ADVERTISEMENT

So Jay, YOU are the self appointed smartest guy....

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
in all of college Ball. Hell in ALL of college sports... What say you Jay Bilas, the smartest guy in the room about your constant blather for years and years about the need to PAY athletes. Please READ Jay, the comments by Coach Mack Brown ab0ut the massive problems that this has created and will continue to create with recruiting, paying players, collectives et...

I have NEVER had a problem with paying players so that they can have some extra cash every month .I am a capitalist and believe they have been exploited for too long. But NOW we have situations that are only going to get worse IMO. The kid from KY, Oscar T, is reported to have Two million dollars in the bank to come back to KY. We have all known about KY and others who have had under the table cash deals for DECADES. Now it is so out in the open that the lines between college and pro ,the G League etc are so blurred, that college ball is in some cases just minor league pro ball.

yeah I know that Mando is getting NIL money and others here as well. I have thought a lot recently about what Coach Smith would say and do if he were still alive about this whole situation. I think he is spinning in his grave.
Heck i believe he saw, way ahead of others, what this type of thing could do to college ball. Heck old school types like Roy, Vader, and now Jay Wright have seen up close every day what this was and is doing to college Ball.

All of em said Thats it I have had enough of this

I have no answers to all of this. I am just a fan that has loved Carolina and college basketball for 50 years. My sense is this is going to get out of control REAL fast. Maybe Jay can appoint himself the fixer of this mess he helped to create.

Last edited:
You can't put the genie back into the bottle!

College bball will adjust just like it did to all major changes. One unintended consequence is staying longer is now more attractive to some peeps! This seems like a good thing for programs that like to build balanced teams like UNC! NIL and The Portal are certainly some really big changes. I love the idea of NIL but I am still unsure if the Portal is a good idea in its current, completely free style!

Reactions: tarheel0910
Seems like the only financial change for some of the Kentucky and Duke one and done recruits is they will half to pay taxes now. Perhaps it was the best way of getting all these payments out from under the table but it certainly has changed college basketball and I’m pretty sure not for the good.

The amazing thing is how the NCAA and the schools managed to continue to keep all the money and are getting the fans to pay for all of these deals while still paying thousands a year for tickets. At some point money given to colleges has to be affected and that's when something will be done. Right now why would the schools really care as it doesn't affect their money.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT