ADVERTISEMENT

Team speed and quickness on defense

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
The one thing that really caught me eye last night was how NC State seemed so much quicker and faster than UNC looked like most of the game especially on defense. Barber got to the rim anytime he wanted to or got off his jump shot without any problems. He tore up Paige first, then Britt and then he also had his way with Berry.

Lacey in the second half did the same thing to Tokoto and it looked to me that UNC was a step behind anytime their guards had the ball.

The bigs did not have a stellar game defending as well as State dominated the offense glass especially in the first half.

I wonder if Meeks, Johnson, and Berry are still under the weather because both big men had a terrible time finishing down low and Berry was way off on some passes.

The team just looked tired and a bit slow last night. Did anyone else notice the quockness and speed factor?

Originally posted by IDUNK4HEELS:
The one thing that really caught me eye last night was how NC State seemed so much quicker and faster than UNC looked like most of the game especially on defense. Barber got to the rim anytime he wanted to or got off his jump shot without any problems. He tore up Paige first, then Britt and then he also had his way with Berry.
I'm not sure I agree with that. It may have looked like Paige was getting beaten, but frankly, having Barber take 12' jumpshots was probably exactly what Roy wanted.

Lacey in the second half did the same thing to Tokoto and it looked to me that UNC was a step behind anytime their guards had the ball.
I disagree completely with this. I thought JP did a nice job of denying and staying in front and then challenging shots. Lacey was 4/13 shooting on the night. He did some other things well like rebound and make some disruptive plays. But that had nothing to do with JP's defense on him.

The bigs did not have a stellar game defending as well as State dominated the offense glass especially in the first half.
Brice was awful. Meeks was too in the first half and then came to play in the second half. But he struggles when defended by strong guys. You'd think he would have trouble with tall and long guys but really, he struggles with guys that he can't bully. And the reality here is that we just missed some easy shots around the rim that could have (should have) gone down. But to that point, this is happening far more often than it should be. We are a bad team at finishing around the rim. Hicks has forgotten how to go after rebounds. I think he's getting too caught up on trying to score when he gets in the games. He needs to go back to where he comes in for rebounds, defense and putbacks.

I wonder if Meeks, Johnson, and Berry are still under the weather because both big men had a terrible time finishing down low and Berry was way off on some passes.

The team just looked tired and a bit slow last night. Did anyone else notice the quockness and speed factor?
Sluggish...like a wet sponge.
airplane_robert_hays_ted_striker_sweating_profusely.png

Yes, we did look slow. And this isn't the first time I've noticed it. I've seen us look this way plenty this year. That's why I don't think it's related to any of our guys being sick. This team has to think too much when we should be reacting instinctively. But you can almost see it on the guys' faces. Nothing comes naturally with this team.

I agree there are some traits this team is missing that wish we had. Specifically, we do not have guard able to break a defender down with the dribble with that nasty quickness and speed. I DO THINK Joel will become a bit of that in a Ray Felton type mold. I would suggest Britt may be the quickest & fastest but is not IMO a real solid ball handle, certainly nota guy to break legs with a cross over.

We don't have that intimidating rim protecting center, you know, like Ky has 3 of right now... And of course we only have one legit jump shooter from distance and defenses make him job 1 to stop.

Our guards in addition to not being overly quick do not have the physical strength to match many of the opposing guards we face. JP does but he really isn't a 1 or 2, he is a wing that plays a lot at the 2. But a wing should not be able to really stay in front of many 2 guards and JP struggles to. Truth is Marcus is really a 2 guard, as I have been saying for well over a year, he struggles with staying in front of most good PGs. I am not sure who Britt can most often stay in front of, when he actually does we will talk.

So yeah, there are some things we are missing for sure but don't take what I just said as my thinkin we can not be a really good team with the guys we have. I think the MAJOR issue is this season we have been so dis-jointed. It began with Marcus having the foot aliment and had limited practices, went from there to seeming to infect the whole team. Truth is since about early to mid jan Roy has not been able to know who was going to be available and who wasn't from one day to the next. Guys being injured then guys being sick, guys being sick again, Dean passing, just very few practices with everyone able to go and sooner or later any team is going to suffer from that. Other teams have been able to have those practices, their players improve from them, we have not and it is beginning to show. WE were a very good team thru early feb but the lack of practice time will sooner or later show itself and we are seeing it crystal clear now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT