ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer Retires

MWHeels

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
Ryan Day will take over as the new head coach after the Rose Bowl.

I think he may actually be gone for good this time. Florida was a mess when he left there, but Ohio State has been dominating the Big Ten even with the additions of Harbaugh and Franklin.

Until about a year from now when he takes the USC job.
That is possible.

It is true that he has health issues, bad headaches are common. And the SC job fits that: moving to low humidity dry air will help him.

Helton may survive if they bring in Kingsbury, although I've heard rumors that the Rams are also going hard after him.

I'm a little surprised Ohio State is promoting Day and not going after a more high profile name. They are one of the top programs in the country in terms of name value.

I'm a little surprised Ohio State is promoting Day and not going after a more high profile name. They are one of the top programs in the country in terms of name value.
If you have a young coordinator that you are convinced can be a good HC and your HC leaves, you hire the young coordinator.

My guess during the late summer was that Meyer would step down and Matt Campbell would get the job. But Day has greatly impressed the Ohio St people.

That is possible.

It is true that he has health issues, bad headaches are common. And the SC job fits that: moving to low humidity dry air will help him.
I was mostly joking about the USC job, but it wouldn't shock me at all if he suddenly was good enough to coach again in another year. Especially, if he goes to a new conference where he has a chance to be the big dog. He left Florida when Saban stole his thunder, and was miraculously ok a year later. In the B1G - even though Michigan can't beat osu yet - Harbaugh is challenging him for supremacy.

In case it isn't obvious, I don't think very highly of Meyer...

Reactions: Littlejon
I was mostly joking about the USC job, but it wouldn't shock me at all if he suddenly was good enough to coach again in another year. Especially, if he goes to a new conference where he has a chance to be the big dog. He left Florida when Saban stole his thunder, and was miraculously ok a year later. In the B1G - even though Michigan can't beat osu yet - Harbaugh is challenging him for supremacy.

In case it isn't obvious, I don't think very highly of Meyer...

Harbaugh has been a massive disappointment at Michigan. I don't think he has any wins against truly elite teams since he's been back.

The thing Meyer said that I think most marked his character is his explanation why he took the Florida job when he was ready to leave Utah. Meyer grew up in OH a Buckeyes fan and a Notre Dame fan. There was no conflict, as there would have been if he had been a fan of the Irish and the Spartans or Wolverines because ND did not play Ohio St.

ND also wanted Meyer at the time, and he took the Florida job because it would be easier to recruit really well there and win a National Championship.

I would have taken my childhood favorite, and ben doubly glad to know that it would be tougher to win it all there because the school would not admit all the criminally violent types that a Florida will and does, regardless of coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT