ADVERTISEMENT

Super Bowl game thread!

Is it just me, or does Eli seem... um... disappointed? He's got a Fredo Corleone vibe there.
uADKKWv.gif

The kid in front, with the lanyard, is epic!

Admittedly running on fumes this morning, but let's not blame the refs for this. They were bad last night, and they were bad all season -- just like field conditions, everyone has to deal with them and sometimes, everyone comes up on the wrong side of it. Just sucks that our turn was on the biggest stage.

Beyond that, it's really disappointing to me how unprepared this team was. I understand Ron Rivera wanting to keep things even-keel and all, but when this entire game is one bit beauty pageant and ridiculous media hype, and all the crap they have to go through for the NFL trying to rope in the "casual fan," it's impossible to think you're going to come into it with the same mental approach as you do every other week of the season.

Maybe it's youth or whatever, but this team played like they expected to show up and rely on talent alone and it looked like "some of them" gave about half the effort. Denver just wanted it more, and that is very disappointing.

Case in point -- I would screenshot this if it were still up, but Philly Brown tweeted at halftime about how good of a show Bruno Mars was putting on. When I saw that, I literally just throw my phone on the floor and walked out. Completely unacceptable. I was already worried about how this young team was mentally preparing for this, and I thought from the reports coming out of there that they were doing it right but I think I was mistaken -- they did the right things to stay out of legal trouble...they did not do the right things to be mentally prepared to play in a championship game.

Had no answer for their pass rush all game. Really the whole defense, as they did a good job covering up our receivers and pretty much stuffed the run as well, but especially the pass rush. Our D played well enough to win, but our O had too many turnovers and too few points to get it done. That blown call on the early first-down pass leading to a fumble TD was a killer. Still can't believe they didn't overturn that one after review. Ball never touched the ground.

A great season by the Panthers, ending in disappointment. Hopefully we can keep the pieces intact and use it for motivation next year.

One more thing, looking ahead -- I really REALLY hope Thomas Davis comes back. I know they drafted Shaq Thompson as his eventual replacement, but successful NFL teams need the type of leadership that guy brings -- yes they get K.Benjamin back next year, but without people like TD in that locker room, I don't think they'll get back to this spot.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
86% of the money in Vegas was bet on Carolina ....this was a HUGE win for the big Vegas books and it started with the non-overturn review of the catch early in the game.

Weird how that worked out, huh? Wasn't it 15-6 in penalties as well?

Have no dog in the fight as a Skins fan....Really kind of a sloppy, bad game D on both sides were completely dominant

Manning is so limited physically and it really showed. This HAS to be his last game he has nothing left and goes out on top.

Newton ..... looked out of sorts from the beginning.... looked almost dehydrated and weak, gasping for air and just not right for some reason

penalties, penalties for BOTH teams personal fouls etc just way too many errors for BOTH teams

Manning was barely adequate and Newton just was under massive pressure man oh man can Von Miller get after the passer he reminds me of LT and there are VERY few players one can say that about a TOTAL defensive disrupter.

halftime as ok I like Coldplay, Beyonce is all sizzle... shake her booty and hair, other than that no real talent
Other than a few like the Heinz weiner dogs and Walken , the Commercials were terrible.... the three WORST commercials in Super Bowl history occurred tonight

1 OIC constipation for opioid use

2Irritable Bowel syndrome

3) Toe fungus
The Honda commercial for the sports car was terrible. What a noisy commercial. Prius commercial was also terrible.

Didnt have a dog in the hunt but heres my take

One of the sloppiest, dullest i've ever watched

I myself loved the halftime show. Very entertaining. Gaga hit it out of the parknon the anthem

Worst commercials ever though.

Cam coulda handled himself better in the pc afterward

It was a catch

Cam missed open receivers esp early that woulda been huge plays

Dropped passes, false starts cost at least 100yds

Reactions: BillyL
86% of the money in Vegas was bet on Carolina ....this was a HUGE win for the big Vegas books and it started with the non-overturn review of the catch early in the game.
really 86%? I heard late money was going on Denver but never heard any amount.

Ugh...I'm too nauseous to consider this right now. Already have enough bad memories over the conspiracy surrounding the loss to New England in the Super Bowl.

Officiating was one sided Denver OL was allowed a lot more holding I guess cause Payton is immobile. Denver DB's had several interference calls missed. Talib was clearly off sides on the missed FG (even douche bag Simms said so). How do you miss a clear catch on the replay? The guy in the booth should have been walked out last night. There is probably no way to discipline officials because of their union.

Case in point -- I would screenshot this if it were still up, but Philly Brown tweeted at halftime about how good of a show Bruno Mars was putting on. When I saw that, I literally just throw my phone on the floor and walked out.

I'm pretty Philly was concussed and out for the game by halftime!

really 86%? I heard late money was going on Denver but never heard any amount.
At one point it was over 90% but got balanced out a bit by game time. The Vegas books were PETRIFIED by these figures and stood to lose MILLIONS if the Panthers covered. It's not that hard to figure out.

The refs, Tolbert's slick hands, Cam's horrible effort culminating with his staring at a loose ball post-fumble with 4 minutes left.....yup.

Reactions: UNC71-00
At one point it was over 90% but got balanced out a bit by game time. The Vegas books were PETRIFIED by these figures and stood to lose MILLIONS if the Panthers covered. It's not that hard to figure out.

The refs, Tolbert's slick hands, Cam's horrible effort culminating with his staring at a loose ball post-fumble with 4 minutes left.....yup.

Agreed. Every contest, be it sports, politics, spelling bees, etc., can be fixed. The only issue is whether or not someone has a motive and the means to put in the fix.

So I don't think every game is necessarily crooked, but there is no doubt that some are- this Super Bowl being an example of one which was.

And I also don't care- I'm a casual Panthers fan at best. I get far more upset at the UNC club hockey team losing than I do if the Panthers lose.

Who else needed Red Bull just to stay awake during that game last night? It wasn't a complete let down, but it certainly wasn't what I would call an "exciting" Super Bowl. Don't get me wrong, I love defense. Absolutely love it. But even then I like big plays. There were few last night.

Ok so the refs screwed up that catch/drop challenge, but that was really the only blatantly bad call. I enjoy conspiracy theories as much as the next guy - so I'll grant you that the league may have been willing to throw the game to Denver if needed. However, they didn't need to. Maybe the game would have been fixed in the event Denver didn't outplay the Panthers the way they did, and won it on their own.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
Ok so the refs screwed up that catch/drop challenge, but that was really the only blatantly bad call. I enjoy conspiracy theories as much as the next guy - so I'll grant you that the league may have been willing to throw the game to Denver if needed. However, they didn't need to. Maybe the game would have been fixed in the event Denver didn't outplay the Panthers the way they did, and won it on their own.

But how does the league benefit from having Denver win? Because of Manning? Wouldn't it be a wiser business decision to prop up a player and team that will again be a threat next year? I mean, if the league was going to put in the fix, wouldn't they want Cam to be the new face of the league moving forward? And the fact that he's black would strengthen that conspiracy theory.

Those false starts were all on carolina. Take those out and the penalties are real close so i dont see any suspicious stuff there.

I could make a better case for cam throwing the game than the refs. His body language was terrible. He missed wide open receivers, didnt block on that end around (favre woulda stuck his head in) and wouldnt go afternthat fumble. Maybe his dad placed some bets?

Reactions: gunslingerdick
I'll never buy into any "fixed" game theory. The Panthers played excellent defense (Denver had less than 200 yards, and were 1-14 on third downs). They had their chances, but the 4-5 big plays all went the Broncos way. It sucks, but hopefully they will learn from it and come back stronger.

Last edited:
Yeah, the fumble that he backed away from was pretty bad move on Cam's part. Maybe he thought it was a dead ball (like his arm was coming forward or something, but highly unlikely). Plus, the whistle hadn't blown. If he gets in there and gets the ball, they punt it away but with still enough time to get the ball once more.

I actually thought the officiating was very pro-Panthers for most of the first half except for the replay, which was a catch. Carolina was holding Denver a lot as well and the first unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Talib was ridiculous. I absolutely hate Denver but was kind of neutral on the game. I like Peyton but really like Cam and the Panthers as well. I disagree on it being dull though. I thought the defenses for both teams were really fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT