ADVERTISEMENT

The Cole Anthony Show

And I’m happy to enjoy every minute-what a different player without the goggles-haha-Platek deserves to start next game in my opinion. Kid works his tail off, got stronger, can shoot it, great D, loves bring a Heel-I’m happy when he’s on the court .

Reactions: Realfreedom
Well he has really set the bar high from here on out. In a couple of games we will be complaining about how he has peaked too early. That’s the way we are as Heels’ fans never satisfied. Great game Cole!

Reactions: DaSheed
Great job Platek, I never said waisted scholly, but I've had my doubts for sure.

Cole Anthony show this year for sure. Catch and shoot guys that get hot will have big nights with this guy.

Long season, and other guys will gel around Anthony, but without question Cole has got to play well for us nightly.

Reactions: Archer2
Cole was amazing. As good a performance as I've seen in that building in a while. That it was done by a freshman in his first college game makes it even more incredible. My worry is that he was the while show. If he is off, I dont know where the offense comes from

Cole was awesome. Not a big fan of how many shots he took, but he was very efficient. In the long run I think we're in trouble if he can't get others involved. He was clearly hunting his shot even when teammates were open. 5 assists and 4 TOs in 37 minutes is pretty bad. On the other hand we're very inexperienced. If he takes over games early, and ramps up assists over the next few weeks I'll be happy.

I've always felt comfortable when Platek comes in the game. He's athletic enough, always in the right place at the right time, and doesn't make mistakes. He's also sneaky around the basket. Doesn't go inside a lot but finds ways to finish.

Cole was awesome. Not a big fan of how many shots he took, but he was very efficient. In the long run I think we're in trouble if he can't get others involved. He was clearly hunting his shot even when teammates were open. 5 assists and 4 TOs in 37 minutes is pretty bad.
Is this serious??? Whoa! Nobody could throw it in the ocean first half. There are plenty of times when Cole could have shot last night but passed it off to a more open man. Is he supposed to pass it to a bunch of guys who demonstrably couldn't score last night? Or do the right thing to get them to all that matters - the W at the final horn?

This sort of BS post will lead to the return of the infamous "blown assists" stat.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Is this serious??? Whoa! Nobody could throw it in the ocean first half. There are plenty of times when Cole could have shot last night but passed it off to a more open man. Is he supposed to pass it to a bunch of guys who demonstrably couldn't score last night? Or do the right thing to get them to all that matters - the W at the final horn?

This sort of BS post will lead to the return of the infamous "blown assists" stat.

Ermmm...The rest of the team shot 45% from 3 and 42% from 2 (dragged down quite a bit by Leaky...everyone else shot well). Cole shot 46% from 2 and 54% from 3. FG% was also dragged down by very few assists (16) and a lot of TOs(18). Basically people weren't catching the ball in a good position to score.

That's not all on Cole by any means, but as the floor general it is one place he absolutely has to improve.

But also....I agreed with you. I said

Cole was awesome.
He may have to take over games early in the season.
He needs to get more people involved as the season progresses.

Love his game and it was obviously amazing for his first time out.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
not gonna dog on Platek because he did play good last night but lets pump the breaks. he's a junior who is in his 3rd year with the program. hitting a couple open 3's and playing good defense should be the expectation if he wants minutes. guys like him and Huffman have had 3 offseasons with us, they should be able to do more than just be hustle players and minute eaters

Reactions: jimvanhecke
Roy also agrees with my underlying premise. In post game he complimented Cole, but didn't like the TOs, and said the rest of the team has to get involved.

We could debate whether Cole was hunting his shot, but it is primarily his role to involve others.

Cole was awesome. Not a big fan of how many shots he took, but he was very efficient. In the long run I think we're in trouble if he can't get others involved. He was clearly hunting his shot even when teammates were open. 5 assists and 4 TOs in 37 minutes is pretty bad. On the other hand we're very inexperienced. If he takes over games early, and ramps up assists over the next few weeks I'll be happy.

I've always felt comfortable when Platek comes in the game. He's athletic enough, always in the right place at the right time, and doesn't make mistakes. He's also sneaky around the basket. Doesn't go inside a lot but finds ways to finish.

Jesus christ this is a bad take.

unchampions: I hope that what you posted was a knee jerk reaction. Just an FYI: Preseason practices have focused on defense, as Roy specifically noted in his post game comments and I have mentioned several times. In the coming weeks of practices, offensive work will take center stage. Don't think you even noticed that our offense other than Cole was stagnant due to running primarily free lance offense the entire game.

Roy and the staff will work very diligently with this team to teach spacing,
single and double screens to get shooters open for their shots..., shots by the way, that Keeling, Pierce, Leaky, and others can & will make in the near future. We saw none of that last night. So, you might want to re-think your statements.

unchampions: I hope that what you posted was a knee jerk reaction. Just an FYI: Preseason practices have focused on defense, as Roy specifically noted in his post game comments and I have mentioned several times. In the coming weeks of practices, offensive work will take center stage. Don't think you even noticed that our offense other than Cole was stagnant due to running primarily free lance offense the entire game.

Roy and the staff will work very diligently with this team to teach spacing,
single and double screens to get shooters open for their shots..., shots by the way, that Keeling, Pierce, Leaky, and others can & will make in the near future. We saw none of that last night. So, you might want to re-think your statements.
Coach speak. Well done sir!

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2

Good for a laugh if nothing else.

Reactions: Heelicious
The unchampions guy said it was a bad thing that "Cole took a large number of shots and was efficient."

That is literally the goal of the sport of basketball.

Yeah. That's why I pointed it out and complimented him overall.

It is one game, which I also mentioned. My point is we don't want to see the season go like that, which Roy also said.

The rest of the team shot reasonably well, and he absolutely could have involved them more.

If our whole season went like that game, Cole would have the worst assist/minute next to JB going back to 2002. He'd have the worst A:TO in 20 years and probably ever.

I don't think that will happen. Cole will be a top 5 pick and be in the hunt for the Wooden Award.

I was making a subtle point which is apparently lost on this board.

It is one game, which I also mentioned. My point is we don't want to see the season go like that, which Roy also said.

The rest of the team shot reasonably well, and he absolutely could have involved them more.

If our whole season went like that game, Cole would have the worst assist/minute next to JB going back to 2002. He'd have the worst A:TO in 20 years and probably ever.

I don't think that will happen. Cole will be a top 5 pick and be in the hunt for the Wooden Award.

Serious question, did you watch the game?

I ask because you're so hung up on the A:TO ratio and if you actually watched and understood the game then you'd know that stat said literally nothing about how Cole played last night.

Reactions: Tarheel75
unchampions: In the coming weeks of practices, offensive work will take center stage.

I also said Cole may need to take over games early in the season.

Everyone is reiterating the points I made, while claiming I'm somehow misreading the situation.

Cole was awesome. Not a big fan of how many shots he took, but he was very efficient. In the long run I think we're in trouble if he can't get others involved. He was clearly hunting his shot even when teammates were open. 5 assists and 4 TOs in 37 minutes is pretty bad.

Really man did you watch the game or did you just skim through the highlights? When Cole would pass up shots to pass to an open player only for them to pass it back out. Someone has to shoot the "dagumm" ball. As Roy said, other players have to be tough enough to take some shots and make them. I think Cole and Platek feed off each other very well. I think there were moments when players were standing around watching Cole to see what he does.Cole is going to be a "I'm going to get players involved.. it's up to you to take advantage... if not i'm taking over" kind of guard. He's a win at all cost type of PG and guess what.. I LIKE IT!

Serious question, did you watch the game?

I ask because you're so hung up on the A:TO ratio and if you actually watched and understood the game then you'd know that stat said literally nothing about how Cole played last night.

Did you read the postgame where Roy said we needed to get the rest of the team involved? That's my main point. I'd like that person to be Cole, and I'm sure it will be in the long run.

Did you read the postgame where Roy said we needed to get the rest of the team involved? That's my main point. I'd like that person to be Cole, and I'm sure it will be in the long run.

I agree in due time. Perhaps the scouting report says to respect his drive. Force him to make the shot. Once teams realize they have to do both, he can toy with them and unleash his dimes. We haven't seen his sick handles yet.

Really man did you watch the game or did you just skim through the highlights? When Cole would pass up shots to pass to an open player only for them to pass it back out. Someone has to shoot the "dagumm" ball. As Roy said, other players have to be tough enough to take some shots and make them. I think Cole and Platek feed off each other very well. I think there were moments when players were standing around watching Cole to see what he does.Cole is going to be a "I'm going to get players involved.. it's up to you to take advantage... if not i'm taking over" kind of guard. He's a win at all cost type of PG and guess what.. I LIKE IT!
5 star post and assessment IMO. Especially the “if nobody else steps up - get out of the way and I will. I won’t let us lose. Period”.

Roy also agrees with my underlying premise. In post game he complimented Cole, but didn't like the TOs, and said the rest of the team has to get involved.

We could debate whether Cole was hunting his shot, but it is primarily his role to involve others.
But other guys stepping up and doing better has zero to do with Cole doing one single thing different

Your comment on Cole’s primary role - ON THIS YEAR’S TEAM makeup - especially early and with injuries - is 100% false. His role now is to get us the most points, the best way he knows how. Last night that looked like taking every shot he took - every single shot.

Trade out his second half shots and scoring for passing it to others who struggled to get 2s and struggled from the line. It’s a good chance we lose. But hey we would’ve lost “the right way”. Is that what we’re looking for here?

I'd like to see Cole be a complete floor general and not just a scorer.

I'm sure he will be. I was comparing one game to what I'd like to see for the season.

It is false that everyone else was garbage on O, and he absolutely could have involved others more.

I made a minor critique, and didn't expect this to get so negative.

I'll drop it so we can focus on the positives, which was the point of the thread. Should have posted the comment elsewhere.

Peace

If Cole doesn't shoot we don't win! On a different squad or a different Tarheel team he would need to play slightly different.

As the headline states "Cole Anthony show".

Reactions: xtarheelx
I also said Cole may need to take over games early in the season.

Everyone is reiterating the points I made, while claiming I'm somehow misreading the situation.

Understand what your saying, it's the meat of your post that I & others have issue with, especially since the offensive schemes have not yet been installed nor practiced. Then you will see more activity and shots being taken by others. Cole took over the game because he had to, if not we lose, it's that simple. It's too early..., way to early to make definitive statements like yours.

If others can’t or doesn’t want to be the one to carry the team then he may have to be that leader. Primary role is to get the win and we did that with a lot of help from cole.

Just glad it’s a Tar Heel that now has the record for most points in a debut and not some dookie.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

No, your point wasn't subtle at all. If you go find Cole's post game interview, he specifically talks about those TO's, and he will work those down. What you should be totally aware of, is that without that stat line, and I mean the entire stat line, we lose this game. What you saw last night will not be as one sided in the future.

Edit to add: Ok, ok , I'm just gonna let you die on your hill.

Last edited:

idiotic response...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT