Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Coby

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Leaky

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
Do you want to talk about defense? Compared to what team? The entire team has problems on defense. How many wide open uncontested 3-point shots do UNC opponents get each game? Why is Virginia so good on defense? It's our style of play on defense.
Is this the same team that was being praised for its D a month or so ago?

What changed?

It's Felton's job to lose next season.
Almost certainly right. But has he earned it?

It's a shame that Seventh's injury has diminished competition for the job.

From before Jalek arrived on campus - and especially after seeing 7th struggle last season - many of us expected Jalek to easily become the heir apparent to Berry. Some even suggested Jalek would take over PG, with Joel moving to SG - to concentrate on scoring, like Marcus did. Or perhaps Jalek would move into the SG role.

Some said Seventh would transfer, because he was going to get so few minutes at point, and he was too small and not a good enough outside shooter to play SG.

Well, none of that happened. Yet.

Given that 7th wasn't 100% last season, is Jalek really doing any better than 7th did? More flash on offense, sure, but 7th was better on D.

I confess I was expecting to see a lot more improvement from Seventh this season. He improved. Definitely. But not as much as I expected. And he doesn't have the chance to blossom in the 2nd half of the season because of his injury. So I am somewhat sadly in the camp that agrees that it's Jalek's job to lose. But I'm sorry we didn't get to see those guys compete this season.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
With Kenny's shooting slump - he's 4 of 24 from deep since the UVa game - this would be a great opportunity for Jalek to step in for big minutes or even the starting spot.

But his performance hasn't earned him that shot.

I don't think you sit Kenny, but I am getting worried. Nevertheless, if I were going to give Kenny more time on the hardwood, it would be BRob getting those minutes. I'd love to see how his game looks in longer stretches - now that the game seems to be slowing down for him a bit.

I never praised the team for defense.
Maybe not you but plenty have. Here and announcers.

We've had several games - especially early in the season - where we just devastated other teams defensively out of the gate. And we've also had some close games that we pulled out or nearly pulled out by noticeably cranking up the defensive intensity late in the game.

What's changed? Are opposing coaches just preparing their guys better now that they have more film? Are they just better coaches than we were facing earlier? Did adding Cam to the lineup hurt our team D? Are our frosh falling behind the development curve as the season progresses?

I mean there could be very real reasons. Or maybe we're overreacting to a few recent embarrassments. I don't know the answer. But I suspect some here, including you, probably have some insights.

I don't know what the staff charts during the game, but they most likely to chart deflections, drawn charges, hustle plays, etc in film review post game. That's where the staff comes up with the Defensive Player of the game.

I believe he is eligible.
7 games. Doesn't it usually end up being 10 games when calculated as a percentage of regular season schedule?

Here's a question: If he comes back and plays a couple of game but his foot is a no-go and he sits the rest of the season, can he still redshirt? He would only have played 9 games, so the number works. But he came back, so does that take away the opportunity to redshirt?

Maybe not you but plenty have. Here and announcers.

We've had several games - especially early in the season - where we just devastated other teams defensively out of the gate. And we've also had some close games that we pulled out or nearly pulled out by noticeably cranking up the defensive intensity late in the game.

What's changed? Are opposing coaches just preparing their guys better now that they have more film? Are they just better coaches than we were facing earlier? Did adding Cam to the lineup hurt our team D? Are our frosh falling behind the development curve as the season progresses?

I mean there could be very real reasons. Or maybe we're overreacting to a few recent embarrassments. I don't know the answer. But I suspect some here, including you, probably have some insights.

Roy's teams have never defended the 3-point shot well. It's not rocket science stuff. Look at all the losses this year and many in prior years. The Heels lose many games when other teams kill them from the 3-point line. Nothing new. There was one play against Va Tech that the Heels had 4 players collapse to one player in the lane and the Va Tech player kicked it out to a player wide open by 10-feet. Nothing new. On the other hand, Virginia defends this stuff in all games.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
7 games. Doesn't it usually end up being 10 games when calculated as a percentage of regular season schedule?

Here's a question: If he comes back and plays a couple of game but his foot is a no-go and he sits the rest of the season, can he still redshirt? He would only have played 9 games, so the number works. But he came back, so does that take away the opportunity to redshirt?
I'm pretty sure if you come back and play after your injury you're ineligible for a medical redshirt regardless of the total number of games played.

Roy's teams have never defended the 3-point shot well. It's not rocket science stuff. Look at all the losses this year and many in prior years. The Heels lose many games when other teams kill them from the 3-point line. Nothing new. There was one play against Va Tech that the Heels had 4 players collapse to one player in the lane and the Va Tech player kicked it out to a player wide open by 10-feet. Nothing new. On the other hand, Virginia defends this stuff in all games.
I don't think of that a bad defense so much as a choice. We are betting we get more rebounds that way. And we almost always do.

The question is whether we are getting enough more rebounds to show a net gain in the scoring column. If they are hot and we aren't, then we may not see a net scoring gain from the extra shots our extra rebounds give us.

Obviously your example of 4 collapsing on 1 is a horrible gamble even if laying off some usually works to our advantage.

I'm pretty sure if you come back and play after your injury you're ineligible for a medical redshirt regardless of the total number of games played.
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I'd like to know for certain.

If that's true, that puts a lot of pressure on 7th to make the "right" decision.

Zeller came back as a frosh because he wanted to play on a championship team and didn't think he'd ever need another year of eligibility. That worked out great for him on both counts.

But Seventh already has a ring and is looking at being a lightly used backup PG both this season and for the 3rd straight season next year. Maybe for his whole career. That's an entirely different calculus from what Zeller was looking at.

We could have the NBA All-Defense first team and opponents are still going to get looks at the 3 pointer. It's Roy's style of defense - collapse and recover.

With that said, I fully recognize that we're getting beaten on the 3 ball in transition, on offensive rebounds and when we don't properly rotate. The point I'm making is that we beat these kids up for playing defense poorly and whatnot. But make no mistake, many times when we have 3 balls launched and made repeatedly against us, the guys are doing exactly what Roy has instructed them to do. They're not always playing defense poorly as much as their playing a poorly designed defense.

But Seventh already has a ring and is looking at being a lightly used backup PG both this season and for the 3rd straight season next year.

That, I disagree with. Even if he doesn't start, I think he'll play 20 mpg. I have seen absolutely nothing from Felton that makes me think he's taking the lion's share of the minutes at the 1 next year. I think we're looking at a timeshare situation. And I think both can and will play off the ball some too.

That, I disagree with. Even if he doesn't start, I think he'll play 20 mpg. I have seen absolutely nothing from Felton that makes me think he's taking the lion's share of the minutes at the 1 next year. I think we're looking at a timeshare situation. And I think both can and will play off the ball some too.
I hope you are right about getting 20 minutes. And, frankly, if he isn't hearing that from the coaching staff, he might want to consider transferring.

As for playing off the ball, I'm not so sure. Not that he couldn't, but who does he push to the bench? Kenny, Coby?

As I mentioned previously, I've been looking forward to a dazzling Felton-Woods backcourt. Many of us thought Berry might go pro last year, so that could even have happened this year. Except that Berry didn't leave and neither Felton nor Woods has lived up to their hype.

I still want to see that backcourt. Maybe next year. But I'm less excited at the prospect.

I believe it is still the case that there's a mid-season cut-off in general. Either way if he came back now for even 1 game the medical RS would go out the window.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Folks, we should be careful about writing off Felton. The vast majority of us wrote off Luke Maye.

How quickly we forget the game (Ohio State?) where Felton hit 2-3 three-pointers and had a few assists. You put Felton on another team where he would be getting 25-30 minutes a game he would be much improved by now. Felton is very athletic and can penetrate and dish off. One thing for sure, Berry is not as effective playing the number of minutes he is currently playing.

No, the minute he comes back and plays, no med redshirt.

Folks, we should be careful about writing off Felton.
Who's writing Felton off?

He's winning this poll overwhelmingly, and I'd venture to say that even most of us who voted for Woods still think Felton will be very, very good for us in the long run and may even take over that spot at some point next year. He just hasn't shown YET that he's far enough along YET for Roy to give him the reins over another player with an extra year of experience working hard and trying to do what Roy asks of him.

Folks, I think all of you should be careful about writing off Felton. The vast majority of us wrote off Luke Maye.

How quickly we forget the game (Ohio State?) where Felton hit 2-3 three-pointers and had a few assists. You put Felton on another team where he would be getting 25-30 minutes a game he would be much improved by now. Felton is very athletic and can penetrate and dish off. One thing for sure, Berry is not as effective playing the number of minutes he is currently playing.
Jalek is the real deal and will eventually show it. He is in a tough position backing up our best and most indispensable player, and hasn't had the opportunity of learning by doing.

Again, I fully get why Jalek hasn't gotten as many minutes as he hoped for --- and I've seen every transgression before the inevitable pull. That being said, I'm gonna say that Roy needs to bite the bullet and give him a regular rotation. At some point a kid's confidence can only take so much, and as much as Jalek loves UNC his body language is showing the stress and it's becoming counter-productive for him and the team.

The kid is our near future at PG, and is only an injury away from being the immediate future. And as you said, JB playing these kind of minutes is taking a toll already, and at this rate he's not gonna have any legs left in March. 10-12 minutes of Jalek would go a long way in mitigating both of those concerns.

Jalek is the real deal and will eventually show it. He is in a tough position backing up our best and most indispensable player, and hasn't had the opportunity of learning by doing.

Again, I fully get why Jalek hasn't gotten as many minutes as he hoped for --- and I've seen every transgression before the inevitable pull. That being said, I'm gonna say that Roy needs to bite the bullet and give him a regular rotation. At some point a kid's confidence can only take so much, and as much as Jalek loves UNC his body language is showing the stress and it's becoming counter-productive for him and the team.

The kid is our near future at PG, and is only an injury away from being the immediate future. And as you said, JB playing these kind of minutes is taking a toll already, and at this rate he's not gonna have any legs left in March. 10-12 minutes of Jalek would go a long way in mitigating both of those concerns.

I agree Gary and I hope it starts Saturday afternoon.

Reactions: gary-7
I agree Gary and I hope it starts Saturday afternoon.
Bingo. If there's one possible benefit of having to play that gawdawful Monday game is some time for the coaches and players to make adjustments before the next game.

I'm personally hoping the staff has been doing some self-scouting this week and picking up on things like the ball-stopping on offense I alluded to in another thread, and also some strategic assessments moving forward. One of those I hope is giving Young Felton some positive attention and getting him more involved.

My order of who should start is Coby>Jalek>Seventh

But the question asked who will start, and I think the order of that likelihood is Seventh>Jalek>Coby. That is unless Seventh takes the medical redshirt and both he and Jalek are sophomores - in which case Roy would opt for Jalek since it wouldn't be starting him over an upperclassman.

not picking on 7th but if he's the starting PG next year it will be a long season.
Felton will step up and take it, if he don't one of the freshman will.
gotta believe.

I strongly disagree! If 7th is the starting PG next year it will be because he earned it in the off season and practice! That exact same sentence with the exception of position was said about Bird and look how that turned out! I still think 7th and JF will eventually make an awesome back court! The good news is, if either doesn't progress, we have Coby and Leaky to slip in!

Reactions: FranktheHeel
Seventh will start.

I honestly thought he might transfer after this year. But after watching Jalek play (and sit...) he has to be thinking be can be the starter.

Seventh plays hard. Roy will reward him.

I'd love to see a lineup of Seventh, Coby, Kenny, Nassir, Luke. That's a hardnosed lineup right there.

I strongly disagree! If 7th is the starting PG next year it will be because he earned it in the off season and practice! That exact same sentence with the exception of position was said about Bird and look how that turned out! I still think 7th and JF will eventually make an awesome back court! The good news is, if either doesn't progress, we have Coby and Leaky to slip in!

I agree, my thought right now is a having a competition between them for the point guard spot. Quite frankly, I would like to see them both play off the ball too, but I think the need for us is if for them to both compete at the point. I think it will bring out the best in both of them and may give them that extra fire that they both need as they will know that they need to play their best each day in order to get that spot and their play will be motivated to beat the other one out. Also, the game is going to slow down for Jalek as it started to for Seventh (him not being 100% sure has not helped fully in the regard, so hopefully he can heal now) and once this happens things will start to click, so we will see who they really are and what they are capable of which I think are really great things. Next year, it will be their time to step up and take charge without Joel, so let's give them both a chance to do that and see what they are made of.

The first thing has to be them showing Roy that constant effort and intensity, which is why I think him sitting them both down and telling them that they are going to battle for it throughout the off season and pre-season practices will achieve just that. I honestly can't wait to read some reports of a tight battle between the two with both of them playing the best basketball of their careers. Can you imagine both of them playing the way they are capable of and have showed in the past, they certainly have the talent to do so, both just need that little push.

And like you said depending on where Coby and Leaky are slotted, both of those two are going to come in and can give them a run for their money too. From following Coby and reading reports on him, there is certainly a ton to love about the energy and competiveness that he brings, having him also fight with them for that spot would be very interesting, even though I see him playing off the ball a good amount too since he is such a great scorer and is versatile enough to be able to contribute as both a point guard and a 2 while on the floor since he possesses both of those instincts. I just want to see him constantly attacking the rim, no matter what.

I certainly think that all of these guys are capable of being very good point guards for us, the whole process takes time and I think it's all going to come down to who is going to work the hardest to know the system the best, please Roy by limiting their mistakes, playing hard nosed D and to show improvement in their all around game allowing them to be the guy that gets the job. I feel that's the fairest way, but you know what this year is still going on and Jalek has a chance with Seventh out and as the clear backup to get going and show Roy that he can be the one and earn himself that role as his. It will certainly be interesting to see how things play out, in the end all I want is the best one out of the bunch running our team.

Last edited:
I hope 7th gets that medical red shirt this year and sticks around because a 5th year Sr Seventh Woods, could be very special.

On this PG for next year consideration, IMO Coby is much more a 2 than a PG, I argued at length this past off season that Coby could in a pinch come in and handle the point and I still feel that way but we have other options that IMO fit the point need better. Now what I am going to say assumes 7th will be back as well as Jalek, that was not as clear in the off season as it may be today, at very least as it applies to Jalek.

With that said, IMO we have a 3 way battle for the lead PG role next season and 3 very different PG styles of PGs. Jalek IMO is the most PG talented but his instincts are more that of a scorer and he takes a lot of risks that are not always the best path. He is a streaky jump shooter and he has a lot of work to do on his defense, doesn't seem to really embrace being a defender. He has a great op right now to establish himself as the starter when Joel leaves but the time is now for the kid to step things up.

7th, IMO embraces the role of defensive PG, physically very solid, great athlete but not a great shooter especially at the trey arch. See him as a bit more athletic Dexter and IMO that is praise and gives him every shot at earning the lead role next season, it is not a no brainer that he can not beat Jalek out for the role. His ball handles scare me, has to be much stronger with the ball.

Guys, don't forget about Baby Jet, from what I hear folks are surprised at how well he has handled his transition running the scout team in practice, he may be more of the traditional UNC PG than any of the three. Very quick, may be the fastest with the dribble on the team, looks to set up his mates much more than score, bit of a poor mans Ed Cota, VALUES THE BALL!

At the 2, Roy loves Kenny's defense but I am telling ya right now that kenny will have his hands really full holding off Coby at the 2 and I really do think Platek will push them for PT as well. It would not shock me at all for Coby to be our starter at the 2 by the ACC slate next season because the kid goes all out on both sides of the ball. If he doesn't start you can bank on him for over 20mins a game, maybe more PT than the starter at the 2.

Little IMO swings between the 3 and 4, he may be a better fit at the 4 actually, he starts at 1 of those positions. If at the 4 then Luke moves to the 5, if at the wing then Luke to the 4 with Manley (which I prefer). The wings IMO will be backed up by BRob and Leaky.

Reactions: FranktheHeel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT