ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN - no top 50 recruits

gauchoheel

Hall of Famer
Jul 29, 2016
They have a bunch of top 100 guys -- Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson, Clingan, Karaban, Diarra, Johnson. Clingan, Hawkins, and Jackson were all ranked in the 50s so close, but none in the top 50 RSCI composite.

Not gonna be naive and think recruiting doesn't matter. It matters, a lot. Even most power conference teams would be jealous of UConn's recruiting (all but 5-10 programs really). It's still amazing that there's so much variance after high school; you'd think the rankings would be more predictive but guys like Woods, Robinson, Harris, Walton Puff, Dunn, Styles, Nickel etc were ranked as peers to a bunch of pretty dominant college players at UConn. None of them were/are high end starters yet. Davis / Leaky are the only non-five stars who've done much of anything as HS recruits from UNC in 5-6 years, and it's a big part of why we've declined.

In 2020 Kerwin Walton is ranked right next to Ryan Kalkbrenner and just a few spots from Nijel Pack, Jaylen Clark, Bennedict Mathurin, Tari Eason, etc. Puff is ranked near guys like Sanogo, Reece Beekman, Julian Strawther, Azuolas Tubelis, and PJ Hall.

The question is, is it just bad luck we've had recently with four star guys (variance is definitely a big factor, all teams miss on 4 star players a lot) or is there some sort of consistent scouting/development deficiency from our coaching staff?

The question is, is it just bad luck we've had recently with four star guys (variance is definitely a big factor, all teams miss on 4 star players a lot) or is there some sort of consistent scouting/development deficiency from our coaching staff?
Just a few random thoughts:

1) Hurley is a hell of a coach
2) The guys below would’ve taken any 2023 team out behind the woodshed …

IMG-4309.jpg

The bigger the sample size, the more likely it is to be the latter. How big the sample size needs to be is subjective.

I’m sure there are numerous factors such as: incorrect HS rankings, roster balance and fit, a bit of luck, but I firmly believe above all else it comes down to player utilisation and player development.

UNC’s track record in that area has been lacking over the last 4-6 years.

I firmly believe the rot began when Roy chose to overplay an underperforming garrison Brooks over future NBA players Sharpe and Kessler. He never found the right role for leaky and began recruiting players out of position (Caleb, Puff, RJ) seemingly thinking he could turn water into wine (like he did achieve with Paige, Brice, Maye and even Coby)

It’s early to judge Hubert but so far it looks like he couldn’t develop a cold in Antarctica.

UCONN also has a lot of volatility year to year (we have lately too). They have 5 titles now, but still don't "feel" like a blue blood in that they aren't in the mix every year. That's the tough thing about being a fan of a blue blood. We expect to compete every year. The game has changed and the one & done mentality has a big impact on that change. I would prefer more veteran teams (like we had on paper this year), but ones that gel and play together. This NCAA Tournament had a lot of those types of teams that played hard, played together and played to win. In a vacuum that's great, but the teams that are veterans take their lumps early on and have volatility. We want the best of both worlds, in that we expect to have those veteran teams, but never have down years. To do that you have to recruit well and have smaller classes that blend well with what you are losing. Top guys want to shine and that makes it hard to create consistency.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
UCONN also has a lot of volatility year to year (we have lately too). They have 5 titles now, but still don't "feel" like a blue blood in that they aren't in the mix every year. That's the tough thing about being a fan of a blue blood. We expect to compete every year. The game has changed and the one & done mentality has a big impact on that change. I would prefer more veteran teams (like we had on paper this year), but ones that gel and play together. This NCAA Tournament had a lot of those types of teams that played hard, played together and played to win. In a vacuum that's great, but the teams that are veterans take their lumps early on and have volatility. We want the best of both worlds, in that we expect to have those veteran teams, but never have down years. To do that you have to recruit well and have smaller classes that blend well with what you are losing. Top guys want to shine and that makes it hard to create consistency.
I do think Danny Hurley can be the type of coach that tends to keep his teams in the national hunt but will UConn be able to keep him?

I do think Danny Hurley can be the type of coach that tends to keep his teams in the national hunt but will UConn be able to keep him?
Is UNC smart enough to want Hurley? I have no sign of that. Ditto with Syracuse and Dook. All are playing the game with faith in their alums.

So here we have people who re certain that will be cured once Davis gets all his own recruits, as long as that means at least 5 5*s with other 4 or 5 McDonald's All-Americns.

Hurley is a very good tactical coach. I think he had a nice mix of talent and athleticism which always plays well in the tournament. I do think our player development has been piss poor over the last 3-5 years. We've had a hodge podge of misfit rosters, and as noted above, had a few occasions where we played mediocre at best role players in starter roles because they were upperclassmen (Brooks), while letting NBA players play below average minutes (Kessler/Sharp).

Is UNC smart enough to want Hurley? I have no sign of that. Ditto with Syracuse and Dook. All are playing the game with faith in their alums.

So here we have people who re certain that will be cured once Davis gets all his own recruits, as long as that means at least 5 5*s with other 4 or 5 McDonald's All-Americns.

I hope Hubert works out but the last straw of hope many are hanging on to is the "let Hubert get his recruits in" stick. Do people not realize that Hubert was the lead recruiter on most all of our meaningful signees over the last 3-5 years. The roster we have now is largely "his guys." Hubert better figure out how to coach the ones he has on his roster, develop a bench, and find an offensive system that matches his personnel.

Those HS rankings mean nothing. Hawkins is a Top 20 draft pick this summer.
The second part of your sentence does not make the opening true. Players can be rightly ranked 3* in HS and be NBA draft picks due to excellent college coaching.

I’m sure there are numerous factors such as: incorrect HS rankings, roster balance and fit, a bit of luck, but I firmly believe above all else it comes down to player utilisation and player development.

I firmly believe the rot began when Roy chose to overplay an underperforming garrison Brooks over future NBA players Sharpe and Kessler. He never found the right role for leaky and began recruiting players out of position (Caleb, Puff, RJ) seemingly thinking he could turn water into wine (like he did achieve with Paige, Brice, Maye and even Coby)

It’s early to judge Hubert but so far it looks like he couldn’t develop a cold in Antarctica.
I agree with almost all of this. I also agree it’s too early to judge how good Hubert is as a coach. He deserves, as any HC coach hired at UNC does, four years to get his players in and begin to make his imprint upon the program. If after four years the program doesn’t appear to be going in the right direction, then a change will likely occur IMO. He’s the type of guy you want to be your son’s Boy Scout leader. Looks like he can recruit. We’ll see how much he can learn about being a HC in the next couple of years. I’m rooting hard for him
They have a "5 star" coach. Coaching matters.
Yes it does.
Don’t see why not. They’re among the basketball elite now with 5 titles. UConn will pay him well.

Last edited:
I love the action UConn runs. They have a dudes to run it because all of their rotation guys are really skilled. But this is the first time Dan Hurley won any NCAA Tournament games in 5 years at UConn.

There was some talk that he had to change his personality a bit. He was a little too fiery and emotional and people said that hurt his connection to his players. But again, this was the first time he ever won any games in the tournament.

Love the action they run. I think it's sustainable but kind of strange that that system has produced one year with any wins in the tournament. Also, this year a pretty easy and straight-forward draw for them. Kansas got eliminated early. I don't think Iona or St. Mary's were ever big threats. They had Arkansas in the S16, a team that played up to its potential one time this season against Kansas. Gonzaga was their hardest opponent and the refs took Timme out of the game. Then Miami took care of the best teams in their bracket (Texas and Houston). It's not always going to be that way. The best seed they beat was a #3 seed. Right team for the right year and the run looked really dominant.

I do think recruiting rankings matter. There's been a direct correlation at UNC between the best ranked players and most impactful players here. But UConn is an example of recruit skill. Skill has a way to figure things out. Athletes trying to figure out how to play basketball may never figure it out in college.

Alex Karaban was outside the top 100. I think I'd take his skill level over every player on our roster. That kid is 6'8", can shoot it, can put it on the floor, can pass it some, and you can trigger your offense through him.

Recruit skill.

Last edited:

Hurley's a northeast guy through and through. I'm not sure he would leave for UNC. Plus, UNC has zero connection to the Hurley family right? None of our players went to St. Anthony's. I'm not saying that as a UNC nepotism, but there's no connection here that would lead me to think Hurley would leave for UNC.

I've maintained that if Hubert doesn't work out, call Mark Few and offer him $3+ million/year. Assuming Gonzaga doesn't win a title, tell him UNC is the place he can get his first ring like Roy did. He's good friends with Roy too, so there's some connection even if Few isn't part of the Royal Family.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heelicious
Like I have stated before, Caleb was not the cause but rather one of the symptoms.

A successful team starts with a solid coach who has a solid defensive and offensive coaching system, which includes recruiting players that will fit into this system, and most importantly, relentlessly coaching the players to optimize their skills within this system. If the players do not deliver, they should be benched, receive intensive coaching, and if they continue to not deliver, then they should be recruited over and shown the door.

Maybe I am a cynic, but I am not convinced that HD has a defined system, that we are recruiting the right players for such a system, that we have the right assistant coaches to implement the system, and that the players are relentlessly coached proper defensive and offensive principles between and during games.

I love the action UConn runs. They have a dudes to run it because all of their rotation guys are really skilled. But this is the first time Dan Hurley won any NCAA Tournament games in 5 years at UConn.

There was some talk that he had to change his personality a bit. He was a little too fiery and emotional and people said that hurt his connection to his players. But again, this was the first time he ever won any games in the tournament.

Love the action they run. I think it's sustainable but kind of strange that that system has produced one year with any wins in the tournament. Also, this year a pretty easy and straight-forward draw for them. Kansas got eliminated early. I don't think Iona or St. Mary's were ever big threats. They had Arkansas in the S16, a team that played up to its potential one time this season against Kansas. Gonzaga was their hardest opponent and the refs took Timme out of the game. Then Miami took care of the best teams in their bracket (Texas and Houston). It's not always going to be that way. The best seed they beat was a #3 seed. Right team for the right year and the run looked really dominant.

I do think recruiting rankings matter. There's been a direct correlation at UNC between the best ranked players and most impactful players here. But UConn is an example of recruit skill. Skill has a way to figure things out. Athletes trying to figure out how to play basketball may never figure it out in college.

Alex Karaban was outside the top 100. I think I'd take his skill level over every player on our roster. That kid is 6'8", can shoot it, can put it on the floor, can pass it some, and you can trigger your offense through him.

Recruit skill.
You definitely want skill if your more-talented-but-lower-skilled recruits aren't going to stick around long enough to develop (or if you aren't a good development coach).

The portal is an ideal place to get skilled players. You've already seen what skills they have against college-level competition, and since most aren't going to be around more than a year you, as a coach, don't have to have any particular development chops.

In the portal era, will the top coaches be those who spot skill (not talent or upside), and who know how to gather the right pieces and put them together on the court (as opposed to recruiting athletes and future stars and hoping they fit)? Xs and Os are important, too, of course, but that applies equally to the pre-portal era.

Last edited:
I agree with almost all of this. I also agree it’s too early to judge how good Hubert is as a coach. He deserves, as any HC coach hired at UNC does, four years to get his players in and begin to make his imprint upon the program. If after four years the program doesn’t appear to be going in the right direction, then a change will likely occur IMO. He’s the type of guy you want to be your son’s Boy Scout leader. Looks like he can recruit. We’ll see how much he can learn about being a HC in the next couple of years. I’m rooting hard for him

Yes it does.

Don’t see why not. They’re among the basketball elite now with 5 titles. UConn will pay him well.
Boy scouting is playacting. It's not the real world. I have never once thought that a guy who would be a great Boy Scout troop leader would be ideal for any job that matters, beyond something like President of the local Little League.

Recruit skill.
And work ethic.

Like I have stated before, Caleb was not the cause but rather one of the symptoms.

A successful team starts with a solid coach who has a solid defensive and offensive coaching system, which includes recruiting players that will fit into this system, and most importantly, relentlessly coaching the players to optimize their skills within this system. If the players do not deliver, they should be benched, receive intensive coaching, and if they continue to not deliver, then they should be recruited over and shown the door.

Maybe I am a cynic, but I am not convinced that HD has a defined system, that we are recruiting the right players for such a system, that we have the right assistant coaches to implement the system, and that the players are relentlessly coached proper defensive and offensive principles between and during games.
Hubert will be rebuilding ~60% of his core team from the portal - depending on whether Wilcher is ready to start, and whether anyone reclassifies. So he will presumably be recruiting guys who very closely fit his system. If, in fact, he has a clearly defined system - which I think you are right to question.

Which is to say that the coming season could well tell us if HD has a system.

Then again, he's a new head coach. Maybe he thought he had a system ready for when that opportunity came his way, and maybe things didn't pan out the way he expected. So maybe he'll be reinventing his system over the next season or so. If he gets a long enough leash.

The other thing to consider is @SJung851's point that SKILL matters more than ever before. Actual, proven skill, as opposed to promise and talent that needs a year or more to develop.

If you have a clear system - assuming it's a winning system - then plugging in skilled parts are suddenly easier than ever, thanks to the portal.

If you look at the portal targets we've been told about, HD definitely seems to be focusing on skills more than talent. These guys are all pretty good, but most don't look like they have a lot of upside. That's fine. They are coming to play, not to be developed. Which is very un-Roy-like, but may be exactly right for the new era.

So far, Hubert has done well in the portal. UNC's stature doubtless helps a lot with that. So the question may be whether HD has a clear enough system in his own mind to recruit the pieces that will really work in that system.

We'll find out.

Luck with injury plays an important role. Luck with chemistry, attitude, and life pressures also do. Puff might have developed into something if he had a single uninjured year for example! I saw tremendous development in Love, RJ, Bacot, Dunn too. Just because they aren't perfect doesn't mean there has been no development! So Hurley is a great coach even though he only won anything of significance in his 5th year at UConn BUT Hubs "can't develop a cold" and we decided this after his 2nd!

Seems a little hypocritical to me! It also sounds like peeps just can't grasp the nuances of college bball and the fact that the current climate is vastly different from anything anyone has ever seen before! There is a reason all the HOF greats are leaving the profession at the same time! If Roy, ratty, Boeheim, Brey, Wright, and most likely others to come think they can't cut it any more, why would it be easy for newcomers? The game and entire world have changed but the Carolina Way is still strong so I know peeps will not lose our identity and jettison a coach just because he lost a few games; we will give Hubs support and the time to grow like we have done for every coach in our history!

Starting Garrison Brooks over Kessler and Sharpe will always gnaw at me. If Walker Kessler stays healthy during his NBA career, he's going to make like $250 million playing basketball for a living. Day'Ron Sharpe might have been the best passer on the team. Also, starting Desmond Hubert over PJ Hairston for 1/2 the season will always get to me.

I also think it's unfair to say no one has developed under Hubert. Bacot wasn't anywhere near an All-American with Roy. I didn't think RJ Davis would ever become a 16 PPG guy at UNC. In fact, I think Hubert has reasonably gotten most out of RJ and Bacot that he can. Those aren't the two most gifted dudes and they've become really good college players.

Skill is easier to develop. Athletes that don't have skill are really hard to develop within 1-3 years.

Once again you get close, SDung!

Nobody thought PJ would be a good 4! Small ball 4s were not exactly the norm back then and PJ had some life issues that took his focus off the court at times! I'll give you Brooks, but riddle me this....how many coaches would bench the pre-season POY for freshmen? It was about halfway through the season before it became clear that Brooks couldn't handle the pressure of expectations! I fully expected him to snap out of his funk at some point!

Once again you get close, SDung!

Nobody thought PJ would be a good 4! Small ball 4s were not exactly the norm back then and PJ had some life issues that took his focus off the court at times! I'll give you Brooks, but riddle me this....how many coaches would bench the pre-season POY for freshmen? It was about halfway through the season before it became clear that Brooks couldn't handle the pressure of expectations! I fully expected him to snap out of his funk at some point!
Nobody thought PJ would be a good 4... Apparently Roy thought he'd be good enough or else he wouldn't have eventually started him! So Roy did something he apparently didn't believe in? Also, that doesn't relieve the poor decision. Take Hairston away and Roy started Joel James and Desmond Hubert over Brice Johnson. I know Brice wasn't "focused" all the time either. So thank goodness we got all that "focus" from Joel James and Desmond Hubert! And it was pretty clear. PJ could score, Joel James and Desmond Hubert couldn't. I recall back then there was pretty early momentum for fans and this board to start PJ.

I don't care about preseason polls or awards and I doubt any legitimate head coach gives a crap either. It wasn't that Garrison Brooks couldn't "handle the pressure of expectations." He just wasn't all that good. He was a solid role college player. But idk, Walker Kessler and Day'Ron Sharpe were each bigger, faster, stronger than Garrison Brooks. I don't think that became evident just in the middle of the season.

So far, Hubert has done well in the portal.
Has he? Obviously Manek was a home run, but everyone else has been a miss. Either they just weren't good enough to play or they weren't a good fit. That's what worries me right now. He's probably going to need at least two, maybe three, starters from the portal. It's hard enough to find one. It's not going to be an easy next couple of months for him.

What do you think of this Hurley quote? Granted this is one line out of context, but to me it's a bit of feigned humility and large amount of oversimplification. If this were true all the best recruiters (i.e. Calipari's and Coach K's of the world) would win championships every year.

Then again, he's a new head coach. Maybe he thought he had a system ready for when that opportunity came his way, and maybe things didn't pan out the way he expected. So maybe he'll be reinventing his system over the next season or so. If he gets a long enough leash.
And that is the reason that if I were D told by Roy that Davis must be the next HC, my response would've been: then he must go be HC somewhere else for at least 3 years so he can work all difficulties out from what he thinks he wants to do as HC. Just giving Davis the job means Davis gets to use UNC as his testing ground.

The secret formula for winning a NC:
1) Athletic players
2) Good coaching
3) Players who can shoot.

Not really so secret.
Did Roy forget all that his final years? Why would Hubert know better than old Roy?

Recruit skill.
You mean it took Hurley 5 whole years to win a natty at UConn? LOL

Season before last UNC had to beat the mighty St Marys to get to the final 4, so? Really, a team can only play who is in front of them. But more important, do ya realize that the weak path way that you suggest UConn took had them playing teams that actually BEAT bigger name programs, so weak sisters of the poor they were not. What, should duke have been there on name alone because they sure didn't make it on play did they. Every other team in the NCAAT had the same deal, beat everyone that you have to play and you can win the natty, really poor form to suggest other wise.

And frankly, those 2 teams that played for the natty were 2 very good teams, 2 well coached teams, and 2 teams that embodied play hard/play smart/play together. We didn't do that, exactly why we were not in this NCAAT. I tip my hat to UConn, to it's players and it's staff, job very well done!

And that is the reason that if I were D told by Roy that Davis must be the next HC, my response would've been: then he must go be HC somewhere else for at least 3 years so he can work all difficulties out from what he thinks he wants to do as HC. Just giving Davis the job means Davis gets to use UNC as his testing ground.
When YOU become UNC's AD, that may matter in some way...

• Haha
I thought about this some last night. Danny and all the Hurleys are so much about loyalty, and the East Coast, and are so connected on recruiting the East Coast - it is hard for me to imagine DH being lured away somewhere better. UConn is a 100% basketball school and I assume has some mega big $ donors / contributors. I can't think of a program that could lure him away.

How does one get to be projected as the Pre-season POY I wonder???? Oh yeah, one plays well and EARNS it! What does a coach do when his pieces don't live up to what he wants them to???? Oh yeah, he improvises and sometimes is forced to do something he would rather not do or in simpler terms, something he otherwise would not "believe in"! It really isn't that hard but it is telling that a person who wants to convince peeps he isn't an admittedly persistent and sometimes even marginally effective troll, looks at these facts and can only state that our beloved HOF coach made stupid decisions that internet posters would not have made!

The hubris on the internet would be laughable if it wasn't so tragic!

Your coach, ratty, was forced to play zone-do you think he "believes" in it???

Boy scouting is playacting. It's not the real world. I have never once thought that a guy who would be a great Boy Scout troop leader would be ideal for any job that matters, beyond something like President of the local Little League.
Your response speaks volumes about why you’re such a miserable SOB. I loved the BSA. My nephew is an Eagle Scout. It’s an invaluable vehicle for teaching teamwork, discipline, and a strong work ethic. Of course, none of those matter to you. Don’t those values pretty much align with Dean’s “Hard, Smart, and Together“ mantra?

I agree that the BSA is one organization that tries to teach the right things to our youth. I think it is largely positive and it is working on the negative aspects from the past. I was a Boy Scout and a Scout Leader over the years and I never saw any of the negative stuff peeps talk about!

Things like Hard Work, Loyalty, Team Work, Discipline, Accountability, and Responsibility are important! Few organizations even pretend to support these ideals these days!

Reactions: Archer2
You mean it took Hurley 5 whole years to win a natty at UConn? LOL

Season before last UNC had to beat the mighty St Marys to get to the final 4, so? Really, a team can only play who is in front of them. But more important, do ya realize that the weak path way that you suggest UConn took had them playing teams that actually BEAT bigger name programs, so weak sisters of the poor they were not. What, should duke have been there on name alone because they sure didn't make it on play did they. Every other team in the NCAAT had the same deal, beat everyone that you have to play and you can win the natty, really poor form to suggest other wise.

And frankly, those 2 teams that played for the natty were 2 very good teams, 2 well coached teams, and 2 teams that embodied play hard/play smart/play together. We didn't do that, exactly why we were not in this NCAAT. I tip my hat to UConn, to it's players and it's staff, job very well done!
Awesome take. You can only beat the teams you play. Cool! Yes, I understand the NCAA Tournament is a one-and-done format. lol. But typically, if there's this much volatility in one tournament, it usually means that the top teams had more weaknesses than they usually do.

It was a weird year in college hoops. UNC and Duke are in transitional periods and weren't really third weekend threats. Kansas played the first weekend without their head coach. Who knows if that's the reason they lost, but I'm guessing Kansas/Connecticut in the S16 with Bill Self would've been more competitive than Arkansas/Connecticut.

And give St. Mary's all the respect you want. That's a program that hasn't been to the second weekend of the tournament since 2010.

Good for Connecticut for taking advantage of the volatility. That banner will hang forever. And maybe this will be the tournament going forward. But I don't think there's any question this was a lesser year for college basketball. That's why you saw San Diego State, FAU, and Miami in the Final Four.

They ended up having a good draw and took advantage of it.

I like the new bloods getting a chance! I found it refreshing (since I couldn't pull for the Heels) to pick an underdog and cheer for them! It proves that everyone really does have a chance. I do hope they don't use this as an excuse to expand the tourney too far though!

I like the new bloods getting a chance! I found it refreshing (since I couldn't pull for the Heels) to pick an underdog and cheer for them! It proves that everyone really does have a chance. I do hope they don't use this as an excuse to expand the tourney too far though!
If traditional big time programs that bring in eyeballs aren't viable threats in the next couple of years, the tournament will expand and they'll start doing byes for the better seeds. Especially if UNC, Kansas, Duke or Kentucky get knocked off in the first two rounds by mid-majors, the NCAA is going to everything possible to make the paths for traditional powers easier.

Especially if Kentucky continues to disappoint and if Duke isn't a viable threat. Those 2 schools, in particular, bring in eyeballs.

If traditional big time programs that bring in eyeballs aren't viable threats in the next couple of years, the tournament will expand and they'll start doing byes for the better seeds. Especially if UNC, Kansas, Duke or Kentucky get knocked off in the first two rounds by mid-majors, the NCAA is going to everything possible to make the paths for traditional powers easier.

Especially if Kentucky continues to disappoint and if Duke isn't a viable threat. Those 2 schools, in particular, bring in eyeballs.
I don't think it's those two schools so much as people want to watch elite NBA talent. If UNC had Zion, AD, Ingram, Tatum, Booker, Towns type players on our roster, we'd get the eyeballs. People want to watch them more than they want to watch Joel Berry score over Nigel-Williams Goss, understandably.

I'm hopefuly we can start to land more top NBA talent under Hubert. I have a feeling Cadeau (and maybe Ian Jackson) will be practicing in Chapel Hill in 6 months, though these guys are probably a level below the absolute studs mentioned above.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT