ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs Ga Tech Gamethread

I like the way we're rotating our backs, although it's a shame Antonio isn't getting a few more touches. We are fortunate to have three quality backs.

Antonio Williams 10 rushes, 64 yards, 6.4 YPA
Michael Carter 84 rushes, 387 yards, 4.6 YPA
Javonte Williams 83 rushes, 492 yards, 5.9 YPA

I do feel Antonio may very well get more PT as the season progresses. Our level of competition will be a bit less difficult and hopefully we won't have so many games going down to the wire. And I'm not even going to mention the elephant in the room.

I was watching The Huddle on ACCN, and they all concluded that the Heels are destined to be a very powerful team, offensively. I mean, like... REALLY powerful.

I just hope they can regain the defensive strength that Mack had back in the late 90s.
With Sam, the WRs and RBs coming back, along with a more experienced OL, we should be putting up big numbers next season for sure.

I was watching The Huddle on ACCN, and they all concluded that the Heels are destined to be a very powerful team, offensively. I mean, like... REALLY powerful.

I just hope they can regain the defensive strength that Mack had back in the late 90s.

I think the defense call also be strong if we keep Bateman on the staff long term

Bateman is a helluva coach and we’ve got one of the best defensive recruiting classes we’ve ever had coming in next year. Especially if we get Desmond Evans. If the freshman are ready to contribute next year then I think the defense will be much improved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
Bateman is a helluva coach and we’ve got one of the best defensive recruiting classes we’ve ever had coming in next year. Especially if we get Desmond Evans. If the freshman are ready to contribute next year then I think the defense will be much improved.
The biggest worry about next year's D I have right now is the middle of the DL. Crawford and Strowbridge will both graduate, and none of the youngsters have come close to stepping up.

We may need a Grad transfer DT just to have some age and experience in the middle of the DL.

The biggest worry about next year's D I have right now is the middle of the DL. Crawford and Strowbridge will both graduate, and none of the youngsters have come close to stepping up.

We may need a Grad transfer DT just to have some age and experience in the middle of the DL.
Perhaps, but I imagine we'll just have to roll with youthful exuberance, more raw talent, and another year of schematic knowledge. At least our LB corp should be experienced and their game to game improvement has been a very pleasant surprise according to the staff. Our biggest issue is building depth.

A grad transfer wouldn't hurt. Also the opening should be motivation for KBJ and Pinder to get after it in the weight room and at the dinner table between now and arriving on campus, to try and physically prepare for playing time as freshmen.

A grad transfer wouldn't hurt. Also the opening should be motivation for KBJ and Pinder to get after it in the weight room and at the dinner table between now and arriving on campus, to try and physically prepare for playing time as freshmen.
I'm sure they're thinking that very thing. They have to see immediate PT staring them right in the face, at minimum as second stringers with the potential to possibly start. Both are very talented. Get there in the spring, start working with Brian Hess, and get a head start on learning the staff/system.

Don't forget Murphy. There has been one projection that he will play next year at 300 lbs. If he gets that large and keeps the level of quickness he has, he could be dominating right in the middle.

Yeah, all three could get PT next year. Another incoming freshman who might make the two deep at OLB is Ethan West. He was offered by LSU, Michigan, Texas A&M, to name a few. Smith, Ross, and Cater are all seniors. Flint was showing promise but will be coming off a torn ACL. Asante should get a lot of PT as well.

The bottom line is we need immediate depth at LB, even if all four starters(Gemmel, Surratt, and the Fox brothers) return, as they should.

Overall, we have a young team that should only get better as they learn the systems and gain more experience and strength.

ADVERTISEMENT