ADVERTISEMENT

Sharpe to the NBA

& probably won’t. One of my best friends is a scout for the Dodgers (finally got his ring this year) & said he basically had to take that money. Said the kid would likely be a career minor leaguer but if somebody thinks you’re that good is is willing to throw that kind of money at you, you gotta take it. I think he probably wanted to play football but you can’t turn down 4 mil or whatever it was.
I’ve only seen him play a few times. The angles have a pretty solid outfield, he might have to switch teams before he gets his shot.
Skye Bolt is another great example. He’s one of the highest prospects UNC ever had & he’s only been called up for a few weeks during his career & his been trying since 2015.

at least bradley won a championship so leaving wasn’t a terrible thing. I agree on the others
We were primed to return the following year had Bradley returned. Instead we went with the Freshman tandom on Brooks and Manley still earning a 2 seed, but got crushed by a 2 big Texas A &M team.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
true. But given that he had won the ring and was a first rounder I can’t fault him that much for leaving. Of course I wish he had stayed.
I selfish. Tar Heel success above all personal succes of future players. He would have earned a heck of a lot more money too.

The hockey paid format for kids drafted who spend time in college is much more realistic then baseballs for looking at a starting point for basketball..

Reactions: Heelicious
In baseball you can go pro straight out of high school.
if you go to college, you’re there for 3 years.
Would be more fun for college fans this way for sure. Whether it's the right thing for the NBA and/or the players, I'm not as clear on.

Sharpe, I hate it but I do understand it, would suggest he made a better decision than Tony did but they both IMO would have been well served by coming back for soph seasons. But I do respect Sharpe's decision, I honestly struggle to respect Kessler's.

Now the wheel turns to Bacot, Brooks, Love, and Platek...

Would be more fun for college fans this way for sure. Whether it's the right thing for the NBA and/or the players, I'm not as clear on.
I'm not so sure if it would be more fun. There are worldwide options to pursue a career in basketball, for youngsters with pro skill sets. If it is a bunch of future insurance agents playing for colleges it becomes a club level college extracurricular, college baseball level maybe, but not the "next" crop in the sport.

Last edited:
I have said from jump, I don't like anything outside of players being able to enter the pro game at any time they chose. It is just wrong to tell a kid that he can not earn a living off the skills he now holds if there is an employer ready and willing to pay him to play pro. As a fan of the college game I would love for our guys to stay at least 3yrs, doesn't mean it is the right thing to do...

I'm not so sure if it would be more fun. There are worldwide options to pursue a career in basketball, for youngsters with elite skill sets. If it is a bunch of future insurance agents playing for colleges it becomes a club level college extracurricular, college baseball level maybe, but not the "next" crop in the sport.

It does not matter who the players are, it could be a bunch of future insurance agents but our future insurance agents will wear the UNC uniform and I will root for them just as hard.

Sharpe, I hate it but I do understand it, would suggest he made a better decision than Tony did but they both IMO would have been well served by coming back for soph seasons. But I do respect Sharpe's decision, I honestly struggle to respect Kessler's.

Now the wheel turns to Bacot, Brooks, Love, and Platek...
Bradley is interesting to me. What do you think he would of developed in another year where he could flourish against smaller guys to go for a National title.

Going pro he shunned the limelight and big man on campus perks, for going all in to work on his craft in the background. He is now 23 with 8.5 million in earnings already, playing great in his role and a restricted free agent with a 5.5 million minimum claim the Sixers need to exercise to keep him from being unrestricted. While his estimated value is 10 plus million multi year deal that they may have to match if offered by another franchise. 23 and a seasoned ready pro with experience is a huge plus for his career.

I think Bradley is an example of why you do not go back. Seems like the fans are looking for the immediate gratification fun in college more then the youngsters looking at the long run career move in many of these comments.

Last edited:
I think Bradley is an example of why you do not go back.

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Making it to the big leagues In baseball is extraordinarily difficult. A lot of it is “right place right time”. I’ve known professional scouts who admit they basically are just choosing out of a hat who to draft once things get past the tenth round.

the implications of this are astounding but just gives you an idea of what a player is up against.
Not to get too far off track, but this part of Moneyball movie is really interesting - with the story about "Can't Miss" - Billy Beane - and how incredibly hard it is to make it in MLB.

In football or basketball, you either have the athletic gifts of size, speed, strength, quickness, shooting ability, to be able to predict if you can make it as a pro. But I think its been said....to master hitting a 95+MPH fastball with a wooden bat, or a 85+ MPH breaking ball is the hardest thing in any sport to master. Pure athleticism doesn't get it done. You have to have rare great hand-eye coordination, and ability to quickly read and process pitches, in a small fraction of a second. Less time than a blink of an eye.

Bradley is interesting to me. What do you think he would of developed in another year where he could flourish against smaller guys to go for a National title.

Going pro he shunned the limelight and big man on campus perks, for going all in to work on his craft in the background. He is now 23 with 8.5 million in earnings already, playing great in his role and a restricted free agent with a 5.5 million minimum claim the Sixers need to exercise to keep him from being unrestricted. While his estimated value is 10 plus million multi year deal that they may have to match if offered by another franchise. 23 and a seasoned ready pro with experience is a huge plus for his career.

I think Bradley is an example of why you do not go back. Seems like the fans are looking for the immediate gratification fun in college more then the youngsters looking at the long run career move in many of these comments.
Yes - cash is king. But - we should also take into account, many of these 18 and 19 year olds don't have a chance to experience the college life and atmosphere. And some certainly regret it - sure the money is great, but they are thrust into being a responsible adult in the grind of pro sports, missing out on one of the most fun times in life - college with teammates, friends, etc.... and getting a free education that serves them well if they don't make it in the NBA, get injured, etc.

Good Luck to Day’ron but I believe this decision had been made over a year ago... I read somewhere where he is the 33rd ranked player in the draft and I’m not sure if that’s someone’s guessing who else will declare or if that’s just with players who have declared... Now last I knew there was only 30 teams in NBA so I wouldn’t think he is a guaranteed 1st round pick

I have all summer to watch Carolina games from the last four years. Hopefully, I will have better things to do. I would really love to know what was going on with Brooks this year. I couldn't figure out if he was hurt, or angry or what. I didn't see him sprint once this year. His facial expressions made me feel nauseous
. He even looked smaller. He used to look 6'8" and 230. This year, he looked 6'6" and 215. I wish him the best. For three years, I cheered for him vigorously. This year was like watching a trotter horse try to run in the Kentucky Derby. I hope that he makes millions of dollars playing overseas. And I hope that he finds happiness. UNC actually had a decent season, but watching the games was not fun. If we go 8-20 next year with small, slow players who give fantastic effort, I can live with that

Reactions: Bur-Heel
I hope Caleb Love bails. I never expected him to stay. I didn't expect Sharpe to stay. I'm expecting Love and Bacot to announce their departures soon enough. Good riddance to all of them, frankly. I have no real nostalgic appreciation for players who basically dump-on the UNC program by abandoning it prematurely. I'm sure they have their reasons for leaving, and I have my reasons for not acknowledging their presence on the team.

The players who come to college as OAD's are of no interest to me at all. They should have all been allowed to go pro and bypass the charade of "going to college." Kids that transfer because of their damaged egos, or their parent's egos? You are all dead to me as far as UNC "family." They are all named "Fredo." They were never in Chapel Hill as far as I'm concerned. But, my opinion matters to no one but me. They'll be just fine.

ETA: Is this about Day'ron? Okay... Day'ron, good luck developing in the pro game. You are one of the more forgettable UNC players.
You're hilarious!!

Yes - cash is king. But - we should also take into account, many of these 18 and 19 year olds don't have a chance to experience the college life and atmosphere. And some certainly regret it - sure the money is great, but they are thrust into being a responsible adult in the grind of pro sports, missing out on one of the most fun times in life - college with teammates, friends, etc.... and getting a free education that serves them well if they don't make it in the NBA, get injured, etc.
We're in a pandemic..none of that matters right now!!

Back on to Sharpe......

I actually respect his decision and the way he has gone about it.

Reading into the quote from Roy Williams, this comes across as a decision that was discussed, and mutually agreed upon:
"...I think he had a chance to be an unbelievable player here for us. I loved coaching him and will cheer for him forever." - Roy

Reactions: RP12 and TPFKAPFS
I have said from jump, I don't like anything outside of players being able to enter the pro game at any time they chose. It is just wrong to tell a kid that he can not earn a living off the skills he now holds if there is an employer ready and willing to pay him to play pro. As a fan of the college game I would love for our guys to stay at least 3yrs, doesn't mean it is the right thing to do...
I agree with this.

I think I’ve had it with college basketball. Between the OAD’s, the transfer portal horde, the interjection of politics, and the players being less coachable every year, the enjoyment I’ve gotten for six decades just isn’t there for me any longer.

I watch very little pro sports, no NBA or NFL at all. I think it’s time to shut down college basketball as well. When you’re no longer deriving pleasure from something, when it becomes more frustrating than enjoyable, it’s time to stop.

It’s been a hell of a ride, one I’m very appreciative to have experienced.

Last edited:
I think I’ve had it with college basketball. Between the OAD’s, the transfer portal horde, the interjection of politics, and the players being less coachable every year, the enjoyment I’ve gotten for six decades just isn’t there for me any longer....
in recent years i've found myself enjoying college football more and more, and college basketball less and less. college football is truly a team sport, with every player having an important role on every play. college basketball for the most part is one on one, not much playmaking, great athleticism but poor fundamentals, often the first guy who touches the ball takes a three with everybody else standing around... boring.

Reactions: UNCPJH81
in recent years i've found myself enjoying college football more and more, and college basketball less and less. college football is truly a team sport, with every player having an important role on every play. college basketball for the most part is one on one, not much playmaking, great athleticism but poor fundamentals, often the first guy who touches the ball takes a three with everybody else standing around... boring.
college football is a team sport...unless you think you might hurt yourself playing in the most important bowl game that your school has been in since, well, forever. Then "to hell with my teammates, me first!"

Good Luck to Day’ron but I believe this decision had been made over a year ago... I read somewhere where he is the 33rd ranked player in the draft and I’m not sure if that’s someone’s guessing who else will declare or if that’s just with players who have declared... Now last I knew there was only 30 teams in NBA so I wouldn’t think he is a guaranteed 1st round pick
I believe with workouts for NBA scouts and whatever camps he attends he will move up in the draft boards. I can see him going mid first round somewhere in the late teens to early 20's.

I will always love college bball, at least as long as there is a Team with UNC on the jersey! The game changes and often reflects society, but it is cyclical! Just like UNC builds up to a Natty contender and then has been known to suffer through some droughts. I fully expect college bball and the NBA to eventually find a mutually beneficial compromise that will allow college to build back to its former glory. In the meantime, I will enjoy watching our mad genius figure out how to keep us relevant during the inevitable bumps in this road!

I watched the growth this year and fully expect it to continue! Peeps are leaving, so what? Peeps leave every year for various reasons. Peeps are transferring, so what? They weren't committed to the Carolina Way anyway!

Maybe some prefer their negativistic viewpoint (often mislabeled as "realistic") but I am happy because of my optimistic views!

I expect us to be an ACC and Big Dance contender next season!

Thanks Roy and thanks UNC for 50+ years of enjoyment!

NBA composite mock didn't include Sharpe , but I think it is obvious that some team has told him they will be taking him.

I thought it was 2 but could be wrong. I think straight to the pros or 2 years is good for basketball tho.
Out of curiosity, why three years and not four? I’ve
I think I’ve had it with college basketball. Between the OAD’s, the transfer portal horde, the interjection of politics, and the players being less coachable every year, the enjoyment I’ve gotten for six decades just isn’t there for me any longer.

I watch very little pro sports, no NBA or NFL at all. I think it’s time to shut down college basketball as well. When you’re no longer deriving pleasure from something, when it becomes more frustrating than enjoyable, it’s time to stop.

It’s been a hell of a ride, one I’m very appreciative to have experienced.
You might try hockey. There is a learning curve as far as the rules and vocabulary but it’s not that hard. I see in it many of the things I once enjoyed in college basketball.

i don't blame Dayron for going pro if he feels strongly he will be a early first round pick. that being said, unless he develops more touch around the basket and a face up game, he won't make it past his first contract. It is what it is. NBA drafts on potential, and kids like him have no choice but to strike while the iron is hot.

college football is a team sport...unless you think you might hurt yourself playing in the most important bowl game that your school has been in since, well, forever. Then "to hell with my teammates, me first!"
you're right. skipping important bowl games is anti-team. if that trend continues i'll have to revise my opinion of college football. baseball may become my favorite college sport.

I only watch MLB, Formula 1, IMSA, and motorcycle racing. I had started getting back into college football until I realized I cared more about the team than our best players who selfishly opted out and quit on their teammates. Oh well, Mack will probably sell us out again soon anyway. Maybe that's where they got the idea.

If he doesn't get a 1st round guarantee from someone, I hope he leaves the option of returning open. Someone with his obvious combo of physical gifts + talent should not have to sweat out a non-guaranteed contract!

Out of curiosity, why three years and not four? I’ve

You might try hockey. There is a learning curve as far as the rules and vocabulary but it’s not that hard. I see in it many of the things I once enjoyed in college basketball.
agreed. I've gravitated toward enjoying watching pro hockey, especially since the Minnesota Wild are doing OK - better than expected this year. They have a new pretty young kid from Russia named Karill Kaprizov - face looks like a happy-go-lucky high schooler, but he has the best offensive skills of any Wild player in a couple decades at least. Leads rookies in goals, points by a wide margin, and I believe he's a lock for Rookie of the Year.

Overall, though - NHL hockey is nice to watch in that there are few stoppages for timeouts, etc, except for between periods, then you can just check out, and come back 15 minutes later.

And - the NHL has <5% of the woke SJW race hustling stuff you see in NFL, MLB, and especially NBA over the last couple years. Refreshing for it to mostly just be about the sport on the field (ice).

Concerning the future insurance agent comment earlier this thread, I would rather watch, cheer for, and look forward to guys that will need their degrees after their college eligibility is done, as long as every program in the country had to have similar types playing for them, than I had the greatest basketball players on the planet do what they do in the NBA. At least then, those kids would respect the opportunity and have the players or their families telling the coach how to run his program.

Go form pro leagues, all the development leagues ya want NBA, pay all the 4 and 5 star kids to come to you right out of high school and don't even consider a kid that elects to play college ball. I would perfectly good with that being the case because then coaches would have to build teams and coach, not baby sit some kid or his parents that think he is ready to be Lebron James today. Let the spoiled and entitled go do what they want to do any way, play for pay, go do it, we will take the left overs as long as every other college program also has to play with left overs.

And know what, I am not sure the college game would suffer from that one bit. The ego driven selfish "star" talents are as much fools gold as they are real help for a team to become a winner. The college game is, has always been about the program, about the team, not the individual players. The NBA has now branded itself to be about the individual player more than the team, it is about loyalty to self above loyalty to those out dated concepts of TEAM, of SCHOOL, of something bigger than just you. The college game has gravitated more toward the individual player and that is a trend I would LOVE to see STOPPED now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT