ADVERTISEMENT

Religion of Peace.....

Originally posted by strummingram:
Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
I root for the home team even if I don't always like the style they play.
If this were a soccer match, or some kind of sporting event, that would be a valid and fairly safe approach. It's nowhere near that simple an the consequences are also not the same. And, "not always liking their style of play" is what is causing the biggest threat to the rest of the home team fans! Unfortunately, too many people view it in this way. It's kind of the same simple and naive way people view religion, too! Their predisposition to Tribalism is the real culprit, I think. The overall Tribe is getting bigger and the different Tribes are getting fewer. Root for the human race, not just the ones on the same plot of land as you. It's a very hard thing to do, I know. Believe it or not, there are ones on your plot of land (that look like you, talk like you and even like the same sports teams) that could do you just as much harm as those you've been told are on the opposing team.
Uh-huh,...uh-huh,...well, nonetheless, I'm still rooting for the home team.

You see, I like mankind. But I only have so much of a sh*t to give. So with that in mind, the first sh*t I give is about my family. The next sh*t I give is about my friends. The next sh*t I give is about my neighbors. Next, it's fellow Virginians. After that, it's fellow Americans. And if there's any sh*t left to give, I'll toss some towards the remaining fellow mankind from all corners of the Earth. But make no mistake, they get the leftovers if there are any.

Originally posted by tarheelbybirth:

You probably could have saved some bandwidth and yourself from catching a lot of grief had you just linked one of the many articles you say are out there condemning the attack. You'll probably respond by saying, "you do your own research" or something like that. But I'm just saying, if all those articles are so easily found, you would have posted one. I'm certain of it.
Here ya go:

Muslim leaders condemn Paris attacks
Unfortunately, even some of those comments included double-speak and rationalizations. I heard Fareed Zakaria talking about this on CNN this morning, and he made some interesting points relative to this particular attack and the concept of blasphemy in the Muslim world. I think the number was something like 20 people on death row in Pakistan for blasphemy. And recent polling showed like 70+% approval for the death penalty as punishment for blasphemy. That's just in Pakistan, but such laws are in place in numerous countries across the Middle East and have similar popular support.

One can acknowledge the fact that most terrorism is Islamist in nature, and discuss the underlying causes of that fact, without arguing that most Muslims are terrorists. However, it's also fair to discuss the fact that, while most Muslims don't support terrorism, far too many Muslims support such terrifying policies as a state-sponsored death penalty for blasphemy. If you accept that blasphemers deserve death, then what happened in Paris becomes a case of citizen's justice--a vigilante who took the law into his own hands, rather than a barbarous murder. And that's why the condemnations always sound a bit muted--a bit half-hearted.

You probably could have saved some bandwidth and yourself from catching a lot of grief had you just linked one of the many articles you say are out there condemning the attack. You'll probably respond by saying, "you do your own research" or something like that. But I'm just saying, if all those articles are so easily found, you would have posted one. I'm certain of it.
Here ya go:

Thank you Linky Linkerson. I can always count on you.

For the record, I never said there wasn't any condemnation from muslim leaders. I just said that it would have behooved LTH to post a link rather than just to say they're out there. But you came through and saved the day. Way to go!

Originally posted by ms4211:

Here ya go:

Unfortunately, even some of those comments included double-speak and rationalizations. I heard Fareed Zakaria talking about this on CNN this morning, and he made some interesting points relative to this particular attack and the concept of blasphemy in the Muslim world. I think the number was something like 20 people on death row in Pakistan for blasphemy. And recent polling showed like 70+% approval for the death penalty as punishment for blasphemy. That's just in Pakistan, but such laws are in place in numerous countries across the Middle East and have similar popular support.

One can acknowledge the fact that most terrorism is Islamist in nature, and discuss the underlying causes of that fact, without arguing that most Muslims are terrorists. However, it's also fair to discuss the fact that, while most Muslims don't support terrorism, far too many Muslims support such terrifying policies as a state-sponsored death penalty for blasphemy. If you accept that blasphemers deserve death, then what happened in Paris becomes a case of citizen's justice--a vigilante who took the law into his own hands, rather than a barbarous murder. And that's why the condemnations always sound a bit muted--a bit half-hearted.
Well stated.

Originally posted by lovetheHeels!:

Originally posted by bluetoe:

Originally posted by GACMAN:
Condemnation of this act is coming in from all across the Globe by Muslim Leaders.....NOT!
You need to learn how to look harder.
you need to see through to the nuts and bolts of condemnation. There isn't any condemnation that substantially amounts to a committment to eliminate or at least ostracize what is ostensibly going to be characterized, as is the routine, as non-representative of Islam. That's because there is no Muslim element that is non-representative of it. This is as much culture vs. culture as anything else, and I'll bet the farm that there are far more Muslims secretly (and not so secretly) feeling satisfaction that the fun-makers got some comeuppance than there are Muslims pissed off that some followers chose a convenient interpretation in order to justify said comeuppance.
I can see just fine thanks.

This " I'll bet the farm that there are far more Muslims secretly (and not so secretly) feeling satisfaction that the fun-makers got some comeuppance than there are Muslims pissed off that some followers chose a convenient interpretation in order to justify said comeuppance" makes you unable to see any of this "condemnation that substantially amounts to a committment to eliminate or at least ostracize what is ostensibly going to be characterized, as is the routine, as non-representative of Islam."
Nope, I can see just fine too. So why don't you show me something other than condemnation talk which we all know is cheap. Condemning something....actually just saying
you condemn something.....and doing something to back that up are two
entirely different things. SHOW ME where some movement is underway
within the Muslim populace to throttle these supposed loose cannons, and
I'll then consider you something other than gullible for believing
anything just because you want to believe it. Show me where this 'lunatic fringe' is actually despised and castigated in some meaningful, physical way by a large share of the Muslim world and I'll acknowledge that the terrorists aren't operating on a cushion of at worst silent support. You can't do it. Your talk is also cheap.

Originally posted by DeanFor President:
Some of these people will continue to say that Islam is peaceful right up until the moment the blade touches their neck.
For the record, I don't think a single person here has referred to Islam as peaceful except GAC doing so sarcastically. Unless of course you're referring to some other group, which you might be.

The look of astonishment on their soon- to- be- lifeless faces will be priceless.
Really? You'd find pleasure in someone's death because you'd be able to say I-told-you-so? That seems as perverse as killing someone over a cartoon.

Originally posted by ms4211:

If you accept that blasphemers deserve death, then what happened in Paris becomes a case of citizen's justice--a vigilante who took the law into his own hands, rather than a barbarous murder. And that's why the condemnations always sound a bit muted--a bit half-hearted.
Good post. This is the point I was trying to make with the abortion doctor murder analogy, although I'll readily concede that there obviously isn't state-sponsored support for such a thing. Thanks for the perspective.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Some of these people will continue to say that Islam is peaceful right up until the moment the blade touches their neck.
For the record, I don't think a single person here has referred to Islam as peaceful except GAC doing so sarcastically. Unless of course you're referring to some other group, which you might be.

For the record, I am saying Islam I a peaceful religion. ALL of the major religions promote peaceful existence and carry basically the exact same message. As I stated in my first post in the thread; the religion is not the problem. CERTAIN PEOPLE IN THE RELIGIONS are the problem. I think maybe somehow they are convinced that each religion has a different God.

Hey, look at the Aryan Brotherhood and Aryan Nation, and almost every white supremacist group! They are emphatic about doing God's work and they claim to be disciples of Jesus Christ. GACMAN, you'd better get busy blasting these people to Hell and back.

Condemnation of this act is coming in from all across the Globe by Muslim Leaders.....NOT!
you need to see through to the nuts and bolts of condemnation. There isn't any condemnation that substantially amounts to a committment to eliminate or at least ostracize what is ostensibly going to be characterized, as is the routine, as non-representative of Islam. That's because there is no Muslim element that is non-representative of it. This is as much culture vs. culture as anything else, and I'll bet the farm that there are far more Muslims secretly (and not so secretly) feeling satisfaction that the fun-makers got some comeuppance than there are Muslims pissed off that some followers chose a convenient interpretation in order to justify said comeuppance.

This " I'll bet the farm that there are far more Muslims secretly (and not so secretly) feeling satisfaction that the fun-makers got some comeuppance than there are Muslims pissed off that some followers chose a convenient interpretation in order to justify said comeuppance" makes you unable to see any of this "condemnation that substantially amounts to a committment to eliminate or at least ostracize what is ostensibly going to be characterized, as is the routine, as non-representative of Islam."
Nope, I can see just fine too. So why don't you show me something other than condemnation talk which we all know is cheap. Condemning something....actually just saying
anything just because you want to believe it. Show me where this 'lunatic fringe' is actually despised and castigated in some meaningful, physical way by a large share of the Muslim world and I'll acknowledge that the terrorists aren't operating on a cushion of at worst silent support. You can't do it. Your talk is also cheap.
I'll be the first to say that a lot of the Muslim populace needs to do more, but that was not the point of my post which was obvious. You are choosing to make my point into something that it's not which is fine if you want to go that route although I don't appreciate the condescending attitude you are taking to make your point. Kind of takes away from your point.

For the record, I am saying Islam I a peaceful religion. ALL of the major religions promote peaceful existence and carry basically the exact same message. As I stated in my first post in the thread; the religion is not the problem. CERTAIN PEOPLE IN THE RELIGIONS are the problem. I think maybe somehow they are convinced that each religion has a different God.

Hey, look at the Aryan Brotherhood and Aryan Nation, and almost every white supremacist group! They are emphatic about doing God's work and they claim to be disciples of Jesus Christ. GACMAN, you'd better get busy blasting these people to Hell and back.
You clearly haven't read the book. That might help you. And make sure you understand the meaning in Islam of the word abrogation before you start. That will help even more.

You clearly haven't read the book. That might help you. And make sure you understand the meaning in Islam of the word abrogation before you start. That will help even more.
What book? The Q'uran? No, I've not read the entire book, nor have you. And, you know what? If we both read it, we would come away with our own unique interpretation. That's what PEOPLE do. The religion itself, however, like almost all religions, promotes peace and understanding and a path to know God. Religions are man-made and the people who subscribe to them have a tendency to want to insist that "Our version is the only CORRECT version." You can't even get people of the same religion to agree on most things, which, to me, is part of the problem with religion and the people in them. I see dozens and dozens of denominations in Protestantism alone. Apparently, overtly-religious people can't stand for other people to reach God through a different way or means than how they do it. But, these Muslim people who act-out by murdering other people in the name of their God is not an indication that the religion is violent. It's an indication that those individuals are violent.

You guys that parrot these radio and TV personalities- who are literally charlatans that are make a killing at your expense- just sit around buying-in to the bullshit they peddle and perpetuate it. If you went out and actually met and got to know some Muslims, you'd have a better understanding and a personal precedent. That takes too much effort and you've decided to put your trust in these political pundits and charlatans who have one purpose- Perpetuate this agenda so they can make a lucrative paycheck.

I'll be the first to say that a lot of the Muslim populace needs to do more, but that was not the point of my post which was obvious. You are choosing to make my point into something that it's not which is fine if you want to go that route although I don't appreciate the condescending attitude you are taking to make your point. Kind of takes away from your point.
I think as far as condescension, it's pot kettle black. And I do wish you'd explain what point you were making that I made into something else. I can't see it. I started out expressing that condemnation talk is meaningless.

Good article, imo.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ayaan-hirsi-ali-how-to-answer-the-paris-terror-attack-1420672114

What book? The Q'uran? No, I've not read the entire book, nor have you. And, you know what? If we both read it, we would come away with our own unique interpretation. That's what PEOPLE do. The religion itself, however, like almost all religions, promotes peace and understanding and a path to know God. Religions are man-made and the people who subscribe to them have a tendency to want to insist that "Our version is the only CORRECT version." You can't even get people of the same religion to agree on most things, which, to me, is part of the problem with religion and the people in them. I see dozens and dozens of denominations in Protestantism alone. Apparently, overtly-religious people can't stand for other people to reach God through a different way or means than how they do it. But, these Muslim people who act-out by murdering other people in the name of their God is not an indication that the religion is violent. It's an indication that those individuals are violent.

You guys that parrot these radio and TV personalities- who are literally charlatans that are make a killing at your expense- just sit around buying-in to the bullshit they peddle and perpetuate it. If you went out and actually met and got to know some Muslims, you'd have a better understanding and a personal precedent. That takes too much effort and you've decided to put your trust in these political pundits and charlatans who have one purpose- Perpetuate this agenda so they can make a lucrative paycheck.
What a scream....everyone is gullible and easily taken in EXCEPT FOR YOU!! Hilarious. You have no idea WHAT I have read, yet you think you do. You have no clue as to where and how people form their opinions, and which sources they trust- but you are convinced that you do. You think everyone that doesn't agree with YOU is getting their information from some source you deem to be compromised for one reason or another. Where are YOU getting your information? Whose agenda are YOU perpetuating. Whose lackey are you? I'm sure you're convinced that you have the ultimate BS filter, and you and only you are enlightened enough to see through the fog as you condescend to everyone else. I've got news for you- you are grossly under-informed about Islam, and it's dictates. You are woefully under-informed about the Quran if you don't realize that the parts that not only condone, but DEMAND violence against the infidel, are not ambiguous and are not subject to wide variances in interpretation. They are abundantly clear and direct. The imams preach the violence. Anjem Choudary will openly tell you that Islam does not mean peace- it means submission. To a muslim, peace is possible only when there is no other god worshipped on earth but Allah. They do not try to hide this. Look it up. But too many here and abroad, in their dhimmitude, refuse to wake up, refuse to hold them accountable, and refuse to see Islam for what it is, and what it has been for 1400 years- a socio- political religious and cultural dogma that will not accept the rights of non Muslims to exist without subjugation by Islam.
The coffee is percolating, you really should wake up and smell it. Meeting and having a cup of tea with the nice Muslim man in your neighborhood or your office does not qualify as educating yourself about Islam.

What a scream....everyone is gullible and easily taken in EXCEPT FOR YOU!! Hilarious.
I too have always found that funny. I've challenged him on the same in the past. He says all of us stupid people buy into the propaganda while his intellectually superior self is above that. But an easy argument is made that he's just buying into different propaganda. He doesn't see it that way because he read Orwell.

If u completely 100% devote your life to serving Christ as defined in the bible u become a missionary seems to me. Whereas if u do the same for muhammed as defined in the koran u enforce sharia law.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

What a scream....everyone is gullible and easily taken in EXCEPT FOR YOU!! Hilarious.
I too have always found that funny. I've challenged him on the same in the past. He says all of us stupid people buy into the propaganda while his intellectually superior self is above that. But an easy argument is made that he's just buying into different propaganda. He doesn't see it that way because he read Orwell.
I've never, ever claimed to be the lone enlightened one. There are legions of people who don't shiver and shake in fear from the bullshit these pundits peddle.

My guess would be Chomsky, another falsely superior pseudo intellectual
If you wanna live in fear of Islam and all Muslims, be my guest.

Why are we just now hearing that the mag editor and the only woman killed at the office were jews when other women were spared for "being women"? Trying to suppress the islamo fascist element of the story perhaps? And oh yea, the grocery store owner and workers that were killed were jewish. Wow.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

but a cunning linguist is he

and how about the incompetence of the french police? they let these people cruise around in the same car for nearly two days the whole time staying within 25 miles then lose them in a wooded area? but the worse- watch the groc store scene where the swat team goes in. they raise the door and one guy goes in but the others dont follow! they freeze when shots get fired and they cower outside! and the poor slob that went in by himself got shot! no wonder they surrender every war!

All Jewish shops, synagogues were ordered closed for their own safety. There are reports that there was a mass exodus of Jews from Paris during the crisis...

If you wanna live in fear of Islam and all Muslims, be my guest.
There is no fear, mon frere. just the awareness and common sense to recognize a threat when it presents itself.
And it's certainly not all Muslims. Just the small minority, you know, the ten or fifteen percent.
But out of two billion, fifteen percent is 300 million.
Then there's the silent majority who quietly approve of what the crazies are doing and pass out
candy when they slaughter some infidels.
In the supposedly secularized Muslim majority countries, 75% favor the
death penalty for leaving Islam. Nice moderate folks you got there. Been reading that
peace teaching Quran, obviously

I have to comment on the absurdity. It should be apparent that 'the police' isn't responsible for putting a chokehold on some particular obese guy (not saying that's what I believe), but rather 'a policeman', an individual who happened to be a member of 'the police' was. Obviously, many other members of the police would have acted differently. But wait. It should also be apparent that the idea that being a policeman carries with it the need to put one's life on the line has gradually been somewhat supplanted by an us against them attitude, where within the police community the wagons have been circled and a self-protective mentality of shoot first ask later has crept in. So no, of course 'the police'...a concept, an intangible....isn't directly responsible for any particular kind of behavior or individual act; but being a policeman...a real thing....can allow a group mentality to affect oneself and the behavior of many members. You can say exactly the same thing about being in the Klan. 'The Klan' hasn't harmed anything, but it's members sure have wreaked some havoc...and only an idiot would deny that membership in the Klan isn't an influence, in this case a frequently destructive one. When one becomes part of any organization, the collective attitude and tenets of that organization are powerfully pressed onto the minds of members to the extent that often the only way to resist indoctrination is to quit. Well, imagine if one wanted to quit the police force but 'the police' have an unofficial policy of killing anyone who tries to do so.

So please explain how the religion of Islam isn't a problem, when its members repeatedly find in it the incentive to commit heinous acts of mass destruction and individual atrocity. I'm not religious and I try to resist being a homer for the religions that happen to be associated with my country and my life, but how far do you have to stick your head up your own ass to keep from seeing that Islam singularly has elements of world conquest and conversion-or-death to infidels and in general an attitude that you're not just better off being Muslim, but you damn well better be Muslim. I love Jesus, whether he lived as described or not. Nowhere have I seen any indication that Jesus wanted me to kill those who insulted him. He told me what I needed to do to be righteous and that did not involve me imposing myself on anyone else or even judging them. You can follow the teachings of Jesus and co-exist peacefully with others as long as they aren't trying to impose themselves on you. That is what I call promoting peace. That's why I love him.

The problem is basically cultural, but the culture is strongly centered on a cancer of a religion. Cancerous to those who love their freedom and the ability act freely without fear of reprisal from those who choose to be offended. The people who detest violence and war are responsible for most of the bloodshed in history. That's because they are the ones who constantly rationalize away the real threats that stare them in the face and refuse to endorse any action that might reduce those threats, until war becomes necessary....if it isn't already by then too late. What if those European countries had seen the writing on the wall when they were opening the doors wide open to those who practice 'The Religion of Peace'.

And before someone decides that they're really smart and wants to point out that my Jesus-based POV involves being judgemental and suggests taking actions that might be non-peaceful, go ahead and try me. Jesus had plenty to say about not being an idiot.

.........and in related news, the athletic directors of all the SEC schools gathered at an annual conference to denounce cheating....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT