ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: class of 2016

Luke Maye is on a year-to-year scolly. Roy could take 6. If the Heels win the title Joel Berry as the point guard, you could see Meeks and Berry leave along with Justin Jackson. I think Roy expects Meeks to leave if he has a good year. I see Meeks as a Wes Unseld type player in the NBA. Thus, you have James, Brice, Paige, Jackson, Berry and Meeks, plus Maye's scolly. That's 7 scollies. Thus, you have a nucleus of Britt, Pinson, Williams, Hicks and Maye coming back.
Have you been drinking already?

Man...I love Kennedy but really??? Wes was amazing in the league and could do a ton of things Kennedy cannot. Sorry, that's just a crazy comparison.
Berry as an NBA prospect after one full year? He hasn't proven he can hit the 3 with any consistency. I will believe it only when I see it. as Marvin Gaye , Ben Franklin and Edgar Allan Poe have said at various times "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear".

Berry was easily one of our best perimeter shooters at the end of last season. That will not be the reason he isn't an NBA prospect.

Man, we have a few really weird posts lately with people saying our players can't do the things they are great at.

Most of Berry's 3's were taken with a defender nowhere near him.17-48 35% , 4th of 6 players with a 3% stat , lower than Tokoto. Were you guys begging for J.P. to take more 3's last year? I think Berry had 4 or 5 in one game. I don't think any of the other teams exactly feared his 3 point shot. Too many people on this board just look at the % and not if it is really in his arsenal of weapons.. But my bad he shoots the 3 like a Curry.

Berry was easily one of our best perimeter shooters at the end of last season. That will not be the reason he isn't an NBA prospect.

Man, we have a few really weird posts lately with people saying our players can't do the things they are great at.
Great at??? Is everybody drinking tonight and leaving me out?

What do you got against berry?.....
Love Berry as a PG and hope he really steps up this year. He just isn't a great 3 point shooter and I don't think he will be ready for the NBA after this season or a 1st round draft pick after the season. I just live in Realville.

Love Berry as a PG and hope he really steps up this year. He just isn't a great 3 point shooter and I don't think he will be ready for the NBA after this season or a 1st round draft pick after the season. I just live in Realville.
Shot like 46% over the last 1/3rd of the season. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Speculating on who will/won't go pro early before any games have been played is not really healthy. None of our underclassmen are pushing Ben Simmons for a lottery pick so their status is very uncertain.

Coleman is a walk-on with a scholarship but he's also listed as a senior.

Not sure if Roy recruited Maye as a preferred walk-on or as a scholarship player. If the latter then I doubt Roy will give his scholly away. Don't know the status for Stillman.

So with what we know there are 4 seniors on scholarship and two players committed. 2 spots are up for grabs and everything else is hot air.

Just repeating from some posters above, if this becomes a "special" season (like '05 & '09) then we easily could see some underclassmen go. The good news is, some top recruits are waiting till spring to decide so, if there's a mass exodus, Roy might not get caught short like he was in '06.

Some of us never learn.

Marshall left. Bullock left. Tokoto left. There are many examples at other schools also.

How many times do we need to learn the same lesson? Many of these kids could care less what we think when saying they are not ready for the NBA. Think of it this way. If you had a chance to take a job that you always wanted, are you concerned what the opinions of the other people in your neighborhood about you pursuing this position? Heck no. Bottom line, you are going to do what you think is best for you and your family. If Paige and Brice would have had better seasons last year chances are both would have left last year. I take the approach every season that if a kid has a good year, he could be off to the NBA the next year. There are players that opt for the NBA every year that don't make it. Some don't even get drafted. They are pursuing their dreams. Bottom line, to assume that a player with certain limitations is not going to jump sets yourself up for disappointment. If the Heels win the title or make it to the Final Four, don't be surprised if there is a mass exodus. I hope not, but some of these kids don't think like the players did 20-30 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: RP12 and Archer2
Shot like 46% over the last 1/3rd of the season. Wake up and smell the coffee.
Wow huge sample size. I guess in a "win the game situation you want Berry taking the 3"? If so I am glad you aren't the HC. I like Berry but I am not there yet.

When discussing Berry let's not forget to talk about his winning pedigree:

3x Florida Mr. Basketball - only player in Florida history to accomplish this
2x State Champion
1x State Runner-Up
Peach Jam 17U Champ

So for me, despite any shooting percentage I absolutely want a kid with a history of winning with the ball in his hands late in the game.

Wow huge sample size. I guess in a "win the game situation you want Berry taking the 3"? If so I am glad you aren't the HC. I like Berry but I am not there yet.

He'd be my second choice behind Marcus. Not sure why you're hating on Berry so much.

I would have no problem with JB having the ball in his hands at winning time! He has proven that he can make the right decision in crunch time at every level. It is silly to limit what is possible, so I think if he decided to take the shot it would turn out well for UNC. I think JJ and MP are just as likely to make the right choice too so we have many good options for end game situations!

I love Paige and hope he's healthy, but I'd much prefer an under control and balanced Berry 3 at the end of a game than the Marcus at all costs shots we've seen at times the last two years.

Some of us never learn.

Marshall left. Bullock left. Tokoto left. There are many examples at other schools also.

How many times do we need to learn the same lesson? Many of these kids could care less what we think when saying they are not ready for the NBA. Think of it this way. If you had a chance to take a job that you always wanted, are you concerned what the opinions of the other people in your neighborhood about you pursuing this position? Heck no. Bottom line, you are going to do what you think is best for you and your family. If Paige and Brice would have had better seasons last year chances are both would have left last year. I take the approach every season that if a kid has a good year, he could be off to the NBA the next year. There are players that opt for the NBA every year that don't make it. Some don't even get drafted. They are pursuing their dreams. Bottom line, to assume that a player with certain limitations is not going to jump sets yourself up for disappointment. If the Heels win the title or make it to the Final Four, don't be surprised if there is a mass exodus. I hope not, but some of these kids don't think like the players did 20-30 years ago.

By that logic, then why don't we assume every player we recruit is just for one year? I mean, who's to say Luke Maye isn't one and done? Despite the obvious - that he is in no way an NBA player - I guess he could declare too. You know?..., it's probably always been a dream of his.

Where's Reggie Bullock? Where's JP Tokoto? How many teams has Marshall played for? Yes, there are examples all over the place of guys that went too early. But the overwhelming evidence suggests that it is not a good move to leave early. So whereas you can argue that Meeks might leave (and he might), the more likely scenario is that he doesn't. So it's far more reasonable for one to think that Meeks is back for a senior year based on his lack of athletic ability than it is to think he all of a sudden becomes DeAndre Jordan and jumps to the league after averaging 20 and 10 this season. But your comments make it sound like we're the ones being unreasonable when it's clearly your opinion that is the suspect one. Furthermore, there are usually extenuating circumstances that lead to a player declaring before "most" see them as ready. Reggie had a kid to provide for. Marshall had a serious injury and his whole team was leaving. And JP was apparently unhappy with his development. Those aren't normal circumstances. Again, you're making it sound like guys leaving before they're ready is the rule instead of the exception. Lastly, your analogy with regular folks taking a job despite others not thinking they're qualified doesn't work. The reason it doesn't work is because there is no downside to pursuing a job for a regular person. Let's assume that regular person currently has a job in the mail room and wants to apply for a C.E.O. position. He doesn't get it. Well, back to the mail room the next day. That's not the case for college basketball players. If they pursue a job as a professional basketball player, they don't get to go back to the mail room the next day. They're now without a "job" all together. That's a HUGE difference. It's such a big difference that if you're a player in that position, it might behoove you to listen to what many people think about your chances.

By that logic, then why don't we assume every player we recruit is just for one year? I mean, who's to say Luke Maye isn't one and done? Despite the obvious - that he is in no way an NBA player - I guess he could declare too. You know?..., it's probably always been a dream of his.

Where's Reggie Bullock? Where's JP Tokoto? How many teams has Marshall played for? Yes, there are examples all over the place of guys that went too early. But the overwhelming evidence suggests that it is not a good move to leave early. So whereas you can argue that Meeks might leave (and he might), the more likely scenario is that he doesn't. So it's far more reasonable for one to think that Meeks is back for a senior year based on his lack of athletic ability than it is to think he all of a sudden becomes DeAndre Jordan and jumps to the league after averaging 20 and 10 this season. But your comments make it sound like we're the ones being unreasonable when it's clearly your opinion that is the suspect one. Furthermore, there are usually extenuating circumstances that lead to a player declaring before "most" see them as ready. Reggie had a kid to provide for. Marshall had a serious injury and his whole team was leaving. And JP was apparently unhappy with his development. Those aren't normal circumstances. Again, you're making it sound like guys leaving before they're ready is the rule instead of the exception. Lastly, your analogy with regular folks taking a job despite others not thinking they're qualified doesn't work. The reason it doesn't work is because there is no downside to pursuing a job for a regular person. Let's assume that regular person currently has a job in the mail room and wants to apply for a C.E.O. position. He doesn't get it. Well, back to the mail room the next day. That's not the case for college basketball players. If they pursue a job as a professional basketball player, they don't get to go back to the mail room the next day. They're now without a "job" all together. That's a HUGE difference. It's such a big difference that if you're a player in that position, it might behoove you to listen to what many people think about your chances.

Gun, you make some good points. My point is that the days of being shocked when a player declares for the NBA when he not ready is becoming more and more common. We see it every year. The season concludes and almost every year there is a shocker. One thing we can't predict is how Meeks will perform this year. He could take that next step and be projected as a late first round pick. On the other hand, he may not improve over last year and his draft status gets worse. We just don't know. But many are saying he will definitely come back for his senior year. How do they know? I'm saying he may or may not come back. If the Heels win the title IMO opinion there will be a mass exodus. The Heels don't have any one-in-done players, but most of these players do not see themselves as 4-in-dones either. There is a cliche that goes "Watch what they do and not what they say". Roy is is trying his best to sign both Lauri and Udoka with Bradley already on board. Also, Giles is still out there even though UNC is apparently third on his list. If Meeks was a definite returnee, I just don't think Roy would not be busting his but to sign all the bigs.

....... If Meeks was a definite returnee, I just don't think Roy would not be busting his but to sign all the bigs.

Great observation.

You never know, Kennedy and Roy may have discussed this season and his goals for the year and Roy is now looking for 'insurance'

That doesn't mean Kennedy will go, or that he's in any way ready to go, but it could still be a goal of his (here in October) All athletes need to set lofty goals to work towards and, as long as it doesn't become a distraction, this is a pretty good one.

Gotta love this pic
3959606.jpg

Gun, you make some good points. My point is that the days of being shocked when a player declares for the NBA when he not ready is becoming more and more common. We see it every year. The season concludes and almost every year there is a shocker. One thing we can't predict is how Meeks will perform this year. He could take that next step and be projected as a late first round pick. On the other hand, he may not improve over last year and his draft status gets worse. We just don't know. But many are saying he will definitely come back for his senior year. How do they know? I'm saying he may or may not come back. If the Heels win the title IMO opinion there will be a mass exodus. The Heels don't have any one-in-done players, but most of these players do not see themselves as 4-in-dones either. There is a cliche that goes "Watch what they do and not what they say". Roy is is trying his best to sign both Lauri and Udoka with Bradley already on board. Also, Giles is still out there even though UNC is apparently third on his list. If Meeks was a definite returnee, I just don't think Roy would not be busting his but to sign all the bigs.
We have a verbal from one big.

ya know guys, I could be having a great day going on and read these threads lately and find the need to climb a tall bridge & jump off!

Do you folks realize, that even with the talent we have that it is UNC that is the pre-season #1 ranked team in the country? Yet all I see is doom & gloom over recruiting? How good would we have been the last 2 years had PJ not messed up, think of PJ playing beside marcus? Imagine had this team not had to deal with Marcus being hurt all last season? Do ya realize we lost nearly a month of practices due to not having Pgs available to run in practice?

My point is no, we have not got what we have been used to talent wise per the rankings and yet here we are, the pre-season number 1 team yet by the tone of UNC fans of late one would think we would be lucky to make the NIT?

Kindly excuse me if I elect to not participate in the gloom and depression, please forgive me for electing to be concerned with who we have more so than who we don't...

Where is the pride of being a Tar Heel, where is the joy of enjoying who we have ? We wil get players, do you doubt UNC wil get talented solid players? We may not get the top 5 kids, OK, we will compete with who we have and Roy wil fashion a solid team out of what we have. If we can stay healtly we wil be the team every one wants ot take out next season, we are the favorites to cut down the final nets folks , I would think that would be cause more for joy than all this damn depression everyone seems to intent to clinge on to.

Where is YOUR PRIDE, have the wuffies & the dukies convinced you that UNC sucks? Cause that is never going to be my mindset. I was born in to this world a Tar Heel and I wil leave it the same way, PROUD Tar Heel and I take a back seat to no one! Kid doesn't want to be a Tar Heel fine, I don't want him, go to duke, go any darn place, we don't need ya.

Dean sealed the deal with Rasheed with the line "we will win with you and we will win with out you, are you a winner or not" ! Well, what the heck are you???

Because we are preseason #1, and have the same team we had last year. That is why so much talk about 2016.

I believe we will be a better team, but there is a chance we are the same team as last year and most Tarheel fans like myself know that.

Because we are preseason #1, and have the same team we had last year. That is why so much talk about 2016.

I believe we will be a better team, but there is a chance we are the same team as last year and most Tarheel fans like myself know that.

Some others here are saying that our current UNC team already consists of 7-8 Nba ready players it seems (ready now!)... Same 'Ole Shtzzz...

Nope, not most tarheel fans. Some of us use common sense and believe 18, 19 year old kids are able to improve year to year. If you don't think Berry, Pinson and Jackson aren't going to be a lot better than their freshman year, sit back and enjoy.

Nope, not most tarheel fans. Some of us use common sense and believe 18, 19 year old kids are able to improve year to year. If you don't think Berry, Pinson and Jackson aren't going to be a lot better than their freshman year, sit back and enjoy.

Not to mention Hicks-Meeks and the addition of Williams & Maye.

I want everyone to take a step up and we go undefeated. If we don't hit the 3 ball, then we will be the same team. I only was saying that there is reason to talk 2016 recruits.

Nope, not most tarheel fans. Some of us use common sense

Improving naturally should happen each year (summer) for most. However, worrying about winning as well as worrying about the Nba, should not happen for 7-8 of our guys this year. Now, two or maybe three (Yes...)...

Define "a lot better" please. Or if you like, tell me how many of these players were "a lot better" after their freshman year:

Britt
Hicks
Johnson
Meeks
Paige
Tokoto

CC

Define "a lot better" please. Or if you like, tell me how many of these players were "a lot better" after their freshman year:

Britt
Hicks
Johnson
Meeks
Paige
Tokoto

CC

Haha ok, I will give quick samples because I don't feel like going through every stat, plus I figured the naked eye could see how much these kids have improved from their freshman years:

Paige shot about 35% from the floor his freshman year, sophmore year? 44%

Britt shot 25% from 3 point land his freshman year, last year 36%

Brice Johnson doubled his points and rebounds from freshman to sophmore year

Kennedy Meeks averaged 4 points more and shot a higher % from freshman to sophmore year

Isiah Hicks, 1.2 pts a game his freshman year, 6.6 last year, fg % from .41% to 54%

Tokoto's 3P% at UNC
9%
22%
37%

The improvement was easy to see. I don't know how peeps missed it.

Hope fully we will get two more recruits from those we all know and then enjoy this special season!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT