ADVERTISEMENT

sons athletic ability?

Jun 20, 2003
I want to see what you guys think. He is 41 inches tall and about 39 lbs. Not fat he has abs. He'll turn 3 next month. So he is bigger than the kids in his daycare class. He has been able to throw a ball before he was 1. He started to kick a ball around 13 months. Around 16 months he was able to run kick the ball straight catch up with it and kick it again. He never falls and has great cordination. His teacher told us none of the other kids can keep up with him. I'm not sure if it's cause he is taller than them. Then yesterday the teacher told me another parent who,is a middle school coach saw him hop in the air towards a ball and kick it before hitting the ground. He said he had never seen a two yr old do that before. I laughed and said he started doing that last summer. He does alot things that suprise other ppl when they find out his age. I don't know what other kids are able to do. So what do guys think? Is he advance or can most kids do these things.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

Groom him as a pass rusher please !
Screw that . . !

Have him shooting 3 pointers as soon as possible . .

Dr. Said he would be around 6'4 and his grandfather is in the hall of fame at WCU in basketball

superman-young-superman-lifting+car.jpg

Don't do anything….don't start getting crazy expectations….don't start training….don't do anything other than allow him to be a kid! Time, genes and his interests will point you in the right direction soon enough!!!

Thanks for the advice Gacman. I know some parents see their kids as money or a free education. I'm really not the type that's going to push him into any direction. I was just wondering if he was advanced or right on track. He did ask to play soccer so we signed him. If he doesn't average 6 goals a game he will be doing sprints though.

At 3 my youngest was throwing a ball in the air by himself and hitting it with a plastic bat. He was also catching a football at 4 that kids twice his age never could. Had a coach who played WR in college tell me he was catching balls at the highest point and that this instinct was something that couldn't be taught. You either had it or you didn't. In youth football in one season (he was 9 at the time) he had over 300 yards in receptions and we never passed the ball once in the first three games that season. There were only 8 games played. He picked up basketball in the first grade and played PG for all star teams at every level.

He is a freshman in HS this year and still plays all three sports but he isn't a "super star" in any. We avoided travel teams and focusing on one sport and I am glad we did. Had he picked one he would no doubt be very good at it, but he loves them all and I don't care if he ever plays beyond HS. His coaches actually encourage him to play other sports, which is good.

I guess my point is let your kid be a kid and enjoy the sports while he can. Let him try different ones and let him play as many as he wants. At some point he may not want to play more than one or two, but let him decide. At some point he won't be able to play anymore and so the more he enjoys it as a kid the better chance he will grow up to be a good dad whose kids are allowed to enjoy sports, too.

I tell my son all the time he is extremely fortunate to be able to play three different sports in HS and he should enjoy it while he can. If he gets a scholarship one day, gret. If not, he carries almost a 4.0 average so I won't worry about his future. He is still very much a kid and just loves playing the games. That is how it should be and he is motivated enough he doesn't need me living my dreams through him.

Consider yourself fortunate and get ready for many great times watching your kid play. And prepare to be broke all the time!

OK, so that did sound kind of ....., well, dang! SORRY!

I guess I should have followed that by saying he is now an average athlete. Not great, but not a bench warmer either. He didn't start in football and really didn't play much at all until late in the season and even then it was late in games. Basketball was better, but he wasn't in any danger of having Roy coming to see him anytime soon. Baseball has been pretty good so far but again he isn't a stud by any stretch.

I guess what I was trying to say is despite being what I thought was an "above average" athlete as a child he has basically plateaued and is just an average kid who is fortunate enough to play 3 sports right now. Chances are HS will be it as far as playing sports and I am OK with that. He is having fun and not taking it too serious and that is fine by me.

He gets good grades, stays out of trouble and takes the trash out with minimal complaining occasionally. Not much more I could ask for.

you should be proud of your son. Brag away I do all the time. I saw u went to wcu do you know Gaston Seal?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT