ADVERTISEMENT

This will be App's Super Bowl

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
UNC is UNC, and that would be true if we had another stretch of Bunting football. And App St is fiercely proud of its football rise and also comfortable feeling that with its mountain setting and hip area arts and crafts, it is the second best state university place to be in NC.

App St sees it this way: App St is to UNC as ECU is to MooU.

And so App St wants this win more than it wants another conference title and bowl win. That UNC has a Hall of Fame coach only makes the desire to beat UNC burn deeper and hotter.

ECU's arts and crafts area should be avoided.... not so hip. Just kidding.

Yeah, you'd think this one has been circled for awhile. They also play AT SoCar, so SEC could trump this one.

They lost a bunch of good D coaches, some good corners and one or two DL. So it will be interesting to see how their defense fares. O should be humming along though, they're speedy.

I dunno what to think. I figured App St was depleted after the coaching exodus. I thought we'd have like a double-digit favored game. Guess not.
I read they returned 17 starters, that’s a lot of experience, and they’re used to winning. We’re going to have to play well for 60 minutes in order to win. I think we will, we just had our Wake up call.

I read they returned 17 starters, that’s a lot of experience, and they’re used to winning. We’re going to have to play well for 60 minutes in order to win. I think we will, we just had our Wake up call.
I hope so, but I don't take anything for granted when it comes to UNC football. It would definitely hurt to lose to App State at home!

The spread factors in app state's history of close calls against P5 teams I think. I'm not too worried about them though. I'd be surprised if we won by less than two scores.

Reactions: Archer2

I see what you did there

Am I the only one who thinks the “this is so-and-sos Super Bowl” is getting a bit tired - not by you, Woad, just in general?

Didn’t someone mention this about Wake last week? And I heard it about my other team (Pitt) about the Penn State game last week (not true).

Plus, I think App’s one and only Super Bowl, for eternity, will have been at the Big House.

I don’t know about this game. This is one of those weird in state games that I don’t actually mind the other team, while their fan base hates us. I think we should be able to work on their defense pretty good, but their offense is veteran.

I don’t know about this game. This is one of those weird in state games that I don’t actually mind the other team, while their fan base hates us. I think we should be able to work on their defense pretty good, but their offense is veteran.
Do they actually hate us? I've never experienced any hate from them.

The only reason I feel this will be a loss is the injuries we had last week. Lack of depth on the D side is what will kill us on Saturday. Plugging in inexperienced guys @AppState in that environment could be too much for some of those young pups. UNC 20 AppState 26. Hope i'm wrong tho..

Am I the only one who thinks the “this is so-and-sos Super Bowl” is getting a bit tired - not by you, Woad, just in general?

Didn’t someone mention this about Wake last week? And I heard it about my other team (Pitt) about the Penn State game last week (not true).

Plus, I think App’s one and only Super Bowl, for eternity, will have been at the Big House.
How did ECU come to be taken seriously as a potential regional football power? Not by the odd win against a Big Name from elsewhere across the country, but by playing and finally defeating UNC and Moo, and other ACC teams.

A way to grasp why is to recall Tip O'Neill's maxim that all politics is local.

All that, by the way, is the reason I am adamantly opposed to UNC playing App, ECU, or Charlotte.

Do they actually hate us? I've never experienced any hate from them.
'Hate' is not the word I would use - that would require playing one another a few times at least.

But App football people aspire to be taken seriously across the state and the Smokies region. And that requires going head to head with UNC, and then other P5 teams from the region. They envy and resent UNC and know they must topple UNC to start acquiring the status they desire.

The thing that scares me is the stuff which indicates App St coaches were hiding their playbook the first two weeks - with new coordinators on each side. They've been saving their tricks and with the BYE they've certainly had time to scout us well. The first half could be all about us just figuring out their strengths and weaknesses.

'Hate' is not the word I would use - that would require playing one another a few times at least.

But App football people aspire to be taken seriously across the state and the Smokies region. And that requires going head to head with UNC, and then other P5 teams from the region. They envy and resent UNC and know they must topple UNC to start acquiring the status they desire.

As a resident of Boone, I don't get the sense that App State envies or resents UNC. I do sense they see this game as an opportunity to make a statement. That said, UNC should prevail and cover the spread....

I hope the air raid offense is full throttle in the first half, and can get a big lead because we don't want to leave the game hanging in the balance in the 4th quarter with a veteran App State team....

A win would be a big boost for this team, and hope the first half of the Wake game will not be repeated against the Mountaineers?

They haven’t had to pass that much because their run game has been so effective but they have a potent passing game. We’re going to have to put some points on the board, I’m thinking at least 35.

I don't think it is hate as much as a huge chip on their shoulder. I still cannot believe UNC agreed to play this game - nothing to gain and a lot to lose. Interesting that in first four games Mack goes against two head coaches that used to be on his staffs and now gets to go against his first hc program.

That's another point that I'd like to see this team learn to avoid- Winning, from behind, on the last drive. Those kinds of wins are okay. But, I don't think that kind of outcome is indicative of a team that is improving overall. We're only three games in, so it's still very early.

After today I’ll cheer for my alma mater but we have to win this game no questions. We were real good when we were AA and pretty good now. Go Heels!!

Like they said at the top of the game broadcast - when Mack got back and saw the schedule he said "Who the hell put App State on there?"

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Sure it was Apps Super Bowl. And this type of game is not the smartest kind to schedule for UNC. An instate school that is one of the better mid major types in the country. It's a lose, lose. If UNC had won, it is a ho hum win because UNC is the bigger, richer, Power 5 school. If they lose, it is embarrassing. In these type of games, schedule sure wins.

Reactions: franklin street
They have won both the conference and bowl game every year since joining the FBS. We have won nothing. Dropping Michigan in the big house was a good game too - but they focused on winning national championships.

I felt they would be crafty and disciplined and out smart the Heels when big plays were needed, they did that.. They looked less talented but were clearly better coached..

No. App State never considered it a Super Bowl. They expected to win the whole time.
And that makes perfect sense because no one - not the Packers nor the Steelers nor the Patriots nor the Cowboys nor the 49ers nor even the '72 Dolphins - ever went into a Super Bowl expecting to win.

Sure it was Apps Super Bowl. And this type of game is not the smartest kind to schedule for UNC. An instate school that is one of the better mid major types in the country. It's a lose, lose. If UNC had won, it is a ho hum win because UNC is the bigger, richer, Power 5 school. If they lose, it is embarrassing. In these type of games, schedule sure wins.
Yep - lose-lose.

The same goes for playing ECU, or Charlotte.

Play an occasional NC 1AA/FCS team at Home. The G5 teams we schedule should be from outside NC. And that we p[lay at their place should be in areas rich in potential recruiting if only because the it is not ACC territory.

you play the super bowl every year. i believe we were aps this year.
congrates to them on their win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT