ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Class...

It ain't obvious until I say it is!!..I don't sugar coat nothing!!..believe it or not,these kids read this stuff..especially in this new world of social media..y'all saying that you don't want them and you'd rather have a 3-4 year player ..OK,they're like cool..I'll go somewhere else then..fans have just as much influence on these kids as do the coaches..the fans are social media!!..furthermore,if you don't like what I post,there's always the ignore button!!..I'm not here to make friends just to voice my opinion on certain topics whether you like it or not!!

Not saying the talent of the guys mentioned is not greater than our current players, but No in the "Carolina Way" I do not believe Roy would start any of them over the "talented" current players we have now.

I think most OAD undertsand that about Roy, and opt to start somewhere else. Again, I am not saying a OAD cannot start at UNC, but way to many current UNC guys who have college experience and talent for any OAD to start next year anyway.

Lets see now, a one & done is a freshman right? This past season we did not start a freshman, but who wants to argue a freshman should have started for us this past season? No offense to kenny or Luke but neither were ready to beat out Marcus & Nate at the 2 or Brice & Hicks at the 4. Don't think anyone would argue differently.

Aside from this past season, Justin started all season before as a frosh, Britt & Meeks started the season before that, marcus started the season before that...all as freshmen. So I struggle with this notion that Roy would not start one & done players when he clearly does start freshmen that are able to produce even those that are not done in 1. K has been getting all the one & doners he wants but the truth is it is very unlikely K would have ever allowed Kenny or Luke to see any court time other than mop up seconds with his walk ons and yet Roy had both of them in games at critical points.

Marvin was done in 1 and thou he did not start, he was our 6th man and played starter like minutes, it didn't hurt him in his NBA draft? Brandan Wright, our other done in 1er under Roy did start.

We have a paradox, a talented wing as a freshman next season has to deal with Justin, Theo, and BRob? Now if I am a wing that is a problem? A talented PG can see Joel, Nate, 7th, Stillman, yep, that is a problem to. A talented center or power forward looks at Meeks, Tony, and Hicks at the 2 front court positions and should see some PT but will be hard to beat out those guys for a starting job and usually the most PT is taken by 3 front court guys on most teams and UNC had 3 already.

Clearly this notion that Roy holds freshmen back is made up BS, freshmen have to be ready to produce and if they are Roy plays them, even those that are not ready to produce a lot still play under Roy.

Roy does not promise a kid he will start as a freshman, oh yeah I know, K has 3 freshmen leave after one and he gets noted as telling freshmen stars he will not promise them either but that frosh can see the open PT and does not have to be promised. Ingram saw duke had little length coming back, he knew he had a starters role waiting for him, ya really think Giles, Tatum, and Jackson don't see starter roles laid out for them without having to be promised it? They are chasing Bolden right now, ya think he does not know that dukes only center graduates in a few weeks and is off to the military? Ya really think he is scared of jefferson eating all his playing time? Yeah, you hard, that guy Jefferson, the great one, the reason duke fans believe they did not win the NCAAT this season, no matter that he has been a career role player, no matter the "OTHER" future great one at center in Jeter will pick up splinters from that bench unless he is smart enough to get out now. Yeah, he wasn't promised either nor was he developed. He is just the next guy that duke staff can point to and say, if you can beat out this chump you have a great chance of starting? Oh but K doesn't promise and Roy will not start freshmen? It is Roy that holds freshmen back and not K? BS !

It ain't obvious until I say it is!!..I don't sugar coat nothing!!..believe it or not,these kids read this stuff..especially in this new world of social media..y'all saying that you don't want them and you'd rather have a 3-4 year player ..OK,they're like cool..I'll go somewhere else then..fans have just as much influence on these kids as do the coaches..the fans are social media!!..furthermore,if you don't like what I post,there's always the ignore button!!..I'm not here to make friends just to voice my opinion on certain topics whether you like it or not!!
Surely you don't really think fans have as much influence on the decisions of these kids as coaches do. If so, I think you're grossly overestimating our impact. Do I think they read some of these forums? I think some certainly do. But I doubt a few fans saying they wouldn't start as a freshman has much, if any, impact on their college choice. Give them more credit than that.

I think they're looking at their relationship with the coach, the style of play, the availability of immediate PT, etc... They determine that by meeting with coaches, discussing who's returning and their potential role on the team. Some are lured by shoe money, some by guaranteed PT. But I think our opinion on whether they would start or not is irrelevant to them.

I'll repeat, your dig at Roy showed a total lack of class. If this great season proved nothing else, it showed Roy manages his teams as well as anybody. Perhaps you didn't notice that Isaiah couldn't walk on the court without picking up 2 fouls. When he wasn't in foul trouble, he got more burn. Unfortunately, he was usually in foul trouble.

He has NBA potential but we need him to be able to play 30 MPG. He hasn't shown that ability yet. Brice struggled with this for almost 3 years before it finally clicked for him. I expect it will finally click for Isaiah next year. I hope so because he will be our best inside scorer.

Reactions: DSouthrIsTheMan2
Turn on the Nike Hoops Summit right now and watch what Terrance Ferguson is doing. If he can't crack UNC's starting lineup, you guys should beat the Warriors

I agree with the opinion on Berry. OAD might be able to start at others positions but no way a point guard is taking that spot!!

Reactions: gary-7
I've never understood the thought that recruits/players/coaches ever read these message boards, and if they do that they care one iota about what is posted by anyone.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Terrance Ferguson would be a nice get because if you saw by the Hoop Summit game yesterday he has incredible range. Like PJ Hairston and JR Smith have. I personally think he is a better shooter at the same point in development as those guys. But the kid needs to improve his handle and off the bounce game along with strength. Right now he is a highly athletic 3 and D guy which UNC could use but I am not sure he is a sure fire OAD talent with as strong as this current frosh crop coming in will be.

I am sure someone will use a 1st round pick on him next year if he comes out. But I think it's a mid to late 1st round pick at this point of his development. Not a sure fire lotto guy right now , but the kinda guy at least couple of years in college he will be a top 10 pick if healthy.

Terrance Ferguson would be a nice get because if you saw by the Hoop Summit game yesterday he has incredible range. Right now he is a highly athletic 3 and D guy which UNC could use but I am not sure he is a sure fire OAD talent with as strong as this current frosh crop coming in will be.

Make no mistake, he wants NOTHING but the 2 spot.

Make no mistake, he wants NOTHING but the 2 spot.
Make no mistake he would start at the 2 guard spot along side Berry from day 1. Berry,Ferguson,Jackson, Hicks and Meeks would be a very good starting lineup. Also Roy could go small with Pinson or Jackson moonlighting at the 4 spot for a few minutes.

Make no mistake he would start at the 2 guard spot along side Berry from day 1. Berry,Ferguson,Jackson, Hicks and Meeks would be a very good starting lineup. Also Roy could go small with Pinson or Jackson moonlighting at the 4 spot for a few minutes.

Think so too, just not sure about his D and can he do it against hi level ACC defenders. But man, that would be some serious size starting!

Reactions: Archer2
moo can offer Ferguson a guaranteed starting spot and other teams that I am not familiar with may be able also. I hear the Martin twins are transferring and moo has only signed Dennis Smith for next year so their roster is very thin. I also wonder what was Ferguson's reason for de-committing from Bama? Arizona seems to be leader and I don't really know who is coming and going for them..

Really...??

Really! Have you checked out Freshman on D lately. They are generally out of position.

Good conversation, but my opinion and position remain the same. In our current situation rather it was the past season or next year "I DON'T THINK" a freshman starts.

As far as recruits reading message boards. Kids today think message boards are outdated. They use so many other social media that I have never heard of. Message boards although great for me, might be becoming outdated for 16-18 year olds.

Y'all remember Vince's freshman year? Dean would send him in, he would make a SPECTACULAR play on Go back and play no D and back on the pine he went!

Roy learned from the best.

One of Ferguson's best assets is his defense. High school and college coaches who have seen him rave about his length,shooting and defense.

One of Ferguson's best assets is his defense. High school and college coaches who have seen him rave about his length,shooting and defense.

Awesome!

Just don't get your hopes to high UNLESS he does visit and it's a knockout.

Welp. ..................................... THEY DO and so do their parents. Butters dad was posting on 4 Corners.

Is that the only one, or is it a regular thing? And to the point of my post, did he care what people posted on here? I can't imagine him getting too bent out of shape if some anonymous poster said something he didn't necessarily agree with.

Active parents not real common but also not unheard of. ANY parent is going to care deeply what is said about their kid. Many players read but seldom comment. Twitter the exception. Many times we tend to forget these are 17-20 year olds and subject to do dumb things. Remember how you were?

Is that the only one, or is it a regular thing? And to the point of my post, did he care what people posted on here? I can't imagine him getting too bent out of shape if some anonymous poster said something he didn't necessarily agree with.
C'MON..you know it's not the only one...in the world of social media?

C'MON..you know it's not the only one...in the world of social media?

I'm not talking about social media. I'm talking about players getting upset about what they read from anonymous posters on this message board. I don't know about you, but I'd like to think our players have thicker skin than that. Unless you're one of the ones that think they're soft....

I'm not talking about social media. I'm talking about players getting upset about what they read from anonymous posters on this message board. I don't know about you, but I'd like to think our players have thicker skin than that. Unless you're one of the ones that think they're soft....
Nice try!!

Go tell it to Ty Lawson! He was VERY upset with folk questioning his tuffness when he injured his big toe. FACT!

Reactions: HEELS1984
In the podcast Clint said we are probably done for 2016 other than a grad transfer or coaching change causes a release. He said he hasn't talked to one credible source that thinks we have a real shot at Ferguson and it's probably between AZ , KU and Baylor. We also are no longer recruiting Rakocevic.

Sorta what I've been feelin' for a while now 58. I truly think everybody with eligibility comes back, the possible exception being JJ. If so, I think we're in good shape. A top 10 of:

Meeks(s)
Hicks(s)
JJ(s)
Pinson(s?)
Berry(s)
Bradley
Maye
Robinson(s?)
Woods
Britt

would be pretty stout with a good combination of experience and talent.

Didn't Sharon Drew post on 4Corners once or twice after Larry abandoned the Heels . . ? I know she was a big hit over on another premium board.

Last edited:
Sorta what I've been feelin' for a while now 58. I truly think everybody with eligibility comes back, the possible exception being JJ. If so, I think we're in good shape. A top 10 of:

Meeks(s)
Hicks(s)
JJ(s)
Pinson(s?)
Berry(s)
Bradley
Maye
Robinson(s?)
Woods
Britt

would be pretty stout with a good combination of experience and talent.

Did you forget about Kenny or do you just not think he will be in the top 10?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT