is a TEAM now and that is UNC basketball. How sweet it is. GDTBTH!!

Trimble also completely stonewalled Sallis in his minutes. Looked great.

This team is playing brilliantly, so fun to watch. One thing with Hubert is can we get the bench a few more minutes in blowouts? Up 20 with 2-3 minutes to go and Ryan having already rolled his ankle, leaving all the starters in is just asking for trouble. I know it's a small thing, but still.

Trimble also completely stonewalled Sallis in his minutes. Looked great.

This team is playing brilliantly, so fun to watch. One thing with Hubert is can we get the bench a few more minutes in blowouts? Up 20 with 2-3 minutes to go and Ryan having already rolled his ankle, leaving all the starters in is just asking for trouble. I know it's a small thing, but still.
I think the starters finished the game because it was a "statement" game and we were gonna fight til the horn.

I LOVED Bacot clubbing the Wake dude with 4 seconds left to deny him a lay up, even tho we were up 20'ish

Gotta let the league challengers know they are fighting for 2nd place!

I think the starters finished the game because it was a "statement" game and we were gonna fight til the horn.

I LOVED Bacot clubbing the Wake dude with 4 seconds left to deny him a lay up, even tho we were up 20'ish

Gotta let the league challengers know they are fighting for 2nd place!
Yeah, seemed like it a bit. Hubert called that play for RJ at the end to get him to 36. Maybe Hubert wants this team to start getting the hype they (and RJ) have earned.

It seems to be a bit of a pattern though; we usually keep the guys in too long (IMO). When Washington only gets 5 minutes, it'd be nice to get him a bit more time as that game got out of hand. I'd have also tried to get High in the game (Wojcik is still getting first half minutes...), but these are small things. Tema is killing it.

...and rolly-polly got hisself out-coached (more on that below)...

Arright... some mofo snuck into the Dome and put a lid on on our basket, but once we opened the seal it wasn't long before game over. But here's the thing --- I could see that coming because we were out-scheming them and playing as good a brand o' D as we've seen, even when our shots weren't falling.

- Let's start there: I hate Forbes' dribble-drive-iso ball, but it can be tedious to defend with their fire-power and FT prowess --- you MUST play full-possessions with your FEET and not bail them out with reaches! To our guys' credit, we didn't give in or let up. Other than being able to pick on RJ early with Sallis' size advantage, NOTHING came easy for them. While we were missing good looks, Wake struggled to even GET looks.

- Again, great team defensive effort and we really cleaned up our rotations from Saturday. Individually, Mando has become SO damn good defensively in his old age, and EC flat did a number on his PG counterparts all night.

- We finally broke it open with defense and TEMPO. In that 2nd half ass-kicking when we hung 52 on em, 26 of those came in transition (!)... I also liked that we made an effort to play up-tempo in the second even when EC was out, which previously hasn't been the case. In general though, some of those second-half Secondaries were sick :).

- Controlled the boards vs a long team.

- Credit to the zebras for not biting on Wake's constant attempts to beg fouls by initiating contact on their shots. Other than two AWFUL calls (one on Cadeau and one on RJ) that gave Wake unearned FTs, the crew was solid.

- a VERY deceptive stat shows us with only 8 Assists, but (other than EC once again getting shorted by at least 2) the reason was the coaching thing I started with. I mentioned yesterday that we put in a play or two for each opponent that we've scouted and then hammer it. Tonight it was the high angled flair-screen into a 2-man game from the top. As you saw, Wake does NOT defend that worth a crap and Forbes didn't adjust as EC and RJ consistently got down-hill and our "little guys" were making layups. By my count we ran that action 16 times and got a bucket or FTs from it 11 (and could've been more with some finishes). Plus, RJ just ate em up on the mid-range floater that was there whenever he wanted it on the way to his career high.

- the other sweet coaching adjustment was getting the rock to Ingram for the RIGHT isos --- whenever he had redhead-boy on him it was taking candy from a baby --- while not forcing vs a taller defender.

- Finally, i love how this team never seems to let bad stretches get them into hang-dogging or forcing shots (like um, last season). These guys seems to realize that if we keep doing what we've been practicing, success will come.

Anyway, got past another Cormac ankle scare and stepped up to blow out a definite NCAA team. Now let's get rested and ready to rock again Saturday!...
:cool:
Excellent. Gary, I am hard pressed to come up with a better defensive team at Carolina since the 1993 National Champion team lead by Lynch, Phelps, Montross and company.
What say you?
Roy's teams at Carolina haven't been the same defensive teams that some of his Kansas teams were.
Dean's teams after the 93 team were more offensive based squads. I think this team is the best since 93 on the defensive end.

Last edited:
I tell you what- the murmurs of UNC basketball being dead after Roy are all laid to rest.

I know it's just hitting the stride of the season, but we have more upside still:

-Cadeau is coming on and doing what I hoped he'd do- attacking.
-RJ is straight up etching his name in with his shooting and playmaking.
-Armando is finding a different level and not having to shoulder the weight of the entire team.
-Ingram is showing flashes and soon as it clicks he will be that player whom no one can match up against who drives in and creates havoc.
-Cormac's 3 late last night seemed to be followed with a reaction of relief by him "ok- that's how you do it- GOT IT." I feel he's going to navigate his way back to being that dead eye shooter and his leadership will only swell when he has that confidence / swagger back.

I like seeing a bit less rotation last night and feel it will be the way it is unless we are 20 up with 10 to go. It is the way to go as w need the cohesion that comes with a shorter bench IMO.

Still feel that Washington is having trouble knowing where and how to play. Feel he's got as good a 3 stroke as anyone on the team- but is not physical/ big man skilled enough to shoulder the post against seasoned players: and that's the spot he has to come in and fill.

Would love to see a lineup at some point in a comfortable game that has EC, Trimble, Withers Washington and High with Washington able to step out at times- but I'm being greedy.

Oh- the only criticism: no more 3's please Armando.

FSU on Saturday- nice full week to prepare- they are always tough vs. us. Hope we can get out of our recent habit of having to turn on the gas in the 2nd half after a sloppy stuttered start in the 1st. Again- 1st world basketball blue tinted problems.

Go Heels- wish my dad were still around to see this team- he'd've loved them.

I started another post about Bacot last night, basically said he has bought in. He has not really been the man in this run. He hasn’t been pouting he’s just been playing great D and being a good team mate to do what it takes to win. Like people have mentioned I loved the foul he gave at the end. But the play I loved more was the chase down of Reid on the fast break to block his shot.

I heard a stat going into last night that I thought was insane, UNC hasn’t allowed a transition basket in two games. I’m not 100% sure on what they consider a transition basket but I think they made it 3 games in a row. There were two borderline possessions that I would be curious how they scored it. But 15-1 on fast break points. That is another amazing stat to me for UNC basketball. I think that tells a couple stories, low turnovers, no bad shots, and great get back defense. Hell there were a couple I thought were going to be fast break but UNC hustled back and stone walled them, highlighted by Bacot’s block.

Great comments, one and all. So much to be excited about, but, for sure, this is Carolina basketball as
Michaelangelo, er, Dean Smith designed it.
And it’s being played by a versatile team with lots of scoring options and a gosh darn defensive
chip on it’s shoulder.
MAJOR kudos to the coaching staff in the preparation phase and the second half adjustments.
Not much more can be said about AA RJ. He has always been a baller, but his game is
notching higher and higher. And his supporting cast is backing him up. Damn, that was an impressive second half.
GDTBATH

Thanks G for the excellent write up. I am almost giddy with the potential of this team! It is high time that peeps stop even thinking about last year and the perfect time to finally resolve fans' PTSD! The scary part is we are not even close to our potential yet! There is not one team in the nation that worries me at this point; the only thing we should worry about is ourselves! If we play with intensity, watch out; If we lag a bit, watch out because we will fix it; If we can't hit shots, watch out because you WILL NOT SCORE; and if we hit shots, watch out because we will take your heart! Bring your A+ game because our B can beat you. Hubs and his staff are brilliant and have built a juggernaut in just the right way! I knew this wouldn't be that close and said so, and even the close first half didn't concern me. D like ours will keep us in any game and will ensure we fight hard all game. We will not run the table because stuff happens but we will be a real problem come March and, hopefully, April!

From Adam Lucas rapid reactions column:

The Tar Heels as a team have now won seven straight double-figure ACC games for the first time since the 1992-93 team won 10 straight such games. The nine straight overall double-figure wins are the most since the 2008-09 team won 13 in a row. As you might recall, the 1993 and 2009 seasons both ended pretty well. The Heels have held every ACC opponent this year below 70 points.

I had a meeting last night that included several big wake boosters. They went from making all sorts of comments about the game to basically not even looking at their phones by about 8:30. Wonder what happened :cool:.

Hoping to watch tonight. I did hear Greenberg on ACC network before the game and he pretty much said this is the Carolina basketball he remembers coaching against - defense, rebounding and tempo. He discussed how the backcourt is controlling the game and the interior game is so strong that you guard the entire court.

I am still hoping to play in Charlotte but the conference is just bad in the eyes of the computers that the committee uses so much. UNC defense is absolutely night and day from the last few years - Wake is a good offensive team and they were completely shut down in second half. Very nice stat line is that Carolina goes ofer from deep in one half and can still play the deacs even but wake goes ofer in the second and gets taken to the woodshed.

So many positives from last night...
  • RJ - tough little nut; ACCPOY!; 1st team AA; NPOY (tbd)
  • EC - attacking the rim is lethal
  • Mando - doing the little things FOR THE TEAM!
  • Harrison - double/double; he's a beast on the glass
  • Withers - solid minutes again; he's starting to "fit" in with his role now which is HUGE
  • Seth - his stat line might show a bunch of 0's, but his defense was phenomenal
The win over Wake felt like a boxer that might take a few blows in the early rounds, all while figuring out what you are trying to do. Then adjusts accordingly, wears down the opponent, and delivers the knockout punches swiftly to end it.

Great post G7
--My #1 take away from last night is there doesn't seem to be any love lost between Hubert and Forbes. HD was still calling sets in the last minute and a half of the game and never thought about sending in subs. In the hand shake line there was no eye contact by Stevie. :oops:

#2--With each game EC is nearly the "un-guardable" conversation.
#3--Excellent transition in the 2nd half.
#4--Mando's defense is the best of his career. Kudos to him.
#5--For one of the few times ACC ref Bert Smith was a non factor. 🙌

Great post G7
--My #1 take away from last night is there doesn't seem to be any love lost between Hubert and Forbes. HD was still calling sets in the last minute and a half of the game and never thought about sending in subs. In the hand shake line there was no eye contact by Stevie. :oops:

#2--With each game EC is nearly the "un-guardable" conversation.
#3--Excellent transition in the 2nd half.
#4--Mando's defense is the best of his career. Kudos to him.
#5--For one of the few times ACC ref Bert Smith was a non factor. 🙌
I think it stems to last year when Wake could have written in their point total at the end of the night. One of the most embarrassing games ever as a Tar Heel fan. We had to shoot a ridiculous amount of 3' s just to make the score look somewhat respectable. Our defense compared to that game is UNLV/ Georgetown 80's good😜

Seth is reminding me of a defensive ace that you have to be old to remember--Dudley Bradley! Greatest defensive play in UNC history was Dudley at State. If you don't remember it, Google it.
Oh yeah. Clyde the Glide Austin lost his wallet, car keys and the game in one feld theft ;)
Let's not be putting anyone in the Dudley Bradley category.

Eliot Cadeau if he can fix his shooting is going to be an all-American next year if he returns. He is fast and has amazing basketball IQ.
I totally agree Cadeau will be great next season on the hill. No NBA team is going to draft an undersized point guard who cannot consistently hit from the outside and barely connects on 60 percent of his free throw attempts even if he has a ton of potential to grow on.

The only reason I would see him going as he would go from a veteran experienced team to a much younger squad and more scoring and leadership would be expected

I totally agree Cadeau will be great next season on the hill. No NBA team is going to draft an undersized point guard who cannot consistently hit from the outside and barely connects on 60 percent of his free throw attempts even if he has a ton of potential to grow on.

The only reason I would see him going as he would go from a veteran experienced team to a much younger squad and more scoring and leadership would be expected
Don't be so sure. The one thing the NBA cares about the least a lot of the time is shooting because they think they can fix that, while other things can never be fixed like height.

Several posters have described Elliot’s successful transition during ACC play. Almost everything he does makes us a better team. Any ideas about what is limiting his outside shooting success? If those shots start falling, ….

Exactly. The NBA wants size and shooting, neither of which he has currently.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Several posters have described Elliot’s successful transition during ACC play. Almost everything he does makes us a better team. Any ideas about what is limiting his outside shooting success? If those shots start falling, ….
CONFIDENCE. It has clearly gotten into his head now.

As many of you know, I've probably seen more of his HS/AAU games than most and shooting was never a problem. There were a couple of mechanical things to tighten up but no big issues at all. If you remember, at the Late Night scrimmage he came out of the gate and popped a 3 like nothing. THAT is what I saw in HS. He was a PG who could get his shot pretty much whenever he wanted it, and shot a decent pct when he did.

Somewhere along the line here, doubt has set in. I still trace it back (at least partially) to not starting him from game-1. For a kid like that who is used to being handed the ball and the keys, that in itself can be a confidence set-back. Another possible factor is that being around older teammates who are frighteningly consistent in practice can make one question one's own accumen by comparison, and maybe become "afraid of missing" and thus, start steering and overthinking.

Any of y'all who've ever coached (or maybe it's happened to you)) have likely been around a player who got the yips for whatever reason. We REALLY need to get this corrected before it turns into a Steve Sax thing. In addition to the obvious --- reps and coaching in the gym --- at some point when it's appropriate in a game, Hubert needs to tell Eliot to start firing and not be afraid of failing til he can see it fall in the arena.

CONFIDENCE. It has clearly gotten into his head now.

As many of you know, I've probably seen more of his HS/AAU games than most and shooting was never a problem. There were a couple of mechanical things to tighten up but no big issues at all. If you remember, at the Late Night scrimmage he came out of the gate and popped a 3 like nothing. THAT is what I saw in HS. He was a PG who could get his shot pretty much whenever he wanted it, and shot a decent pct when he did.

Somewhere along the line here, doubt has set in. I still trace it back (at least partially) to not starting him from game-1. For a kid like that who is used to being handed the ball and the keys, that in itself can be a confidence set-back. Another possible factor is that being around older teammates who are frighteningly consistent in practice can make one question one's own accumen by comparison, and maybe become "afraid of missing" and thus, start steering and overthinking.

Any of y'all who've ever coached (or maybe it's happened to you)) have likely been around a player who got the yips for whatever reason. We REALLY need to get this corrected before it turns into a Steve Sax thing. In addition to the obvious --- reps and coaching in the gym --- at some point when it's appropriate in a game, Hubert needs to tell Eliot to start firing and not be afraid of failing til he can see it fall in the arena.
Excellent break down and recommendations

WHAT A POWERFUL WIN !!!

Forgive me folks but I am going to speak to this game with 2 separate posts because I want to talk about this team first before I speak about the individual players. Folks this tar Heel team is good, they are real good, they are special good, they are different. I will get this out of the way right now and folks can drill me for saying it if they want, I don't care, Wake in my opinion is a top 20 team but they got drilled last night. They were absolutely taken apart, it was a death by a thousand cuts!

Most every decent team will find that game where their offense just seems to click, shots drop, and they end up blowing out the opponents. That isn't what happened last night, it was even better than that because we did it leading with our defense. That first half as has been said, there was a lid on our basket, well OK, we will just rely on our defense until the basket lid gets removed. I have said this many times this season and last night was yet another example, even when we struggled to hit jumpers in that first half the shots were really clean looks, just missed them been the case all season, really good shot selection. But the other part of it is there also, the shots we give up most often are harder looks. We make a lay up on our end, they have to hit a coffin corner fade away trey on the other end just as the clock is about to tick all the way down. You don't win taking harder shots than the other team, you may win a half because shooters do hit hard shots at times but they don't sustain that for 40mins just as missed good shots does not continue for 40mins.

I saw something in the first 5mins that told me ut oh, this may be really fun to watch, the refs allowed the players to play, the refs did not dominate this game, Bacot was in near shock, they let him play. Refs have dominated far to many games this season to the extent they are hurting the game, hurting the sport, didn't happen last night, thank you.

While we may be ranked #3 right now, yes UConn beat us EARLY season but this ain't early season, we are a MUCH better team because we were not playing nearly this level of defense early and this team STILL has a LOT they can improve on. Many of you saw me saying right after Ky beat us that I want that team again, that I want these Heels to play that team again, I STILL WANT THAT!

As for the players last night, first off kudos to RJ, he started off a touch cold but when he warmed up he went off. Both he and Cadeau quickly realized Wake's guards could not hang with them, it was lay up lay up floata floata, RJ shoots and game was ova ! And everyone looks at that!

But guys, Bacot was masterful, those screens he was setting deserved assists, he shut down any big man he matched up on. Did ya love watching Reid trying to back Bacot down and Bacot just perfectly defending him without fouling! You expect a bunch of points and boards from Bacot, what you got last night was even better! Ingram, that wrist if still a problem for him, he shared that in post game that it is maybe 50% which means it is even worse than that. But he does not let that stop him from playing hawking defense even giving up length and in many game a lot of pounds! Just his all around game and last night yet again, hit the boards for, another 14 boards last night and another double double, he does the dirty work every game. Ryan, well, see Ingram, that kid does not get the credit for the defense he is playing, for his ability to pull this team together when they start to let up a bit. This is stuff the box score doesn't reflect but are vital to the out come of games.

My guilty pleasure is watching Seth Trimble play defense, how he moves his feet is just so good, if you score on him you better point to the man upstairs because it took all you had to do it. Just watch this kid defend on the ball and it doesn't matter if it is 1-3, he is with them step for step, even when they get down hill on him, he stones them at the end. This kid is changing games and it isn't talked about nearly as much as he deserves, he is as vital to this team as any of our starters are. JWit, man this kid is really coming on now, he playing like a starter while coming off the bench. This is why before this season started I had him as my starting 4 and Ingram starting at the 3 with Ryan coming off the bench. I strongly believe Seth is our 6th starter, looks to me like JWit may be our 7th starter, he has pulled away from Jwash for that honor, kudoes!

Cadeau, some discussion over last couple days questioning if he was a generational talent or just really really talented. I took the position that he is not a generational level PG right now, still hold that stance, but I added that he shows us flashes of potential at times that tell me he has the ability to be a generational guy and there were multiple flashes of just that last night. WE started with a lid on our basket but Cadeau took that lid off by using screens to drive in to and thru the paint, converted what was it 2 or 3 lay ups using crafty ball handles early first half before our shooting kicked in, he is so quick that he makes things look like slow motion? And then there was RJ and Cadeau just driving the paint in that second half and there was absolutely nothing any Wake players could do to stop it, they couldn't even slow it down, it was almost like a run away freight train, it don't stop till it is over!

POWER WIN!

I do not agree that the uptick in Cadeau's game is about his having a lack of confidence from not starting early on, hold a different opinion fine but I don't agree. What it is more about, in my opinion (notice yet again that I insert this as my opinion rather than telling someone else they are wrong because they may not agree with my opinion), is Cadeau had to learn to play against extremely talented college players that have spent multiple years in college strength and conditioning programs. He has had to learn and is still that many of the things he was able to do in high school don't work against fully grown highly conditioned grown men. EVERY D-1 scholarship player was a star for his team in high school, this ain't high school!

IN additional Cadeau has had to learn what I believe is the most difficult position to learn as a Tar Heel player. He has had to learn his team mates strengths and weaknesses, early on he would make a great pass to a guy that really was not in position for that pass or was not able to do with a pass what other teammates could. It is the very same learning curve every UNC PG has to go thru, Joel had to, Marcus had to, Ty had to, they all had to. Now if we could slow down the race to see who can be his greatest supporter and not worry about who drives his bad wagon, maybe we can come back to the common sense realization that this kid like every other freshman UNC has had, has to learn the transition from high school to the college game. Every one of you know this, every one of you have watched this season after season, great player after great player, great PG after great PG, it is always the same, they have to learn first and then they come on strong. Give him the time to develop in to the player you want him to be today, in other words please let the Cadeau cake bake before screaming how his cake is the best you ever ate... I fully expect that cake to be great but I really can't tell you how great it is until it is baked and I have been able to sample it. Strange to me how others feel they can? If it is your opinion that Cadeau is the best PG we have ever had, I don't have a problem with that, it's your opinion and you have every right to your opinion, just as I do. It is when folks claim their opinions as fact and fact that can not be disputed is where I spit the hook, I don't do that and I don't take it well coming from others.

If this were any other player that was not making jump shots and some of those misses be really bad and at the free throw line was not good, what would your initial reaction be? Would it maybe be that this kid does not look like a natural shooter? Would you explore why that kid was not a natural jump shooter or just conclude that I don't want Leaky taking jump shots or I don't want Seth taking jump shots? Now of course you can play with mechanics, put up a thousand or so jumpers every day in the off season and improve it some some but you are not going to turn Seth for example in to Donald Williams or Wayne Ellington, you just aren't. It isn't all about mechanics or Reggie Miller would have never played in the NBA, how the heck did that ugly jump shot every work? LOL

I expect a LOT of work on that jumper during the off season, I expect to see his motion radically change and I think he will be better jump shooter next season but I am not looking for him to be a great jump shooter, that isn't his game. Again, just my opinion...

I do not agree that the uptick in Cadeau's game is about his having a lack of confidence from not starting early on, hold a different opinion fine but I don't agree. What it is more about, in my opinion (notice yet again that I insert this as my opinion rather than telling someone else they are wrong because they may not agree with my opinion), is Cadeau had to learn to play against extremely talented college players that have spent multiple years in college strength and conditioning programs. He has had to learn and is still that many of the things he was able to do in high school don't work against fully grown highly conditioned grown men. EVERY D-1 scholarship player was a star for his team in high school, this ain't high school!

IN additional Cadeau has had to learn what I believe is the most difficult position to learn as a Tar Heel player. He has had to learn his team mates strengths and weaknesses, early on he would make a great pass to a guy that really was not in position for that pass or was not able to do with a pass what other teammates could. It is the very same learning curve every UNC PG has to go thru, Joel had to, Marcus had to, Ty had to, they all had to. Now if we could slow down the race to see who can be his greatest supporter and not worry about who drives his bad wagon, maybe we can come back to the common sense realization that this kid like every other freshman UNC has had, has to learn the transition from high school to the college game. Every one of you know this, every one of you have watched this season after season, great player after great player, great PG after great PG, it is always the same, they have to learn first and then they come on strong. Give him the time to develop in to the player you want him to be today, in other words please let the Cadeau cake bake before screaming how his cake is the best you ever ate... I fully expect that cake to be great but I really can't tell you how great it is until it is baked and I have been able to sample it. Strange to me how others feel they can? If it is your opinion that Cadeau is the best PG we have ever had, I don't have a problem with that, it's your opinion and you have every right to your opinion, just as I do. It is when folks claim their opinions as fact and fact that can not be disputed is where I spit the hook, I don't do that and I don't take it well coming from others.
While none of us knows for sure what is going on in his head. I CAN tell you this --- the competition has little-to-nothing to do with it. For one thing, he was quite often head-to-head against equally or more talented opponents in HS/AAU than he usually sees in college, and never had an issue. And when you're short-arming WIDE-OPEN 10 footers it doesn't matter if your opponent is the Lakers or a middle school team.

And wtf are you even going off about with all that "opinions" and "band-wagons" and "cakes" junk? That has ZERO to do with anything I posted. I simply offered some analysis and educated speculation as to the source of a pretty glaring issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT