ADVERTISEMENT

SEC looks likely to gain OU and UT - ACC counter with basketball super conference?

hill6

Freshman
Feb 10, 2017
Will be interesting to see how the ACC handles this. One of the things I saw speculated was the ACC picking up some of the Big 12 schools and creating a basketball counter to the SEC in football. Basically, you add Ok State, Baylor, and KU and create a basketball mega conference.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Heel4life67
Will be interesting to see how the ACC handles this. One of the things I saw speculated was the ACC picking up some of the Big 12 schools and creating a basketball counter to the SEC in football. Basically, you add Ok State, Baylor, and KU and create a basketball mega conference.

Thoughts?
Kansas and Iowa State are in talks with the Big 10. West Virginia makes sense geographically from the Big 12.

Cincinnati, Temple, UCF, USF are possible options. Of course getting ND to be full members in football is their main hope.

Reactions: keysersosay#1
It won't be basketball centric. ACC is making it a point to promote football because that's where the money is. They just wrote an article on ESPN talking about making the focus on football a priority for the conference.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ioritize-growing-football-audience-conference
Every conference will talk up its football because it is the main money maker, but I think if UT and OU go to the SEC, every other conference is going to be grasping at straws if they hope to compete in football. It will be SEC all the time, followed, likely, by the Big 10, then the Pac and ACC.

Basketball is also a premier sport - though not on par - and the ACC could do itself a lot of favors, in my opinion, pushing itself as the best basketball conference in the country, bar none. Otherwise everyone will look to the SEC in football season, then cast their gaze around the country for bball.

I don't think geography matters as much anymore.

Has to be football. That is where the bigger money lies. The ACC fans can long for the days of basketball being king, but those days are over. The last expansion was about TV markets, but also football. Problem has been that Miami, VT, and to a lesser degree Syracuse, haven't exactly lived up to their pre ACC football success. Now with all of the streaming options, TV markets don't matter as much. Now the ACC can beg ND all they want, but as long as somebody is willing to give them their own TV contract they will never join in football. Figure the ACC will give a run at Penn St, maybe West Virginia before they go after a non Power 5 school. Maybe they do nothing. We will see.

Has to be football. That is where the bigger money lies. The ACC fans can long for the days of basketball being king, but those days are over. The last expansion was about TV markets, but also football. Problem has been that Miami, VT, and to a lesser degree Syracuse, haven't exactly lived up to their pre ACC football success. Now with all of the streaming options, TV markets don't matter as much. Now the ACC can beg ND all they want, but as long as somebody is willing to give them their own TV contract they will never join in football. Figure the ACC will give a run at Penn St, maybe West Virginia before they go after a non Power 5 school. Maybe they do nothing. We will see.
But I guess that's the quandary: who can they possibly get at this point to compete? A&M is pissed as hell, but I don't see them going to the ACC. I think you'll be hard pressed to poach a good Big 10 football team. WVU is a good grab. Ok State is a good football program, and ISU is on the rise, but none of those teams will truly move the needle in terms of national attention and dollars. The ACC should still fight to bolster its football programs, but at this point they are fighting for table scraps.

On the flip side, the defending national champ in basketball is hanging out there, one of the premier basketball blue bloods is hanging out there, and two programs (ISU and OSU) with rich histories are hanging out there.

I see this somewhat like a fantasy football draft (ironic, I know). You can draft the 28th RB on the board, or you can draft the top TE. Usually, you'll get more value drafting the top at another position than drafting an afterthought at a premier position. The ACC can get two or three 'best in their sport' programs, or get schools that are competing for, maybe, if the chips fall right, a top non-playoff bowl.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
But I guess that's the quandary: who can they possibly get at this point to compete? A&M is pissed as hell, but I don't see them going to the ACC. I think you'll be hard pressed to poach a good Big 10 football team. WVU is a good grab. Ok State is a good football program, and ISU is on the rise, but none of those teams will truly move the needle in terms of national attention and dollars. The ACC should still fight to bolster its football programs, but at this point they are fighting for table scraps.

On the flip side, the defending national champ in basketball is hanging out there, one of the premier basketball blue bloods is hanging out there, and two programs (ISU and OSU) with rich histories are hanging out there.

I see this somewhat like a fantasy football draft (ironic, I know). You can draft the 28th RB on the board, or you can draft the top TE. Usually, you'll get more value drafting the top at another position than drafting an afterthought at a premier position. The ACC can get two or three 'best in their sport' programs, or get schools that are competing for, maybe, if the chips fall right, a top non-playoff bowl.
You're stuck in the 20th century. These athletic departments care about two things. How much money do they have and how do they make more. Being able to brag about being the best basketball conference doesn't make you money.

I’d bet UNC is in the Big Ten sooner than later. They’re an AAU school and check off all the boxes the Big Ten looks for in a school when they look to add.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Article I read said this is a move toward a 32 team super conference, that the remaining conferences are going to have to link in some fashion, (media contracts, rights, etc.) to compete.

My unsolicited opinion, the NCAA's slow drip into irrelevance began in earnest with the first NBC/Notre Dame football deal and the basketball tournament expansion. These really moved college sports into the crosshairs of major tv advertisers and signaled that these sports were cash cows for the schools involved. Once the money started rolling in it became more about the teams on tv and less about the schools themselves.

That tv money was like a drug for the schools but it comes with a price. You have to give up something to get something, and the schools opted to give up that control and those traditions. College athletics is now a multi-billion dollar business and the school/academics side is just along for the ride.

Football is king when it comes to revenue so that sport will drive the bus. No one can match what the SEC will offer in football and the leftover bits are just scraps in the big picture. A 4-conference scenario with 16 schools each is the likely outcome in my mind and whoever has the fanbase combined with TV interest will get a seat at the adult table. Some schools are gonna wind up on the outside looking in, and it could be shocking to those fanbases. Would the SEC remain loyal to Vandy or would they get the shaft for bigger draw like a Texas Tech? Would dook's basketball get them in or does the football program hurt them too much? A small school like Wake (forgot to include at first) with sporadic but inconsistent relevance on the national stage in basketball is possibly relegated to a conference with Davidson and ECU.

It's a changing landscape and I'm afraid the end result will be that the college athletic traditions I grew up with are gone forever. If you would have told me in the mid-70's that Oklahoma/Nebraska or Texas/Texas A&M football rivalries would be gone in 30 years I'd have said you were crazy. Unfortunately those aren't the last that will disappear.

Last edited:
My unsolicited opinion, the NCAA's slow drip into irrelevance began in earnest with the first NBC/Notre Dame football deal and the basketball tournament expansion. These really moved college sports into the crosshairs of major tv advertisers and signaled that these sports were cash cows for the schools involved. Once the money started rolling in it became more about the teams on tv and less about the schools themselves.

That tv money was like a drug for the schools but it comes with a price. You have to give up something to get something, and the schools opted to give up that control and those traditions. College athletics is now a multi-billion dollar business and the school/academics side is just along for the ride.

Football is king when it comes to revenue so that sport will drive the bus. No one can match what the SEC will offer in football and the leftover bits are just scraps in the big picture. A 4-conference scenario with 16 schools each is the likely outcome in my mind and whoever has the fanbase combined with TV interest will get a seat at the adult table. Some schools are gonna wind up on the outside looking in, and it could be shocking to those fanbases. Would the SEC remain loyal to Vandy or would they get the shaft for bigger draw like a Texas Tech? Would dook's basketball get them in or does the football program hurt them too much? A small school like with sporadic but inconsistent relevance on the national stage in basketball is possibly relegated to a conference with Davidson and ECU.

It's a changing landscape and I'm afraid the end result will be that the college athletic traditions I grew up with are gone forever. If you would have told me in the mid-70's that Oklahoma/Nebraska or Texas/Texas A&M football rivalries would be gone in 30 years I'd have said you were crazy. Unfortunately those aren't the last that will disappear.
I think you’re spot on @Bubspub88. And it’s a shame.

You're stuck in the 20th century. These athletic departments care about two things. How much money do they have and how do they make more. Being able to brag about being the best basketball conference doesn't make you money.
But do you think more money will come the school/conference way saying you're the best basketball conference, or the 3rd best football conference out of 4? Whether you go for the ISUs, KUs, etc. or not you'll be the 3rd best either way. But get them and suddenly you also become the best basketball conference.

So the goal isn't to have a strong conference but to just supplant the NCAA as the governing power and skim the fat out of the division. At a 32 team super conference you basically have just created your own NFL. And have no reason to even play outside of your own conference.

Reactions: CrazyHeel
If we're allowing players to be paid, we are sidelining the NCAA, and we are completely focused on the money, at what point do college teams just become professionally affiliated club teams? For instance, when are the Charlotte Hornets going to 'affiliate' the UNC basketball team and the jerseys, training, pay, etc. are all as a sort of collegiate g-league? Why even pretend they are students anymore and not just go the European soccer route?

Reactions: midline
But do you think more money will come the school/conference way saying you're the best basketball conference, or the 3rd best football conference out of 4? Whether you go for the ISUs, KUs, etc. or not you'll be the 3rd best either way. But get them and suddenly you also become the best basketball conference.
More money will come from being the worst football conference than being the best basketball conference because more people watch football. That's all this is about.

I’d bet UNC is in the Big Ten sooner than later. They’re an AAU school and check off all the boxes the Big Ten looks for in a school when they look to add.
No doubt that we would be a Big school if the ACC ever went under. We are almost a perfect fit.

They are just pulling the curtain down now...pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... He is not the all powerful Oz.

Reactions: Archer2
My suggestion: all the other conferences get together and refuse to play SEC in football, basketball, baseball, etc. Let them have their super conference that only gets to play each other - see how long that lasts.

Reactions: Stever45
My suggestion: all the other conferences get together and refuse to play SEC in football, basketball, baseball, etc. Let them have their super conference that only gets to play each other - see how long that lasts.
You think the CFP would actually think playing a 12 game SEC schedule would be a bad thing? Hell, it would probably improve their chances of getting three teams in.

If we're allowing players to be paid, we are sidelining the NCAA, and we are completely focused on the money, at what point do college teams just become professionally affiliated club teams? For instance, when are the Charlotte Hornets going to 'affiliate' the UNC basketball team and the jerseys, training, pay, etc. are all as a sort of collegiate g-league? Why even pretend they are students anymore and not just go the European soccer route?
Very true. I have always found humor in the mind game that the NCAA, and the universities, played in talking about the student-athlete. What a joke.

Been wondering the same. I'd think we could get an invite to the B1G or SEC if we'd like. IMO we're the best remaining candidate after UT: combo of flagship school in a big state (that's growing), athletic success, academic prestige, and geography is pretty fantastic. Schools like FSU/Clemson are better at football of course, but Baylor and TCU are better than UT. It's more about fans, brand, alumni, and geography than simply winning. Otherwise Gonzaga, UCF and Boise State would have an easy time finding power-5 homes.

The money would be a lot better in either conference, and we could still play dook twice in the non-con in basketball. Personally, I don't really care much if we no longer have games with the likes of NC State, Wake, VT, etc. I understand others differ on that front, especially long-time fans.

I'm not in charge, but I think that's likely the best financial move. ACC just doesn't have any school to add to drive football eyeballs (ND isn't coming as a full member), and that's the only way we'd ever close the money gap. Would love either conference from a football standpoint, and lately they e both been at least as good in basketball too.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel0910
Now hearing reports sec is talking with Clemson, FSU, OSU and Michigan. I am thinking it's rumors to get clicks but same guy who reported Tx and OU to sec is one of the guys saying it.

You think the CFP would actually think playing a 12 game SEC schedule would be a bad thing? Hell, it would probably improve their chances of getting three teams in.
Three teams? With a 12 team playoff I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of the teams be SEC.

Three teams? With a 12 team playoff I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of the teams be SEC.
I was referring to the current 4 team setup. I have no doubt that the SEC gets a minimum of four teams in an expanded 12 team format. Most likely 5-7.

Reactions: hill6
FSU and Clemson's hands are tied with the gor. That doesn't expire until 2036. Imho
What is the buyout ? Oklahoma & Texas have to pay a whopping exit fee to Big XII, but they will make that plus very quickly in the new set up?

Now hearing reports sec is talking with Clemson, FSU, OSU and Michigan. I am thinking it's rumors to get clicks but same guy who reported Tx and OU to sec is one of the guys saying it.
I think that's just rumors. Baring some kind of unexpected big move from the ACC, I do think Clemson and FSU will be gone after the GoR expire or maybe a couple of years before. The ACC needs to make some major moves within the next 2-3 years if it expects to survive this thing. If it doesn't then the ACC as we know it today will be gone. UNC will either be in the Big 10 or in an old Big East type of ACC conference. And before people say they are ok with that, keep in mind that basketball is an arms race too. If we don't have the money, it will be hard to keep up. That also includes Olympic sports for those of you who are interested in those.

What is the buyout ? Oklahoma & Texas have to pay a whopping exit fee to Big XII, but they will make that plus very quickly in the new set up?
It isn't a specific number. The ACC gets any revenue they receive until the rights expire. So theoretically the ACC would get their SEC money. Obviously that would get negotiated though,

Reactions: dtodd4475
So it seems Texas and OU are not renewing Big 12 media rights....does it mean anything?

Texas & Oklahoma are "only" going to have to pay around 80 million each to get out of the GOR. If the ACC is upward of 500 million that indeed is quite the difference.

Texas & Oklahoma are "only" going to have to pay around 80 million each to get out of the GOR. If the ACC is upward of 500 million that indeed is quite the difference.
Yeah, the Big 12's deal expires in 2025 and the ACC's expires in 2035 or 36. That's why there is such a big difference and why it will be another 10 years before any ACC school can seriously consider jumping.

So it seems Texas and OU are not renewing Big 12 media rights....does it mean anything?
It means they are not interested in playing in the Big 12. The only way they're not going to the SEC now is if 4 schools vote no. aTm, and Missouri are probably hard no's. They better politic Florida and South Carolina to be on board with them or in a few years Clemson and FSU will be knocking on the door.

It isn't a specific number. The ACC gets any revenue they receive until the rights expire. So theoretically the ACC would get their SEC money. Obviously that would get negotiated though,
I doubt the ACC would renegotiate that at all. Those agreements have stood up in court

I think that's just rumors. Baring some kind of unexpected big move from the ACC, I do think Clemson and FSU will be gone after the GoR expire or maybe a couple of years before. The ACC needs to make some major moves within the next 2-3 years if it expects to survive this thing. If it doesn't then the ACC as we know it today will be gone. UNC will either be in the Big 10 or in an old Big East type of ACC conference. And before people say they are ok with that, keep in mind that basketball is an arms race too. If we don't have the money, it will be hard to keep up. That also includes Olympic sports for those of you who are interested in those.
OSU and Michigan make so much money in research grants through partnerships with the BIG. Those grants make football money look like a penny jar. I see the scenario where in 7-8 years where DOOK, GT,UNC, and UVA, go to the BIG.

Reactions: kc2525
I doubt the ACC would renegotiate that at all. Those agreements have stood up in court
With reading the OK/TX out it seems the schools reserve the right to act individually in their best interest within the GOR, or something worded like that. I think that is where the negotiations come in with the courts involvement, at the point when they do act in their best interest. The bylaws are expected to be followed 18 months notice, exit out fees, etc).

OSU and Michigan make so much money in research grants through partnerships with the BIG. Those grants make football money look like a penny jar. I see the scenario where in 7-8 years where DOOK, GT,UNC, and UVA, go to the BIG.
UNC and UVA are a no brainer invite from the Big. GT could definitely be one as well since they somewhat fit the profile. duke doesn't really fit in the Big and assuming the Big stick with their profile they wouldn't get an invite, but they might get one just to entice us. My concern is that the politics of playing duke and moo keep us in a diminished ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT