ADVERTISEMENT

UNC is aiming for Cameron Johnson

14.6.1 One-Time Transfer Exception. A graduate student who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of an institution other than the institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree may participate in intercollegiate athletics if the student fulfills the conditions of the one-time transfer exception set forth in Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10 and has eligibility remaining per Bylaw 12.8. A graduate student who does not meet the one-time transfer exception due to the restrictions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10-(a) shall qualify for this exception, provided: (Adopted: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, Revised: 4/27/06, 1/6/07 effective 8/1/07, 4/28/11 effective 8/1/11, 7/31/14)

(a) The student fulfills the remaining conditions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10;

(b) The student has at least one season of competition remaining; and

(c) The student's previous institution did not renew his or her athletically related financial aid for the following academic year.

14.5.5.2.10 One-Time Transfer Exception. The student transfers to the certifying institution from another four-year collegiate institution, and all of the following conditions are met (for graduate students, see Bylaw 14.6.1): (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 1/11/94, 1/10/95, 1/9/96, 1/11/97, 11/1/00 effective 8/1/01, 4/26/01, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 4/27/06 effective 10/15/06, 12/15/06, 4/27/07 effective 8/1/08, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10, 4/22/11)

(a) The student is a participant in a sport other than baseball, basketball, bowl subdivision football or men's ice hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring. A participant in championship subdivision football at the institution to which the student is transferring may use this exception only if the participant transferred to the certifying institution from an institution that sponsors bowl subdivision football and has two or more seasons of competition remaining in football or the participant transfers from a Football Championship Subdivision institution that offers athletically related financial aid in football to a Football Championship Subdivision institution that does not offer athletically related financial aid in football;

(b) The student has not transferred previously from one four-year institution unless, in the previous transfer, the student-athlete received an exception per Bylaw 14.5.5.2.6 (discontinued/nonsponsored sport exception);

(c) At the time of transfer to the certifying institution (see Bylaw 14.5.2), the student would have been academically eligible had he or she remained at the institution from which the student transferred, except that he or she is not required to have fulfilled the necessary percentage-of-degree requirements at the previous institution; and

(d) If the student is transferring from an NCAA or NAIA member institution, the student's previous institution shall certify in writing that it has no objection to the student being granted an exception to the transfer-residence requirement. If an institution receives a written request for a release from a student-athlete, the institution shall grant or deny the request within seven business days. If the institution fails to respond to the student-athlete's written request within seven business days, the release shall be granted by default and the institution shall provide a written release to the student-athlete.

I don't see a single thing in the rules you quoted giving schools the right to limit the school choices of a grad transfer. If it's in there and I'm missing it, can you bold it or only quote the relevant part?

NCAA gives rights to hinder moved to certain schools to the school the transfer is from in addition to the NCAA and conference rules.

I don't see a single thing in the rules you quoted giving schools the right to limit the school choices of a grad transfer. If it's in there and I'm missing it, can you bold it or only quote the relevant part?

Sure:

A graduate student who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of an institution other than the institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree may participate in intercollegiate athletics if the student fulfills the conditions of the one-time transfer exception set forth in Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10

Which he does not because he plays basketball which doesn't fulfill part (a) of the bylaw referenced above:

(a) The student is a participant in a sport other than baseball, basketball, bowl subdivision football or men's ice hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring.

It goes on...

A graduate student who does not meet the one-time transfer exception due to the restrictions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10-(a) shall qualify for this exception, provided:

(c) The student's previous institution did not renew his or her athletically related financial aid for the following academic year.

So, if Pitt doesn't approve of where he's going, they can renew his scholarship for the following academic year, making him ineligible.

Reactions: BillyL
This thread has gotten too long. Can someone remind me what other schools he's looking at.

I'm assuming he's crossed Arizona and Kentucky off his list because of returning players who will bump him down the bench. But what teams does that leave?

I seem to recall that Oregon is on his list. They lost a lot of talent. So no worries about PT. But with so many gone, will they be good enough for him to get the satisfaction of playing with a good team?

Who else?

Wouldn't surprise me if Roy has CJ sit out against Pitt, just as a courtesy. Not likely to affect the outcome, since Pitt will suck.

Wouldn't surprise me if Roy has CJ sit out against Pitt, just as a courtesy. Not likely to affect the outcome, since Pitt will suck.
Ok we do that during regular season. Fine. What about potentially ACCT? And some miracle in NCAAT? Can't take chances then.
Unless you say, just regular season encounter, after that all bets are off.

Ok we do that during regular season. Fine. What about potentially ACCT? And some miracle in NCAAT? Can't take chances then.
Unless you say, just regular season encounter, after that all bets are off.
I think you can safely rule out the NCAA miracle. I was thinking regular season, but maybe even in the ACCT. Just think of it as resting CJ.

I wasn't actually thinking of this as a deal between the schools. Just something that Roy might do without any fanfare simply to not rub salt into Stallings' wounds.

Is it just me being bias or does it appear that Pitt is getting hammered in the media for their present position regarding Cameron?

Is it just me being bias or does it appear that Pitt is getting hammered in the media for their present position regarding Cameron?
It's not just you and it's not just Pitt either. Every school that has tried to stop a transfer has received bad press. Not sure why schools even do it when they know it's going to be bad PR.

it ain't you , but crickets coming from them. dookies did same to Sirk.

Pitt knows that this will eventually blow over and the talking heads will move on to something new. They can lay low and stick to their policy if they truly want to and this will all go away sooner or later. We'll see what they do but they haven't folded yet.

Pitt knows that this will eventually blow over and the talking heads will move on to something new. They can lay low and stick to their policy if they truly want to and this will all go away sooner or later. We'll see what they do but they haven't folded yet.
I agree with this

Yeah, but for much longer than that, lots of fans will hate them. And not just UNC fans, either. Fans who think the Pitt folks are behaving like jerks and mistreating their players.

Moreover, for a while, every time we play them, Roy is going to hurt them.

And finally, they get NOTHING out of it because they still don't get to keep Johnson.

This was a bad decision. This is Assad thinking he could just smack down the Arab Spring protests 6 years ago. Well, OK, maybe not that bad. But pretty bad for a game.

Reactions: Archer2
Won't blow over if Cameron announces on Twitter he wants to go to UNC and Pitt is blocking him. Only blows over if Cameron Johnson lets it.

I expect the worst case scenario. Pitt's pretty much showing they're fine with the negative publicity, despite 2 new articles popping up every day. I don't know what progress, if any, Roy has made with the Pitt administration, but this doesn't really look like it's going to work in our favor. Just the delaying the inevitable.

JMO.

He'll be playing fir us next season. Pitt is in a no win situation. He's graduated and been a good representative for their university He isn't going to be playing for them next year, regardless of what they do. So all this negative publicity just makes them seem petty. In the end, I think they will see this and release him to play next year.

Reactions: Steat
He'll be playing fir us next season. Pitt is in a no win situation. He's graduated and been a good representative for their university He isn't going to be playing for them next year, regardless of what they do. So all this negative publicity just makes them seem petty. In the end, I think they will see this and release him to play next year.
I hope you are right.

The problem is, the longer they wait, the less good it does to release him, because the "damage" has been so publicized. A quick turnaround is like a quick apology. It wipes the slate pretty clean. But the longer they wait, the more it will look like a grudging, forced apology, which no one will believe is sincere. It won't undo the damage.

Or at least that's how Pitt may view it.

If you think the damage is already done, there's little incentive to change course. You still have the (dubious) benefit of not setting a precedent that could be used against you in the future to challenge other transfer/release rulings.

I hope you are right.

The problem is, the longer they wait, the less good it does to release him, because the "damage" has been so publicized. A quick turnaround is like a quick apology. It wipes the slate pretty clean. But the longer they wait, the more it will look like a grudging, forced apology, which no one will believe is sincere. It won't undo the damage.

Or at least that's how Pitt may view it.

If you think the damage is already done, there's little incentive to change course. You still have the (dubious) benefit of not setting a precedent that could be used against you in the future to challenge other transfer/release rulings.

People are overestimating this "negative publicity". Pitt's already in the pits (pun slightly intended) anyway. They can't really go any further done at this point.

People are overestimating this "negative publicity". Pitt's already in the pits (pun slightly intended) anyway. They can't really go any further done at this point.
Yeah, I'm afraid the publicity impact may be overestimated as there's really no tangible downside for Pitt, and as some have said, the public attention span will eventually wane.

That being said, I can't help but like our friend @Steat 's eternal optimism on this, so who knows?... maybe it'll still work out...

I dont think an OV would have happenend if Roy isn't making progress with Pitt

People are overestimating this "negative publicity". Pitt's already in the pits (pun slightly intended) anyway. They can't really go any further down at this point.

I thought the same about Tiger Woods. Keep hope alive!

elC4IW.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Yeah, I'm afraid the publicity impact may be overestimated as there's really no tangible downside for Pitt, and as some have said, the public attention span will eventually wane.

That being said, I can't help but like our friend @Steat 's eternal optimism on this, so who knows?... maybe it'll still work out...

I thought the same about Tiger Woods. Keep hope alive!

elC4IW.gif

Yeah, as always I'm still hoping to be pleasantly surprised in this case.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
This thread has gotten too long. Can someone remind me what other schools he's looking at.

I'm assuming he's crossed Arizona and Kentucky off his list because of returning players who will bump him down the bench. But what teams does that leave?

I seem to recall that Oregon is on his list. They lost a lot of talent. So no worries about PT. But with so many gone, will they be good enough for him to get the satisfaction of playing with a good team?

Who else?
AZ, Oregon, uk, UCLA already visited. We are his final official.

Well, I like your optimism.

Pitt was not an original member of the ACC... Therefore, their lack of understanding what real First Class Actions look like is apparent. I secretly hope that the young man visits and decides to attend UNC. Then, the entire world will know about Pitt NOW!

Gif is a moving picture. OOTB is a forum on this site. Means out of the blue

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT