ADVERTISEMENT

Rich Harvard Alum Will Provide $25 Million per Year in NIL...

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
... to the Chess team.

Seriously, though, I'm betting there are a lot of wealthy Harvard alumni who could really help out Tommy Amaker . . . if they wanted to.

The point isn't about Harvard, but the chance that a few alumni with deep pockets might vault minor schools into the NCAA tournament.

While that might be fun to watch, would that be a good thing?

... to the Chess team.

Seriously, though, I'm betting there are a lot of wealthy Harvard alumni who could really help out Tommy Amaker . . . if they wanted to.

The point isn't about Harvard, but the chance that a few alumni with deep pockets might vault minor schools into the NCAA tournament.

While that might be fun to watch, would that be a good thing?
I'll bet if you're Rutgers it feels like a good thing.

They signed the # 2 & 3 rated recruits this year and it sure isn't because of the Rutgers Family or tradition. I'm guessing those two boys have lucrative NIL deals and that without them, Rutgers doesn't get a return phone call, much less a commitment.

On the other hand, St. Johns supposedly has the mega rich donor who was offering to buy players but I haven't heard squat from them related to signing players this portal season.

I think it's small thinking to only identify alumni as potential NIL supporters. There are many wealthy people with no college affiliation that could be courted to support UNC's NIL efforts. If that's even how it works. I've asked several times now for someone to answer some NIL related questions and no one is willing to do so. Yet, many seem to have all the answers in these discussions.

Eric Church, Luke Combs, Lil Wayne, Ric Flair and Brooklyn Decker are all self-proclaimed Tar Heel fans and people with the means to support our NIL efforts. Not to mention all the "influencers". Mr. Beast is NC based so there's a connection right there. But there are plenty of people with no affiliation that would love to be celebrated by a college program.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I think it's small thinking to only identify alumni as potential NIL supporters. There are many wealthy people with no college affiliation that could be courted to support UNC's NIL efforts. If that's even how it works. I've asked several times now for someone to answer some NIL related questions and no one is willing to do so. Yet, many seem to have all the answers in these discussions.

Eric Church, Luke Combs, Lil Wayne, Ric Flair and Brooklyn Decker are all self-proclaimed Tar Heel fans and people with the means to support our NIL efforts. Not to mention all the "influencers". Mr. Beast is NC based so there's a connection right there. But there are plenty of people with no affiliation that would love to be celebrated by a college program.
First thing youve posted that i agree with

First thing youve posted that i agree with

gosh-lovely.gif

J Cole as well.

I'm getting disgusted with the whole darn thing and quite honestly loosing my interest in college sports which meant a great deal to me only a year or so ago.
It's requiring a mental/attitude adjustment, for sure, but I'm thinking most of us will make the transition.

Having a decent last season (notwithstanding the early ejection) helps. More of the same (with perhaps a later departure) will make the adjustment easier.

Winning makes a difference.

The transition here and at some other schools is exacerbated by coaching changes. One change at a time is easier to handle.

I'll bet if you're Rutgers it feels like a good thing.

They signed the # 2 & 3 rated recruits this year and it sure isn't because of the Rutgers Family or tradition. I'm guessing those two boys have lucrative NIL deals and that without them, Rutgers doesn't get a return phone call, much less a commitment.

On the other hand, St. Johns supposedly has the mega rich donor who was offering to buy players but I haven't heard squat from them related to signing players this portal season.
I see St John's picked up a couple more transfers in recent days. Up to 4, now; after losing 3 to the portal. A net gain, and they got decent players. Yet I would have expected Pitino to be vying for the very top talent - especially if he has deep pockets - and that doesn't seem to be the case.

J Cole as well.
I see St John's picked up a couple more transfers in recent days. Up to 4, now; after losing 3 to the portal. A net gain, and they got decent players. Yet I would have expected Pitino to be vying for the very top talent - especially if he has deep pockets - and that doesn't seem to be the case.

J. Cole actually attended St. John's. Don't know how connected to the program he is though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT