ADVERTISEMENT

UNC -vs- LBSU Game Thread (UNC loses 6-1)

Re: UNC -vs- LBSU Game Thread

Originally posted by sctarheel30:

cue the circus music because that's what the 4th inning was like a bunch of clowns running around
clown.r191677.gif

Kelley retires the side after a bit of a battle with the final batter.

Heels still trail 6-0 heading into the 6th.

Zach Daily gets an infield single but then is thrown out stealing for the 3rd out. We finally get a base runner and squander it. I'm probably out of line but Coach Fox has really ticked me off with some of the steal attempts this season. It's like basketball...you can't get it all back on one play.

6-0 LBSU middle of the 6th. Kelley still on for UNC.

Kelley retires the side again. I believe that's 8 straight batters.

Aside from the disastrous 2/3rds of an inning in the 6th, the Heels have looked good on defense. But man it was bad.

6-0 LBSU T7.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
Good outing so far
blackeye.r191677.gif
Honestly, 2/3rds of an inning did us in. Heels have looked great otherwise, but like a Pee Wee team for that one stretch.
story of the year

Originally posted by sctarheel30:

cue the circus music because that's what the 4th inning was like a bunch of clowns running around
clown.r191677.gif

Kelley retires the side after a bit of a battle with the final batter.

Heels still trail 6-0 heading into the 6th.
roll.r191677.gif

Zengel with a 2-out double T8. Michael Massardo comes in to pinch run.

Would love to get something on the board here to replace that goose egg. Crooked numbers preferred.

Zengel with a 2-out double T8. Michael Massardo comes in to pinch run.

Would love to get something on the board here to replace that goose egg. Crooked numbers preferred.

no luck though

Hard hit ball by Daly but a diving save by the LBSU 3rd baseman and he makes the throw in time to 1st.

This game has exemplified the entire season for UNC:

1) Poor situational hitting
2) Base-running mistakes
3) Failure to make basic defensive plays
4) Can't catch a break

About time! Lassiter drives one to shallow center which scores Adam Pate (pinch-running for Russell).

That'll do it for the LBSU pitcher, who had a hell of a day today. Big props to him.

Heels trail 6-1 T9 with 1 out and a runner on.

Two fly balls -- the second of which made the warning track -- end the game.

UNC heads to the losers bracket after losing 6-1 to Long Beach State. They'll play the loser of the Florida/College of Charleston game, which starts at 7 tonight.

The baseball team has floundered, and the lacrosse team underachieved yet again.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
The baseball team has floundered, and the lacrosse team underachieved yet again.
By Carolina's (extremely high) standards, this was an incredibly poor year for athletics, from top to bottom.

By Carolina's (extremely high) standards, this was an incredibly poor year for athletics, from top to bottom.
This seems to be the prevalent opinion, but I don't buy it for a second. People are complaining because UNC didn't win any championships this year, conference or otherwise. I'm just getting on my soapbox here, but I hate that attitude. As if a season was bad just because we didn't win it all.

On the contrary, UNC finished at or near the top of the conference standings in almost every sport. No, that doesn't feel as good as a championship, but it sure isn't enough to declare it an "incredibly poor" year either. In fact, UNC is sitting at 6th nationally in the most recent release (May 29) of the Directors' Cup standings.

So get outta here with that stuff. Most schools would love to experience the kind of success UNC athletics has, this year and most every year.

Originally posted by HeelFan58:

To state the obvious: We need some clutch hitting for next year.
No doubt, Coach Fox is a proven great recruiter, and coach, but as advertised this was supposed to be a rebuilding year and the boys still made the tourney!! I'm hoping Coach has some gems coming in and keep the Diamond Heels as one of the elites in College Baseball, because I absolutely love watching Carolina Baseball!!!

This seems to be the prevalent opinion, but I don't buy it for a second. People are complaining because UNC didn't win any championships this year, conference or otherwise. I'm just getting on my soapbox here, but I hate that attitude. As if a season was bad just because we didn't win it all.

On the contrary, UNC finished at or near the top of the conference standings in almost every sport. No, that doesn't feel as good as a championship, but it sure isn't enough to declare it an "incredibly poor" year either. In fact, UNC is sitting at 6th nationally in the most recent release (May 29) of the Directors' Cup standings.

So get outta here with that stuff. Most schools would love to experience the kind of success UNC athletics has, this year and most every year.
RH, you missed where I said "extremely high" standards.

No question we had successes in every sport and no question, 99% of other schools would LOVE to have the 'down year' we had this year. Still, I maintain that by our incredibly high standards, it wasn't a good athletics year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT