ADVERTISEMENT

Rank 'em - college basketball programs

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Below is a list of schools with historically great college basketball programs. I have chosen this group of schools based on many factors - claimed national titles, conference championships, all time win/loss record, legendary coaches, number of All-Americans, recruiting power and general commitment to basketball.

**With all due respect to North Carolina, the Tar Heels have been left off the list to preserve some measure of objectivity in the rankings.

[/I]Please rank the below college basketball programs from best to worst.

[/B]Connecticut
Duke
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisville
Syracuse
UCLA

Just missed the list:
Arizona
Cincinnati
Florida
Michigan State
NC State
St. John's

Kentucky

dOOk

Kansas

UCLA

Indiana

Louisville

UCONN

Syracuse

5 star thread.

UK - titles, legendary coaches, more wins, less teeth
UCLA - it's been a while but 11 titles is still 11 titles
duke - 4 titles and I'm not sure if y'all have heard, but Coach K has won 1000 games
KU - relevant 100 years ago, still relevant today
Indiana - it's been a while but 5 titles is still 5 titles
UConn - 4 titles in 20 years - impressive
UL - sadly, they'll always be second fiddle in their state
Syracuse - meh, not sure they belong

Moo
MSU
Florida
Zona
Cincy
St. Johns

i dont know all the relevant stats so i'll just go by who i think has the best overall legacy, image and relevance

kansas, home of wilt, dean, and roy

ucla, ten in a row carries a lot of weight no matter the extenuating circumstances

ky, 2nd most titles, only thing keeping them from first spot is tradition of sketchiness

d00k, lots of final 4's, k, acc titles

ind, lots of titles, undefeated season,

then a big gap for the next group

gsd will probably have carolina in the top 10...i disagree as we judge right now.

kentucky
kansas
duke
syracuse
louisville
uconn
ucla
indiana

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
5 star thread.
Naturally.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
Syracuse - meh, not sure they belong
Would you believe they're 5th in all-time wins and also 5th in all-time winning percentage? It's true.

Originally posted by gteeitup:
gsd will probably have carolina in the top 10...i disagree as we judge right now.[/QUOTE]Top 10 all time or top 10 this season? Surely you wouldn't disagree with top 10 all time.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
Below is a list of schools with historically great college basketball programs. I have chosen this group of schools based on many factors - claimed national titles, conference championships, all time win/loss record, legendary coaches, number of All-Americans, recruiting power and general commitment to basketball.

**With all due respect to North Carolina, the Tar Heels have been left off the list to preserve some measure of objectivity in the rankings.

[/I]Please rank the below college basketball programs from best to worst.

[/B]

Just missed the list:
Arizona
Cincinnati
Florida
Michigan State
NC State
St. John's
I would just like the record to show that I feel dirty after doing this list because there are a lot of programs listed that I can't stand. Also, do not expect as much detail as I gave in the football program rank'em. This is basketball...y'all should just be thankful I'm even filling out this rank'em. THN11 says....

1. Kentucky -- obvious choice. Tons of national titles. Sustained success through the years. Tons of star power, and best fan base in college basketball by a mile (in terms of attendance home and especially away. Their away presence is stupidly impressive)

2. Kansas -- tradition, tradition, tradition. Phog Allen Fieldhouse is the coolest venue in college basketball by a mile (judging based on TV, I've never been). Rock Chalk Jayhawk is the coolest chant in CBB too. They've got (2nd?) most wins ever, and they're perennially good. Sustained success, several national championships. I hate Bill Self's domination of Roy though :/

3. Duke -- they could've been number 2 on this list, but they just missed out. What hurts them is no early success. Obviously, they've had incredible success since ~1985. Traditional/classic (but tiny as hell) stadium, several national championships, more ACCT championships than any other school.

4. UCLA -- 11 championships carries them a decent way, but they haven't done f***-all since then (except for '95 or whenever).

4a. Tradition galore (the pj pants, the stadium, the classic jerseys). Legendary coach in Bob Knight. Great atmosphere. What hurts them on this list is no elite success in the past 10+ years.

4b. Louisville -- sustained success since early '80's. A couple legendary coaches, multiple national championships

5. Connecticut -- I DESPISE this program. Hate it. I hate them almost as much as Duke and Moo because Calhoun seems like a d*** and Connecticut, the state, is a cesspool that just screams "yankee trash." It was fitting that Napier shot his mouth off during and after the national championship run last year -- lack of class from a player that played for a school with no class. Auriemma is a **** too. If UConn had been allowed to join the ACC, I would've lost my mind with anger. Their two most recent national championships were crap, with two players (KW and SN, respectively) who got ridiculously hot for the last 7-8 games of their season. Screw UConn.

6. Syracuse -- meh. They've never excited me. Boeheim is a good coach but an a-hole (sensing a theme here?). They have good fan support but the Carrier Dome is a dump. I can't be bothered to research and see if they have a strong bball past, but I'm fairly certain they sucked until JB got there. Like Pitt, they morphed from a football school into a basketball school. Not enough national championships to put them higher on this list

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT