ADVERTISEMENT

Roy on our big men

I think Manley has some long-term potential as well. Brooks and Huffman are more likely to contribute this season, but I wouldn't totally count Manley out yet.

Reactions: Archer2
Manley is only long term due to physical set backs. He clearly has advanced skills and ability, while his questions surround his fitness, health, and stamina. I think Manley will develop into a starter caliber Big and Miller will become a capable/situational back-up.

Barring injury, I see Huff and Brooks as certain to contribute significantly this year and both will be problems for opponents by the time they go pro!

Reactions: HermanT and MWHeels
Manley is only long term due to physical set backs. He clearly has advanced skills and ability, while his questions surround his fitness, health, and stamina. I think Manley will develop into a starter caliber Big and Miller will become a capable/situational back-up.

Barring injury, I see Huff and Brooks as certain to contribute significantly this year and both will be problems for opponents by the time they go pro!

TP, I really want to see Manley early on more than anything else to be able to put away some concerns I have. I realize the kid has had 2 very nasty leg breaks that had him on the shelf for a lot of his high school career as well as taking away most of his ability to play summer ball ect. I considered his senior HS season to be more of a soph season than senior.

Thing I saw that concerned me was even late in that season he seemed to struggle with fitness. Maybe that was more due to his being on the shelf so long but there had been a good bit of time between his last injury and his playing last season. My concern is can he get to the fitness level that allows him more than limited minutes? Can he give us minutes like an very out of shape Meeks did as a freshman? I don't know and have said we just really need to see what and for how long he can play and have the stamina to be sharp. Think I heard Roy mention that he was still struggling with his mile time and yet I thought they had all reached their required time the day of the run, I do know one of our guys helped push him thru it but thought he had reached his required time so that is a little confusing and maybe a touch of a concern.

I agree that he is far behind with his fitness but some of his issue has to be mental as well. If you suffer two such devastating leg injuries it has to effect your trust in your wheels. It takes time before you are not afraid to go full out, cut without hesitation, and jump explosively. This means you don't show your full capabilities AND you don't get in tip top shape as quickly. I think our strength/conditioning staff has so much experience getting the most from players that he will get there sooner rather than later.

Reactions: FranktheHeel
I watched the entire late night scrimmage last night, not just the highlights that have been linked. I wanted to specifically watch Huffman and Manley. I think maybe I have been higher on Huffman than most and frankly, what I saw didn't lessen my position at all. I think maybe I do feel a little better about what I saw from Manley, think maybe he can give us 5mins or so a game.

The guy that I enjoyed was BRob, his shot looked much smoother, he had a bit of a hitch in his stroke last year but it looked really good. And yeah, Cam can shoot...

Long term we need to allow Sterling to recoup.
In the interim, we have Brooks and Huff, both of whom will fill the spot well.
I am anxious to see how they receive the ball on the interior and how they produce.
I do know if Huff is within 3 feet of the basket it results in dunk.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT