ADVERTISEMENT

US Open @ Pinehurst #2

gteeitup

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2001
Columbia, SC
your top three and score…lol the greens are strupid, again…not the #2 i grew up playing.

hovland
morikawa
scheffler

I went to Thursday round in 1999. Was awesome.

Scottie
Bryson
Brooks

Darkhorse: Hideki

Winning score: -4

Had an opportunity to work for 3 weeks before and during the Open. Could have worked in Transportation and made a mint in tips. I'm in Minnesota now. Yall shoulda seen some of the looks I was getting with my Washington Redskins shirt on.

I used to work in Pinehurst at the resort from 95-98. Lotta rich, snooty acting shitstains live in Pinehurst and surrounding areas.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Had an opportunity to work for 3 weeks before and during the Open. Could have worked in Transportation and made a mint in tips. I'm in Minnesota now. Yall shoulda seen some of the looks I was getting with my Washington Redskins shirt on.

I used to work in Pinehurst at the resort from 95-98. Lotta rich, snooty acting shitstains live in Pinehurst and surrounding areas.

It’s a weird place for sure. Kind of a dump outside the golf courses and boring AF.

I'm not sure when Cantlay teed off but I suspect his tee time tomorrow will present a more challenging condition.
yeah, he’ll be opposite tomorrow, early afternoon…all these guys playing right now are early tomorrow so anything under par is phenomenal.

curious if the usga is cool with this…i’ll assume they are and won’t dry it out…this is a perfect test right now.

I don’t disagree. #2 from all accounts is a real test and I think pros generally like the course and feel it’s fair. However, from a viewing standpoint, #2 doesn’t excite us at home watching on TV. It’s not Pebble, Torrey Pines, Chambers Bay or Congressional. Pinehurst #2 is drab and dull from a TV viewing standpoint. Even in person, it lacks scenic value, which is a reason casual golfers play golf. It’s just….blah.

I don’t disagree. #2 from all accounts is a real test and I think pros generally like the course and feel it’s fair. However, from a viewing standpoint, #2 doesn’t excite us at home watching on TV. It’s not Pebble, Torrey Pines, Chambers Bay or Congressional. Pinehurst #2 is drab and dull from a TV viewing standpoint. Even in person, it lacks scenic value, which is a reason casual golfers play golf. It’s just….blah.
but that's exactly why it does appeal to me. It isn't prettied up for aesthetic appeal and our viewing pleasure, it is what it is and as it should be. Pro golf can play to the casual golfer the rest of the season; at the U.S. Open I want ugly....so ugly it's beautiful.

It's one of the few times I can see a course on TV and say 'that's for real'.

And an extra added attraction to me is that they aren't wasting obscene amounts of water just so somebody can sit on the sofa and zone out to a more vivid shade of green. Screw that. Just give me the challenging golf.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
I am here at Pinehurst for the open....really hot and this golf course is a brute...a couple of birdie holes but the native grasses and waste areas can ruin a round. Cannot be aggressive at all constant defensive play from tee to these diabolical greens that require tremendous accuracy and precision. The mad scientist is leading but Rory wants this one badly.Should be a really good final round...gonna go with the Big bomber to hoist the trophy for the 2nd time.

i think that’s the exact reason it’s now an anchor usga site…it’s a stand alone course and setup…not sure there are greens like this anywhere, which is another draw.

i’m personally not a fan of chambers bay, but i see why it works on tv…same with whistling straits and erin hills.

I don't keep up well enough to know if DeChambeau is in favor now or not, but I've always liked him. I think I'm partial to people who bring something different to the game as he does with his same-length irons, etc... It's nice to see a fresh take on golf from time to time, kind of like John Daly brought "grip it and rip it" and Tiger Woods got the players realizing that being in great physical shape can really make a difference.

I like Rory just fine, but have to wonder if he'd have still stormed off the course had it not been a LIV golfer that he ended up losing to?

Reactions: bluetoe
I don't keep up well enough to know if DeChambeau is in favor now or not, but I've always liked him. I think I'm partial to people who bring something different to the game as he does with his same-length irons, etc... It's nice to see a fresh take on golf from time to time, kind of like John Daly brought "grip it and rip it" and Tiger Woods got the players realizing that being in great physical shape can really make a difference.

I like Rory just fine, but have to wonder if he'd have still stormed off the course had it not been a LIV golfer that he ended up losing to?
he was as torn up a loser as I've ever seen short of someone just breaking down and sobbing. I was hoping he didn't have a gun in his vehicle. And, I'm thinking that in addition to the extreme letdown, he couldn't handle the predictable questions about his Scott Hoching those putts.

I was looking forward to a fantastic playoff. It's really a shame, because in all honesty, he and DeChambeau played even and they both deserved to win. But as it all came about, DeChambeau earned it with that stupidly awesome bunker shot.

It was everything a U.S. Open is supposed to be, and much more. It's going to be a tough one to live up to.

BTW, I got the final score right, six under. What did I win?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT