ADVERTISEMENT

THI Football Central: Minnesota

From what I saw briefly we need to get jacolby ready because Conner is shaky and looks very fragile

All the negativity, all the whining and moaning and "we did this bad, he screwed up, we suck".

We won the ****ing game you bunch of miserable sad sacks.
Sometimes just because you win doesn’t tell the whole story. We survived and got very lucky. I will take it but you can’t say the missed tackles for example made you happy. A win is a win but not the whole story. Defense for the majority of the game played better but still glimpses of last year and past years were there.

finally got some fat guys up front on defense playing hard, looked more physical on both lines, and showed some grit to just keeping playing…collins is a gift to this program considering what’s been there.

the elephant in the room is the qb position…and not just because there’s no sam or drake…i think it’ll get better just because the jump from week one is always big.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Sometimes just because you win doesn’t tell the whole story. We survived and got very lucky. I will take it but you can’t say the missed tackles for example made you happy. A win is a win but not the whole story. Defense for the majority of the game played better but still glimpses of last year and past years were there.
I'm not naive, its the piss poor attitude of some of the posters here that is so tired. So immature.
Ignore button does wonders.

Regardless of everything that happened last night a win on the road to open the season is a GIANT step in the right direction. Now with three straight winnable games at home the team has a excellent opportunity to grow and to work some things out both offensively and defensively

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
From what I saw briefly we need to get jacolby ready because Conner is shaky and looks very fragile
Without a doubt. AS I have said many times, he is from not just AL but also from a suburb of Birmingham. Both Bama and Auburn feast on any and all talent from across AL that they can land, because per capita AL HS football turns out as much talent as does FL nd GA - just fewer people total means fewer total top football recruits. But neither Bama nor Auburn made Harrell a top recruit.

And then we have the fact that QB gurus Lane Kiffin and Mike Leach were both in next door state MS, and neither of them went after Harrell either. Nor did border state UGA nor border state FSU or UF. Dabo is an AL native and loves to recruit AL - Clemson was not hot after Harrell either.

I do not think possible that all those top level programs would all have missed totally on a QB with as much obvious ability as Mack keeps wanting us all to accept that Harrell must have. Much more likely is that Harrell is a great athlete who has some QB potential, but not nearly enough to get offers from top level programs. That mens he likely cannot be a top QB for a deserving bowl team before his 3rd, 4th, even 5th year on campus. I think it may be that Harrell is Mack's newest version of Mike Thomas and Chuckie Burnette: a potentially exciting 'athlete' playing QB that Mack has determined MUST be his QB.

I'm not naive, its the piss poor attitude of some of the posters here that is so tired. So immature.
Ignore button does wonders.
I am tired of the childishly naive pisspoor attitudes of those who cannot see issues that just be addressed and could ruin a season.

Last night UNC won because of FGs - period, Noah made 4, and the Gopher kicker missed 2 that were fairly easy. Everybody projects Minnesota a as maybe the 7th or 8th best team in the BT. So even a road win against that team won by FG luck is not worth much at all.

If the team fails to learn from its many weaknesses last night, it will struggle mightily in ACC play.

Reactions: chickenhunter
Regardless of everything that happened last night a win on the road to open the season is a GIANT step in the right direction. Now with three straight winnable games at home the team has a excellent opportunity to grow and to work some things out both offensively and defensively
James Madison was a very sound team last year and would have beaten UNC last year, especially over the final few games of the season. Good for us is that JMU has a new coaching staff. Potentially bad for us is the new HC is the guy who rebuilt Holy Cross football. For those who don't know, Holy Cross plays non-scholarshiip 1AA (FCS) football but against scholarship 1AA programs. That means Holy Cross is always at a disadvantage, yet Bob Chesney won there. The man has a knack of winning against the odds. What may limit him this year is all his previous coaching has been in the northeast.

One glaring problem from last night: with the great exception of that one time that JJ Jones had no Gopher within 20 yards of him, the Minnesota DBs kept UNC WRs and TEs from getting open. They swamped the WRs especially. Even the best ERB run/ :play Section passing game requires WRs getting open half the time they run routes.

Are these WRs just really badly coached? Even the announcers noted that the UNC WQR room was loaded with talent. Are the Gopher DBs just great all around?

I lost count of all the missed tackles...just awful tackling by 1, 21 and others
What I think was best about the D was that last year, the way the DL got moved around in the 1st Half would have meant that during the 2nd Half the entire D would have wilted. But last night, the D regrouped at Halftime and came out determined to be harder and tougher. The DL showed that especially. The DL began to stand up and the rest of the D followed. If that had not happened, the Gophers would have won by 10 or more.

Ritzie had 3 sacks. In 1 game.

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT