ADVERTISEMENT

Sharing is caring...

Tarheelsman71

Freshman
Jun 10, 2020
Given amount of possessions that the Heels get per game, I am hoping that there is enough shots for everyone. With RJ coming back, will capt jack get enough shots to make the, one and done, impact he so desires? Will it is a problem? right out of the gate I see a logjam at the 2-3. Obviously you dont take RJ's minutes. Hopefully EC comes back with a jumpshot that looks better than Jackie Manuels. Without a true center or POWER fwd on the team we are woefully weak on the front court. If it were me (and its not me :eek:)I think a lot of small ball could be played successfully. I dont want 5 out crap by any means, but a lineup of EC, RJ, capt Jack, Cade, Jalen could be effective to stretch the defense out a little bit. RJ Cade and Jalen could open a lot of driving opportunities for capt jack and EC. High and Withers arent a threat, yet, from deep. Withers 3 at the end of game still stymies me, but let bygones be gone lol. We could roll out a seriously potent defensive team if we wanted to as well. Withers should be better this season on knowing when it is time to help. Caught out of position a lot last year where his man got lost and withers couldnt find him.

All in I hope we can share the ball well. Dont want RJ and Capt Jack to be fighting for supremacy. plenty of shots to go around.

I think Hubs and staff + camaraderie will prevent any of our peeps from being selfish with the ball and help to keep peeps happy. This is one of the reasons Hubs takes so long to decide to offer a potential player. He actually wants peeps who fit culture before he wants simply those who are uber talented!

Reactions: Tarheelsman71
Unless the roster changes between now and the beginning of the season, I think this is a team that will be somewhat dependent on the 3PT shot. One of my worries is if Cadeau remains a 0 3PT shooter and he believes that mid-range jumpers are a better option. If Cadeau can't shoot 3s, the best option will be for RJ and Tyson to shoot 3s. Not Cadeau shooting mid-range jumpers.

But as fun as it is to play all of this on paper... It will depend on who improves, who doesn't, and where the improvement comes from. Options open up if Cadeau becomes a respectable shooter. Options open if Withers finds his shooting form from 2 years ago. Options open if Washington can be depended on 25+ minutes per game. Options close if those 3 things work the opposite direction.

I think Hubs and staff + camaraderie will prevent any of our peeps from being selfish with the ball and help to keep peeps happy. This is one of the reasons Hubs takes so long to decide to offer a potential player. He actually wants peeps who fit culture before he wants simply those who are uber talented!
Not sure if it will be selfishness at the core between Cap. Jack and RJ if they are a bit of tough combo together. Maybe they just share similar scoring strengths/mentality an are not as strong in the create for others aspect?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Given amount of possessions that the Heels get per game, I am hoping that there is enough shots for everyone. With RJ coming back, will capt jack get enough shots to make the, one and done, impact he so desires? Will it is a problem? right out of the gate I see a logjam at the 2-3. Obviously you dont take RJ's minutes. Hopefully EC comes back with a jumpshot that looks better than Jackie Manuels. Without a true center or POWER fwd on the team we are woefully weak on the front court. If it were me (and its not me :eek:)I think a lot of small ball could be played successfully. I dont want 5 out crap by any means, but a lineup of EC, RJ, capt Jack, Cade, Jalen could be effective to stretch the defense out a little bit. RJ Cade and Jalen could open a lot of driving opportunities for capt jack and EC. High and Withers arent a threat, yet, from deep. Withers 3 at the end of game still stymies me, but let bygones be gone lol. We could roll out a seriously potent defensive team if we wanted to as well. Withers should be better this season on knowing when it is time to help. Caught out of position a lot last year where his man got lost and withers couldnt find him.

All in I hope we can share the ball well. Dont want RJ and Capt Jack to be fighting for supremacy. plenty of shots to go around.
For all the, um, sketchy answers you will get, this team's fate will be determined by whether or not the staff 1) turns over the keys to Cadeau, and 2) allows us to become less RJ-dependent.

We saw late how opponents smothered RJ and took their chances elsewhere. In some ways we will have more fire-power, especially if #1 comes to fruition.

For all the, um, sketchy answers you will get, this team's fate will be determined by whether or not the staff 1) turns over the keys to Cadeau, and 2) allows us to become less RJ-dependent.

We saw late how opponents smothered RJ and took their chances elsewhere. In some ways we will have more fire-power, especially if #1 comes to fruition.
Right now this team's fate will be determined by whether or not we can defend the paint and rebound the ball.

I agree with this, but the staff will have to show me before I fully believe they are willing. We’ve seen too many examples of reverting to old ways, allowing RJ to pound the ball and becoming a half-court offense with 4 players watching RJ try to score. I sincerely hope the staff has learned by now, but again I need to see it to believe it.

Last Year's Expectations....

Cadeau was going to be OAD, would relieve RJ from having handle the ball very much, would be the best distributor since Kendall, might not shoot great from deep but would keep them honest, while punishing them with drives and D.

RJ was ACC POY material. Wouldn't need to handle the ball so much. Wouldn't need to play iron man minutes. Might shoot a bit less but would hit at a higher rate.

Ingram and Ryan would add toughness and firepower, and would be great targets for Cadeau's passing prowess, while taking pressure off RJ on the scoring side.

Withers was going to be the perfect stretch 4 who could also rotate to center and could start if either Ingram or Ryan wasn't quite as good as expected.

JWash would be fully 100%, and muscled up over the summer. He'd give good minutes backing up Armando and maybe even at PF. Could start and impress if needed.

Seth would have bounced back from the slump in the 2nd half of his freshman season. He would kill them on D, be slamming dunks over everything in sight, and would handle backup at PG so RJ wouldn't have to.

Armando would be Mr consistent, again. His scoring might go up because Cadeau would get the ball to him when and where he needed it.

What Actually Happened....

RJ did, in fact, become ACC POY (and All America, to boot), but not because he was playing mostly off the ball and getting great setups. Nor did he escape iron man status.

Ingram and Ryan delivered. Both good, Ingram a bit better than many expected.

Armando had a good year, broke the double-double record, and improved at the line, but shot less and didn't get the great setups we expected.

The rest of the expectations didn't pan out. Despite that, we were in the NCAAT, and might have gone a round or 2 further. But didn't. Which, considering only half our our expectations were met, was a pretty good showing.

This Year's Expectations....

Pretty much the same with a few name changes.

Biggest difference: no Armando (yet).

Last Year's Expectations....

Cadeau was going to be OAD, would relieve RJ from having handle the ball very much, would be the best distributor since Kendall, might not shoot great from deep but would keep them honest, while punishing them with drives and D.

RJ was ACC POY material. Wouldn't need to handle the ball so much. Wouldn't need to play iron man minutes. Might shoot a bit less but would hit at a higher rate.

Ingram and Ryan would add toughness and firepower, and would be great targets for Cadeau's passing prowess, while taking pressure off RJ on the scoring side.

Withers was going to be the perfect stretch 4 who could also rotate to center and could start if either Ingram or Ryan wasn't quite as good as expected.

JWash would be fully 100%, and muscled up over the summer. He'd give good minutes backing up Armando and maybe even at PF. Could start and impress if needed.

Seth would have bounced back from the slump in the 2nd half of his freshman season. He would kill them on D, be slamming dunks over everything in sight, and would handle backup at PG so RJ wouldn't have to.

Armando would be Mr consistent, again. His scoring might go up because Cadeau would get the ball to him when and where he needed it.

What Actually Happened....

RJ did, in fact, become ACC POY (and All America, to boot), but not because he was playing mostly off the ball and getting great setups. Nor did he escape iron man status.

Ingram and Ryan delivered. Both good, Ingram a bit better than many expected.

Armando had a good year, broke the double-double record, and improved at the line, but shot less and didn't get the great setups we expected.

The rest of the expectations didn't pan out. Despite that, we were in the NCAAT, and might have gone a round or 2 further. But didn't. Which, considering only half our our expectations were met, was a pretty good showing.

This Year's Expectations....

Pretty much the same with a few name changes.

Biggest difference: no Armando (yet).
Great assessment. Capt Jack = Cormac (better slasher than I expected). Tyson =Ingram. Hope He can bang and get rebounds. What was amazing was the ACTUAL size of ingram and how many rebounds he managed at 6-5. Rebounding is gonna be a had thing for us on paper right now.

Lineup of :
EC, RJ, Ian Jackson, Tyson, and JWash doesnt scream rebounding super power. Withers or High for Tyson gives us more rebounding but less offense. Front court is such a huge question mark. I think EC RJ and Ian Jackson is a given in the back court which is great, but lacks size in a big way. I dont see a way that jackson doesnt start from day one. Or maybe HD eases him in like he did with EC. Jackson starts for sure by the end of first month of the season if he doesnt start from day 1. too talented not to start.

Great assessment. Capt Jack = Cormac (better slasher than I expected). Tyson =Ingram. Hope He can bang and get rebounds. What was amazing was the ACTUAL size of ingram and how many rebounds he managed at 6-5. Rebounding is gonna be a had thing for us on paper right now.

Lineup of :
EC, RJ, Ian Jackson, Tyson, and JWash doesnt scream rebounding super power. Withers or High for Tyson gives us more rebounding but less offense. Front court is such a huge question mark. I think EC RJ and Ian Jackson is a given in the back court which is great, but lacks size in a big way. I dont see a way that jackson doesnt start from day one. Or maybe HD eases him in like he did with EC. Jackson starts for sure by the end of first month of the season if he doesnt start from day 1. too talented not to start.
Don't forget Drake. He has quicks and hops and D. He's taller than Ian (if you can believe the listings) so might be a better choice at SF. I have no clue how long either of them is.

Odds are that at least one of the 2 high-ranked frosh will be ready to go soon, if not right out of the gate. Roy would have given each a lot of PT early to find out. Will Hubert?

Whether or not we get Lubin, we're looking to be shorter and lighter than last season - but maybe quicker and better shooting.

Hard to believe we have to wait 6 months to find out. Clearly the basketball season needs to be longer.

I agree with this, but the staff will have to show me before I fully believe they are willing. We’ve seen too many examples of reverting to old ways, allowing RJ to pound the ball and becoming a half-court offense with 4 players watching RJ try to score. I sincerely hope the staff has learned by now, but again I need to see it to believe it.
They certainly didn't learn it after a full season last year and HD's stubbornness is becoming a concern which takes me back to HDs NIL statement about RJ being the most important player on next years team. I am not of that opinion and we'll find out together if the leopard can change his spots. So to say.

POINTS PER MINUTE LAST SEASON

PlayerPoints per Minute
RJ Davis.609
Harrison Ingram.573
Cade Tyson.513
Jalen Washington.500
Armando Bacot.479
Ven-Allen Lubin.473
Cormac Ryan.380
James Okonkwo.349
Jae'Lyn Withers.340
Elliot Cadeau.307
Seth Trimble.304
Paxson Wojcik.191
Zayden High.175

They certainly didn't learn it after a full season last year and HD's stubbornness is becoming a concern which takes me back to HDs NIL statement about RJ being the most important player on next years team. I am not of that opinion and we'll find out together if the leopard can change his spots. So to say.

I'll just say that I think we have a better season if RJ averages 16-17 points a game than if he averages more than 20. That is all.

I'll just say that I think we have a better season if RJ averages 16-17 points a game than if he averages more than 20. That is all.
And I think that's a reasonable number. With this group if we have to depend on him for much more than that someone wasn't as good as hoped for.

And I think that's a reasonable number. With this group if we have to depend on him for much more than that someone wasn't as good as hoped for.
But it sounds like RJ gets blamed for others not being good. People want EC to be the go to guy and run the offense but also get none of the responsibility if his offensive game sucks like last year. I’m with you on saying EC needs to run the team and play a whole lot more than last year. But he has to shoot it better, defend better and not be a liability on offense. Then we will have a better shot at winning. RJ will also have to have another great year.

Lineup of :
Strongly disagree on Jack = Ryan or Tyson = Ingram without looking to be disagreeable. Coming in Ryan was considered a big time jump shooter, he was Ok in that respect but his real value added was his defense and his on court leadership. Jack is a slasher guy that finished above the rim, his jump shooting to be nice is a work in progress. He does have quickhands and really good reach that wil help him defend but of the 2 freshmen I think Drake wil be the better defender next season as well as career at UNC. Tyson is considered to be a big time jump shooter, was not what Ingram was considered coming in to UNC. His % eneded up looking really good but he cooled off a lot second half of the season, did miss a lot of open looks. Ingram was the point forward type, got a lot of boards for us by his hustle. If I am comparing Tyson to anyone it would be to Manek, even their stroke is really really similar, don't think Manek or Tyson's calling card wil be as a defender, especialy at the 4.

People want EC to be the go to guy and run the offense but also get none of the responsibility if his offensive game sucks like last year. I’m with you on saying EC needs to run the team and play a whole lot more than last year. But he has to shoot it better, defend better and not be a liability on offense.
There is a good bit of truth to that but a bit of misdirection as well. Sometimes us poasters want to equate scoring with running a team and in EC's case that may not be a fair thing to say. It has got to be a challenge to walk in the door and be expected to run the UNC O as it should be run .. for anyone and the best way to learn it is by getting PT and learning from mistakes. EC got a bit snake bit with some questionable ref calls early last year and it cost him both PT and confidence early on and that hurt. Then as he progressed HD, for whatever reason, took him out at some "head scratching" moments in the game more than once and that could not have helped Elliot's confidence or learning progression at all.

I do think EC's defense improved a lot as the season progressed but he does need to spend some time working on his outside shot. And hopefully since this years group will not have Bacot there will much less defensive presence in, and around, the lane on O which hopefully opens up more driving opportunities for EC.

I'm actually pretty stoked about the incoming class, even without a true big in the middle yet, but the biggest question in my mind remains how will Hubert develop and use this years team and I have more concerns about the coach/coaching than the players. jmo GO HEELS !!

There is a good bit of truth to that but a bit of misdirection as well. Sometimes us poasters want to equate scoring with running a team and in EC's case that may not be a fair thing to say. It has got to be a challenge to walk in the door and be expected to run the UNC O as it should be run .. for anyone and the best way to learn it is by getting PT and learning from mistakes. EC got a bit snake bit with some questionable ref calls early last year and it cost him both PT and confidence early on and that hurt. Then as he progressed HD, for whatever reason, took him out at some "head scratching" moments in the game more than once and that could not have helped Elliot's confidence or learning progression at all.

I do think EC's defense improved a lot as the season progressed but he does need to spend some time working on his outside shot. And hopefully since this years group will not have Bacot there will much less defensive presence in, and around, the lane on O which hopefully opens up more driving opportunities for EC.

I'm actually pretty stoked about the incoming class, even without a true big in the middle yet, but the biggest question in my mind remains how will Hubert develop and use this years team and I have more concerns about the coach/coaching than the players. jmo GO HEELS !!
Great post. I agree

I like the give and take. My lean is Caudeu just has to be better, and I think he can and will be. He was an extremely skilled freshman with gaping holes for a featured hand the keys over frosh at this level. He struggled mightily defensively early, but did show growth. He struggled shooting, and regressed in that area, ended at 19% from three I think, while being dared to shoot it.

EC running the show would be awesome, he has to get to that level. What RJ brings is established, and it's a lot, but he ain't a point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT