Gold Member
Apr 20, 2006
Can the Heels go 5-0?

12/30 -Wake Forest--Home
1/3-Florida State--Away
1/6-Virgina--Away
1/9-Boston College-Home
1/13- Notre Dame -Away

It is possible but I would expect one loss out of that stretch unless the Bigs step up and create a Big time presence

Can the Heels go 5-0?

12/30 -Wake Forest--Home
1/3-Florida State--Away
1/6-Virgina--Away
1/9-Boston College-Home
1/13- Notre Dame -Away

I'd say the odds of going 5-0 in those games is very slim, but I'd love to see it.

Agreed. I'd like to think we steal one of those road games (hoping for 2), but 3-2 sounds about right to me. 4-1 would be fantastic.

Gotta hold serve at home too. As we saw last Wednesday night, we can play down to anyone's level, & even at home nothing is a given.

Can the Heels go 5-0?

12/30 -Wake Forest--Home
1/3-Florida State--Away
1/6-Virgina--Away
1/9-Boston College-Home
1/13- Notre Dame -Away
Oh, we can, but boy, those are 5 different styles and thus, different challenges in relatively short order.

Wake will give some people trouble because of their length, but it's not developed or skilled enough to be a big threat just yet.

F$U is very talented but their lack of offensive discipline tends to be a favorable match-up for us. If we can defend them hard from the get-go that will help.

UVA away. Whew, that's always an ugly game and a big challenge and they're a lot better than many thought they would be. The Core Four will need to be on point.

BC is tough and physical and their coach does a good job making them competitive. We're far more talented but I'm glad we've got em at home.

ND, ironically, may be a favorable match-up for us with our non-traditional Hybrid lineup. It's still gonna be be tough on the road.

Ahh, the grind of the ACC... :oops::cool:

Oh, we can, but boy, those are 5 different styles and thus, different challenges in relatively short order.

Wake will give some people trouble because of their length, but it's not developed or skilled enough to be a big threat just yet.

F$U is very talented but their lack of offensive discipline tends to be a favorable match-up for us. If we can defend them hard from the get-go that will help.

UVA away. Whew, that's always an ugly game and a big challenge and they're a lot better than many thought they would be. The Core Four will need to be on point.

BC is tough and physical and their coach does a good job making them competitive. We're far more talented but I'm glad we've got em at home.

ND, ironically, may be a favorable match-up for us with our non-traditional Hybrid lineup. It's still gonna be be tough on the road.

Ahh, the grind of the ACC... :oops::cool:
Our style fits best against UVA this year actually. We are a jumpshooting team that shoots a lot of 3s. This negates a lot of UVA's pack it in defense which hurt us a lot inside in the past.

I see 3-2 or even 2-3. All of those away games could present problems and are venues that the Heels have had tough games in the past.

2-3 would not shock me at all, FSU/UVa/ND all on the road, while with our ranking we will likely be favored in each I would actually think we would be the underdogs in each of them. FSU and all that length that will challenge directly to the heart of our area of most concern, our front court. UVa and that smothering pac line defense, how well they switch on the pass rather than the catch, how they stall out tempo, how they clog up the inside yet still make it hard to get clean outside looks. And ND is a team we match up better size wise but they are well coached and can shoot. 3 very different styles and 3 huge challenges.

Our style fits best against UVA this year actually. We are a jumpshooting team that shoots a lot of 3s. This negates a lot of UVA's pack it in defense which hurt us a lot inside in the past.
Our 3-point ability can certainly be an asset against them. We know they want a half-court game and ironically one of our strengths this season has been our abiity to execute in absence of transition.

The Heels need to prove that the Wofford game was a fluke. I'm going to go with 4-1. Holding serve at home and winning 2 road games would be exactly what the doctor ordered.

I'll say 3-2, not ruling out 2-3. @fsu and @uva I'm predicting as losses. Roy will still be playing pinball with the lineups and those venues aren't kind even to our best teams.

5 - 0 is possible but not likely .. but I do look forward to Roy starting to tighten his rotation a bit as we move in to conference play. Virginia could be an interesting game because of their defense and tempo. If we can go 4-1 then that's not a bad 5 game stretch .. jmho

5 wins 0 losses. It's the ACC schedule and the fellas will come out ready to play. Re-peat regular season champs.:D

My best guess is we win at least 1 of these 3 that I am worried about so am thinking more along the line of 3-2 or 4-1 over the stretch.

I'll chime in: I think we can go 5-0, and I expect the worst to be 4-1. I will be disappointed in anything less than 4-1, but I'm confident that Roy has our team on the right track. I see a really scary team that on its best day can beat anybody out there, but on its worst can lose as well. I expect to see more good days than bad as our Bigs catch up, but I will not be surprised by a few more bad losses!

I predict we might lose a close, but ugly game at UVA when our O gets disrupted, we get behind early, and fall just short with a chance to win at the end. OR another physical arse whipping in the first half at FSU; we adjust at the half and lose by 5 due to foul trouble and inconsistent post play. Both scenarios are based on slow starts so I hope to see them come out aggressive and at maximum energy at the beginning of every game!

I'll chime in: I think we can go 5-0, and I expect the worst to be 4-1. I will be disappointed in anything less than 4-1, but I'm confident that Roy has our team on the right track. I see a really scary team that on its best day can beat anybody out there, but on its worst can lose as well. I expect to see more good days than bad as our Bigs catch up, but I will not be surprised by a few more bad losses!

I predict we might lose a close, but ugly game at UVA when our O gets disrupted, we get behind early, and fall just short with a chance to win at the end. OR another physical arse whipping in the first half at FSU; we adjust at the half and lose by 5 due to foul trouble and inconsistent post play. Both scenarios are based on slow starts so I hope to see them come out aggressive and at maximum energy at the beginning of every game!

Good post.

Hmmm.....
Wake-----------W
FSU-------------L (Too much pressure)
Virginia---------L (We suck there)
BC---------------W (but if they shoot like they did against dook...L)
ND---------------W (But only if colson only has 8 rebounds)

Can the Heels go 5-0?

12/30 -Wake Forest--Home
1/3-Florida State--Away
1/6-Virgina--Away
1/9-Boston College-Home
1/13- Notre Dame -Away
One loss would be a good result. Not as good a zero, of course, but not bad.

Two losses would be acceptable - considering the road games - and are more likely.

Three or more losses would be a bad outcome, but could happen.

Might want to add Clemson to that stretch. Despite the talent they lost, they're off to a pretty good start. I don't think this is the year they break our streak, but you know they want to.

Will be interesting to see how much time the "Death Five" (Cam, Berry, Kenny, Maye and Pinson) are on the floor at the same time.

We’ll find out what FSU has in the next 3 games(at d00k, UNC, at Miami).
Brutal! That's the toughest start to conference play I can recall.

Hard to tell how good they are. They have one good win - @ Florida by 17 points. And one not-too-bad, 1-point loss - to OK State. But nine of their 12 pre-conference games were against creampuffs.

Reactions: Archer2

If they pack it in, and we resort to shooting 25 3s, we will be blown out. That is exactly what they want.

If they pack it in, and we resort to shooting 25 3s, we will be blown out. That is exactly what they want.
Well, if we miss a lot, then yes. But if they can't cover all our shooters and our guys are hitting at a reasonable clip, that will certainly be a change from our usual games.

Well, if we miss a lot, then yes. But if they can't cover all our shooters and our guys are hitting at a reasonable clip, that will certainly be a change from our usual games.

We are 3rd in the conference in 3 point %. We shoot 19 a game. That tells me we are taking quality shots from 3. However, we are 11th in 2 point %. That tells me we struggle getting quality shots as a whole.

UVA's defensive philosophy is to make you take a contested mid range 2, and they are happy if you resort to taking the easy way out and shoot deep 3s over the defense. If we make them great, but I'm sure every team that plays UVA has that plan. We usually beat them by turning them over and getting out in transition. We will not win a half court slugfest with them IMO.

We are 3rd in the conference in 3 point %. We shoot 19 a game. That tells me we are taking quality shots from 3. However, we are 11th in 2 point %. That tells me we struggle getting quality shots as a whole.

UVA's defensive philosophy is to make you take a contested mid range 2, and they are happy if you resort to taking the easy way out and shoot deep 3s over the defense. If we make them great, but I'm sure every team that plays UVA has that plan. We usually beat them by turning them over and getting out in transition. We will not win a half court slugfest with them IMO.

Well at least that UVa PG that was there for what, 12-15yrs or so is finally gone! The key to beating UVa is first, contain Guy, don't help off him, don't give him clean looks, especially early. I do think we are going to have to jump shoot well, you really want to spread that UVa defense if you can, they have to come out to you if you hit those jumpers, they want to pack things in and contest every pass inside the paint on the pass more than on the catch and they are going to beck off Theo and try to bait him in to either taking the long jumper or trying to drive thru traffic and take away his passing angles. I would like to see Theo step in to the middle and make quicker decisions, especially off pump fake passes.

Luke IMO will be a key, kryptonite for UVa's defense is a big man stepping out and hitting jumpers, they want your bigs to stay in the paint so they can rotate to them on the pass and force a quick decision by a big man that is not used to having to be supreme passers. So if Luke can step out and hit a couple they are going to be forced to send one of their bigs out with him, severely weakens their pac man scheme.

Big problem we have when we play UVa is they basically give you the defensive boards, they will leave 1 man in to rebound and every one else drops back in defense, really effects our primary and secondary breaks, puts in more half court offense. You have to find their rebounder and get a solid body on him, just can not give them the offensive boards when they allow you to out man them.

UVa milks the shot clock, they try to control tempo and keep things close for a chance to win at the end such that a 10pt lead on them is like 20 in other games. Again, Kyle Guy is a 3pt assassin, Kenny needs to stay in his grill and every now and them switch Joel off on him and Joel needs to stay in his face when that happens.GTive hijm open looks and he can erase a lead quick!

Reactions: Archer2
I will never except a loss due to a Guy with a man bun! I think we have the defenders to stay in his grill and we can switch off on him to tire him out. We will have to fight our instincts ad not help off of him so we will see how that goes, especially early/. Who else do they have that is a match-up problem?

I will never except a loss due to a Guy with a man bun! I think we have the defenders to stay in his grill and we can switch off on him to tire him out. We will have to fight our instincts ad not help off of him so we will see how that goes, especially early/. Who else do they have that is a match-up problem?
The good news about UVA this season is they don't have dominant post players to overwhelm our pups. Salt is a train-wreck whom you hafta keep off the boards, but he's not an offensive force. We may actually match up with them pretty well. The challenge is playing up there as they always seem to light it up. Constant pressure on their perimeter guys is in order.

Away games at FSU, Virginia, and Notre Dame and people are expecting 5-0 or 4-1? Pass the dutchie, please.

I'll be happy to hold serve at home and steal one away game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT