ADVERTISEMENT

UNC is aiming for Cameron Johnson

As long as the school is willing to renew your scholarship you are under the transfer rules. Unless you want ot go JUCO or D2, you're gonna have to sit out a year unless you are eligible to benefit from the Grad transfer rule. The intraconference restriction is perfectly understandable. What if Kenny Williams graduates early? Would you want him jumping to UVA? I wouldn't.

It's really not about what we, as fans, want. However if, for whatever reason in that situation, that was in his best interest as well as what he wanted, he should be able to do it, regardless of UNC's AD wanting to be petty.

And we know Roy certainly wouldn't be that kind of petty.

As long as the school is willing to renew your scholarship you are under the transfer rules. Unless you want ot go JUCO or D2, you're gonna have to sit out a year unless you are eligible to benefit from the Grad transfer rule. The intraconference restriction is perfectly understandable. What if Kenny Williams graduates early? Would you want him jumping to UVA? I wouldn't.

Fedora allowed TJ Thorpe to transfer to UVa and play immediately. I think he became a starter for the Hoos. I didn't care at all. Good for Thorpe. He wanted a situation that suited him better and because he was a good kid that left on good terms, Fedora wanted to accommodate.

Cal will probably figure out a way to convince this kid to come to UK if the ruling isn't changed. That is really our only help! Someone tell Jay Bilas to keeping tweeting his displeasure at Pitt!!!

Fedora allowed TJ Thorpe to transfer to UVa and play immediately. I think he became a starter for the Hoos. I didn't care at all. Good for Thorpe. He wanted a situation that suited him better and because he was a good kid that left on good terms, Fedora wanted to accommodate.
Oh I know it happens, but it should be the school's discretion. If Larry was cool with it, then fine. However. one wonders if his answer would've been the same if the player in question was, say. Mitch Trubisky?...

Plus, let's be honest, football and basketball are WAY different as to the impact of one player.

Reactions: persp
Look, Cam was expected back at Pitt this season and would have been the focal point of the offense there. The team (whatever is left of it) was counting on him to carry the torch. He decided to bail instead.

Fine. Do what you have to do, but then Pitt should be allowed to do what it has to do to protect the team moving forward, which includes playing against Cam in the upcoming seasons. Why should Pitt be expected to bend over backwards to allow him to compete against his old team?

Yes, Pitt will be a trainwreck for the foreseeable future, but that doesn't meant that they should just take it on the chin when a player seeks greener pastures for selfish reasons. If Pitt is being selfish here, the absolutely so are the Johnsons.

Reactions: gary-7
It's really not about what we, as fans, want. However if, for whatever reason in that situation, that was in his best interest as well as what he wanted, he should be able to do it, regardless of UNC's AD wanting to be petty.

And we know Roy certainly wouldn't be that kind of petty.
That would be far from being "petty", unless there was a really good reason for the kid to go there... and Johnson has no such in-state ties to UNC as KW would have with UVA and Bennett.

And again, an intraconference restriction is not "petty". It is a solid rule. Hell, next folks will be wanting players to be de facto free agents after every season. I'm all about being flexible but at some point there have to be rules.

Reactions: persp
I really was not upset that we didn't get KNox because I did not see him as a game changer in his one and only season in college ball, would have been very different if he were to be in the college game for 2 or 3yrs. I do think we could get a bit more from Cam Johnson than we would have from Knox as a frosh, felt Whitman was a guy we should have snagged because he was much more a position of need and double so if Tony stays in the draft. Not really going to sweat Cam all that much but do think he could help us.

Way I see it, with but even more so without Tony, I see our front court as struggling, hope I am wrong but to lose Meeks and Hicks is big enough but add losing Tony and all we have is Luke with any experience. I think we will struggle because of this and I don't know that our back court will be able to cover the front court lack of experience.

So if we are going to struggle anyway, I would kinda like to see what BRob can do with extended PT backing up Theo at the 3. If we get Cam then Cam Backs up Theo. Let the frosh bigs gain experience by playing why not go ahead and do the same for BRob, get him solid minutes backing up Theo or when Theo moves to the 4. I do think we could get to the sweet 16 but without Tony or if Tony does not how a big time leap from frosh to soph (which I do expect him to do if he comes back) I don't think we get past the sweet 16. With a soph leap from Tony, maybe the final 8.

At this point he is no longer a student-athlete at Pitt or even just a student. How does the same rule apply. How can he be considered a transfer? He's graduated. Sounds to me like he's a bonafide free agent to go where he pleases without penalty.

At this point he is no longer a student-athlete at Pitt or even just a student. How does the same rule apply. How can he be considered a transfer? He's graduated. Sounds to me like he's a bonafide free agent to go where he pleases without penalty.
A bachelors degree is not the sole determinant of being a student. That is, after all, why they call it "grad transfer". And even that only works if you can show that another school offers a graduate degree program your current school does not.

I agree. The kid has graduated. Pitt sent the email at 3am in the morning to TOS. Now, they didn't send it to the university. Why? Does that tell you something? Pitt will relent soon...count on it.

I got you but I still struggle with this..."as long as the school is willing to renew your scholarship"...so what matters here is the school and not the kid? The kid went to Pitt and got his degree....he is free to go wherever he wants as far as I am concerned. If Kenny Williams graduates early, I would not WANT him to go anywhere, but if the kid chooses to and it is right for the young man....good luck brother and I hope it works for you!!! I think that Frank Martin at USC had a good response to the transfer situation.....We all go to college to "make a better life." Transfers r part of it. Different reasons for transfers. I've got no problem with it!!!

I really was not upset that we didn't get KNox because I did not see him as a game changer in his one and only season in college ball, would have been very different if he were to be in the college game for 2 or 3yrs. I do think we could get a bit more from Cam Johnson than we would have from Knox as a frosh, felt Whitman was a guy we should have snagged because he was much more a position of need and double so if Tony stays in the draft. Not really going to sweat Cam all that much but do think he could help us.

Way I see it, with but even more so without Tony, I see our front court as struggling, hope I am wrong but to lose Meeks and Hicks is big enough but add losing Tony and all we have is Luke with any experience. I think we will struggle because of this and I don't know that our back court will be able to cover the front court lack of experience.

So if we are going to struggle anyway, I would kinda like to see what BRob can do with extended PT backing up Theo at the 3. If we get Cam then Cam Backs up Theo. Let the frosh bigs gain experience by playing why not go ahead and do the same for BRob, get him solid minutes backing up Theo or when Theo moves to the 4. I do think we could get to the sweet 16 but without Tony or if Tony does not how a big time leap from frosh to soph (which I do expect him to do if he comes back) I don't think we get past the sweet 16. With a soph leap from Tony, maybe the final 8.
Dave, I agree with much of this, and there is no getting around the fact that Tony leaving would be a huge blow. It would definitely force Roy into an altered personnel approach. And since that eventuality is a likely scenario (personally I'm only giving us about a 20% chance with TB at this point, and even that is mostly because of his disappointing evaluations). I'm normally skeptical of grad transfers into our system, but having a Cam Johnson come in would certainly help us play Small and maintain some size whilst doing so. And if Roy thinks he fits and it somehow works out, then fine.

However I disagree as to this team's potential. IF TB comes back we have FF talent. We have quite simply the best PG in college BB (who also happens to be a knock-down shooter when healthy) who is a Senior, we have our Swiss Army Knife in Theo, and I expect BIG leaps from KW and BRob offensively that will help make up for the JJ's lost offensive fire-power. And don't underestimate Luke F***ing Maye, whom I predict will prove to be what some of us said all along --- a very versatile and producive starter for us by his Junior season. Also don't underestimate what Jalek can potentially bring to the table. I know I'll feel a lot better when JB rests if #5 is handling the rock, and he and Platek give us more shooters form the wing. I also think 7th can thrive if he's moved off the ball. Tony would give us that coveted aircraft carrier in the box who can also run the floor and face up, and it would allow the Big pups to develop at their own pace.

Moreover remember this --- KW is already a "plus" defender and I think Theo is ready to buy in to what Roy has been telling him and step up to "plus" level himself (and of course we already know JB is the Dog). Tony would give us that rim-protector to seal the deal.

Unfortunately, chances are we go into this without the big fella, but hey, do NOT underestimate Roy's ability to adapt. He's stubborn and likes doing things a certain way, but he's a great coach who'll do what it takes to succeed. Remember, most college teams don't have the luxury of the sort of Bigs we're accustomed to. So we'll just hafta play some more perimeter ball. If so, I like our personnel. And if so, I wouldn't be surprised to see JB put up Phil Ford numbers this season.

Last edited:
I agree. The kid has graduated. Pitt sent the email at 3am in the morning to TOS. Now, they didn't send it to the university. Why? Does that tell you something? Pitt will relent soon...count on it.
Well, they sent an email only because someone at another site simply asked them to clarify their position on the matter.

They aren't obligated (nor is there any need) to send UNC anything. The rule is what it is. Now, IF they relent THEN they would send something our way,

Well, they sent an email only because someone at another site simply asked them to clarify their position on the matter.

They aren't obligated (nor is there any need) to send UNC anything. The rule is what it is. Now, IF they relent THEN they would send something our way,

Just a matter of time folks!

Check this out..... The kid wants to play for UNC only.

He will be on campus this weekend....my prediction. Pitt will cave..

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article151956127.html

If they do, you can thank Stallings and his relationship with Roy. The AD is within his rights and has good reason to stand firm, so Kevin would likely have to be the guy who not only gives his blessing but also convinces him to relent.

They just got a new AD (lady) who was not in on this. She just came on board. UNC granted release on a football player a few years ago. Cam will be released....bet on it.

They just got a new AD (lady) who was not in on this. She just came on board. UNC granted release on a football player a few years ago. Cam will be released....bet on it.
Interesting, but I think you may be giving that article an optimistic reading, my brother. Johnson has already gone thru Pitt's appeals process and they upheld the sit-out restriction. In other words, someone amongst Pitt's PTBs will have to decide to relent as they are under no legal obligation.

Cam's a good player and a good student and several schools including UNC would be glad to have him, but if he wants to play immediately that is entirely up to Pitt as to whether he can do that in Chapel Hill. Maybe you'll be right and they will relent. We shall see...

Interesting, but I think you may be giving that article an optimistic reading, my brother. Johnson has already gone thru Pitt's appeals process and they upheld the sit-out restriction. In other words, someone amongst Pitt's PTBs will have to decide to relent as they are under no legal obligation.

Cam's a good player and a good student and several schools including UNC would be glad to have him, but if he wants to play immediately that is entirely up to Pitt as to whether he can do that in Chapel Hill. Maybe you'll be right and they will relent. We shall see...

@gary-7 I'm curious where you've seen this rule, or where there is a rule that says "it is entirely up to Pitt"? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I've not seen any rule giving schools discretion to limit grad transfers as long as they are enrolling in a program that their current school does not offer. Do you (or anyone else) have a citation of the rule where the current school can limit a grad transfer's choice by making them sit out a year?

I LOVE 58s post a little earlier .The old Engelbert reference.... IF this young man comes here that tune should be his theme song in the upcoming year.

Dave, I agree with much of this, and there is no getting around the fact that Tony leaving would be a huge blow. It would definitely force Roy into an altered personnel approach. And since that eventuality is a likely scenario (personally I'm only giving us about a 20% chance with TB at this point, and even that is mostly because of his disappointing evaluations). I'm normally skeptical of grad transfers into our system, but having a Cam Johnson come in would certainly help us play Small and maintain some size whilst doing so. And if Roy thinks he fits and it somehow works out, then fine.

However I disagree as to this team's potential. IF TB comes back we have FF talent. We have quite simply the best PG in college BB (who also happens to be a knock-down shooter when healthy) who is a Senior, we have our Swiss Army Knife in Theo, and I expect BIG leaps from KW and BRob offensively that will help make up for the JJ's lost offensive fire-power. And don't underestimate Luke F***ing Maye, whom I predict will prove to be what some of us said all along --- a very versatile and producive starter for us by his Junior season. Also don't underestimate what Jalek can potentially bring to the table. I know I'll feel a lot better when JB rests if #5 is handling the rock, and he and Platek give us more shooters form the wing. I also think 7th can thrive if he's moved off the ball. Tony would give us that coveted aircraft carrier in the box who can also run the floor and face up, and it would allow the Big pups to develop at their own pace.

Moreover remember this --- KW is already a "plus" defender and I think Theo is ready to buy in to what Roy has been telling him and step up to "plus" level himself (and of course we already know JB is the Dog). Tony would give us that rim-protector to seal the deal.

Unfortunately, chances are we go into this without the big fella, but hey, do NOT understimate Roy's ability to adapt. He's stubborn and likes doing things a certain way, but he's a great coach who'll do what it takes to succeed. Remember, most college teams don't have the luxury of the sort of Bigs we're accustomed to. So we'll just hafta play some more perimeter ball. If so, I like our personnel. And if so, I wouldn't be surprised to see JB put up Phil Ford numbers this season.

This is an extremely accurate representation of our team next season if TB comes back. It would be VERY fun to watch.

Unfortunately, chances are we go into this without the big fella, but hey, do NOT underestimate Roy's ability to adapt. He's stubborn and likes doing things a certain way, but he's a great coach who'll do what it takes to succeed. Remember, most college teams don't have the luxury of the sort of Bigs we're accustomed to. So we'll just hafta play some more perimeter ball. If so, I like our personnel. And if so, I wouldn't be surprised to see JB put up Phil Ford numbers this season.

The thought that keeps popping into my head concerning our potentially very thin, or inexperienced at least, front line is "compared to what?". We are certainly accustomed to having quality, experienced depth but most of our competition did not. I would expect that more dependence on wing players would make us less consistent and perhaps more explosive. As stated, it could be a lot of fun, when it's not frustrating at least. I know there is nobody I'd rather have than Roy to figure it out and coach em up!

Reactions: gary-7
@gary-7 I'm curious where you've seen this rule, or where there is a rule that says "it is entirely up to Pitt"? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I've not seen any rule giving schools discretion to limit grad transfers as long as they are enrolling in a program that their current school does not offer. Do you (or anyone else) have a citation of the rule where the current school can limit a grad transfer's choice by making them sit out a year?
Ncaa transfer rules allow the institution to limit transfer destinations at tge institutions discretion.

Gary, I get where ya coming from but in order for us to be a final 4 team if Tony were to come back (which I am not expecting) IMO Tony would need to take a big time leap in his game. Now I would expect a big leap from him but how much is a question mark that I would have to see before believing we would be a final 4 level contender. I do think Brooks and Huffman can give us solid play but again, they are both freshmen and it usually takes our bigs a while to produce at the level we would need to be a final 4 team.

Love Luke as a guy off the bench that comes in and plays smart and hits the open look, not excited at the thought of Luke playing 30+mins. Luke played better than anyone could have expected last season but I think we can admit he is athletically limited, gets all he can out of that but it has to be a concern.

I do think we have a final 4 quality back court but with or without Tony, not sold that we have the back court to get us that far. Just IMO.

I think Roy's relationship with Stallings is going to be the key here.

Not really much else in play besides that. Public Pressure can't really do much when they have the legal authority here. The only other option is to make an appeal to the NCAA, which he'd have to do by actually signing with UNC and taking the chance that he may not be able to play next year, which I don't see him doing.

We won't be a final 4 team unless tony comes, Johnson comes, and Felton is a legit oad type player.

Gary, I get where ya coming from but in order for us to be a final 4 team if Tony were to come back (which I am not expecting) IMO Tony would need to take a big time leap in his game. Now I would expect a big leap from him but how much is a question mark that I would have to see before believing we would be a final 4 level contender. I do think Brooks and Huffman can give us solid play but again, they are both freshmen and it usually takes our bigs a while to produce at the level we would need to be a final 4 team.

Love Luke as a guy off the bench that comes in and plays smart and hits the open look, not excited at the thought of Luke playing 30+mins. Luke played better than anyone could have expected last season but I think we can admit he is athletically limited, gets all he can out of that but it has to be a concern.

I do think we have a final 4 quality back court but with or without Tony, not sold that we have the back court to get us that far. Just IMO.
Well, Luke didn't play better than I expected, and not every starter has to be an athletic freak. I'm actually excited about him starting. He's our second best shooter and a true stretch-4.

Now again, even if TB returns (we'll know tomorrow, BTW) we are not loaded and frontline depth will certainly be an issue to watch, but as I said, few teams have that sort of luxury these days. It is correctly said that Guard play often wins college championships and that's what it will have to be with this team. That's also why TB is so important. Good Guards paired with one big-time Big can go a long way. (Felton/McCants/May, e.g.)

With Carolina's system specifically though, it's more about PG play than anything. We've got the best this season so we'll always have a fighting chance.

Reactions: CarolinaBlue5
Luke Maye will really stretch out opposing defenses, making it easier for our young bigs! I'm excited about him getting more minutes too, especially if he can improve defensively! Which I totally expect him too bc of his work ethic

We won't be a final 4 team unless tony comes, Johnson comes, and Felton is a legit oad type player.
Jalek is as good --- actually better --- than advertised. Tony is key. Johnson is a luxury if Tony returns, more important if not... but he's likely not coming anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT