ADVERTISEMENT

Tiger

Needs to hang it up if he needs more surgery. He's accomplished all he can accomplish at this point. Health should be more important.

Needs to hang it up if he needs more surgery. He's accomplished all he can accomplish at this point. Health should be more important.
The microdiskectomy is a fairly easy surgery to recoup from. They made a 3" incision in my back when i had mine done. A month later i was good to go. Still had a few weight restrictions.

The fusion surgery was entirely different. Months of restrictions. Took a while for bone to grow over the fusion. At 1 and a half years, i had no issues at all. He will come back from this one.

The microdiskectomy is a fairly easy surgery to recoup from. They made a 3" incision in my back when i had mine done. A month later i was good to go. Still had a few weight restrictions.

The fusion surgery was entirely different. Months of restrictions. Took a while for bone to grow over the fusion. At 1 and a half years, i had no issues at all. He will come back from this one.
One surgery isn't a big deal, but he's getting close to two digits. It's not about how simple one surgery is at this point. It's the total amount. He obviously has chronic back problems that won't go away. Why not just spend time with your kids and at some point grandkids instead of risking a wheelchair?

As Grey said, this procedure was minor.

And why would he hang it up if he doesn't want to, which he obviously doesn't. He won the Masters less than 2 years ago, won an event just over 14 months ago...it's not like he's playing like a hack.

One surgery isn't a big deal, but he's getting close to two digits. It's not about how simple one surgery is at this point. It's the total amount. He obviously has chronic back problems that won't go away. Why not just spend time with your kids and at some point grandkids instead of risking a wheelchair?

5 surgeries isn't really close to 2 digits...

5 surgeries isn't really close to 2 digits...
Someone said seven, so I was going off of that. He clearly can't stay healthy so why keep doing it? He has absolutely nothing to prove. One minor surgery is no big deal. Five of them on the same part of your body become a big deal. Especially when it's almost guaranteed to happen again.

I ha e no clue how extensive his knee surgeries were. If it was just cleaning them up, then thats not that big of a surgery

I ha e no clue how extensive his knee surgeries were. If it was just cleaning them up, then thats not that big of a surgery

He had a complete ACL tear in 2008 (when he won the US Open) so it was major knee surgery but that hasn't bothered him in 12 years.

Reactions: Grayhead

he had no acl for the first one.

it’s fair to say he’s had more physical problems than any golfer, ever...most of, if not all was his own doing so if wants to keep going and keep breaking down, that’s on him...i was simply pointing out that after five back procedures, your quality of life diminishes long term, so pulling for him was more about being healthy.

he says repeatedly that he wants to play with his kids, yet it’s clear that his focus is winning majors.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel0910
there’s a video of his ortho surgeon explaining what this procedure did for him...i believe it also includes videos explaining all of the other procedures he’s had.

we have clients that have these procedures all the time and some are very successful, but it’s almost never one and done...those individuals usually suffered from a trauma, not wear and tear.

he had no acl for the first one.

it’s fair to say he’s had more physical problems than any golfer, ever...most of, if not all was his own doing so if wants to keep going and keep breaking down, that’s on him...i was simply pointing out that after five back procedures, your quality of life diminishes long term, so pulling for him was more about a being healthy.

he says repeatedly that he wants to play with his kids, yet it’s clear that his focus is winning majors.

I don't know why he didn't just keep his perfect golfer's body. He was long and lean but became obsessed with looking like athletes in other sports. If he would have just stayed away from power lifting I think we'd be looking at a very different story in terms of his health at 45.

I don't know why he didn't just keep his perfect golfer's body. He was long and lean but became obsessed with looking like athletes in other sports. If he would have just stayed away from power lifting I think we'd be looking at a very different story in terms of his health at 45.

dead on...not to mention his torque never adjusted to his added conditioning...happened to duval to a lesser extent, then his mind went sideways.

i’ll never forget my coach in 8th grade told me to never bench press or power clean...”he said be built like a swimmer” and of course i ignored him.

Reactions: Heelicious

having been fortunate to spend a lot of time around the GOAT post retirement, i have no doubt that Tiger wants to delay the relaxing-with-the-family stuff as long as humanly possible. that rocking-chair life aint happening anytime soon.

I read it’s pretty serious leg injuries. Just hope it’s nothing life threatening.

Can anyone explain the emblem on the side of the suv he crashed?

I can’t get a good look at it but with the brief glimpse I got, it looked like the Bentley logo.

ETA - I looked it up. He was driving a Genesis. They have a similar logo to Bentley.

R16940e4a1508052b025babfcdc924573

OIP.OJoW-vDtHd8MQ3QUMhI4HwHaDJ

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Looking like 2 broken legs, which could be career enders. He was on his way to do a clinic with Drew Brees and apparently was running late.

That said, after seeing the way he looked Sunday during the interview, I expect this toxicology report to show pain killers.

I can’t get a good look at it but with the brief glimpse I got, it looked like the Bentley logo.

ETA - I looked it up. He was driving a Genesis. They have a similar logo to Bentley.

R16940e4a1508052b025babfcdc924573

OIP.OJoW-vDtHd8MQ3QUMhI4HwHaDJ

the ‘21 genesis suv does 0-60 in 6.2 secs with either the 6 or 8 cyl. I’m gonna guess speed was a factor.

TMZ reporting shattered ankle and both legs with compound fractures which I assume still means bone penetrating through skin. Tough to see how he could ever compete again.

This one looks like a career ender. That flap is no joke and apparently it's a 2 year recovery to even be able to walk properly again.

This sucks.

Reactions: Heelicious

This one looks like a career ender. That flap is no joke and apparently it's a 2 year recovery to even be able to walk properly again.

This sucks.
Everyone is focusing on his legs, which obviously makes sense, but no one is really talking about his back. No way he goes through something like that without having some type of injury to his back. Even something minor is a big deal for him.

having to rehab the back or legs without the other being healthy and strong isn’t good
I'd think best case scenario he is in a wheel chair for quite a few months even after he gets out of the hospital. How long before he is even able to walk again?

And I don't know his age - mid 40s? At that age, your metabolism slows down, and building back muscle, recovering, healing takes a lot longer than say for an 18-30 year old. And the time unable to walk, a lot of muscle atrophy sets in.

Not trying to be a downer - Tiger does have an intense, killer competitive spirit and works his butt off and has fought through a lot of pain in his career. It just seem like a super-long shot for him to ever get back to where he can play golf again, let alone on some pro or seniors pro level.

Everyone is focusing on his legs, which obviously makes sense, but no one is really talking about his back. No way he goes through something like that without having some type of injury to his back. Even something minor is a big deal for him.
Its hard to hurt fusions. It would have to shear the fusion, which would mean more damage in other areas.

Its hard to hurt fusions. It would have to shear the fusion, which would mean more damage in other areas.
I wasn't being specific to the fusions. He has had back issues besides those and obviously he's prone to having them without being thrown around by a car.

It's bizarre to me that people are even discussing him playing competitive golf again. His career was almost over before the accident. By the time he can walk again and then get in some kind of physical shape to play, he'd almost be eligible for the Champions Tour.

At this point, we all need to come to grips with the end of his career - no one more so than Tiger himself.

Reactions: tazki
His career was almost over before the accident.

How many golfers won tournaments in the 2018, 2019, and 2020 PGA Tour seasons? Justin Thomas, Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Bryson, Reed, and Tiger. That's literally the who's who of golf.

Those guys all won majors in that time also.

Last year at this time he was top 10 in the OWGR.

He sucked after the 2020 restart, it happens. Pretty short-term memory you have there to bury the guy.

How many golfers won tournaments in the 2018, 2019, and 2020 PGA Tour seasons? Justin Thomas, Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Bryson, Reed, and Tiger. That's literally the who's who of golf.

Those guys all won majors in that time also.

Last year at this time he was top 10 in the OWGR.

He sucked after the 2020 restart, it happens. Pretty short-term memory you have there to bury the guy.

Father Time is undefeated. Add yet another back surgery. He was, uhh, fortunate to have won the Masters in 2019, on a course he knows like the back of his hand. Tiger isn’t interested in being just another guy on tour, which is what he would have been from this point forward, car accident or not. And we haven’t even broached the subject of his addiction.

I think of all the irritating fan bases in sports, the Tiger Woods fanboys are the worst. With that said, I like and cheer for Tiger more today than ever before.

ADVERTISEMENT