ADVERTISEMENT

Rank ‘em tksgvng side dishes

I have no problem with any side listed here, but I'm going to throw in one that will probably label me as white trash, and I don't care. I call it marshmallow salad but I guess it's called a few different things, like sour cream salad. It's more of a dessert but it's served with the meal and I could eat a boatload of it. I wish I had some right now.

Reactions: Terror Beard
I have no problem with any side listed here, but I'm going to throw in one that will probably label me as white trash, and I don't care. I call it marshmallow salad but I guess it's called a few different things, like sour cream salad. It's more of a dessert but it's served with the meal and I could eat a boatload of it. I wish I had some right now.
Seen it, had it, would do it again despite the explosive poop a few hours later before redoing desserts again.

Reactions: bluetoe
We're going to need first name, last name, last 4 of social, address, job title and any pictures of yourself you may have.
Now I can’t lay claim to actually cooking any of those dishes lol. The sausage and rice is a personal favorite though

Reactions: UNC '92
Now I can’t lay claim to actually cooking any of those dishes lol. The sausage and rice is a personal favorite though
I love sausage and rice. I don't know why it never occurs to me to make some.

Do you sometimes open a can of cream of mushroom soup and dip green beans in it for a snack?
stop dude, you're making me hungry! That reminds me of my freshman year at school, and I got stranded at school at Christmas break. I had no money and I had sold everything I could for beer money, and I was starving. I knew a guy down the hall had a trunk full of canned stuff at the beginning of the semester, so I broke into his room and into the trunk. All he had left was several cans of mushroom soup.

Damn, that shit was good. Cold, right out of the can. A few green beans and some Durkee's fried onions would have made it perfect.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Speaking of sausage (the casserole, not the pics you have of each other), anybody do sausage & cranberries in their dresstuffing? My side of the fam does it - frickin amazing.

How many people have 2 sets of fam in the same town and do a full t-day twice? I've never had that pleasure/pain.

How many people have 2 sets of fam in the same town and do a full t-day twice? I've never had that pleasure/pain.
Before moms died, i would eat at her house, dads house, mom in laws house in 1 day. My poor step kids had to fit their dads house in as well. Basically finger food except for dads. He usually cooked steak instead of the usual stuff.

for a decade we had the only grandkids on both sides of the family. So every thanksgiving two meals. One set of grandparents in Aiken sc other set in Mars hill nc. We would eat around noon at one then travel and eat again around 6 at the other. Fun times.

This is how every holiday is with my family. Five minute drive from one get together to the other. The key is pushing lunch forward and delaying dinner as long as possible

Wrong. Another ENC-ism, I presume. It's sweet potato casserole everywhere else that I've heard.
Then you're hard of hearing. But I wasn't talking about a casserole. I just meant that he should have swapped the sweet potatoe casserole out with yams. If you're going to do a drive by, make sure you know what you're talking about.

@dadika13, @Terror Beard, @gunslingerdick

Then you're hard of hearing. But I wasn't talking about a casserole. I just meant that he should have swapped the sweet potatoe casserole out with yams.
They're separate dishes? Enlighten me. I always thought "yams" was yankee talk for sweet potatoes.

ETA: I Wiki'd it. Seems like people who call it yams are probably incorrect as it's most likely a sweet potato. Yam is a different botanical entity.

giphy.gif

@dadika13, @gunslingerdick, @Terror Beard
One of the best episodes. When the centerpiece flies into the fireplace and catches fire, and Grandpa Simpson's immediate reaction was "Hey! That got her going!"

Reactions: tarheel0910
Way back when deep fried turkeys was the new rage i decided to give it a try. Well the turkey wasn’t completely thawed, prob like 90%, I figured it would be OK and well.....it wasn’t OK..... at all. Oil bubbled over and ruined the deck and so on. Anyway my parents were there and they played it off as no big deal you know things happen and so on. Well over a decade later I’m at a family reunion and I see an uncle that I hadn’t seen in many years and the first thing he said was “well I guess you won’t be frying a turkey this year he ha ha Ha!” Thanks mom

My wife makes sweet potato pie instead of pumpkin. And, collards are a must at my house.
I slow cook it over charcoal. Takes a while but worth it. Plus I get to stand outside and drink while chaos ensues inside the house.
Deviled Eggs!

I came back here to see if collards had been mentioned. I can't believe there is only one mention, it's almost a Twilight Zone kind of experience that it isn't on every list. If there aren't collards, it ain't Thanksgiving.

Smoking a turkey and having your favorite Thanksgiving libation is pure bliss. Almost any smoke works, but hickory/oak, apple, or pecan are my favorites. I even tried mesquite once and it was good. Don't care for cherry on turkey though. Whisky goes with any of them.

Smoked turkey leftover sandwiches is almost the reason for doing Thanksgiving. That could be a whole new thread.

It also ain't t-day without deviled eggs. Eat six or more and reap the fragrant benefit the next day; the gusto should be shared with friends.

Reactions: chickenhunter
I came back here to see if collards had been mentioned. I can't believe there is only one mention, it's almost a Twilight Zone kind of experience that it isn't on every list. If there aren't collards, it ain't Thanksgiving.

Smoking a turkey and having your favorite Thanksgiving libation is pure bliss. Almost any smoke works, but hickory/oak, apple, or pecan are my favorites. I even tried mesquite once and it was good. Don't care for cherry on turkey though. Whisky goes with any of them.

Smoked turkey leftover sandwiches is almost the reason for doing Thanksgiving. That could be a whole new thread.

It also ain't t-day without deviled eggs. Eat six or more and reap the fragrant benefit the next day; the gusto should be shared with friends.
Collards help with the fragrance the day after. I grew them once out here. My son comes out every thanksgiving for the week to bird hunt so he brings them to me. We set up in the garage and cook them on Saturday night. I usually freeze 10-15 extra bags.

Reactions: bluetoe
Those who like pumpkin pie (I don't much care for it) should know that if the pie is made with canned filing, there isn't much pumpkin in it....apparently, pumpkin doesn't have much flavor so they mostly use either squash or sweet potato, or the ooze from a meat rendering plant; I can't remember which. I don't know that I have ever had sweet potato pie, but I have to believe that it would be a lot better than pumpkin.

I know I could look it up, but I hope someone can explain what 7 layer salad is, and what millionaire bacon is.

how about collards? I don't care for them being prepared as big chunks with some ham hock meat or bacon in there. I only really like them when they have been seasoned with fatback grease and ham hocks and whatever old school stuff was cooked with them, and then chopped really fine. Sometimes dash some vinegary stuff on them, but mostly just like them plain. I could eat nothing but collards for a week and be sad when the week was over.

ADVERTISEMENT