ADVERTISEMENT

Rose Bowl offenses

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
I think most people expected UGA's running game to drive back the OU D, as it has. And many of us expected the OU offense to keep the UGA D off balance starting with a precision passing game, as it has.

What may have surprised many people is that on its 2nd possession, OU ran the ball down UGA's throat. That happened because the OU passing game, with a QB who has 'touch' and accuracy and can read pass defenses, forces Ds to spread the field, with DBs and even LBs backing up - which opens the field for the OU RBs.

The Fedora offense has neither of those features.

Following is a quote from a poster elsewhere: "I'm not sure I've ever seen a bigger circus than our QB situation this year, from the decision to start a grad transfer of questionable skills in the first place, to the ill-fated alternating QB scheme, to inserting Surratt and then immediately making him the ONLY threat in the offensive game plan, to never giving Byrd a snap, to inserting Elliot and having him be a game manager rather than the primary running threat like Harris and Surratt were asked to be. The whole thing was a disaster, and at the single most important position in all of sports.

For that matter, I'm still struggling a little to understand how the #2 pick in the NFL draft only started one year for us. If alternating QB's was a bad idea then, with two very different QB styles and skills, why did the coaching staff think it was a good idea this year with two players of nearly identical skill sets?

Can you hear me scratching my head? Or pounding it on a wall next to the TV?"

I can explain every bit of it, because it all adds up with one explanation. Fedora's idea - IDEA perhaps in the Platonic sense of the abstract eternal perfection - is the backyard QB, which means an NFL caliber QB isn't playing as a long as a running backyard Q is available. Fedora (rather desperately, I say) seems to want his QB to be the primary running threat, which will mean the RBs are ancillary and the WRs hopefully will be good enough to get wide open so the star running QB can hit them.

And that is what will always limit his offense. Because it can never deliver either what UGA has or what OU has. The Fedora offense is about the backyard QB who will be the primary running threat, and at times at least seemingly 'the ONLY threat in the offensive game plan.' And that will mean we have a difficult time signing top RBs, which will reinforce the Fedora proclivity to expect his QB to be the primary running threat.

Gunter Brewer has been the primary source of making certain Fedora's offense has been as threatening as it has been, because Brewer as WR coach has done an amazing job. We have 4th team WRs - even counting 3 WRs per team - who run such nice routes and have good enough hands to make catches when in games that they could be regular-playing 2nd stringers on bowl teams.

That happened because the OU passing game, with a QB who has 'touch' and accuracy and can read pass defenses, forces Ds to spread the field, with DBs and even LBs backing up - which opens the field for the OU RBs.

You mean 2017 only, capt obvious? Cuz i'm pretty sure Renner, Austin Davis, and many of Fed's former qb's had plenty of touch, accuracy, ability to read, etc.

The Fedora offense is about the backyard QB who will be the primary running threat, and at times at least seemingly 'the ONLY threat in the offensive game plan.' And that will mean we have a difficult time signing top RBs, which will reinforce the Fedora proclivity to expect his QB to be the primary running threat.
2015, as a sophomore, Hood had 17 TD and 1463 yards rushing! Look at Gio's numbers. Recruits know they can have massive productivity as an RB in this offense, it is why 4* backs like Leddie Brown, Adarius Lemons, and Devon Lawrence want to come here.

Guess who is running their QB much more than Fedora?
Clemson top Rusher - QB Kelly B
Bama's top Rusher - QB Jalen Hurts (last yr too)
Virginia Tech's top Rusher - QB Jackson (last yrs was their QB)
UCF's QB Mckenzie was the leading ball carrier vs Auburn.

At Miami, TCU, Ohio State, Missisippi St, UCF the top carrier only has a few more carries per game than the QB. If Brandon Wimbush hadn't been injured he'd probably come close to tying Adams as the lead carrier for Notre.

2015 Hood had 219, Marquise had 158 (same ration as Gallman/Deshaun Watson 224 to 165).

The above are all from the CFP top 25, they have no problem recruiting good backs or winning games.

Last edited:
Lol i remember fed doggedly calling the qb’s number on runs a few years ago when we had some white guy at qb whom i cant even remember his name and ran the 40 in like two weeks.

Lol i remember fed doggedly calling the qb’s number on runs a few years ago when we had some white guy at qb whom i cant even remember his name and ran the 40 in like two weeks.
Doggedly?

Fromm had 4 rushes, Mayfield had 12 in this game for a total of 1 yard. Woad is using this as some ideal QB usage, and these guys are running more than Bryn Renner.

fun fact - at Oklahoma 2015, Baker Mayfield rushed the ball 141 times, just a handful fewer than Marquise that same yr.

Doggedly?

Fromm had 4 rushes, Mayfield had 12 in this game for a total of 1 yard. Woad is using this as some ideal QB usage, and these guys are running more than Bryn Renner.

Yes renner thats it! Lol. Fed would call his number a half dz times a game it seemed. I think he avg like half a yd per carry.

I think it's fine for the QB to rush the ball several times a game as long as it's in the offensive scheme. That's different than panicking and just taking off on pass plays.

I think most people expected UGA's running game to drive back the OU D, as it has. And many of us expected the OU offense to keep the UGA D off balance starting with a precision passing game, as it has.

What may have surprised many people is that on its 2nd possession, OU ran the ball down UGA's throat. That happened because the OU passing game, with a QB who has 'touch' and accuracy and can read pass defenses, forces Ds to spread the field, with DBs and even LBs backing up - which opens the field for the OU RBs.

Following is a quote from a poster elsewhere: "I'm not sure I've ever seen a bigger circus than our QB situation this year, from the decision to start a grad transfer of questionable skills in the first place, to the ill-fated alternating QB scheme, to inserting Surratt and then immediately making him the ONLY threat in the offensive game plan, to never giving Byrd a snap, to inserting Elliot and having him be a game manager rather than the primary running threat like Harris and Surratt were asked to be. The whole thing was a disaster, and at the single most important position in all of sports.

For that matter, I'm still struggling a little to understand how the #2 pick in the NFL draft only started one year for us. If alternating QB's was a bad idea then, with two very different QB styles and skills, why did the coaching staff think it was a good idea this year with two players of nearly identical skill sets?

Can you hear me scratching my head? Or pounding it on a wall next to the TV?"

I can explain every bit of it, because it all adds up with one explanation. Fedora's idea - IDEA perhaps in the Platonic sense of the abstract eternal perfection - is the backyard QB, which means an NFL caliber QB isn't playing as a long as a running backyard Q is available. Fedora (rather desperately, I say) seems to want his QB to be the primary running threat, which will mean the RBs are ancillary and the WRs hopefully will be good enough to get wide open so the star running QB can hit them.

And that is what will always limit his offense. Because it can never deliver either what UGA has or what OU has. The Fedora offense is about the backyard QB who will be the primary running threat, and at times at least seemingly 'the ONLY threat in the offensive game plan.' And that will mean we have a difficult time signing top RBs, which will reinforce the Fedora proclivity to expect his QB to be the primary running threat.

Gunter Brewer has been the primary source of making certain Fedora's offense has been as threatening as it has been, because Brewer as WR coach has done an amazing job. We have 4th team WRs - even counting 3 WRs per team - who run such nice routes and have good enough hands to make catches when in games that they could be regular-playing 2nd stringers on bowl teams.
Fedora just brought Thig home.

With all due respect, shove it up your arse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT